Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

1HP - I just don't get it... do you?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 01:26 AM
IT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

ok, I'll start with an apology because I don't mean to offend any who has friends/daughters/mums/nieces (note the female trend here) with horses / ponies / any other 4 legged creatures...

<on soapbox>

.. but what is with the fascination of riding them at peak hours on back roads?

... I can't count the number of times I've slammed all on because a bunch of horses (two or more abreast always....WHY??) have suddenly blocked the road completely, and start flapping their arms for me to slow down. They don't pay road tax. I don't drive in their field. Why are they there? Why do they need to ride along the road at 1 mph bumpety bump and completely bugger up the traffic?

This not enough, you invariably end up with horse poo dropped on the road too, primed to spread all over your nice clean scooby - Dogs can't foul paths, how come horses can do what they please?...

Pah..I just dont get it - does anyone else????

<off soapbox>

IT.

Old 08 June 2002, 01:33 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have some sympathy with your point of view. I slow down when I see a horse as its the sensible thing to do.

What annoys me these days is tne increasing trend of the riders not to say thanks for me taking the time out to ensure they don't get dragged through a field backwards. They tend to just ride on with their noses in the air!

Other than that I live with it, as everybody else does, as its part of living out in the country.

I DO think that riders should:
a) pass some form of formal test BEFORE going out onto the road and
b) pay a tax to be on the road.

No doubt this will open up a can of worms. Ah well......

WB
Old 08 June 2002, 01:45 AM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

We get a lot of this around my area. The horses can be annoying, but fact is they do have a right to use the road, and I respect that. To be fair, you shouldn't really be driving at a speed that you cannot stop in the distance you can see, so you should never arrive unexpectedly on top of a horse at speed (unless they walk out of a field straight into the road without looking, which wouldn't surprise me)

My sympathy for horses did drop quite significantly the other day though - some b*****d decided to leave a six foot stream of horse $hit - and to be honest, this animal was ill - right across the front of my driveway. And just as I was driving back from the motor factors with a new set of front brake pads, I had to drive through this and cover my front wheels in the stuff before taking them off the car

I now have my high pressure line connected directly to the cess pit to spray the next horse rider to pass my house in raw sewage, see how they like it back
Old 08 June 2002, 08:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I don't understand the female fascination with horses at all, the damn things could be extinct for all I care.

I do slow down for horses, but for some reason they don't enjoy hearing it backfire on the overrun? Can't think why?
Old 08 June 2002, 08:33 AM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you want to understand the female fascination with horses, watch Cruel Intentions 2......
Old 08 June 2002, 08:44 AM
Dales
Scooby Regular

I agree - horses should not be allowed on the road given how busy they are these days. I've lost count of the number of times I have seen horses jump sideways into traffic due to some mysterious thing frightening them. How do owners get pleasure out of these constant near death experiences?
Old 08 June 2002, 09:11 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I agree with yoru frustration, but I read somewhere that horses have the right of way on public highways, due to them being the first-ever mode of transport, hence they take precedence over any other mode.

Granted, I'd be well p1$$ed off if they were riding two-abreast - this is illegal for pushbike to do, so why not for nags? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I also remember reading that if you have an accident with a horse, you might not be covered for repairs (something to do with due care etc)..... might be wrong though before all the whingers start!!!!

Just my 2p....

Dan
Old 08 June 2002, 11:56 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Well, they are hung like horses.

Just spook the horses, that'll be funny*.....

*not
Old 08 June 2002, 12:58 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Most of you lot seem to assume you have Gods given precedence over anything else on the road! Having said that, in this day and age the dangers of riding horses on the public road are great but you will need to get very old laws changed if anything is to be done.
Horse riders do not have to be insured, - just like push bike riders! and as for riding two-abreast, this is the recommended method as it makes car drivers either wait for a safe time to overtake on the other side of the road rather than overtaking very close on the same side and possibly spooking the horse. Believe it or not, it's safer for you as well as them!
As for those who cannot understand anyones obsession for horses - 'Hypocrites' How many people understand our obsession for pointlessly fast, noisey, anti-social, tin box ego extensions?
Give and take guys!
JohnD (Whos family consists of two pointlessly fast, tin box ego extensions and smelly, but lovable eating machines - no, not the wife and daughter, the horses! If you think Scoobs are expensive to run you've obviously never owned a horse!)
Old 08 June 2002, 01:36 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

John,

I love horses. They are the most elegant and beautiful animals in the world. I can well understand people's obsession with them. Indeed we all have obsessions that are much more inexplicable. I don't, however, ride them myself.

