Notices

Hi newbie here need some advice/help with rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2016, 10:15 AM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi newbie here need some advice/help with rear springs

Basically I have an 02 bugeye it's only a gx model. Will the rear springs from an 03 blobeye wrx fit my car? I figured as it's an early blobeye they might fit. Thanks
Old 30 April 2016, 04:50 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lhmotorcycles
Basically I have an 02 bugeye it's only a gx model. Will the rear springs from an 03 blobeye wrx fit my car? I figured as it's an early blobeye they might fit. Thanks
Hi fella. The rear top hats on a blob are a different size to a bug so won't fit I believe.
Phil
Old 30 April 2016, 06:03 PM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Hi Phil I have read about this issue aswell but for some reason other people on other sites seem to think they will fit straight in....I'm not exactly to convinced though, half the people say they fit and have done it the other half say they need to change the top hats. Surely someone on here has tried it before and knows.
Old 01 May 2016, 08:01 AM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil I have read about this issue aswell but for some reason other people on other sites seem to think they will fit straight in....I'm not exactly to convinced though, half the people say they fit and have done it the other half say they need to change the top hats. Surely someone on here has tried it before and knows.
I was told by an ex Prodrive engineer they won't fit on the rear as the springs are slightly different size, as I accidently bought bug eye springs. So I contacted Peter Cambridge at PCA Dynamics and he supplied me the right ones (for my 2005 blob, if you early one is different I dont know?). These springs sit 30mm lower at the front so I was well happy A very nice set up I think
Phil
Old 01 May 2016, 02:20 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Subaru in their infinite wisdom changed the rear top mounts from Bug to Blob. Therefore the springs are not interchangeable. You will need Blob mounts for Blob springs and vice versa. The fronts remained the same.

To clarify, you can mix and match the top-mounts and springs between the cars, they both fit but you must use matching mounts with matching springs.
Old 01 May 2016, 05:02 PM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Hi thanks for the help, so my next question does anyone here have some top mounts for sale and the scooby921 spacers as I believe I will need them aswell. Thanks
Old 01 May 2016, 05:44 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi thanks for the help, so my next question does anyone here have some top mounts for sale and the scooby921 spacers as I believe I will need them aswell. Thanks
You only need the spacer, if you're combining rear bug struts with rear blob springs and rear blob top mounts.

You could use these, instead of the scooby921 spacer:
http://www.pedders.co.uk/strut-fitti...t_p4512840.htm
Doubt they're 4150 hardened material though.

Last edited by 2pot; 01 May 2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: correct my reply!
Old 01 May 2016, 05:51 PM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Ok so to clarify I am using bug struts and blob springs, so the only thing I need to change is the top mounts? Would love to get a decent pair of complete units that would fit straight on if anyone has any. I have a complete set of blob springs that will be forsale if anyone is interested in them. Providing I get a pair of bug units of course. Depends what I can find quicker. Thanks
Old 01 May 2016, 10:12 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Would love to get a decent pair of complete units that would fit straight on if anyone has any. I have a complete set of blob springs that will be forsale if anyone is interested in them. Providing I get a pair of bug units of course. Depends what I can find quicker. Thanks
The damping in the wrx bug strut, is a match for the lower rate, wrx bug, spring.
Old 01 May 2016, 10:16 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ok so to clarify I am using bug struts and blob springs, so the only thing I need to change is the top mounts?
Amended reply in post #7.

Last edited by 2pot; 01 May 2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02 May 2016, 09:54 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Rear KYB blob/hawk v rear KYB bug with spacer v rear koni insert 8610-1440 blob/hawk (insert 8610-1408 is rear bug)

The spacer is necessary on the bug strut, when using a blob/hawk top mount.
As the nut will bottom out on the available thread, before fully securing the top mount - leaving an amount of up/down movement.

Last edited by 2pot; 02 May 2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02 May 2016, 10:14 AM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks for that although people have told me they have done the same change and not needed anything so I'm gonna take one side off later and give it ago and find out if I do indeed need the parts, to many people have split outcomes it's not easy to figure out what's what...thanks for the help and advice so far I will post pics in a day or two with my progress and see who's right
Old 02 May 2016, 11:54 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

On average, the strut intrudes 1.5mm too far, through the top mount, but it depends on the length that the strut threads were cut - you might get lucky.
Any issue though, and it's going to loosen, and hammer itself a bigger gap.
The other issue is, without the spacer, the intentional contact between top hat and strut body (that stops coil bind) is going to occur 8mm earlier.
And of course, you've still got the issue, that a bug damper can't control a blob spring.

Last edited by 2pot; 02 May 2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06 May 2016, 09:55 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As can be seen below the threads, the shoulder of the Bug rear strut, is intruding 2.5mm too far, through the rear blob/hawk top mount:

Last edited by 2pot; 06 May 2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06 May 2016, 12:57 PM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Hi just an update I can confirm the blob springs will not go on my bug struts....they won't seat properly for a start and you are right they most definitely need to spacers and top mounts.....so after what turned out to be am extremely late night last night I had to result in welding my old springs so I could get home and I am now looking to sell a complete set of 4 like new blob springs (come from a turbo model) and I'm looking to buy some bug rear struts and springs complete so I can just bolt them straight in.....thanks for the help 2pot
Old 06 May 2016, 01:15 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

What exactly do you have and what exactly do need?

If you already have Bug struts, why are you looking to buy another set? If you are going to buy more struts, why not buy Blob struts and top mounts, then you don't need the spacers and can keep the springs you already have?

Or keep you struts and springs and just buy Blob mounts and spacers? I think that selling your Blob springs and buying new Bug Springs & Struts is going to work out the most expensive option.

To add; I have a complete Bug WRX suspension in my shed. The struts have had it (hence why they were replaced) but the springs are probably fine with a clean up and some paint. I also have brand new Bug rear mounts and brand new bump stops.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 06 May 2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06 May 2016, 02:41 PM
Lhmotorcycles
Scooby Newbie

Hi technopug I considered complete units because I found last night that my struts are quite weak there not leaking but I don't think they will last much longer...so I'm probably better off with complete struts and springs I need them quite quickly and don't really want to go buy different bits online and wait for delivery I would sooner get a complete set up and just bolt it on. So in short I have 2 weak struts and 2 rear springs that have been welded to get me about, and I have a complete set of 4 blob springs that are like new. I was just gonna sell the blob springs and buy some big units complete.