Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Next president and how will they do?
Donald, and its going be great!
31.82%
Donald, but oh dear
36.36%
Hillary, and she's gonna nail it
11.36%
Hillary, and OMG we told you so
6.82%
Couldn't care less, they're all the same
13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Trump for President?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2016, 12:22 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trump for President?

So it looks like Trump is going to be the official Republican candidate. The Left is having some problems though as Bernie pulls some votes back. Still a long way to go, but can Donald become President?
Old 04 May 2016, 12:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

was about to post that, beaten to it damit hahaha

is it bad to fart in the whitehouse? lol

looks like its gonna be clinton vs trump, not exactly a great choice. You'd like to think that trump being a pretty successful businessman might well make a decent job of it. Was also reading that behind closed doors he isn't as brash as he seems in some of his speaches. Time will tell i suppose.
Old 04 May 2016, 12:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've no idea, but god help me as my US visa application went in last week so you can guarantee it's going to all go pear shaped!
Old 04 May 2016, 12:32 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Can Trump do more damage then any of the two Bush`s did ?
Old 04 May 2016, 12:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I've no idea, but god help me as my US visa application went in last week so you can guarantee it's going to all go pear shaped!
nah be fine, wont affect anything for 12 months or so at least
Old 04 May 2016, 03:24 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

America is crazy.Mind you,on the other hand,we just choose insipid politicians.

Something naughty about Hilary though... i suppose that should not affect my thoughts...lol
Old 04 May 2016, 06:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it would certainly be interesting

(and I sneakily would like him to win)

especially if we vote out and have to negotiate a trade deal with him
Old 04 May 2016, 06:59 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I think I want him to win. As said, he can't be any worse than the others.
Old 04 May 2016, 07:17 PM
GWJ
Scooby Regular

As per normal with elections, you vote for who you think is the least worse. There isn't any 'best'
Old 04 May 2016, 08:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

in reality the country will be run by the senate whatever happens
Old 04 May 2016, 11:08 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not gonna be pretty either way. I didn't do the poll as there isn't an option for "we're totally screwed either way"

Old 04 May 2016, 11:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Trump is a complete fecking selfish and ignorant ****,hole. He would be a disaster for USA and might well start WW3 and WW4.

He could care less about Europe or UK so even more reason to stay in EU who might at least help GB if/when the s,hit hits the proverbial.

Hilary seems OK and has done the time so give her a crack at it.

dl
Old 05 May 2016, 08:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Neither of the bushes endorse him.

Last edited by dpb; 05 May 2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05 May 2016, 08:35 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

they do say people get the leaders/government they deserve!!

sort of political karma
Old 05 May 2016, 09:18 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Trump is a complete fecking selfish and ignorant ****,hole.
You're in good company then
Old 05 May 2016, 09:22 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If Trump wins, all it needs is for Boris to throw his hat in the ring for our next election and quite frankly, we'd all be doomed.
Old 05 May 2016, 02:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
You're in good company then

Please explain what you mean by that.

dl
Old 05 May 2016, 05:15 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Please explain what you mean by that.
dl
As you consider Trump to be an ignorant arsehole, so I consider you to be an ignorant arsehole. Because you haven't read or understood beyond the headlines of the BBC.

Trump at this current stage of his life is an accomplished businessman and will almost certainly run a technocratic government, surrounding himself with very skilled business people just as he does in his business empire. He will likely tone things down once he gets the Republican nomination but if elected I think he will have a very useful negotiating tactic, portraying extreme hardline views whilst in the background business like negotiations are going on to achieve his real aims. I really wouldn't base an opinion on the sillyness you read in the media or on the salespitch that he has going on to get elected (which you seem to have confused with immaturity and ego).

Trump's comments are pretty clever and deliberately designed to appeal to voters. The basic Trump message is

- I'm like you would be if you had tons of cash
- I'm definitely not like those other guys who are the establishment and who aren't like us
- Those other guys are stupid and don't know what they are doing, I'm a businessman and very clever
- I don't care what I say because I'm a straight talker so you can trust me as I won't lie to you
- I'm going to make America great again by putting the interests of America above all other interests (just like China does)
- I'm going to tackle the big problems America is facing by building a wall (simplistic easy to grasp solution to the huge problem of Mexican drug cartels and people smugglers), nuking ISIS (simplistic easy to grasp solution to ISIS), stopping Muslims coming into the US (simplistic easy to grasp solution to terrorism) and pulling out of NAFTA/Taking on China (simplistic easy to grasp solution to US manufacturing jobs being taken abroad).

