Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Right up my backside

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2015, 09:18 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Right up my backside

Driving back from Birmingham and hit traffic on the M6, decided to come off at J16 and head down the A500 .. Hit traffic again

Stopped, car behind stopped, Freelander behind her however didn't stop, in fact I don't know if he even braked.. Kaboom she was crushed into me and me into the guy in front, felt like I'd been punch in the back.

Luckily the guy in front was driving a golf, which was basically a tank, it caved in the front of my car, but didn't damage his. He got out and took control, after asking if I was ok (and where we were) he sorted the police and ambulance. Poor lady behind had to be pulled through the back window to get out and was taken away on a spine board (probably not a good idea her getting out) but the car was a mess and smoking.

Police were good, insurance have been spot on, fully the landies fault, although the guy wasn't very friendly on site, I'd have been a mess, more so than I was. He was stone faced, basically "oh well".

So, the kicker, my car was due in as apart ex on a new one the next day ..

Looks like it;s a total, so I'll get more than the part ex value if it works out.

Be careful out there.
Old 09 July 2015, 09:28 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey, Glad to hear all are ok.

I am convinved the driving on the roads is getting worse by the week.....

Some people just dont seem to be aware of whats going on around them
Old 09 July 2015, 09:52 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

bummer. time maybe an issue though mate, payout will take a while so if you needed it for the deposite you may have an issue
Old 09 July 2015, 01:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow

It is. My old driving instructor (we look after his car) was recently involved in a head on collision (not his fault).

Luckily the factory next to where the collisionhappned had CCTV overlooking the road. I've seen the footage and basically there is a slight bend, the oncomming car basically didn't turn. Not speeding, he just went straight. Everyone who has seen it has had the same response "****ing hell!"

http://www.dudleynews.co.uk/news/129...two_car_smash/

In other words, he was looking at something else...likely his phone reading a text and just didn't see the bend, or the oncomming car.

He was doing a lesson at the time...woman was on her first day out on the road and had to be cut free of the wreckage

Last week I fitted a Blackvue to his new car

The amount of weaving cars I see on the motorway is getting more and more...I get past, look through teh side window to find the driver's head bowed looking down at a phone Needs to be a instant 12month ban IMO.
Old 09 July 2015, 05:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the time is coming when anyone without an in-vehicle camera is mad not to have one. Prices are sub £100 too.

I'd rather have one than a Satnav.
Old 09 July 2015, 05:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

K1S covers front and back at same time.

Got my car covered, going to get the g/f's new car done too I think.
Old 09 July 2015, 05:47 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Had a VW tiguan smash into the back of my Lorry a couple of weeks ago on the M42, I was stationary for a few seconds before the impact, his car was a write off, and only bent the bar and broke the rear light clusters on the lorry, He admitted that he wasn't paying attention and before he knew it my lorry had stopped him going any further.
Old 09 July 2015, 07:35 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you expect when some don't even know if you travel 70mph how long will it take to travel 70 miles 😕
Old 09 July 2015, 07:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
bummer. time maybe an issue though mate, payout will take a while so if you needed it for the deposite you may have an issue

I'm in an E class hire car, something tells me they will pay up quickly
Old 09 July 2015, 07:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
I think the time is coming when anyone without an in-vehicle camera is mad not to have one. Prices are sub £100 too.

I'd rather have one than a Satnav.

The only thing that stops me is smash and grabs (its the big thing round here; mainly for sat navs).

The majority of in car cameras, Blackvue included are deisgned for DIY install.. *** lighter power, wires visbile, and a huge camaera/unit glued to the windsceen screaming out steal me and put me on ebay.

I'd rather have a covert camera or a small camera, like thw Blackvue's rear camera, and have the main recording unit hidden out of sight be it in the glove box or similar.

The current range of stuff has the main unit on the dash/windscreen. Its just a invitation for a smashed window IMO whenever the car is parked .
Old 09 July 2015, 08:31 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow

This is very true but i think theres also an element of "not giving a damn" and thinking they own the road.
Old 09 July 2015, 11:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It is. My old driving instructor (we look after his car) was recently involved in a head on collision (not his fault).

Luckily the factory next to where the collisionhappned had CCTV overlooking the road. I've seen the footage and basically there is a slight bend, the oncomming car basically didn't turn. Not speeding, he just went straight. Everyone who has seen it has had the same response "****ing hell!"

http://www.dudleynews.co.uk/news/129...two_car_smash/

In other words, he was looking at something else...likely his phone reading a text and just didn't see the bend, or the oncomming car.

He was doing a lesson at the time...woman was on her first day out on the road and had to be cut free of the wreckage

Last week I fitted a Blackvue to his new car

The amount of weaving cars I see on the motorway is getting more and more...I get past, look through teh side window to find the driver's head bowed looking down at a phone Needs to be a instant 12month ban IMO.
How much is it to supply and fit one of these?
Old 09 July 2015, 11:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Don't know. Customer supplied it, I just fitted it, took about an hour's labour at the most (if you include me playing about and searching for a switched live power supply).

As it had a rear view camera which had to be wired though to the tailgate and and a dedicated separate power supply that started it recording as soon as the car was unlocked, then switches it off when the car is locked. Hence the hour, if you just plug it into the *** lighter and not bother with the rear view camera the install time could be shaved down to less than 30 minutes (depending on how tidy you want the wires).

In that particular application the cigar lighter was permanent live even with the car locked up. That maybe advantageous in a car park, but when I checked, I measured the current draw of the Blackvue at about 450 milliamps, which would flatten the average car battery in roughly five days, so its not really suitable for 24/7 recording unless the car is used daily and not for short journeys.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 July 2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10 July 2015, 11:02 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The only thing that stops me is smash and grabs (its the big thing round here; mainly for sat navs).

The majority of in car cameras, Blackvue included are deisgned for DIY install.. *** lighter power, wires visbile, and a huge camaera/unit glued to the windsceen screaming out steal me and put me on ebay.

I'd rather have a covert camera or a small camera, like thw Blackvue's rear camera, and have the main recording unit hidden out of sight be it in the glove box or similar.

The current range of stuff has the main unit on the dash/windscreen. Its just a invitation for a smashed window IMO whenever the car is parked .
K1S has 2 small cue chalk sized cams and a remote control unit housing the screen, controls and SD card. The control unit can either be dashboard mounted via a quick release clip or hidden away.

My rear cam is behind privacy glass, the front sits in front of the r/v mirror and can only be noticed if looking hard for it, whilst the control unit is in the glove box. All the wiring is hidden and lets be honest, once the device is set, we're never going to bother looking at the control unit. However, if you do want to see the cam views, mine is connected up to the SatNav screen and defaulted to the rear to act as either a reversing camera or a trailer camera.