Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you have said anything?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2016, 12:11 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy Would you have said anything?

I was standing there waiting to pay for something in my local Tescos behind a young girl with a baby and when I say young she must have been 15 or 16 and the baby about 1. At first I thought I misheard her but no sadly I didn't, she was standing there teaching this 1 year old to say the word w4nker and it was repeating it whilst she laughed and encouraged it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing. I assume it was the teenagers Mother who turned round and said stop it to her but she just laughed it off saying oh he's been saying it all day it's hilarious

For a second I was tempted to say something sarcastic like what a great start in life he is having but thought better of it. The shop staff were staring in disbelief and I thought is it really worth the torrent of abuse that will kick off if I say something out loud so everyone else hears me. All that will happen is an argument will ensue with very colourful language and the police will be called and I don't need the hassle on a Sunday afternoon when I can be sitting in my garden supping ice cold beer and relaxing.

I just looked at the baby and thought you poor little devil that's what your life is going to be decided by that waste of space of a Mother

With an upbringing ahead of it like that the baby would be better off being adopted
Old 10 May 2016, 12:30 AM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh saying something to them is a waste of time. That child is gonna get that for the next 15 years of its life before it probably runs away from home. Lol. One incident wont change anything.
Old 10 May 2016, 12:53 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jezza needs a new generation of scum to parade around on his hideous show.
I guess you found them.
Old 10 May 2016, 06:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Shop in waitrose ?
Old 10 May 2016, 07:17 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You see a lot of parents laughing when a child swears, personally I don't like it and won't put up with it from my children or any child I'm looking after, I don't care what their parents think either. If they want me in their child's life I'm going to bring with me some ground rules, which include common curtsey, no swearing, no tantrums and eating real food.

Boils my **** when people give their children sweets because they wont eat their dinner.
Old 10 May 2016, 07:51 AM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
You see a lot of parents laughing when a child swears, personally I don't like it and won't put up with it from my children or any child I'm looking after, I don't care what their parents think either. If they want me in their child's life I'm going to bring with me some ground rules, which include common curtsey, no swearing, no tantrums and eating real food.

Boils my **** when people give their children sweets because they wont eat their dinner.
+1 couldn't word it better
Old 10 May 2016, 08:03 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a really funny thing about swearing as I completely hate hearing people swear. I rarely swear myself and never ever use the f word. I hate it when people use the f word and swear in regular sentences. Just what's the point?
Old 10 May 2016, 08:27 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I have a really funny thing about swearing as I completely hate hearing people swear. I rarely swear myself and never ever use the f word. I hate it when people use the f word and swear in regular sentences. Just what's the point?
Sorry im not trolling, but I have been renting lock ups from farmers for a long time and you must be the first farmer that does not swear.... (sorry for an assumption but your location states you are on a farm and got a picture of a tractor)

When a farmer had problems with his tractor not hooking up to his trailer or something.... I heard words that I never knew existed.....
Old 10 May 2016, 08:58 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I get the feeling this ones been finishing skool
Old 10 May 2016, 10:54 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Yes I am a farmer, you're correct . But I must be a rarity then as I rarely swear. I was brought up not to swear and still don't. If I hear my mates swear I'm always telling them off, much to their annoyance .
Old 10 May 2016, 11:00 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Filski
Sorry im not trolling, but I have been renting lock ups from farmers for a long time and you must be the first farmer that does not swear.... (sorry for an assumption but your location states you are on a farm and got a picture of a tractor)

When a farmer had problems with his tractor not hooking up to his trailer or something.... I heard words that I never knew existed.....
LOL. Some of my best friends are farmers and I've learned a whole selection of swear words and terms from them I never knew before!

To the OP though, tough one. I'm not sure I could have stopped myself saying something. Poor kid.
Old 10 May 2016, 12:00 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Just out of idle curiosity, where do you stand on the use of '****ed' as a technical term?
Old 10 May 2016, 12:03 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Our nipper tells us off pretty sternly if we let a swear word slip. He's pretty advanced for his age though, I've not seen many 3 year olds rocking Elder Scrolls online on their 4K tv.

