Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to traumatise your children!

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2015, 02:18 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to traumatise your children!

The day my dog was cooked for dinner

What a lovely nation
Old 29 June 2015, 06:58 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it's subjective, if you eat meat then you end meat ..

Plenty of stories of farm children bonding with live stock only to see them killed at the hands of their parents.

We're a ****ed up race.
Old 29 June 2015, 07:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Meanwhile in the uk we are euthanising thousands of unwanted/unhomeable dogs due to the chav scum who keep buying and breeding them.

Different culture, same old cruelty.
Old 29 June 2015, 07:57 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, we're the hypocritical ones.
Old 29 June 2015, 08:05 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Indeed, we're the hypocritical ones.
There is something hilariously funny with a touch of irony in this thread and in your user name
Old 29 June 2015, 08:15 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Meanwhile in the uk we are euthanising thousands of unwanted/unhomeable dogs due to the chav scum who keep buying and breeding them.

Different culture, same old cruelty.
THIS!!!!.SJ.
Old 29 June 2015, 09:45 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Which bit are we complaining about? That they are eating dog or the way in which the dogs are treated?

Can't really call them for eating dog, just because it's cute and friendly, So is a lamb.

I do think it's a shame the way they are treated. Does seem rather tight.
Old 29 June 2015, 09:51 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I guess it's subjective, if you eat meat then you end meat ..

Plenty of stories of farm children bonding with live stock only to see them killed at the hands of their parents.

We're a ****ed up race.
This. ^

All nations' races and cultures have their faults. Nowhere is perfect. If the faults is all what we look at, and build our opinions on, then we are stereotyping and quite blatantly, race prejudiced.

I can't see why we can't look at the positive and progressive side of the nation i.e. so many Chinese campaigners trying to stop it as well e.g. the BBC journalist/campaigner who highlights this cruelty by writing that article, and other Chinese folk that are posing with their lovely dogs in the same article. To those compassionate guys and girls: well done, and good luck with your campaign to stop this cruelty.
Old 29 June 2015, 10:25 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, it is a tad hypocritical, differentiation between the animal from a cultural perspective is neither here nor there, meat is meat, at the end of the day an animal died to provide it.

One could suggest that it's cruel to eat vegetables as they are also living things, just yesterday I was digging up potatoes, onions, beetroot, carrots and garlic, I'm sure they would have preferred to stay in the ground and complete their life cycle.

It's a strange world we live in, everything is intertwined and everything feeds off something that was once living, even if you eat dirt there are micro organisms alive inside of it, much the same as the air we breath and water we drink, there's no getting away from it, Take solace in the fact that when you die , you'll become part of the food chain and give back what you took out during life.
Old 29 June 2015, 10:47 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What a lovely nation
Originally Posted by Turbohot
This. ^

All nations' races and cultures have their faults. Nowhere is perfect. If the faults is all what we look at, and build our opinions on, then we are stereotyping and quite blatantly, race prejudiced.

I can't see why we can't look at the positive and progressive side of the nation i.e. so many Chinese campaigners trying to stop it as well e.g. the BBC journalist/campaigner who highlights this cruelty by writing that article, and other Chinese folk that are posing with their lovely dogs in the same article. To those compassionate guys and girls: well done, and good luck with your campaign to stop this cruelty.
This!!
Old 29 June 2015, 10:51 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
This!!
Yes, exactly.

There's plenty of good to look for, in almost everything; if we really want to. Or we will be picking holes all our lives in anything we get obsessed with; in a negative way.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:00 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Yes, exactly.

There's plenty of good to look for, in almost everything; if we really want to. Or we will be picking holes all our lives in anything we get obsessed with; in a negative way.
I fully agree with you, but some people just can't help themselves and will always be picking holes and generally have a negative outlook.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:02 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
There is something hilariously funny with a touch of irony in this thread and in your user name
Hehe, though I don't have pets
Old 29 June 2015, 11:04 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yep, it is a tad hypocritical, differentiation between the animal from a cultural perspective is neither here nor there, meat is meat, at the end of the day an animal died to provide it.

One could suggest that it's cruel to eat vegetables as they are also living things, just yesterday I was digging up potatoes, onions, beetroot, carrots and garlic, I'm sure they would have preferred to stay in the ground and complete their life cycle.

It's a strange world we live in, everything is intertwined and everything feeds off something that was once living, even if you eat dirt there are micro organisms alive inside of it, much the same as the air we breath and water we drink, there's no getting away from it, Take solace in the fact that when you die , you'll become part of the food chain and give back what you took out during life.
Humans, particularly westerners, have a relationship with the dog that has evolved in a unique way so that people benefit tremendously from dogs that guide, guard, assist people with disabilities, help catch criminals and sniff out harmful substances. They also provide companionship and to many are part of the family. The idea that this is equivalent too or comparable with our relationship with a chicken or a fish is absurd. We do not have guide cods for the blind or sniffer *****.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:05 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I fully agree with you, but some people just can't help themselves and will always be picking holes and generally have a negative outlook.
Well, such people need to change their attitude or they will remain bitter and unhappy forever. May be being bitter/unhappy makes them tick, and so be it. Not my style. Does my head in.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:08 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Guide Cods.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:26 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I read the article this morning before seeing it here and thought how terrible for her as a child. However I also could see the situation from her parents point of view in that the big point was that having the dog was not legal and could have got them in trouble with the authorities for being a public health risk as there was no access to vets or any sort of medication for keeping pets in good health - you only have to think fleas and worm treatments as well as annual vaccinations we take for granted with our dogs in the West.

