Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone used ChipsAway?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2016, 03:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used ChipsAway?

Some local little C*nts where my G/F lives has decided it's funny and hilarious to key peoples cars. Mines recently been the target.

4 lovely keyed panels down one side of my S3 saloon.

Anyone used ChipsAway to removed scratched bodywork? Are they any good, and were they reasonably priced?
Old 01 January 2016, 03:57 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Is it deep i.e? Can you feel it with finger nail if that makes sense? If not it might flat and polish(machine) out. If it is a deep scratch then its a body shop job. Chips away good and expensive for smart repairs like minor bumper scuffs. I work in a bodyshop and have seen many cars come in for vandal damage. If its low you could get away with vandalised panels painted but if for example the front wing needs painting towards top of panel depending on colour or how fussy you are a section of the bonnet might also need blending. This means extra cost. Maybe try insurance claim?
Old 01 January 2016, 03:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Franchise; so it's down to the individual.

Some off-site micro repairs can be rushed and if it's metallic or mica/pearl the pigment/fleck dispersal is always different to the factory paint. This is always noticeable with paint repairs, but how noticeable is down to how well it has been done (paint mix, gun angle, flow, pressure etc.) Its also down to car's overall condition and your gauge of what is an acceptable match. if it's a typical everyday car with the usual car wash swirls and you wash it once every blue moon or pay some Albanians to do it etc you won't notice, but if it's a newish car or concours condition and you wash and wax it yourself religiously then it can stick out like a sore thumb.

Ask yourself what is going to get better results...bloke with a van and a fold up tent spraying in the open air where the breeze, damp, cold, dust and insects reside....or a contained, filtered and heated spray booth. Both methods require skill and bodgers exist with both, but the latter always gets better results when done right where the former has limitations.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 January 2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01 January 2016, 04:52 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

lad opposite me works for auto restore , had loads painted by him and his workmanship is excellent .
As said above though , they are all franchise so it all boils down to the individual.
If it's not to deep a good detailer could maybe work some magic
Old 01 January 2016, 05:00 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've used chipsaway mate, and they did a cracking job. Had them back to colour code my door handles and respray mirrors as they were scratched up. Can't remember how much he charged but got receipts some where.
Old 01 January 2016, 05:52 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So you have an s3 saloon and are cheaping out on chips away, unbelievable. Dont take to anyone who doesnt have a propper booth.
Old 02 January 2016, 10:53 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a red Honda Civic (no I'm not PSL) repaired by chips away once. Was an okay job considering is was done on my driveway. A bodyshop would have been better, but as it was a company car I wasn't too worried.
Old 03 January 2016, 09:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

^thats where the standards lie^

If at a distance it looks fine yet on closer inspection you can see where a repair has been done, some would say that's acceptable. Some won't.

I'm always the latter.
Old 03 January 2016, 12:39 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

I used a chips away guy who actually worked from a unit. I don't know if any others do but it's worth looking into. I used them for a focus st in orange and that's a special paint type and he did a good job to be fair
Old 03 January 2016, 04:41 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well, it turns out it a local girl who has taken exception to me parking in `Her spot`, even though its not designated parking bays, just a side road off the main village road. She even lives a few streets away, but that's where `she parks`.

Confronted her, and her answer was very mono-tone and just answered "I wouldn't do that". Yet 30 seconds later admitted that it's her spot and is very annoyed I park there. Wouldn't care, the stupid b!tch is hardly there, hence why I can get parked. First night I don't park there, there she is parked in that spot. Happy now.

How f**king selfish can you get, damaging someone's car because you deem it to be your spot??????????????????? Wouldn't care, she drives a nearly new DS3, so obviously likes having a nice car, yet does that to mine????

Police called, and statement given. Doubt anything will happen, as I have not actually witnessed her doing it. Just hope Karma does it's thing .........
Old 03 January 2016, 07:13 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Well, it turns out it a local girl who has taken exception to me parking in `Her spot`, even though its not designated parking bays, just a side road off the main village road. She even lives a few streets away, but that's where `she parks`.

Confronted her, and her answer was very mono-tone and just answered "I wouldn't do that". Yet 30 seconds later admitted that it's her spot and is very annoyed I park there. Wouldn't care, the stupid b!tch is hardly there, hence why I can get parked. First night I don't park there, there she is parked in that spot. Happy now.

How f**king selfish can you get, damaging someone's car because you deem it to be your spot??????????????????? Wouldn't care, she drives a nearly new DS3, so obviously likes having a nice car, yet does that to mine????

Police called, and statement given. Doubt anything will happen, as I have not actually witnessed her doing it. Just hope Karma does it's thing .........
Karma comes in the form of a lump hammer at 3am
Old 04 January 2016, 10:50 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by donny andi
Karma comes in the form of a lump hammer at 3am
Sounds like she needs a good kick in the fanny as well.
Old 04 January 2016, 12:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it really really pisses me off when people think that simply paying road tax (yes I know it is not called that ) entitles them to somehow "reserve" a place outside their house - or anywhere for that matter

if you do want to "reserve" a place outside your house - buy one with a fvcking drive
Old 04 January 2016, 12:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
it really really pisses me off when people think that simply paying road tax (yes I know it is not called that ) entitles them to somehow "reserve" a place outside their house - or anywhere for that matter

if you do want to "reserve" a place outside your house - buy one with a fvcking drive
+1 again.

If you put your car at their 'reserved' space, they stick an angry hand scribbled note on your car to basically tell you to 'move the F up' or 'Don't ever park your 4h1theap here again!'

This sort of people are usually quite chavvy in almost every faculty. I'm sure there are some exceptions, too.
Old 04 January 2016, 02:39 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I would have warned her against parking there again as there is obviously some nutter around who likes damaging cars.