Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Landlines..? A complete waste of money and unnecessary now?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2015, 01:11 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Landlines..? A complete waste of money and unnecessary now?

I've spent this whole morning looking through my online household "general" bills such as EE mobile, BT and energy/electric.

The one that strikes me most is BT landline charges WTF?! I haven't paid any attention to it up until now because when I first signed up to BT last year in my new build farmhouse they screwed up big time getting the services here so gave me about £200 credit and a couple of other things for free... Anyway, the phone bill for August £38.83! The phone bill for July was £23.02, September 2014 was £65!!! (which came out of the credit BT had given me) ...and they all vary between £15-65... It's a £16.99 phone rental fee just to actually have the line and then whatever phonecalls you make added on top. It's free calls between 7pm-7am and I pay an extra £3 a month for free weekend calls, but the majority of the calls are done during the day and we hardly even use the landline! One call cost me £11 to an 08 number but I get 08 numbers completely free from my mobile! BT only do free 0845 numbers and even then it's got to be between 7pm-7am.

Overall, a complete scam it seems? I pay £40 a month on my EE 4G mobile for unlimited calls to landlines, mobiles and 08 numbers. Another thing to add, the actual BT twin handsets completely suck too. They're so quiet you can hardly hear the person talking even when turned up max and they only ring for about 10 seconds until going to answerphone and you can't change the delay on it.

Needless to say, I'm going to see if I can cancel my landline now. What a rip off. How much do you guys use?

Last edited by LSherratt; 31 August 2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:15 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the same subject but a slightly different aspect, I think landline phones will be a thing of the past in the not to distant future. There are literally 2 people that phone our landline....annoying sales people that we don't want, and my nan, who is still stuck in 1992 and doesn't ever turn her mobile on.m
Old 31 August 2015, 01:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I only have my telephone landline for Internet's sake. I'd love to get rid of mine, if I could just have the Internet connection without having to have the land fekking stupid line.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't had one for 20 years as I'm in a Virgin cabled area, that's a lot of money. In a rural location I'd be looking for a WISP, Wireless Internet Service Provider. Speeds and distances covered are massive now.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd say so; Its also a waste of infrastructure; If the frequency bands in teh phone lines that are used to trunk our voice call was changed to a VOIP style system at the point it enters the property, that extra bandwidth probably could support 100 or more voicecalls, or faster internet connections.

We've had another bug tax bill at work so I've been looking over our accounts to see where we can cut overheads (why its always me doing this, I don't know; I had the same with the gas and electric because nobody could be arsed to check the billed rates ) , Four landlines that's costing £75 a month just on rental alone.

If we could sort out the ADSL so it was fast enough or reliable (which it is neither - 3Megabits on a good day with multiple drop-outs), or better still switch to cable (just had virgin rn a cable into the offices next door ( ). I reckon, by getting fibre internet and getting rid of the three landlines and swapping them to VOIP possible with the right package could save us a £1000 a year; if so; that'll cover the costs of the new switchboard (ours is fecked anyway...I've made clearer calls to Australia).

JACK; we use WISP in Spain (well, PTMP ); best thing since sliced bread, highly recommended if there is a decent provider in the area and have good line of sight to the mast.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 August 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:36 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Looks like I need my landline to gain access to my whopping 1GB broadband speed. Researching wireless providers now.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:55 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I have the same argument with BT every year. I don't need or want a landline but I have to get ripped off so I can have internet access.

Just found this and will definitely be making more enquiries.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list/...t_Wireless.php
Old 31 August 2015, 01:59 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I don't know if I'm looking at the right thing but satellite broadband is very expensive abliet it will provide me with 20mbs.... But £80 a month and a £250 to buy a dish and setup fee is steep. Plus it's not unlimited internet either. Yawn.
Old 31 August 2015, 02:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

No its not satellite. That uses a dish.