He asks if he can stay home when we need to go out so he can play on the PS4. Bizarre. He gets it from his mum as she's pretty hands on. She was cooking Sunday dinner for her family at 8yo and bought an EVO IV at 18!
Old 10 May 2016, 12:04 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Just out of idle curiosity, where do you stand on the use of '****ed' as a technical term?
Isn't it better just to say "it's broken?" or "it's gone?". I'd never say what you've just described- there's just no point or any need.
Old 10 May 2016, 12:08 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't it better just to say "it's broken?" or "it's gone?". I'd never say what you've just described- there's just no point or any need.
My uncle is a farmer and like you he doesn't swear at all, he is however the most angry man in the world and really struggles to show it lol
Old 10 May 2016, 12:12 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Sometimes broken/nackered/gone/dead etc simply don't seem to cover it, or indeed fit the discussion in question.

Also as Gazney implied, sometimes swearing can be therapeutic.
Old 10 May 2016, 12:23 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Our nipper tells us off pretty sternly if we let a swear word slip. He's pretty advanced for his age though, I've not seen many 3 year olds rocking Elder Scrolls online on their 4K tv.

He asks if he can stay home when we need to go out so he can play on the PS4. Bizarre. He gets it from his mum as she's pretty hands on. She was cooking Sunday dinner for her family at 8yo and bought an EVO IV at 18!
My 3 year old still doesn't watch TV or play computer games. He's always more interested in other things and playing with us and/or his toys. Long may that continue I say, which I know it won't forever! He knows Daddy has a playstation but as I don't use it he doesn't know what it does!

He picks up the odd naughty word when he hears them when we are out. Easy to be careful at home, but just can't shelter them from everything in the outside world.
Old 10 May 2016, 03:22 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

my five year old used the word "frigging" the other day, it was funny she used it correctly, I did not even smile, in fact I scalded her and explained it was a horrible word for a young lady to use and I didn't want to hear it again ..

She said "where's that frigging dog gone", when the dog ran off .. and she used anger in her comment.
Old 10 May 2016, 03:24 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

As for swearing as an adult, it's swings and roundabouts. I swear, I swear more because I was brought up not to swear, but I control it around my kids and in work (for the most part). If someone told me to stop swearing in my group of friends, I wouldn't be spending any time with them, it's just who I am.
Old 10 May 2016, 03:40 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Gets my vote
Old 10 May 2016, 03:43 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
My 3 year old still doesn't watch TV or play computer games. He's always more interested in other things and playing with us and/or his toys. Long may that continue I say, which I know it won't forever! He knows Daddy has a playstation but as I don't use it he doesn't know what it does!
He's a lucky kid to have parent(s) that care enough to make an effort for him.
I would dare to suggest that both he and you will benefit from this in years to come.
Old 10 May 2016, 04:26 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
He's a lucky kid to have parent(s) that care enough to make an effort for him.
I would dare to suggest that both he and you will benefit from this in years to come.
Cheers mate, It's not that difficult and I'm no hero I just love playing with my kids. They won't be young forever and won't want to play with me forever so making the most of it now.

The down side is that all of our friends with kids of similar ages keep talking about all these kids TV programs of which I have absolutely no idea.
Old 10 May 2016, 05:02 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Cheers mate, It's not that difficult and I'm no hero I just love playing with my kids. They won't be young forever and won't want to play with me forever so making the most of it now.
Yes I know it seems that obvious and you would naturally think that's the way everyone does it. Unfortunately the wider truth is somewhat less appealing.
My wife and I owned and ran a large children's day nursery for 8 years. In that short time we met parents from a wide selection of the social spectrum. How they valued their offspring wasn't a function of their economic or social standing, and their relationships and involvement with their children varied greatly.
To the majority they thought their children were their greatest acheivement.
To some their children were almost just social accessories. They could be dressed up as dolls and you could tell they were used to interacting with a TV rather than a parent.
And there were a very small minority who sadly valued them less than that.
Old 10 May 2016, 09:01 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I agree that swearing in children is a most undesirable trait, but some of the best laughs I've had in my life have been related to it.

