Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

VAG double dealing

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2016, 05:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default VAG double dealing

So they are willing to buy back, and pay compensation in North America, for their dishonesty, but nothing in the UK?

And meanwhile, their directors share €49million?

Something amiss here, surely?
Old 29 April 2016, 05:54 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
So they are willing to buy back, and pay compensation in North America, for their dishonesty, but nothing in the UK?

uk public gets rimmed by the krauts surely not lol
Old 29 April 2016, 06:33 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it not a fundamentally different issue between the UK and the States (I.e. They're actually breaking US emissions legislation)?
Old 29 April 2016, 07:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I thought their ecus were meant to fool ours too?
Old 29 April 2016, 07:24 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my letter through last week about the software update.
Unsure whether to have it as I've heard it strangles the performance.
Old 29 April 2016, 08:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
I got my letter through last week about the software update.
Unsure whether to have it as I've heard it strangles the performance.
But if you dont your car will be worth naff all if they bring in MOT checks to ensure vw are legal
Old 29 April 2016, 08:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

need to get it on a dyno before the software update and then after and see if it drops power. if it does i wonder if you have a legal case?
Old 29 April 2016, 09:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
But if you dont your car will be worth naff all if they bring in MOT checks to ensure vw are legal

Mate Mot diesel emissions check just looks at smoke and nothing else (VW got into trouble in the USA due to NOx, not soot). As it stands any DPF equipped car will breeze through a UK mot emission test.

And NOx testing would require new gas analysers. Considering these start at £4000+vat for a basic one plus calibration and update fees, then the test procedure would have be written by VOSA which works at the speed of a sloth.

On the basis it took ten years to computerise it (the monitors and printers originally supplied were ten years old...new and sat in a warehouse somewhere pending roll-out). It'll take st least ten years to bring in NOx testing.

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 April 2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 29 April 2016, 09:15 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I thought their ecus were meant to fool ours too?
Iirc the UK MOT tests diesel emissions by a 'smoke test', where as the American equivalent seems to involve an actual emissions content test (although as is the way, it seems to vary by state).
Old 29 April 2016, 10:58 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

I'd rather they fixed the voice control function.
Sod the emissions
Old 30 April 2016, 12:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I really fail to see why people are up in arms about this lol

If you take off the "Indignant of middle England" glasses lol, and step back and look at where your posting this thread

In a car forum, where 90% of the posts are to do with tweaking ecu's remaps and decats lol!

If someone rocked up here and said they had a software update / tweak that would guarantee your remapped, decatted, overbored, water injected, lambda bypassed xxxx model would pass the mot for emmisions, you and hundreds of others would be beating a path to there door to install /remap you car!

Now that it's happened, in a roundabout way, your all up in arms lol

go figure

Mart
Old 30 April 2016, 12:54 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

as i have one of the cars effected i personally couldnt give a toss as the car is a diesel bought for work purposes and as i will have it for 5 years 100k i doubt the second hand value will be effected either.

i wont have the fix applied either despite the letter if they do it in the annual service remains to be seen.
Old 30 April 2016, 10:27 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by mart360

If you take off the "Indignant of middle England" glasses lol, and step back and look at where your posting this thread

In a car forum, where 90% of the posts are to do with tweaking ecu's remaps and decats lol!

If someone rocked up here and said they had a software update / tweak that would guarantee your remapped, decatted, overbored, water injected, lambda bypassed xxxx model would pass the mot for emmisions, you and hundreds of others would be beating a path to there door to install /remap you car!

go figure

Mart
Love it..
Old 01 May 2016, 07:08 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

go figure

Mart

Those days are gone, embrace the environmental driver
Old 01 May 2016, 10:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The environmental bit doesn't bother me...I just hate to see VW fawning on the US market and giving us two fingers. EU? Shove it.
Old 01 May 2016, 10:36 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

The environmental bit doesn't bother me...I just hate to see VW fawning on the US market and giving us two fingers. EU? Shove it.
This has been explained already though, the effect on the associated markets is completely different. Why should VW offer a by back scheme in the European market when the emission fudging doesn't actually affect the end user.
Old 01 May 2016, 11:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As said Federal emissions standards are different to EU standards and enforced differently too. Different regs have been broken here to the USA.

Federal emission standard at various points have been stricter than the UK. Also vehicles were given big tax breaks based on different emissions (carcinogens) in the USA to how we tax it over here (where we're obsessed with the stuff we exhale...co2 ). Arguably it's harder to cheat on CO2 than NOx on a diesel and seeing the primary problem is with NOx it's not a tax issue with Uk cars...it is in the USA. And as we all well know the yanks don't like foreigners fiddling with their tax system.

Certainly there are versions of the same engine have different emission control equipment depending on if it's UK spec or USA spec- that's been the case for many cars going as far back as the 1970s (you should see all the emission control crap fitted to a USA spec Rover V8 or Triumph TR6).

Modifying a engine to regulate emissions may involve more than just software changes. So the cost of this in terms of development, testing, gaining government approval, production of replacement/retrofit parts and labour could outweigh the cost of buying the car back in the USA, plus paying owed "evaded" tax from cars that should be in a higher tax band...hence compensation.

The Amarok is on the recall list in the UK, now I've worked on these and noted they already have most of the emissions control equipment fitted (and several electric coolant pumps...one just to run the EGR cooler ), and are also a commercial vehicle..so may have more relaxed limits for its weight class...therefore it's likely these can be easily fixed with software....maybe at the expense of performance/driveability and/or economy though.
Old 02 May 2016, 09:02 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Tbh i dont think vag emmissions are that bad, i can have them ticking over on a ramp for a whole MOT test and not really notice the fumes, however vauxhall and saabs, they need something sorting as when these are running the fumes are enough to make your eyes water, they are really bad. The amount of times ive had to stop mid mot test and go outside for fresh air is unbelieveable.
Old 03 May 2016, 01:23 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

go figure

Mart
WE are asking for this to be done and know the consequences.

We are not getting blindsided by a multi national behemoth of a company who cheated.
Old 04 May 2016, 04:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

And when Porsche had issues with the engine in the new GT3, North America customers got compensation. So did German customers.

UK customers got nowt.

Americans sue, we don't.
Old 04 May 2016, 05:58 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm with you on this one, Mart360.