I live in Upminster and that isn't really the countryside. It is more suburban than countryside. I've seen horses in Upminster and Ockendon in de-restricted zones when people are driving at 60mph around sweeping corners where it is not possible to see them until very late. I've also seen horses on the run up to the A127 in Upminster - a 40mph limit. There are places that they can go that doesn't involve roads that people use a lot and that doesn't involve slowing down quickly. Bridle paths are there for specifically that reason. De-restricted roads are de-restricted for a reason and you should able to expect to drive at 50-60mph without runners, joggers, cyclists or horses getting in the way. I don't think I have any more rights than anyone else, but I do think that the majority of people who drive should be permitted to drive within the required speed limits and not be held up. Horses are slow, and it is a little unreasonable, particularly if it is difficult to pass them, to have to sit behind them. Consideration is required.

I know the law gives horses a right to ride the highways but until a few years ago an archer armed with a longbow could kill a welshman in Chester at 6pm in the evening. An extreme example, but even now the Vagracy Act which dates back to the 1820s is used for all sorts of ****ty little offences. The law is old and needs ot be changed. Horses should not be on public highways in areas where drivers have a right to make swift progress.

Also, I resent them waving their hand at me to slow down - I KNOW THAT THANK YOU. I'm not a fecking moron. I know horses get spooked easily, I don't need them to tell me that. And not a word of thanks afterwards or as I pass. That p****s me off.

Consideration is all that is needed and a lot of horse riders around this area show none. This is not the countryside.

Maz.
Old 08 June 2002, 02:13 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

My wife rides....

put it this way - if you spooked the horse on the road it could do a fair old amount of damage to your car.

Just give them a wide birth and don't rev your engine, beep your horn. slow down - its pertty easy.

would you argue with a lorry ???

Ian

don't grill me - just be careful out there.
Old 08 June 2002, 03:25 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've seen horses in Upminster and Ockendon in de-restricted zones when people are driving at 60mph around sweeping corners where it is not possible to see them until very late.

<snip>

De-restricted roads are de-restricted for a reason and you should able to expect to drive at 50-60mph without runners, joggers, cyclists or horses getting in the way.
To be fair, a de-restricted road is one on which a greater responsibility is placed on the driver to choose a safe and appropriate speed. It's unfortunate that so many roads have speed limits that are so low that little thought ever has to go into deciding whether it's safe or not, but the national speed limit sign beside a road doesn't mean that it's OK to do at least 50-60mph all along its length. Always be sure you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

I agree that horses (and bicycles for that matter) often seem to be ridden on roads where it's technically legal, but stupid, to do so. That said, any sharp corner can conceal a broken down car, a rock or a patch of oil just as easily as it can a horse or bike - so I don't feel that my driving style is actually affected by them in particular. Even a road you know well could have acquired a sizeable chunk of dead wildlife, a massive pothole or become the site of an alien landing since you last drove it

I do think that the majority of people who drive should be permitted to drive within the required speed limits and not be held up. Horses are slow, and it is a little unreasonable, particularly if it is difficult to pass them, to have to sit behind them. Consideration is required.
Agreed, although your last sentence works both ways.

Also, I resent them waving their hand at me to slow down - I KNOW THAT THANK YOU. I'm not a fecking moron. I know horses get spooked easily, I don't need them to tell me that. And not a word of thanks afterwards or as I pass. That p****s me off.
That susprises me - I generally find that horse riders give me a cheery smile and a wave of thanks after I've passed them. I wouldn't like to guess why.

Andy.
Old 08 June 2002, 04:16 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

I remember having a near death experience on my Cagiva Mito 125 thanks to a whole heap of horse **** on a bend.
I hate the bloody things, my sister was obsessed with them and we have had many a heated discussion on who has the most right to be on the road.
It wouldn't be so bad if we were on a level playing field. For example mopeds are not allowed on the motorway because they are so slow. So why are horses allowed on 60mph roads?
If I spill petrol or similar an the roads am I not responsible?
Would I be responsible if I were to spill my van load of horse **** that I was bringing to an agricultural show? hmmm
And to cap it all they don't pay any thing to maintain the roads!

(this message was brought to you by Pedigree Chum)
Old 08 June 2002, 04:47 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

I always slow down for horses...for a good look.Some of the chicks that ride them are well fit
Old 08 June 2002, 05:55 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

"Kill a welshman after 6pm"....... Any old laws allowing us to have a go at the french????