WISP is basically a very large/long distance wifi hotspot, it typically uses the same technology as your home wifi, but instead you have a directional Wifi aerial on the roof like this (this is the model we have:http://www.msdist.co.uk/product_Mikr...NT-G-5HPND.php) its about the size of a medium Pizza, which points to a mast in area thats in range. Usually a telecoms mast for mobile phones, or a TV/radio transmitter; ours is about 5Km away by the looks of it on google maps - the aerial on the mast usually looks the same too, but not always.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 August 2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 31 August 2015, 02:10 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Virgin cable where I live for tv, superfast internet & wifi and a decent price. Strangely it costs less to have the Virgin landline than not to have it, so it's there but never used.
Old 31 August 2015, 02:11 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd say so; Its also a waste of infrastructure; If the frequency bands in teh phone lines that are used to trunk our voice call was changed to a VOIP style system at the point it enters the property, that extra bandwidth probably could support 100 or more voicecalls, or faster internet connections.

BT Openreach have been trialing tech called G-Fast which is fibreto the distribution point on the pole and then a copper cable to the building. They have achieved brilliant speeds apparently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fa...t_standard.svg

Last edited by Ooperbum; 31 August 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 31 August 2015, 02:12 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

We are very rural and rely on mobiles and wireless broadband. The neighbours link in to a Wildcard wireless mast and get superb speeds:

http://www.wildcardinternet.co.uk/#services
Old 31 August 2015, 02:50 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I've only found one wireless provider in Gloucester who looks like they will be able to cover my area; http://www.loopscorpio.net/index.php

£30 for 250GB per month with a 6-12mbs download speed and £50 one off installation cost. Will give them a ring tomorrow!
Old 31 August 2015, 03:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Do it. Dump BT.
Old 31 August 2015, 03:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Over in France all my calls are via internet, ALL free to anywhere in the world landline any time any day and NO line rental.

We are being ripped off here again.
Old 31 August 2015, 05:50 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I can answer this in one word:

Yes.
Old 31 August 2015, 07:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The only thing that keeps me on a landline is the few usually important things that require a landline for registration/signing up to. Sods law depicts that I can't even remember those off my head now
Old 31 August 2015, 09:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Get a VOIP phone for peanuts.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:51 PM
ericooper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ooperbum
BT Openreach have been trialing tech called G-Fast which is fibreto the distribution point on the pole and then a copper cable to the building. They have achieved brilliant speeds apparently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fa...t_standard.svg
G.Fast is going to be capable of silly speeds apparently but its a good way off, 5 years for even big cities due to the on going fibre to the cab work
Old 31 August 2015, 10:43 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ericooper
G.Fast is going to be capable of silly speeds apparently but its a good way off, 5 years for even big cities due to the on going fibre to the cab work

BT are mainly going to be using g.fast to avoid the crosstalk problems they are increasingly getting. I suffer from it, when I first started I got 34Mb, I'm down to 24Mb now because of crosstalk. They see it as a way to get everyone up to the 80mb range, rather than as a way to increase the top speed. Other developments are as mention, fibre to small dps on top of posts nearer the consumer
Old 01 September 2015, 08:46 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Older customers just don't like calling mobile numbers
Old 01 September 2015, 08:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Older customers just don't like calling mobile numbers
I can get you a phone number for any dialling code that transfers to your mobile. I'll do it for a pound cheaper than your line rental, other places may offer significantly better deals.
Old 01 September 2015, 09:29 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Iv got a mate who has the virgin cable, he lives middle of town cos that's only place you can get it, and he spends way more than me watching 10x as much crap with frequent outages
Old 01 September 2015, 09:31 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

That's a shame, I've been with NTL/Virgin for coming on for 20 years and don't recall an outage in that time, couple of reboots maybe.

