Junction17 performance cars Peterborough - avoid at all costs

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2016, 08:51 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junction17 performance cars Peterborough - avoid at all costs

Hey guys,

I've run out of patience attempting to negotiate with these crooks now, so I wanted to make sure I'd given you all fair warning - best avoid Junction17 cars in Peterborough at all costs. They have a fancy showroom filled with tempting various brand sportscars, so they crop up in various online ads and searches.

Just over 2 weeks ago I traded in my mint Abarth 595 plus some cash for a leggy 2008 350Z. I went into the purchase with my eyes open on a 2008 car with 70-odd K miles on the clock (in other words I didn't expect perfection!), but negotiated a fresh MOT and service for the day before I picked the car up. Exchange and handover went OK on the day and aside from a promise from the dealership to send on the missing satnav DVD later as well as to arrange for the fixing of a dent in the wing and a chip in the windscreen, I left and drove home fairly satisfied. I also bought their full aftermarket warranty. Drive home went OK, no terrible noises, but I stuck on the motorway and kept it slow whilst I got used to the new car.

The following day I went out for a drive in the evening. Doing about 60mph on a bumpy single carriage A road (yes no more than 60 - I had literally just started accelerating on a clear stretch), when the bonnet flew up with a crash, smashing into the windscreen and roof and obscuring my vision. Needless to say I was pretty shaken up, and could have been killed if it had happened in the fast lane of the motorway, but luckily I managed to bring the car to a blind stop safely. There was massive damage to the bonnet (it had inverted with the impact), the car roof had 5-6 large dents, and both front wing panels had been damaged where the bonnet hinges had folded back under pressure.

I managed to limp the car the short way home and assessed the damage. I couldn't believe that the bonnet had flown open at speed, or that somehow I would have failed to have shut it, despite always being very careful about that sort of thing and being a very experienced car owner, including much more exotic cars than the 350. I could immediately see the problem - the bonnet catch mechanism was totally rusted and gunged up, so much so in fact that it looked like it would have trouble ever engaging fully. The secondary/safety catch was also suspect, since it could move it to the 'open' position and it wouldn't spring closed as it should, due to the rusty condition.

I was shocked and appalled that only the day before the car had been given a clean pre-sale inspection by Junction17 cars, as well as an MOT from their local pet MOT station. I called them up and asked them to rectify the damage. They refused. They also refused to accept the car back as a reject/refund, since I had supposedly damaged it. Apparently I must have driven off with the bonnet open (no explanation of how the secondary catch also failed), and also, since i had driven home from the dealership on the day of purchase OK, it was allegedly clearly no longer their problem.

Obviously I argued the toss but their sales manager Jamie was rude, sarcastic and somehow obsequious all at the same time which really got my back up. I eventually found a different email address for their 'customer care' manager but over the last two weeks have gotten no joy through that route either, aside from a supposed 'goodwill offer' for me to go and have the car fixed in their garage - at my own cost! They seem to have literally no regard for the significant safety issues with the car they sold me, and therefore no regard for the safety of their customers, viewing it instead as a financial issue they would rather just ignore.

A few days after the incident I rang the AA and was recommended to have a £195 'engineers report' done by their recommended agency, Dekra. I arranged for this to be done and their engineer was as appalled as I was. His report is damning and concludes with the statement 'The deficiencies in the bonnet catch operation should have been identified both in any reasonably accomplished pre-sale inspection but crucially should have been identified on the MOT test inspection as a point of failure on primary catch function.'

Junction17 still refuse to take any responsibility whatsoever, and have now referred the matter to their lawyers. They are obviously well used to having disgruntled customers!
I've now referred the matter to Trading Standards who are also taking it seriously, since it relates to personal safety as much as a breach of consumer rights.

I've had two insurance quotes, both stating the need for a new roof, bonnet, two front wings, windscreen and painting. Estimates vary from £3300 to over 5000.
Oh and to add insult to injury, I've just found out that the supposedly 'HPI clear' car they sold me .... has outstanding finance on it.

Please take my advice and steer well clear of the cowboys at Junction17. They have some shiny cars so you may well be tempted in there. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 29 March 2016, 09:04 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound good. Unfortunately its not the first time I've heard bad things about this garage
Old 29 March 2016, 09:33 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Can you not also use the report to notify VOSA of the poor MOT testing
Old 29 March 2016, 09:48 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Being honest, who buys a car and doesn't go under the bonnet to check fluids?

you may think it sounds harsh but as quote " a very experienced car owner, including much more exotic cars than the 350. I could immediately see the problem - the bonnet catch mechanism was totally rusted and gunged up"
You didnt even bother to pop open the bonnet and check for leaks or the levels of the fluids in a car new to you, that you knew next to nothing about,

all your problems would not have happened if you had spent a few minutes on your new car,
wire brush and squirt of lube . . .
Old 29 March 2016, 09:56 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Being honest, who buys a car and doesn't go under the bonnet to check fluids?