The subject of the 'F' word came up in the letters pages of the Telegraph back in the 1990s. One letter has always stuck in my mind.

It was written by a retired army officer who had been a tank commander in Germany during the 1950s and recalled the dark, wet night his tank had ground to a halt in the middle of nowhere.

He said the driver disappeared into the engine compartment while the rest of the crew brewed up, and he maintained what he hoped was a helpful silence.

After about half an hour, the driver emerged, streaked with oil and straightening his beret. 'Well?', said the writer. ''F*ing F*er's F*d it's F*ing self, hasn't it, Sir" was the reply.

He ended by saying this almost poetical diagnosis was confirmed in slightly more technical terms by REME when they were rescued several hours later.

It was signed 'Judge Finney'.

I also recall an argument about a job between a leading chargehand and the workshop foreman where I did my apprenticeship. I won't use the original names, but the gist of it was the foreman telling the leading chargehand to 'Get a bloody grip, Ray', to which he received the classic reply "Don't you F*ing swear at me, John H...."

Both of them were incapacitated by laughter for quite a few minutes after that.
Old 10 May 2016, 09:55 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It's one thing for a kid to swear unexpectedly with slightly comic timing, but for their parent to literally stand there encouraging them to do it is nothing short of tragic.
Old 10 May 2016, 09:58 PM
Rooneypies
Scooby Regular

I would have karate kicked them both in the face. Game over. I win.

Originally Posted by markjmd
It's one thing for a kid to swear unexpectedly with slightly comic timing, but for their parent to literally stand there encouraging them to do it is nothing short of tragic.
Old 10 May 2016, 10:04 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
Bad enough if it was a toddler but for a 1 year old it's probably it's first words and being done as purely entertainment for the Mother. It really got under my skin. I swear a lot but NEVER around my own children or anyone elses and do what I can to hide mine from it although i'm fully aware they hear it every day in the playground.
Old 10 May 2016, 10:54 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well said

Some kids are just dragged up or brought into the world because their mum is a slapper/wants extra tax credits/wants a brown kid like other mums (Harry Enfield/ Wayne and Waynetta sketch)

I was working on a house doing 'decent homes' upgrades. One tennant was a single mum (like most on the estate) and about 19 years old. The child was about 2 years old and he was lovely and just wanted someone to love him. His mum was sat playing on the xbox every day. One day she was on it and he ended up crawling between her feet and standing up infront of her (between her face and xbox controller). She told him to 'f**k off, get out of my f**king way!). He was heartbroken

I wish I could have picked him up and brought him home with me and give him a loving home

If kids are brought up like that, what hope have they got later in life???
Old 10 May 2016, 11:12 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
well said

Some kids are just dragged up or brought into the world because their mum is a slapper/wants extra tax credits/wants a brown kid like other mums (Harry Enfield/ Wayne and Waynetta sketch)

I was working on a house doing 'decent homes' upgrades. One tennant was a single mum (like most on the estate) and about 19 years old. The child was about 2 years old and he was lovely and just wanted someone to love him. His mum was sat playing on the xbox every day. One day she was on it and he ended up crawling between her feet and standing up infront of her (between her face and xbox controller). She told him to 'f**k off, get out of my f**king way!). He was heartbroken

I wish I could have picked him up and brought him home with me and give him a loving home

If kids are brought up like that, what hope have they got later in life???
You should have poured water in the console when she wasn't looking, the ******* w ****
Old 11 May 2016, 01:56 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

But of course the people really responsible are the young mother's parents or the home that brought her up. Just more confirmation of the breakdown in some parts of society.

And yes I would have said something. Knowing it would do no good but that poor little kid needs someone on their side.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 11 May 2016 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Would you have said anything?