My 50mb internet is £20 a month with no line rental. Might see if I can drop down for less money as I don't need that capacity.
Old 01 September 2015, 06:14 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

Originally Posted by ericooper
Depends where you are. Here in Wales they are deploying it end of 2015/2016 to properties that couldn't get FTTC. Here they are dumping FTTP as G. Fast is less expensive and you get greater speeds.
Originally Posted by warrenm2
BT are mainly going to be using g.fast to avoid the crosstalk problems they are increasingly getting. I suffer from it, when I first started I got 34Mb, I'm down to 24Mb now because of crosstalk. They see it as a way to get everyone up to the 80mb range, rather than as a way to increase the top speed. Other developments are as mention, fibre to small dps on top of posts nearer the consumer
They have made trials with G.Fast in Swansea and they achieved a combined speeds of 1Gig. When I say combined it's both Download/Upload

Last edited by Ooperbum; 01 September 2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01 September 2015, 06:23 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

This is what I don't get. BT and every other national service provider keep on and on and on focusing on the towns and cities but continue to completely ignore the countryside. When will the majority of the countryside get 40mbs minimum? I guess in a few more years and by then the cities and larger towns will be on 500mbs-1gig speeds? It's completely stupid IMO. There isn't even any need for that sort of speed. Sort out the rest of the country first! It's one of few things that really bugs me as most of us out here are on 1-2mbs maximum. My mobile phone 3G network out in the fields is faster than my home connection for christs sake.

Last edited by LSherratt; 01 September 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01 September 2015, 06:34 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

Originally Posted by LSherratt
This is what I don't get. BT and every other national service provider keep on and on and on focusing on the towns and cities but continue to completely ignore the countryside. When will the majority of the countryside get 40mbs minimum? I guess in a few more years and by then the cities and larger towns will be on 500mbs-1gig speeds? It's completely stupid IMO. There isn't even any need for that sort of speed. Sort out the rest of the country first! It's one of few things that really bugs me as most of us out here are on 1-2mbs maximum. My mobile phone 3G network out in the fields is faster than my home connection for christs sake.
Here in Wales It's the farms and people in the sticks that's getting G.Fast first. But saying that, the Welsh Assembly has pumped millions to the ''Super Fast Broadband'' so I guess Openreach have to cater for all.
Old 01 September 2015, 10:14 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've spent this whole morning looking through my online household "general" bills such as EE mobile, BT and energy/electric.

The one that strikes me most is BT landline charges WTF?! I haven't paid any attention to it up until now because when I first signed up to BT last year in my new build farmhouse they screwed up big time getting the services here so gave me about £200 credit and a couple of other things for free... Anyway, the phone bill for August £38.83! The phone bill for July was £23.02, September 2014 was £65!!! (which came out of the credit BT had given me) ...and they all vary between £15-65... It's a £16.99 phone rental fee just to actually have the line and then whatever phonecalls you make added on top. It's free calls between 7pm-7am and I pay an extra £3 a month for free weekend calls, but the majority of the calls are done during the day and we hardly even use the landline! One call cost me £11 to an 08 number but I get 08 numbers completely free from my mobile! BT only do free 0845 numbers and even then it's got to be between 7pm-7am.

Overall, a complete scam it seems? I pay £40 a month on my EE 4G mobile for unlimited calls to landlines, mobiles and 08 numbers. Another thing to add, the actual BT twin handsets completely suck too. They're so quiet you can hardly hear the person talking even when turned up max and they only ring for about 10 seconds until going to answerphone and you can't change the delay on it.

Needless to say, I'm going to see if I can cancel my landline now. What a rip off. How much do you guys use?

I thought it was a human right to have a landline?

Here is a good idea, cancel BT and stop whingeing.
Old 02 September 2015, 07:21 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

rubbish mobile signal at our house so need a land line.

my tesco mobile. is only £10.21 a month.. unlimited data, unlimited text and 500mins calls. sim only
then buy a £100 phone when the battery starts acting up.

I too looked at my BT bill last week, £35pm (infinity broadband, free any time call package, ex directory, caller ID)+ the land line charge i paid upfront last year £15
so £50

And thats not including any TV

I rang them and got put through to retentions, where for another £8 a month, they've now given me. Unlimited inifinty BB and now I'e got the Ultra HD tv package, with all their BT Sports in HD, AMC in HD and a BT Sport in 4k HD

just waiting for the Ultra HD tv box to arrive today
Old 02 September 2015, 11:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I can't see it being reliable enough yet to go pure WiFi , even in town

Quick Reply: Landlines..? A complete waste of money and unnecessary now?