Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Idea,s to slow village traffic.

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2016, 10:32 AM
jukebox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea,s to slow village traffic.

People drive at silly speeds through our small village, local council asking us to put idea,s forward to slow them down, >> so what do you think ???
Old 03 April 2016, 11:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Concrete blocks and axle breaking sleeping policeman halfway across the road alternate sides 100metres apart will slow them down quite a lot

with traffic streaming signs of course
Old 03 April 2016, 12:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

those "nudge" speed indicators at the beginning of villages work quite well

we have had them installed in our village - I think they are pretty good
Old 03 April 2016, 01:03 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jukebox
People drive at silly speeds through our small village, local council asking us to put idea,s forward to slow them down, >> so what do you think ???
Replica speed camera. All the traffic calming benefits of a real speed camera with none of the expense. Just wish I could remember the program I saw it on.
Old 03 April 2016, 01:13 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I live 2 miles from the Pod so we see plenty of Sunday racers through our village.
The locals here and in the surrounding villages have tried everything to calm those who can't respect a 30mph limit including direct police speed monitoring, traffic calming measures such as carriageway narrowing, local speed 'vigilantes', flashy light speed indicators, liaising with Santa Pod directly to exclude speeders (yeah like that's going to work), traffic diversion signs, all sorts.
Does it work? Intermittently at best I would say. There are still plenty of test pilots eager to have that one last stab on the gas and let us know they have arrived before they actually do it for real.

It's fair to say I have seen most of the normal traffic calming measures employed here in my 30+ years of residency and they each work for a while, but any permanent alteration to the roads to curb speeding has the long term effect of inconveniencing local traffic when the track isn't open and you have to ask if that is reasonable. The only thing that works without causing unnecessary inconvenience to locals on a daily basis, in my opinion, is direct police monitoring where offenders receive a penalty. However getting that monitoring in place is very difficult.
Old 03 April 2016, 01:21 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of villages local to me 'installed' dummy police officers, complete with hi viz jackets and speed cameras, in several gardens. Worked a treat for non locals, and they are usually the main offenders.
Old 03 April 2016, 02:41 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

We campaigned to have the speed lowered in our village,as the amount of dry stone walls getting punted through was quite ridiculous....

And we won....We are the first village in Derbyshire to have the limit dropped to 20 mph.

Hasnt made a jot of difference..... Bellends everywhere.
Old 03 April 2016, 02:47 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
...dummy police officers, complete with hi viz jackets and speed cameras, in several gardens...
Scarepigs.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03 April 2016, 08:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

By far the best way to ensure is speed limit adherence, short distance SPECS(average speed cameras)
Old 03 April 2016, 10:54 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem in my town ,where I'm finance boss of the town council (pop 4500)
We set up a volunteer speed camerea group with a police speed camera and a 2k grant
The first month we caught a whopping 540 people a d they got a nasty letter from the police

We had only a couple of reoffenders
A great success
We got lots of media coverage of our success
We then averaged 25/30 per hour shift and then dropping down to maybe 8 per shift

We even lent our camera to other small villages after our success
The police van then came every 2weeks and has 2/3 location and normally gets 20-30 before going home after paying its wages

We have speed watch campagne signage on our lamposts and also one of the light up smile face signs of your doing over 30 to remind people to keep it down
Old 03 April 2016, 10:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Scarepigs.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I don't know why P term is used to denote police. Is there any logic behind it? I mean, origin, history etc.? I'm just curious.
Old 04 April 2016, 07:39 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
By far the best way to ensure is speed limit adherence, short distance SPECS(average speed cameras)
I Chair our Parish Council and have a similar issue to Blue By You of the Santa Pod traffic going though our village.

We had speed strips down to monitor traffic volume and speed to build our case for SPECS.

We have a 30mph limit past a school, highest speed recorded was 82.3 mph

Still the borough council will not support us to put cameras in, and for us to pay for them is £50k a pair, we need two sets.

As a small parish council we just don't have that money.
Old 04 April 2016, 08:13 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow
We have a 30mph limit past a school, highest speed recorded was 82.3 mph
I'm no saint (so I'm told anyway) but that is lunacy.
Old 04 April 2016, 08:28 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Simply put up false cameras made from wood - but painted to look like the real thing!
They normally work (for a while).
Cheers
Steve
Old 04 April 2016, 12:54 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

We have a speeding issue in our village, that and some silly people who park on both sides of the narrow road meaning the mini decker bus cannot get past,let alone a fire tender!.

COmplaints made to local council by many people, they don't seem to do anything about it - not until someone gets killed anyway.
Old 04 April 2016, 01:18 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

As much as I hate them, speed bumps will slow them down.
Old 04 April 2016, 07:56 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

You could try just painting the speed camera lines on the road and have a yellow box on a pole near them.

£50K for two cameras is a lot, but I'll bet you'd be in profit in a fairly short time from the fines.

