Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Checking your balls

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2016, 09:54 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Checking your *****

So we had a charity in work yesterday talking about testicular cancer, the signs symptoms and how to examine yourself.

I was blown away by the amount of blokes who had no idea and even more so by the number of them that never check or in a few cases even touch their ball sack..

One guy left the room and fainted when the plastic ***** were handed out, another has had a lump and pain for 2 years but refuses to get it checked

I mean my god

How many of you chaps don't check your chaps? it's common sense to me.
Old 23 April 2016, 10:39 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evidence?
Old 23 April 2016, 11:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Evidence?

of?
Old 23 April 2016, 11:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

least you can see what youre doing /have decent health service here

My bro inlaw in zim has been thinner than should be perhaps for last three years , but outwardly normal otherwise , ate well moved around a lot

4 days ago had bit fever and started vomiting blood / being sick , something like this but on much smaller scale happened about 1.5 years ago . He got monthly injections of something to treat paranoia - he had badly adverse reaction to smoking weed in his teens- completely ruined an intelligent bloke

Anyway hes dead , some kind undiagnosed digestion problem or deliberate poisoning leading internal bleeding
Old 23 April 2016, 04:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
He got monthly injections of something to treat paranoia

FYI you're stories are really depressing and blunt ..

Sorry for your loss though
Old 23 April 2016, 04:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

the depressing ( and bewildering ) part is how hes managed to keep this from everyone including his wife - until it was all too late

iv spent hrs over last day scouring the intenet and read that you can go for years without even knowing you've got a stomach ulcer

all the relatives are gathered there now apparently , funeral Monday - absolutely everyone gets buried , and everyone belongs to a club in preparation for the cost

They ( the relatives ) all thought was going to be his / girlfriends mother , who will outlast everyone at this rate .

A funeral in zim is an excuse for a party though in zim , Iv provided some funds

Last edited by dpb; 23 April 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 23 April 2016, 04:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
of?
For checking *****.

I don't mean pictures or video, but controlled trials of the effectiveness of checking ***** to prevent death from testicular cancer.

Public tend to believe emotive campaigns by charities and rarely question the claims.

Last edited by john banks; 23 April 2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 23 April 2016, 04:51 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI you're stories are really depressing and blunt ..

Sorry for your loss though
Sorry Pimmo but that made laugh big time!!!! Maybe I'm odd

Oh, dpb I too am sorry for your loss, sincerely
Old 23 April 2016, 04:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

My apologies , I think it gives a bit of perspective when we complain about our own nhs though

Last edited by dpb; 23 April 2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 23 April 2016, 05:35 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
My apologies , I think it give a bit of perspective when we complain about our own nhs though
You know what, when I was diagnosed with cancer last June the treatment I received was second to none. I was operated on the day after being told the bad news. Yesterday we went to visit wife's mum in Leeds General Infirmary, we left at 3.15. Today we went again to find she had been transferred to Pinderfields in Wakefield!!! No one bothered to let us know.
NHS, priceless.

Last edited by wrx300scooby; 23 April 2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 23 April 2016, 06:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You did find her though .
One the more disturbing stories Zim last year was patients who had been wrongly assigned amputation
Sent packing with a "sorry" .
Old 23 April 2016, 08:03 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For checking *****.

I don't mean pictures or video, but controlled trials of the effectiveness of checking ***** to prevent death from testicular cancer.

Public tend to believe emotive campaigns by charities and rarely question the claims.
I'm pleased to hear you say that - it is essentially what I was wanting to respond with, but I am not a trained clinician - my thoughts on this, are that if you are not in a high risk category (cancer in family or other medical predisposition), you don't smoke, don't drink to excess and lead a relatively healthy lifestyle you are being lumped into the demographic which is the inverse of some or all of those things.

Do you know what the stats for false positives look like John?
Old 23 April 2016, 08:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Might have a paywall but http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e...svYzLzTQ%3D%3D
Old 23 April 2016, 09:18 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Thanks John - an interesting read and quite a statement from John Ravera.
Old 23 April 2016, 09:48 PM
Rooneypies
Scooby Regular

I agree, check your ***** regularly and go to the docs if you notice anything different. Plus think about your prostate too. Affects blokes a lot too.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate...s-and-symptoms
Old 23 April 2016, 10:48 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rooneypies
I agree, check your ***** regularly and go to the docs if you notice anything different. Plus think about your prostate too. Affects blokes a lot too.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate...s-and-symptoms
See post 10, that's what I had.
Old 23 April 2016, 11:00 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

So we had a charity in work yesterday talking about testicular cancer, the signs symptoms and how to examine yourself.