To a regular middle or lower income American I would say Trump comes across as a bold but brash, highly confident businessman who isn't afraid to say what he thinks (much of which is what they also think to some extent) and who will likely 'get the job done'. He comes across as Strong in a period where America is slowly adjusting to a new world order. He comes across as different, anti establishment when there is a global backlash against career politicians.

Much of what he is doing and how he is acting is just branding - he is Trump, Trump is a brand. He has all the headlines, all the momentum as a result of his brand.

Scott Adams gets it http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1395419...d-reading-list

Hope that helps!
Old 05 May 2016, 06:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

As you consider Trump to be an ignorant arsehole, so I consider you to be an ignorant arsehole. Because you haven't read or understood beyond the headlines of the BBC.

Trump at this current stage of his life is an accomplished businessman and will almost certainly run a technocratic government, surrounding himself with very skilled business people just as he does in his business empire. He will likely tone things down once he gets the Republican nomination but if elected I think he will have a very useful negotiating tactic, portraying extreme hardline views whilst in the background business like negotiations are going on to achieve his real aims. I really wouldn't base an opinion on the sillyness you read in the media or on the salespitch that he has going on to get elected (which you seem to have confused with immaturity and ego).

Trump's comments are pretty clever and deliberately designed to appeal to voters. The basic Trump message is

- I'm like you would be if you had tons of cash
- I'm definitely not like those other guys who are the establishment and who aren't like us
- Those other guys are stupid and don't know what they are doing, I'm a businessman and very clever
- I don't care what I say because I'm a straight talker so you can trust me as I won't lie to you
- I'm going to make America great again by putting the interests of America above all other interests (just like China does)
- I'm going to tackle the big problems America is facing by building a wall (simplistic easy to grasp solution to the huge problem of Mexican drug cartels and people smugglers), nuking ISIS (simplistic easy to grasp solution to ISIS), stopping Muslims coming into the US (simplistic easy to grasp solution to terrorism) and pulling out of NAFTA/Taking on China (simplistic easy to grasp solution to US manufacturing jobs being taken abroad).

To a regular middle or lower income American I would say Trump comes across as a bold but brash, highly confident businessman who isn't afraid to say what he thinks (much of which is what they also think to some extent) and who will likely 'get the job done'. He comes across as Strong in a period where America is slowly adjusting to a new world order. He comes across as different, anti establishment when there is a global backlash against career politicians.

Much of what he is doing and how he is acting is just branding - he is Trump, Trump is a brand. He has all the headlines, all the momentum as a result of his brand.

Scott Adams gets it http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1395419...d-reading-list

Hope that helps!
Warren, even by your standards, this is a completely new level of stupid.
Old 05 May 2016, 07:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Warren, even by your standards, this is a completely new level of stupid.

Martin, I expect the stress of doing his SATS tests is showing. Or perhaps just a mind uncluttered by knowledge. It's so pathetic having to resort to insulting a fellow SN member.

Perhaps he has been too busy being silly to listen to the comments about Trump's credentials made by so many long standing and senior Republicans who will either abstain or even vote Clinton. One described him as being fourth in a two horse race which I rather liked

I supported the Democrats when I lived in the US but respected the Republican view. Trump has just about wrecked his own party but at least he hasn't a snowball's chance of making it to the White House. He'll have plenty of time to come to Scotland and bully old ladies who dare to live where he wants to build his golf courses.

dl
Old 05 May 2016, 07:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

warrens post simply assumes the USA (or any country for that matter) is a company, can be run like a company and that Trump can run it like a company

Tump has had successes, but big failures too
Old 05 May 2016, 07:39 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It's really quite an eye-opener that Scott Adams is backing Trump as a likely and deserving winner. The guy's far from unperceptive, and if I actually lived in the US and had a vote there this is something that might sway me (as with the late Patrick Moore's support for leaving the EU in the referendum here).

Last edited by markjmd; 05 May 2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05 May 2016, 07:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
warrens post simply assumes the USA (or any country for that matter) is a company, can be run like a company and that Trump can run it like a company

Tump has had successes, but big failures too

It also presupposes that the Trump we have running for the Republican nomination is different to the Trump prior to running for elected office. He isn't he's the same demagogue. The idea that he'll somehow transform into some sort of colligate president, running a technocratic government is utterly laughable.

As Scott Adams said in one of his blogs, Trump needs to start ACTING a little less risky, to have a chance in the election - 'acting', his words not mine.
Old 05 May 2016, 08:24 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

It's so pathetic having to resort to insulting a fellow SN member.
But completely fine for you to use the same words to attack the Republican candidate, who has fairly won his place at the top of the list. And considering how pathetic it is and how much a man of principle you are, you "resort to insulting a fellow SN member" with...

