Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

To all the CV writing Gods out there...!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2016, 09:12 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all the CV writing Gods out there...!!

Once again I delve into the combined uber-knowledge of SN for life guidance!

I recently took advantage of one of those free CV review services; nothing to lose I thought as I'm in the job market at the moment.

I got some quite detailed feedback; not all positive but all constructive, but obviously it's all done with a view to selling the full rewrite package which I am actually considering.

Before I do however, I thought I'd try and put a few of the feedback points into action but I'm struggling to include a lot of them without coming across cheesy or like I'm bullsh*tting!!

Has anyone used one of these services and what were the results?

Cheers all.
Old 12 May 2016, 03:25 PM
bangshift
Scooby Regular

Pretty much every CV I have written I have kept it as simple as possible and to the point. If it sounds like bull****, at least make it good bull****!
Old 12 May 2016, 04:11 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

My CV tells the truth, there is no point in trying to BS your way into a role, if you can demonstrate the correct traits beit in the role you are applying for or in other roles you have completed before the interviewer should pick up on those and also spot the potential from your CV.

If you do come over as BSing you will possibly get challenged on things which may make you uncomfortable.

Last edited by PaulC72; 12 May 2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12 May 2016, 04:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

3 pages at most - preferably nearer 2

the whole game is to give them enough to want to see you, but not too much that your are an "open" book when it comes to the interview

all - in my view, I could be very wrong but that's what I have learnt and been told through the years
Old 12 May 2016, 05:02 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

You don't have to BS but you do need to sell yourself so blow your own trumpet where relevant. But it also needs to be concise and have impact.

Prospective employers may have to sift through hundreds of CV's so you need to stand out from the crowd.

I used a professional CV writing service years ago and really all they did was change my original into a more appealing format and dressed it up with better use of the English language. At the time I thought 'what a rip off' however, looking back it was money well spent as I still use the formatting style now and recently used it as template to help my step daughter write hers.
Old 13 May 2016, 07:03 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
3 pages at most - preferably nearer 2

the whole game is to give them enough to want to see you, but not too much that your are an "open" book when it comes to the interview

all - in my view, I could be very wrong but that's what I have learnt and been told through the years

2 pages, listing most recent and relevant experience. I recruit, both contractors and perm and I don't care if you worked in ASDA 20 years ago, want to know what you're currently doing, be that working, a course or whatever and what other jobs relate to the role I'm offering. I want a paragraph highlighting who you are and what you've done/ where you want to be and your contact details. Qualifications can be very simple bullet points and I'll check them out if I want you for the role.

I have many, many CVs to work through, no time and very little interest in spelling mistakes or fancy text.

Old 13 May 2016, 12:51 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Wink

If a prospective employer has 30 CVs to look at he will be most influenced by your introductory paragraph. So make this honest and friendly "I have spent the last six years travelling to the Middle East and the USA promoting agricultural equipment. I want to expand my horizons and feel I have a lot to offer a company looking to strengthen their potential overseas business.I am happy acting as a team leader or as part of the team itself." This a good style to use.

Then the usual bullet points and your outside interests and hobbies. A chap into blues music and rock climbing will be more interesting than someone who likes computer games and dog walking.

IMHO your covering letter is the key. Research the company and understand their philosophy and empathise what you can offer. 3 or 4 paras max.

If you get an interview look smart, smile and have a few questions up your sleeve. Good luck. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 13 May 2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 13 May 2016, 05:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock

If you get an interview look smart, smile and have a few questions up your sleeve. Good luck. dl
but make sure you ask them with interest, even taking notes, nothing worse than people asking questions because someone told them to.
Old 13 May 2016, 08:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
but make sure you ask them with interest, even taking notes, nothing worse than people asking questions because someone told them to.

Agreed. And having a jotter and taking some notes is a good plan. Any questions should be specific about the company based on the research you have done e.g. where are you hoping to expand your markets? do you see using more social media advantageous? And not how much holiday will I get? dl
Old 15 May 2016, 12:53 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys; I mean if I try to use the feedback points to rewrite it myself it sounds like bullsh*t.

My CV is definitely not BS; I haven't got enough private sector experience TO bullsh*t about it!!

I'm all for giving it a refresh, but what I was asking is has anyone used one of these rewriting services and what was the result?

Thanks for the input so far.