I was blown away by the amount of blokes who had no idea and even more so by the number of them that never check or in a few cases even touch their ball sack..

One guy left the room and fainted when the plastic ***** were handed out, another has had a lump and pain for 2 years but refuses to get it checked

I mean my god

How many of you chaps don't check your chaps? it's common sense to me.
If you've never touch your sack that means you've never washed it!!!!!!!
Old 24 April 2016, 08:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

For checking *****.

I'm lost, are you suggesting that early detection of testicular cancer isn't any help?

Unless I've been completely mislead my entire life, finding cancer early is a good thing?
Old 24 April 2016, 09:09 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

For checking *****.

Would this (self checking) be the same for other types of cancer, say Breast Cancer or Skin cancer

Or is the theory that testicular cancer is so rare that all self checking would do is clogg up the NHS with false positives - and use up resources that could be best directed elsewhere

My GP friend said something similar about the tests for prostrate cancer - he was against because he felt it was ineffective on both a clinical and resource utilisation level

Btw, that BMJ article just looks like an opinion letter - not a peer review study
Old 24 April 2016, 12:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The references are behind the paywall hodgy0_2. It is reasonable to summarise evidence in something that looks like an opinion letter if the underlying evidence is referenced.

The idea that detecting all cancers early by screening is appealing, but not evidence based. Even far more common cancers that have a much higher risk of death are borderline which is why we don't screen for everything. Prostate cancer screening is a hot potato for example. It is very easy to identify and treat prostate cancers that need so many men to be screened, investigated and treated that many think the overall burden of the intervention is more than the overall burden of the disease. For example, you can take a man and medicalise the remainder of his life and not prolong it. Yet he might feel grateful for early diagnosis and treatment. Overall you are sometimes doing more harm than good.

The following addresses the other points:

There is no good evidence that routine testicular self examination is of any benefit.4 5 6 Nor will there ever be: a study of adequate power would require millions of men, simply because testicular cancer is so rare.4 This fact is distorted by all the well meaning evangelism—few consumers of men’s health media would realise, for example, that the average general practitioner will see only one new case every 20 years.7
Another myth is that testicular cancer is a silent killer. In fact, nearly half of patients have testicular pain.8 And, though a painless testicular swelling is described as the typical presentation, this is often symptomatic—through causing a heaviness, a mass effect, or other symptoms.9 10 This may, understandably, prompt self examination, in which case the activity is typically misinterpreted as a life saving triumph. But this is simply a victory for common sense—for taking notice of symptoms and acting on them. It’s a world away from the notion of routine self examination in asymptomatic men, as advocated by the enthusiasts. The chances of discovering something significant from routine self examination of the ********* are minuscule—at least 50 000 men would need to examine themselves for 10 years to prevent one death.11
What will self examination elicit, though? Incidentalomas—because benign scrotal swellings such as varicoceles and epididymal cysts are relatively common.7 These will provoke anything from mild concern to incapacitating anxiety.4 And that anxiety can be infectious, worrying general practitioners into unnecessary ultrasound requests or referral, thereby lengthening the queue for patients who really do need further assessment.
It seems odd that there hasn’t been a more critical assessment of routine testicular self examination given that an analogous activity—routine breast self examination in women—has been discredited. There is no evidence that routine breast self examination is of benefit, but it is known to cause harm, through generating anxiety and unnecessary biopsies.12 Medical professionals have been slow to implement this evidence—perhaps because it seems counterintuitive, or because the Department of Health’s current policy of so called self awareness is difficult to understand or convey.
Or perhaps the real problem is the public’s confused and disbelieving reaction when the medical profession makes an about face. For example, when Michael Baum, professor emeritus of surgery and visiting professor of medical humanities at University College London, once explained the lack of evidence behind routine self examination of the breast to an audience of women in Miami, “About half the audience stormed out knocking over their chairs in their fury and one shouted out loudly, ‘We don’t need to listen to this crap.’” My own previous attempts to debate the merits of routine testicular self examination have been met, by men’s health groups and charities, with either disbelief or hostility—with the accusation, at one point, that I was “wishing cancer on men.”

