Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Achievements - Pre and post EU

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2016, 04:02 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default British Achievements - Pre and post EU

The stay brigade are fostering the idea that Britain cannot survive alone - Well just have a look at our history in British innovation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nd_discoveries
Old 02 June 2016, 07:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We're great at inventing , not so good at exploiting those inventions
Old 02 June 2016, 08:10 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

And meanwhile, the leave brigade are fostering the idea the Britain can once again become a great empire all on its own
Old 02 June 2016, 08:47 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what is interesting about the list

is just how many of the great British inventions have come from state or state funded institutions - not private enterprise

ironic that the Brexiter's have no faith in state institutions and seek to reduce and remove them

another reason to vote in
Old 02 June 2016, 09:18 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Britain has invaded over 90% of the world's countries, 9 x 10 being a great hit rate so we're tops at that too. Keeping us in the EU may be essential to stop further British adventures into other people's territory. I reckon it would be nice to bag some of the other 10% though.
Old 02 June 2016, 09:42 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Maybe that's why all these world leaders are pro-remain! Its not that they think its better for Britain to remain in the EU, they're just afraid we'll invade them if we leave!
Old 03 June 2016, 11:24 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm sure the pro-remain are extremely sh7tscared of the possibility of Britain taking over the world but some of them call it scaremongery. I don't know why, though. We must not forget that Great Britain is such dog's bollocks by itself. Hard as nails and very self-sustained.

Trending Topics

Old 03 June 2016, 11:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
We're great at inventing , not so good at exploiting those inventions

Meanwhile China copies it, mass produces it and then sells it back to us

Pre EU it was Japan doing it....remember our motorbike industry? Or what about about our HiFi? (BSR invented the automatic record player the Xl1200 or XL1400....Technics did it ten years later with the SL-10 )

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 June 2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04 June 2016, 09:37 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RobJenks
The stay brigade are fostering the idea that Britain cannot survive alone - Well just have a look at our history in British innovation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nd_discoveries
We haven't said we cannot survive alone, rather that we are better off in.

Anyway, past glories are not an indicator of current or future performance. Just ask the Greeks, who gave us science, democracy and conquered much of the ancient world, or, the English football team

The title is odd too, Post EU? Go on then, what achievements have we made post EU?
Old 04 June 2016, 10:22 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pre Eu we stopped scum invading Britain.
Post Eu we let them in and gave them a council house and money to send back to eastern European land.
Old 04 June 2016, 11:49 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Post Eu we let them in and gave them a council house and money to send back to eastern European land.
Just like after the WW2 when all the pesky Poles, Sikhs, jews etc etc who helped us were allowed to stay.
Old 04 June 2016, 11:53 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I hear that pre-EU was the time when the Indian subcontinent immigrants either cleaned Heathrow toilets, came in as doctors or preached Hare Krishna and Hippy-ism to the Western people. Post EU is that the Polish have stolen all the toilet cleaning (and other) jobs from them, but the Polish don't even have anything like 'Hare Polish-Hare Polish' mantra to get the indigenous British all chilled.
Old 04 June 2016, 11:58 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I hear that pre-EU was the time when the Indian subcontinent immigrants either cleaned Heathrow toilets, came in as doctors or preached Hare Krishna and Hippy-ism to the Western people. Post EU is that the Polish have stolen all the toilet cleaning (and other) jobs from them, but the Polish don't even have anything like 'Hare Polish-Hare Polish' mantra to get the indigenous British all chilled.
As I live in leicester I meet a lot of Indians and I find them to be very pleasant friendly folk.
The eastern Europeans I find are awful.
They seem to hang around in groups drinking spitting and being generally unpleasant
Old 04 June 2016, 12:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

As I live in leicester I meet a lot of Indians and I find them to be very pleasant friendly folk.
The eastern Europeans I find are awful.
They seem to hang around in groups drinking spitting and being generally unpleasant
I don't know that many Polish people socially, but one of the good friends is a UK born Polish Jew, with the parental history of the WW2 aftermath. She's one brutally honest, true to self and others and down-to-earth person I've ever met. I have tremendous respect for her. I also know another pleasant Polish Jew who's married a German friend of mine. Another Polish man (he came into the UK on work visa) befriended a gay male mate of mine (he's a British white bloke) and got together with him. He was very possessive and violent toward my mate so it all ended up in tears. My friend is all safe and happy, now. So, I think you get allsorts in every race/culture.
Old 04 June 2016, 12:19 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I don't know that many Polish people socially, but one of the good friends is a UK born Polish Jew, with the parental history of the WW2 aftermath. She's one brutally honest, true to self and others and down-to-earth person I've ever met. I have tremendous respect for her. I also know another pleasant Polish Jew who's married a German friend of mine. Another Polish man (he came into the UK on work visa) befriended a gay male mate of mine (he's a British white bloke) and got together with him. He was very possessive and violent toward my mate so it all ended up in tears. My friend is all safe and happy, now. So, I think you get allsorts in every race/culture.
My experiences are based on the ones that have arrived since 2004.
I have no doubt that mass eu immigration is a bad thing.
Before 2004 I didn't witness groups of foreign men on corners drinking spitting and being abusive.
Now I do everyday .
Old 04 June 2016, 02:48 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

That is a result of UK law, not EU law. Letting them in was an EU thing, but not the rest.