Best place for a horse is next to some good salad and potatoes.
Old 08 June 2002, 09:20 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

If horses were meant to walk on roads they'd have rubber feet

I don't get all this guff about spooking horses, if it can't deal with roads, don't take it on them! If I thought my car was gonna chuck a fit if wagon went past, I wouldn't drive it!

Laws may well be old, it's no reason to not change them though.
Old 08 June 2002, 10:13 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

The French are the only people I have found that have done something useful with horse (meat).
Old 08 June 2002, 11:45 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

The director of "Animal Farm" would beg to differ.
Old 09 June 2002, 12:12 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

And I thought my brother was the only sick guy to have seen that. I'll just stick to faces of death.
Old 09 June 2002, 12:33 AM
tommorules
Scooby Regular

Katana

Think he means the Orwell version (I hope). You must have cable?

[Edited by tommorules - 6/9/2002 12:37:13 AM]

[Edited by tommorules - 6/9/2002 12:53:04 AM]
Old 09 June 2002, 08:27 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Nope, Smug looking bleeders sat on top of a pointless mode of transport.

I have a loud(ish) exhaust and always get dirty looks of horse riders, near where my in laws live they have a riding school, they lead horse across a blind bend and cover it with crap, on three occasions I have seen bikers stood next to dropped bikes because of this, the sooner they get sued the better.

Dont mind horses per se but horsey people seem to be by and large, annoying, some of my family have them and everything revolves round the bloody thing.

My uncle came across a biker who had hit one cos the dozy posh tart on it rode into a fast road and met with a BMW tourer bike, horse was a mess, rider and pillion were worse,

ban them, then eat them, have had horse in France (Thinking it was Beef)

Was v nice !

Old 09 June 2002, 08:37 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Living in rural suffolk, you have to expect to meet horses ona nice sunday morning - I dont have a problem with them being there and using the road.

I do feel quite strongly though that using the road should involve mandatory insurance.

They should also have the sense to ride single file. Some of the roads are narrow enough trying to pass 1 horse let alone 2. - And from some a little courtesy would be welcomed every noa and again.

Deano

Old 09 June 2002, 09:28 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Which one is the Orwell version? The one with Aria Giovanni in it?
Old 10 June 2002, 08:40 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Horses are another form of transport so therefore they use the road - fair enough. But I really do think that riders should be obliged to clean up after their horses. Leaving **** on the roads (especially outside peoples houses) is not pleasant for all the other road users.
Old 10 June 2002, 11:19 AM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

I'm a horse rider and I think we'll all have to agree to differ on this subject. I will just say that some horses ride 2 abreast if they are training a nervous horse (it'll be flanked by an experienced horse). A horse cannot become experienced on the roads without practice and reassurance, much like learner drivers. it's the old chicken and the egg theory!

Also, some people have mentioned the female preoccupation with horses so I'll just mention this saying I saw in a magazine....

"Who needs a man when you can have 16 hands between your legs"

(Sorry if that's too near the knuckle, Mods!!)
Old 10 June 2002, 11:49 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Just another note too.

You may not always get a wave as the rider will not have the same level of control riding one handed that you have driving your car in the same way (with one hand). Most riders I pass do not wave, though I get the occasional nod, it doesn't bother me. To be honest if I'm so busy looking at the rider to make sure the say thanks then I'm not concentrating on the road..........
Old 10 June 2002, 12:06 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

i normally always give way to horses and pass slowly.

However i had a recent altercation with a horse and rider that proves not everybody is as considerate. I was driving round some twisty lanes (under the speeed limit) when i came across a horse and rider stationary on the wrong side of the road (thank god for good brakes). The rider had the cheek to call me a W*nker! (needless to say she got a mouthful in return)

IMHO its a two way street with cars and horses (no pun intended)

Old 10 June 2002, 12:33 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I can't count the number of times I've slammed all on because a bunch of horses (two or more abreast always....WHY??) have suddenly blocked the road completely
Thats because your driving like a ****.
Old 10 June 2002, 04:03 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

It's not a problem coming across a car/rock etc. round a blind bend as you can stop in good time. The problem is with the horse 'cos it'll **** itself and go mad all over the place.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] They should clear up after themselves too, even if it's only putting the dung in the gutter. also, they do seem to choose the most stupid times to ride (which is what the first post was all about).
PS. does it matter if the horse is hunting weasels at the time?
Old 10 June 2002, 11:19 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think antilag is the answer.

Quick Reply: 1HP - I just don't get it... do you?