We've had the volunteer Community Speed Watch out on several occasions recently. The woman who is its driving force (no pun intended) has a fat son who speeds everywhere in his fake Focus 'ST', even up our congested side streets, and I've followed her car through the village whilst doing 30mph and watched her disappear into the distance....
Old 04 April 2016, 08:17 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
£50K for two cameras is a lot, but I'll bet you'd be in profit in a fairly short time from the fines.
None of the fine money would come back to the council.

Only way we can raise the money is by putting up the Council Tax, which would not be popular at all.

We looked a speed bumps to but they a a stupid price to, £5k up wards depending on size

An then they have to be lit by street lights a night.

I alway though the councils did bugger all so I got myself elected to change that... Ha Ha the amount of red tape and lack of borough support is comical..
Old 04 April 2016, 09:12 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
We campaigned to have the speed lowered in our village,as the amount of dry stone walls getting punted through was quite ridiculous....

And we won....We are the first village in Derbyshire to have the limit dropped to 20 mph.

Hasnt made a jot of difference..... Bellends everywhere.
So you had a 30 limit that was probably appropriate, yet was regularly ignored and several vehicles smashed down dry stone walls, where speed may or may not have been a contributary factor (some were probably pis@ed up).

And the solution is a 20 limit that you say hasn't made any difference.

Who exactly was it that thought it would? I expect a 20 limit just pis@es everybody off as it is probably totally inappropriate and unnecessary.

Getting people to obey the 30 is what you need. How, I don't know. But it was never going to be a 20 limit.
Old 04 April 2016, 10:05 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spoke about speed related automatic speed bumps before, the vehicle speed is monitored and displayed, if the speed is above 30mph (20mph is silly slow) the speed bump stays up and the vehicle goes over it at above 30mph and gives a decent thud. If the vehicle is doing less than 30mph, the speed bump lowers and the vehicle passes over a flatter surface

I would like to try the above with a stinger instead of a speed bump
Old 05 April 2016, 01:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97

Agreed. Probably the best device at catching the "40mph everywhere brigade" (you know, the ones that drive at 40mph in a 60 limit, 40mph in a 50 limit, 40mph in 30 limit etc.)

Biggest issue is the cost of getting them up and running + maintained.

And don't be suprised if a good portion of the people caught are actually locals living in the same village.
Old 05 April 2016, 01:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I reckon the 20 mph limit makes drivers stick to 30
Old 05 April 2016, 08:27 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

^^This. Bristol has 20mph limits everywhere now, and whereas before people were doing 40mph they're now doing under 30MPH. Job done. And journey times are just the same.
Old 05 April 2016, 09:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

U
Originally Posted by ALi-B
And don't be suprised if a good portion of the people caught are actually locals living in the same village.
Yes, I have heard this is true too
Old 06 April 2016, 01:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
U

Yes, I have heard this is true too
Its a funny/strange phenomonen. And I think it stems around people only noticing certain cars/drivers that attract their attention.

I heard on the radio about a bloke whose daugter was killed by a wreckless driver that was racing a Mitsi Evo. He wants cars like the Evo, Sti, M5 Focus RS banned. I say the Focus RS, as in his interview, which was quite candid - he didn't seem stupid in his knowledge of cars, he stated that he has yet to see a Focus RS being driven about sensibly.

Why vilify the Focus RS and its drivers?....I wish I could put it to him, that the RS has a five cylinder engine and are often fitted with a aftermarket exhaust. This makes them immediately recognisable just by noise alone, much like an Impreza with unequal headers or a VW VR6. You could run it through 1st and 2nd and back off at 30mph but in doing so attract attention due to the noise and flashy spoilers/colours.

Meanwhile someone in a Picasso pottering in 4th/5th could cruise past at 40mph in relative silence. The Focus gets the attention, but the Picasso is ignored even though its speeding.

Its this reason why I kind of like average speed cameras...they are indescriminate on who it targets...except forward facing ones which don't work with bikes...doh!
Old 06 April 2016, 01:34 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats parking like in the village? If the road is not restricted, then get the local farmer(s) to park a few trailers in such a way as to restrict flow (& therefore speed) through. Might work for the Pod issues too as can be removed afterwards.
Old 06 April 2016, 01:39 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Replica speed camera. All the traffic calming benefits of a real speed camera with none of the expense. Just wish I could remember the program I saw it on.
They had one on Pheonix nights to slow people down passing the club
Old 06 April 2016, 02:23 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Whats parking like in the village? If the road is not restricted, then get the local farmer(s) to park a few trailers in such a way as to restrict flow (& therefore speed) through. Might work for the Pod issues too as can be removed afterwards.
Add a few piles of strategically placed manure in the road as well as the trailers - problem solved!
Old 06 April 2016, 06:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Worth a try;

Old 06 April 2016, 06:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

That's great

whats the fine for impersonating a speed camera ?

Quick Reply: Idea,s to slow village traffic.