Who would fancy being in trouble with the authorities in China knowing their history on lack of human rights? I wouldn't fancy it. So where meat is hard to come by/too expensive do they release the dog on the streets risking it being traced back to them or do they protect themselves by killing it and eating it?

What I object to with the dog meat fayre in China is not so much they eat dogs but the conditions in which the dogs are kept in and the methods by which they are obtained and slaughtered. Take cruelty out of the equation along with stealing family pets and then there is much less of an argument against it.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:36 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Humans, particularly westerners, have a relationship with the dog that has evolved in a unique way so that people benefit tremendously from dogs that guide, guard, assist people with disabilities, help catch criminals and sniff out harmful substances. They also provide companionship and to many are part of the family. The idea that this is equivalent too or comparable with our relationship with a chicken or a fish is absurd. We do not have guide cods for the blind or sniffer *****.
Well if you are looking at using animals as a function in assisting humans, then you have a point. But people do keep fish and chicken as pets as well as other farm yard type animals and many other types of other creatures all over the world. At the same time many westerners who have travelled to those far flung places have chosen to eat those animals that westerners hold so dear just for the experience.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify I was making the point not about the fact that dogs are eaten, but that someone would allow their child a pet,then kill it and hang it up by its back legs in full view of said child before serving it up for dinner.

The West is a cesspit of hypocrisy for sure, but I doubt many Western farmers allow their kid to bond with a calf and then slaughter it and hang it up outside their bedroom before they cook it up for evening meal

Let's not even get on to what these scum do with tigers and bears
Old 29 June 2015, 11:48 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Well if you are looking at using animals as a function in assisting humans, then you have a point. But people do keep fish and chicken as pets as well as other farm yard type animals and many other types of other creatures all over the world. At the same time many westerners who have travelled to those far flung places have chosen to eat those animals that westerners hold so dear just for the experience.

Indeed. Many years back whilst visiting Canada I enjoyed eating beaver.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

This. ^

Because the positive and progressive side of the nation is all we are supposed to see. The flagrant disregard for human and animal rights that occurs on a daily basis in China is deliberately obfuscated by the Chinese authorities and the Western media/governments so we can keep doing business with them!

HTH
Old 29 June 2015, 11:51 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Nobody plays fetch with a guppy or commands a broiler to sit.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:57 AM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

It's just sick to eat a dog.
Especially feeding it to your kids.

Last edited by silver-sub; 29 June 2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 29 June 2015, 12:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Because the positive and progressive side of the nation is all we are supposed to see. The flagrant disregard for human and animal rights that occurs on a daily basis in China is deliberately obfuscated by the Chinese authorities and the Western media/governments so we can keep doing business with them!

HTH
Untrue.

There's plenty on the media to highlight such cruelty in that nation. The article you posted itself is an evidence of that. There are millions of YouTube vids floating about on the internet, on this sort of thing in China.

Fixation with defaming China/Chinese race by highlighting its negatives here on this forum is not any different to some people defaming Islamic countries/Muslims repeatedly here. Stereotyping in its worst.

HTH.
Old 29 June 2015, 12:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I used to keep carp in my fish pond and would have gladly fed my neighbours cat to my dogs for dinner after it killed them all for fun, because it sure wasn't hungry judging by how fat and pampered it was.

Friend of mine recently killed his pet pot bellied pig, was like one of the family and had a name too, didn't stop him from turning it in to sausages and prosciutto though, some people use pigs to hunt truffles too, yet I doubt any of that would stop you eating a bacon sandwich if you were hungry.
Old 29 June 2015, 12:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Untrue.

There's plenty on the media to highlight such cruelty in that nation. The article you posted itself is an evidence of that. There are millions of YouTube vids floating about on the internet, on this sort of thing in China.

Fixation with defaming China/Chinese race by highlighting its negatives here on this forum is not any different to some people defaming Islamic countries/Muslims repeatedly here. Stereotyping in its worst.

HTH.
Quite and even quotes from a publicly owned media organisation! I'd save your breath, if he see all China/Chinese as scum, then so be it, neither your nor I or anyone for that matter will change that.
Old 29 June 2015, 12:20 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine recently killed his pet pot bellied pig, was like one of the family and had a name too, didn't stop him from turning it in to sausages and prosciutto though, some people use pigs to hunt truffles too, yet I doubt any of that would stop you eating a bacon sandwich if you were hungry.
Yes and Jamie Oliver did the same in front of his kids and all for TV entertainment no that long ago.
Old 29 June 2015, 12:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I used to keep carp in my fish pond and would have gladly fed my neighbours cat to my dogs for dinner after it killed them all for fun, because it sure wasn't hungry judging by how fat and pampered it was.
Sorry about your carp, but I'm unsure how this is relevant.

Yes, the pig example is a good one. My ex (a life-long vegetarian) used to keep pigs. Intelligent creatures. I've seen them led to slaughter and they appear to be anticipating their impending destruction. Nonetheless, the vast majority of westerners do not keep pigs as pets or workers. Pigs are not ingrained in our subconscious in the same way dogs are, although the film Babe went some way towards restoring the balance. There's a reason telly has not commissioned a programme called One man and his pot bellied pig.

If you had to kill either an earthworm or an orca whale, what would you choose and why?

Last edited by JTaylor; 29 June 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 29 June 2015, 01:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Untrue.

HTH.
I'm not stereotyping anyone. I am saying China as a nation has a crap human rights and animal rights record which is a fact and we all conveniently ignore it just as you are doing here which is also a fact. Nowhere am I saying every Chinese person thinks and behaves like that so your accusations are unfounded!
Old 29 June 2015, 01:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33306846

Rather than eating them, you could always give your pet a job?

Quick Reply: How to traumatise your children!