you may think it sounds harsh but as quote " a very experienced car owner, including much more exotic cars than the 350. I could immediately see the problem - the bonnet catch mechanism was totally rusted and gunged up"
You didnt even bother to pop open the bonnet and check for leaks or the levels of the fluids in a car new to you, that you knew next to nothing about,

all your problems would not have happened if you had spent a few minutes on your new car,
wire brush and squirt of lube . . .
Fair observation, especially given what I wrote. But I did actually pop the hood and check fluids - in fact I did that whilst I was still on the premises before even driving the car home. Unfortunately I did (clearly) miss the issue with the catch itself though. Remember though that things like that are the remit of the MOT to catch - in the heat of the moment anyone can miss anything (in other words I didn't have the same checklist that the MOT station did ... and clearly the safety catch was 'good enough' that it lasted my initial trip home).
Old 29 March 2016, 10:00 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveR

Oh and to add insult to injury, I've just found out that the supposedly 'HPI clear' car they sold me .... has outstanding finance on it.
You didn't HPI check it yourself?
Old 29 March 2016, 10:04 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
You didn't HPI check it yourself?
Shoulda/woulda .....
In this case I was initially bamboozled by the fact that I believed in the dealer I walked into. Naive of course (in retrospect) .... and only ran my own check afterwards (too late).

From their site: "We carefully source the best quality cars for stock, and check their history with HPI and VOSA."

Having said that - yep - lesson learned, should have done that myself too and not trusted them!
Old 29 March 2016, 10:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

On the plus side you have everything in your favour, they should repair the car or you can reject it, the report you got is a bonus for you not them and you shouldnt have needed to get that as you haven't had the car 6 months.

If it was me I would write the official letter rejecting the car (google it) and then go through the motions, failing that I would camp out at their place until it's resolved.

Good luck.

BTW even I checked the oil and fluids on my daughters car when she got it on Monday.... ;-)
Old 30 March 2016, 08:55 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate all these supposedly "higher end" car dealers with names like "Junction17 performance cars", "boys toys cars", "Clive's performance cars". Even the name is enough to put me off! I haven't bought a single car from a dealer; always gone private and never had a bad experience.

It sounds like you will get it solved but it'll probably take a while.

Last edited by LSherratt; 30 March 2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 30 March 2016, 09:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

id always hpi myself , for the 35 quid or whatever it was when bought the Mondeo

had a warranty with it , helped when the clutch flywheel went , didn't help when the turbo blow

dealers know exactly when your car is going to blow up imo

I didn't know bonnet catch was mot req , but it makes sense
Old 30 March 2016, 10:29 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it had finance on it was it theirs to sell as they did not have legal title?

Shaun
Old 30 March 2016, 11:23 AM
bruce1986
Scooby Regular

My old man has just spent 43k on a jag at junction 17,best tell him to do some digging on the car
Old 30 March 2016, 11:46 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Hey guys,

I've run out of patience attempting to negotiate with these crooks now, so I wanted to make sure I'd given you all fair warning - best avoid Junction17 cars in Peterborough at all costs. They have a fancy showroom filled with tempting various brand sportscars, so they crop up in various online ads and searches.

Just over 2 weeks ago I traded in my mint Abarth 595 plus some cash for a leggy 2008 350Z. I went into the purchase with my eyes open on a 2008 car with 70-odd K miles on the clock (in other words I didn't expect perfection!), but negotiated a fresh MOT and service for the day before I picked the car up. Exchange and handover went OK on the day and aside from a promise from the dealership to send on the missing satnav DVD later as well as to arrange for the fixing of a dent in the wing and a chip in the windscreen, I left and drove home fairly satisfied. I also bought their full aftermarket warranty. Drive home went OK, no terrible noises, but I stuck on the motorway and kept it slow whilst I got used to the new car.

The following day I went out for a drive in the evening. Doing about 60mph on a bumpy single carriage A road (yes no more than 60 - I had literally just started accelerating on a clear stretch), when the bonnet flew up with a crash, smashing into the windscreen and roof and obscuring my vision. Needless to say I was pretty shaken up, and could have been killed if it had happened in the fast lane of the motorway, but luckily I managed to bring the car to a blind stop safely. There was massive damage to the bonnet (it had inverted with the impact), the car roof had 5-6 large dents, and both front wing panels had been damaged where the bonnet hinges had folded back under pressure.

I managed to limp the car the short way home and assessed the damage. I couldn't believe that the bonnet had flown open at speed, or that somehow I would have failed to have shut it, despite always being very careful about that sort of thing and being a very experienced car owner, including much more exotic cars than the 350. I could immediately see the problem - the bonnet catch mechanism was totally rusted and gunged up, so much so in fact that it looked like it would have trouble ever engaging fully. The secondary/safety catch was also suspect, since it could move it to the 'open' position and it wouldn't spring closed as it should, due to the rusty condition.

I was shocked and appalled that only the day before the car had been given a clean pre-sale inspection by Junction17 cars, as well as an MOT from their local pet MOT station. I called them up and asked them to rectify the damage. They refused. They also refused to accept the car back as a reject/refund, since I had supposedly damaged it. Apparently I must have driven off with the bonnet open (no explanation of how the secondary catch also failed), and also, since i had driven home from the dealership on the day of purchase OK, it was allegedly clearly no longer their problem.