I expect the stress of doing his SATS tests is showing..... Or perhaps just a mind uncluttered by knowledge.....Perhaps he has been too busy being silly to listen to the comments about Trump's credentials
You're a hypocrite. Get of your bloody high horse as well

I supported the Democrats when I lived in the US
And they deserve you, you'll fit in fine

Trump has just about wrecked his own party but at least he hasn't a snowball's chance of making it to the White House. He'll have plenty of time to come to Scotland and bully old ladies who dare to live where he wants to build his golf courses.
Trump is a response to the Republican party wrecking itself, very much like the Tories not actually being Conservative here. And as for his chances, it remains to be seen, it's pretty close at the moment. If he does, I will laugh heartily as you eat humble pie. I'm not going to call it.

The real point is I back up my claims with some evidence, argument or analysis (15 odd lines in my last post). You just call people names. Which reminds me...

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

Last edited by warrenm2; 05 May 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05 May 2016, 08:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
It's really quite an eye-opener that Scott Adams is backing Trump as a likely and deserving winner.
In his first post in that list I linked, he says:-

"But if Hillary does not coast into the White House as I expect (and this is a prediction, not a preference) you will see a Donald Trump presidency."

The point is that Adams is saying that the media and commentators have got Trump all wrong. He also mentions it here http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1437899...suasion-scores

Originally Posted by markjmd
..as with the late Patrick Moore's support for leaving the EU in the referendum here...
Indeed, VOTE LEAVE!

Last edited by warrenm2; 05 May 2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05 May 2016, 09:28 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

He has a decent chance, his biggest problems being the female and non-white voters rather than Hillary (who has an albatross call Bill hanging around her neck).

And in power all the brashness would invariably be toned down anyway.
Am I worried? Not particularly, it would make a change from more of the same. And his foreign policy might amuse me a bit.
Old 05 May 2016, 09:36 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Virtually nothing Trump has proposed doing were he President has any prospect of realisation, but what his proposals have achieved is the incitement of certain sections of the electorate to see him as a saviour of America. But instead of attempting to heal the rift between the people and government, he has simply exploited it for his own ends while widening the rift in the process.

He has no experience of working in the public arena, and history indicates that successful businessmen make poor Presidents. There is nothing about Trump to suggest he would be any different.
Old 05 May 2016, 10:08 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
He has a decent chance, his biggest problems being the female and non-white voters rather than Hillary (who has an albatross call Bill hanging around her neck).

And in power all the brashness would invariably be toned down anyway.
Am I worried? Not particularly, it would make a change from more of the same. And his foreign policy might amuse me a bit.

I really don't understand the comments you made about Bill Clinton...

He's far far more popular than Hilary, in fact he's one of the most popular US political figures of the 20th century. Both candidates would kill for his 'favourability numbers'
Old 05 May 2016, 10:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

But completely fine for you to use the same words to attack the Republican candidate, who has fairly won his place at the top of the list. And considering how pathetic it is and how much a man of principle you are, you "resort to insulting a fellow SN member" with...

You're a hypocrite. Get of your bloody high horse as well

And they deserve you, you'll fit in fine

Trump is a response to the Republican party wrecking itself, very much like the Tories not actually being Conservative here. And as for his chances, it remains to be seen, it's pretty close at the moment. If he does, I will laugh heartily as you eat humble pie. I'm not going to call it.

The real point is I back up my claims with some evidence, argument or analysis (15 odd lines in my last post). You just call people names. Which reminds me...

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

Yes Warren, your analysis of the political landscape is always so good... just like when you told everyone before the last election that there would NEVER be an EU referendum, and that it was all a con, in fact you were incredibly insulting to anyone who claimed otherwise.

And let's not forget the 50-100 seats UKIP were going to win at the last General Election

So here's YOUR CHANCE to have a couple of slices of humble pie.. enjoy

Please keep them coming though because I actually enjoy reading your ideological clap-trap, I see it as a form of light entertainment, sort of a break from the real world.

Last edited by Martin2005; 05 May 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05 May 2016, 10:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I really don't understand the comments you made about Bill Clinton...

He's far far more popular than Hilary, in fact he's one of the most popular US political figures of the 20th century. Both candidates would kill for his 'favourability numbers'
Which I think is worrying some democrats strategist

Hillary is quite a divisive figure, and as you rightly point out nowhere near as accomplished as Bill

So defiantly interesting times

And yes the rabid right wing analysis of Trumpton is hilarious

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 07 May 2016 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Trump for President?