Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a conservatory roof conversion

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2015, 09:07 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had a conservatory roof conversion

As above thinking of replacing polycarbonate roof with a guardian roof.i can't find any real reviews.
Has anyone done this or know of anyone who can verify if it's worth doing.usual story too hot in summer .freezing in winter.

There appear to be two methods.by 2 different company's.one is to replace roof .cost £11000.the other method is keep roof and insulate inside with tiled outer layer £5000.both methods use same light weight outer tiles.

The cheaper method seems too good to be true.but seems to be popular up here in Scotland.
Old 16 August 2015, 08:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I looked into this briefly and quickly concluded that I'd be better off knocking the whole lot down and building a proper extension. Temperature stability is far far better; would be even better had the underfloor heating been specced and calculated properly (in my case an illiterate plumber with the memory of a goldfish relying on some lad using flakey software at the plumbers merchants).

Depends on what you can afford really, anything that insulates that roof will be an improvement; just need to ensure the sides and tie bars can take the extra weight.
Old 16 August 2015, 10:44 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Why cant you just get a joiner to put a proper roof onto the conservatory windows. I cant see it costing too much for a tiled roof.
Old 16 August 2015, 11:12 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevebt
Why cant you just get a joiner to put a proper roof onto the conservatory windows. I cant see it costing too much for a tiled roof.

Good idea in theory but how would you secure the roof structure and to what? The weight would also be a problem on most plastic conservatories.
Old 16 August 2015, 01:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

its a roof to windows as would be done on any type of build like that and a 4x2 could be fired down onto the windows to carry the timber for the shaped roof.
Old 16 August 2015, 01:52 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

its a roof to windows as would be done on any type of build like that and a 4x2 could be fired down onto the windows to carry the timber for the shaped roof.

A pitched roof normally attaches to a wooden wall plate fixed on top of internal blockwork, or on brickwork on a single skin build, but never on windows! As for 'firing' 4x2 onto plastic, how is that done?
Old 16 August 2015, 07:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I have seen this done but not in the manner Im saying. If weight is an issue get a steel plate made to fit ontop of the windows then do as I sa8d originally. Roofs and 4x2 are constantly fixed to windows.
Old 16 August 2015, 08:15 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

These are pretty **** really I've only seen one and wasn't impressed

Easier to just rebuild conservatory properly
Old 16 August 2015, 08:42 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

I have seen this done but not in the manner Im saying. If weight is an issue get a steel plate made to fit ontop of the windows then do as I sa8d originally. Roofs and 4x2 are constantly fixed to windows.
Really? I hope you're not a builder!
Old 16 August 2015, 10:14 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

One thing to consider is PP. If you start blocking transparent surfaces out from a conservatory, it ceases being a conservatory and will potentially fall under PP.
Old 16 August 2015, 10:17 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

^^ very true ! Tho depends on your area / house still might be classed as permitted develop

Can get some massive extensions under that
Old 16 August 2015, 11:02 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

just knocked down my conservatory that had a poly roof, rebuilt in block, big double glazed windows, french doors, velux in the tiled pitched roof, all much better insulated

local builder did it for me, plastered inside, rendered outside and i did the wiring and decorating

cost me less than 4k easy
Old 16 August 2015, 11:36 PM
Y27JLC
Scooby Regular

I've just had a guardian roof done on mine. Fair size conservatory about 4 x 5 metres. Cost 5500 quid and well worth it. The guardian one is a whole new roof and when i looked into it they get your measurements and build the roof in their factory then ship it out . Whole new roof and a vaulted ceiling with 6 spot lights. You dont need PP for it either. Its essentially an alu frame with tin tiles and roughly 180mm of insulation boards. A hell of a lot cooler but obviously i cant comment about warmth in winter yet!
Old 17 August 2015, 01:01 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Y27JLC
I've just had a guardian roof done on mine. Fair size conservatory about 4 x 5 metres. Cost 5500 quid and well worth it. The guardian one is a whole new roof and when i looked into it they get your measurements and build the roof in their factory then ship it out . Whole new roof and a vaulted ceiling with 6 spot lights. You dont need PP for it either. Its essentially an alu frame with tin tiles and roughly 180mm of insulation boards. A hell of a lot cooler but obviously i cant comment about warmth in winter yet!
Surely it would have been cheaper to rebuild?
Old 17 August 2015, 01:17 PM
Y27JLC
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt know. I didnt want to rebuild.
Old 17 August 2015, 01:42 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
just knocked down my conservatory that had a poly roof, rebuilt in block, big double glazed windows, french doors, velux in the tiled pitched roof, all much better insulated

local builder did it for me, plastered inside, rendered outside and i did the wiring and decorating

cost me less than 4k easy

This must be the sensible and least expensive option. When I built mine I ensured the footings and oversite would be suitable for a full height extension should the need arise. It meant having each stage approved by a building inspector but well worth it. The conservatory was then dropped onto the block and brick dwarf wall. This will serve as a base for an extension at some stage.
Old 17 August 2015, 08:00 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys

A builder is coming to quote on a proper sunroom.need to check foundations have been done to correct level first.guys you are correct a solid roof means it now needs building warrant as its now an extension and subject to building regs.
Old 17 August 2015, 11:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

In terms of reusing existing footings, the buildings inspector will most likely want a test hole dug to see how deep/sound they are. Luckily in my case they were
Old 18 August 2015, 05:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subevo
Cheers for the replys

A builder is coming to quote on a proper sunroom.need to check foundations have been done to correct level first.guys you are correct a solid roof means it now needs building warrant as its now an extension and subject to building regs.

A conservatory still needs buildings regs just not planning permission.
Old 18 August 2015, 06:36 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

A conservatory still needs buildings regs just not planning permission.

That's right. There are building regulations that have to be followed when building a conservatory but no consultation with the authorities is required.
Old 19 August 2015, 06:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yes, PP is a hurdle, but It shouldn't be a major issue if the extension is on the same foot print, especially if the existing conservatory has been there for a significant amount of time; 25 years in my case.

Building regs isn't much of a issue so long as the builder knows what he's doing.