Last edited by john banks; 24 April 2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 24 April 2016, 01:11 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

My missus does mine for me with her mouth, shes VERY thorough....
Old 24 April 2016, 08:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

The references are behind the paywall hodgy0_2. It is reasonable to summarise evidence in something that looks like an opinion letter if the underlying evidence is referenced.

The idea that detecting all cancers early by screening is appealing, but not evidence based. Even far more common cancers that have a much higher risk of death are borderline which is why we don't screen for everything. Prostate cancer screening is a hot potato for example. It is very easy to identify and treat prostate cancers that need so many men to be screened, investigated and treated that many think the overall burden of the intervention is more than the overall burden of the disease. For example, you can take a man and medicalise the remainder of his life and not prolong it. Yet he might feel grateful for early diagnosis and treatment. Overall you are sometimes doing more harm than good.

The following addresses the other points:
Sure, I understand the salient points regarding evidence based medicine

One of my questions was around self checking for Brest cancer and skin cancer

Is this in your opinion a waste of time
Old 24 April 2016, 09:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

On my understanding of the evidence, I do not advise women to perform routine breast self examination.

I have not assessed the evidence for routine skin self examination, but am unaware of any quality guidance suggesting I should encourage it.
Old 25 April 2016, 08:17 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

On my understanding of the evidence, I do not advise women to perform routine breast self examination.

I have not assessed the evidence for routine skin self examination, but am unaware of any quality guidance suggesting I should encourage it.
Isn't it better to advise to check yourself. It certainly can't do any harm and may just save one extra person's life
Old 25 April 2016, 11:12 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

John

Is it not better for a woman who finds a lump in her breast to have it checked by a doctor rather than to not check and miss finding the lump?

In my direct experience one who did and who had breast cancer is still alive as she caught it early, and one who didn't and had breast cancer is now dead.
Old 25 April 2016, 03:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

do you get central advice on these things John, from the Government etc

or is it left for individual GP's to decide what to advise patients

I sort of get your point about some charities creating more heat that light about some of these things - and making themselves look good in the process

but I must admit I thought the advice re checking Breast and Skin was more than simply charities bandwagoning

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 25 April 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 25 April 2016, 03:46 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
My missus does mine for me with her mouth, shes VERY thorough....
I quite agree ....she is very thorough...
Old 25 April 2016, 04:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Isn't it better to advise to check yourself. It certainly can't do any harm and may just save one extra person's life

From the quote earlier, "There is no evidence that routine breast self examination is of benefit, but it is known to cause harm, through generating anxiety and unnecessary biopsies."

There is a difference between this and reporting a finding.

Additionally, breast cancer has a much worse overall prognosis than testicular cancer and is much more common.

There are many evidence based guidelines on many topics in the medical literature, some British, some international, some government/NHS, some independent. Generalists and specialists use them. They have standardised methods of giving grades of evidence. A doctor has a responsibility to act within their knowledge and keep themselves up to date. The things I say on here and everywhere respect those requirements and hopefully if you look at the evidence yourselves, rather than listening to vocal vested interests (including charities, drug companies, pressure groups) you will find that much of medicine is trying hard to be evidence based rather than doing or recommending things because they seem a good idea. Often things that intuitively seem a good idea are not because of unintended consequences. It can be difficult to get your head around when someone like me says the opposite to a charity worker. However, I'm directing you to look at the evidence. The charity worker, whilst meaning well, and probably believing everything they say, has not studied evidence based medicine, and often their livelihood depends on promoting a message. They are less controlled in this than drug companies.
Old 25 April 2016, 07:57 PM
DavidJohn
Scooby Regular

I completely disagree with discouraging any man to self check. We're bad enough at checking things as it is. The 'let's not talk about it attitude' led my 18 year old brother to be too embarrassed to talk about the testicular lump he found & the first we knew was when he passed out & coughed blood.

He passed away approx a week later.

I'd rather be behind 10 men in a queue to see the doctor and ALL be wrong than 1 fail to find it & die.
Old 25 April 2016, 08:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I always get my G/F to check mine when she pops them in her mouth.

Quick Reply: Checking your balls