Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do car doors.........

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2016, 12:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Why do car doors.........

open on springs, so that they try to shut when you open them? Or they need a push to get past the spring and end up hitting a wall, or another car?

What's the idea?
Old 03 May 2016, 01:47 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is to stop doors 'falling' open as soon as the internal release is pulled. My 944 does this and in my opinion is a pain in the ****. The most resistant doors in my opinion are those on VAG cars. I wonder also if it is done to make the door appear heavier and more robust than it actually is?
Old 04 May 2016, 11:19 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helps prevent gravity (if parked on a hill etc) and wind from pulling them open once the catch has been released.
Old 05 May 2016, 09:09 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I think it is to stop doors 'falling' open as soon as the internal release is pulled. My 944 does this and in my opinion is a pain in the ****. The most resistant doors in my opinion are those on VAG cars. I wonder also if it is done to make the door appear heavier and more robust than it actually is?
You're right about the VAG doors there. My tank's door can sustain any degree above 30 degree and stay there without shutting by itself. I think the door must be heavy tbh, not necessarily the hinge trick to make the door 'feel' heavy. It takes some effort for me to pull it in, in order to shut it.

Other thing is that some unknown entity bashed my parked car when I drove my kid to some gig venue. The repair guy told me that the impact was harsh, but the door is still intact because it's a robust VAG. Of course there's a dent and the scratches to ruin the look, but if it was some other car, the back passenger door (where it was hit ruthlessly) would have been totally totalled, he said. So, I think it's robust enough.
Old 06 May 2016, 08:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

girlfriend and her daughter have somehow had their finger tips squashed by this method recently ( not together - theyre on different continents)