Obviously I argued the toss but their sales manager Jamie was rude, sarcastic and somehow obsequious all at the same time which really got my back up. I eventually found a different email address for their 'customer care' manager but over the last two weeks have gotten no joy through that route either, aside from a supposed 'goodwill offer' for me to go and have the car fixed in their garage - at my own cost! They seem to have literally no regard for the significant safety issues with the car they sold me, and therefore no regard for the safety of their customers, viewing it instead as a financial issue they would rather just ignore.

A few days after the incident I rang the AA and was recommended to have a £195 'engineers report' done by their recommended agency, Dekra. I arranged for this to be done and their engineer was as appalled as I was. His report is damning and concludes with the statement 'The deficiencies in the bonnet catch operation should have been identified both in any reasonably accomplished pre-sale inspection but crucially should have been identified on the MOT test inspection as a point of failure on primary catch function.'

Junction17 still refuse to take any responsibility whatsoever, and have now referred the matter to their lawyers. They are obviously well used to having disgruntled customers!
I've now referred the matter to Trading Standards who are also taking it seriously, since it relates to personal safety as much as a breach of consumer rights.

I've had two insurance quotes, both stating the need for a new roof, bonnet, two front wings, windscreen and painting. Estimates vary from £3300 to over 5000.

Please take my advice and steer well clear of the cowboys at Junction17. They have some shiny cars so you may well be tempted in there. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I hope you get your money back PLUS some compensation, they sound like a right bunch of *****. I really hate hearing about people getting ripped off by people like this. HPI and everything else are surely their responsibility as a dealership?
Old 30 March 2016, 12:12 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck and stick at it as in my opinion you have a good case against this company.
Old 30 March 2016, 12:23 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Surely with the independent engineers report and the fact there is outstanding finance on the car they are bang to rights, no?
Old 30 March 2016, 12:57 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

seen a few adds of theirs, had a feeling they were dodgy. All these dealers who sell performance cars tend to be the bad ones now days. Agree its more safer to sell a car private, you get a better impression from the owner if the car has been cared for.
Old 30 March 2016, 01:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

yes if they've flogged you a car with finance outstanding at the very least their reputation is finished
Old 30 March 2016, 01:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Why not just take them to court, even if you didn't win with the damage you would with out standing finance.
Old 30 March 2016, 01:31 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well thats where your going wrong, you need to look under the Bonnet.

Funny thing is didn't even know Subaru made a Legacy convertible.

Fair observation, especially given what I wrote. But I did actually pop the hood and check fluids - in fact I did that whilst I was still on the premises before even driving the car home. Unfortunately I did (clearly) miss the issue with the catch itself though. Remember though that things like that are the remit of the MOT to catch - in the heat of the moment anyone can miss anything (in other words I didn't have the same checklist that the MOT station did ... and clearly the safety catch was 'good enough' that it lasted my initial trip home).
Old 30 March 2016, 11:11 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
yes if they've flogged you a car with finance outstanding at the very least their reputation is finished
Thats what I cant believe, a place that sells £60k Bentleys has cars with outstanding finance for sale.

Damn shame whats happened to the 350Z
Old 31 March 2016, 10:13 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste RB5138
Thats what I cant believe, a place that sells £60k Bentleys has cars with outstanding finance for sale.

Damn shame whats happened to the 350Z
Remember - they could be selling cars on commission and don't actually own them.
Old 31 March 2016, 11:12 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well you could extend this , to say that nobody actually owns anything ...!
except the bank

its on their forecourt !
Old 31 March 2016, 11:23 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05wrx
Remember - they could be selling cars on commission and don't actually own them.
I know of a lot sales places that does S.O.R and its very popular
Old 31 March 2016, 11:31 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Well you could extend this , to say that nobody actually owns anything ...!
except the bank

its on their forecourt !
The point being - don't be fooled by £60k Bentleys on the forecourt - it don't mean nothing!!
Old 31 March 2016, 11:57 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed they have feedback from a customer called Mr Hector Bellerin.

Other than the Arsenal player I cant see this being a popular name, straight away you just think fake.

Good post BTW and I hope you get your car sorted
Old 31 March 2016, 12:02 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBB3
I know of a lot sales places that does S.O.R and its very popular

whats SOR
Old 31 March 2016, 12:16 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby k
whats SOR
Sale Or Return
Old 31 March 2016, 01:06 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

It is against the law for a dealer to sell a car with outstanding finance , people can and do get sent to jail for it. I would inform trading standards and the police. A dealer is legally obligated to properly hpi check every car they sell. ' I diddnt know it has finance' is not a defence :
Old 31 March 2016, 06:38 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Shocking story and sounds like some lessons learnt. It may take a while though seems you have them bang to rights, hope it gets sorted soon though.
Old 01 April 2016, 11:44 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a shocking story and I hope they get the book thrown at them! That could have been a very serious accident. I'd be really interest to know how you get on with the claim.

Quick Reply: Junction17 performance cars Peterborough - avoid at all costs