Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is it about cats vision.

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2015, 09:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is it about cats vision.

There's loads of cats out where I live and almost every house has 1 or more due to mice and snakes as well as none of them being neutered so breeding goes relatively unchecked.

So there's some background info to put my question into perspective.

What I want to know from you cat lovers is, what it is about cats that makes them wait at the side of the road until the very last nano second and then dart across in front of the car, as I quite regularly almost run them over, mostly at night but it happens in the daytime too.

Is it something to do with their vision.
Old 03 May 2015, 09:17 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're vision close up is a actually poor IIRC, they're far away vision is seemingly quite good.
Old 03 May 2015, 09:19 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

could be the noise
Old 03 May 2015, 10:19 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Perhaps they're gambling amongst themselves, so far they've all won. Maybe you need to run one over and see if they lose their bottle.
Old 03 May 2015, 10:30 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Perhaps they're gambling amongst themselves, so far they've all won. Maybe you need to run one over and see if they lose their bottle.

I thought I was about to last night but it somehow managed to go under the car and not get caught by the wheels, I was only doing maybe 10mph as it's a spot that's 3m wide between 2 houses where they seem to congregate.
Old 03 May 2015, 10:38 AM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live that you have problems with snakes? lol
Old 03 May 2015, 10:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 stu
Where do you live that you have problems with snakes? lol
London and they all vote Tory!

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2015, 11:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Rural Croatia, the snakes come around to feed on the mice etc, one in particular is pretty nasty if you get bitten (Nose Horned Viper) I have had a couple of close calls whilst out picking wild asparagus.

I won't have a cat because they upset the balance of nature here IMO and I don't need one as I have Western whip snakes which are much more efficient at getting to where the mice live and also eat the Nose Horned vipers, I also don't like flies and mosquitos but the frogs, birds, bats and lizards take care of them, if I had a cat it would kill everything that moves on the ground and leave me with all manner of flying insects and Nose horned Vipers like most of my neighbours.
Old 03 May 2015, 11:05 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

We get the Western Whip snakes in France too..........biggest b*gger I ever saw was over two metres and about 4" thick in the middle.

Dunno which of us moved fastest when we saw each other.......
Old 03 May 2015, 12:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Never mind cat's vision, I think they make me think that I have 20/20 vision!

We have loads of cats in our village and nearby town and other villages. Welsh and English peeps who live here absolutely love cats and dogs! So whenever I'm driving around and inside those places at night, I'm able to spot a cat from quite a distance, and their amazing eyes reflect light so well!

I remember some rockers from the rock club wearing lenses like cat's eyes. Quite cool on cats, freaky on humans.

In Cat Diaries TV programme, it was said that a cat has 6 times more powerful vision than that of a human.
Old 03 May 2015, 01:22 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
We get the Western Whip snakes in France too..........biggest b*gger I ever saw was over two metres and about 4" thick in the middle.

Dunno which of us moved fastest when we saw each other.......
I've got a big one out here that used to live under my stairs until I knocked them down, about 2m long was fun on the few occasions we met at the bottom and scared the living **** out of each other, he's round the back of my garage these days, even ***** the dog up some times. they're one of the fastest moving snakes and they don't half shift, good thing they are shy, but apparently you can train them to stay in one place with milk, then they don't peg it when they see you as they become use to you.
Old 03 May 2015, 01:24 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Never mind cat's vision, I think they make me think that I have 20/20 vision!

We have loads of cats in our village and nearby town and other villages. Welsh and English peeps who live here absolutely love cats and dogs! So whenever I'm driving around and inside those places at night, I'm able to spot a cat from quite a distance, and their amazing eyes reflect light so well!

I remember some rockers from the rock club wearing lenses like cat's eyes. Quite cool on cats, freaky on humans.

In Cat Diaries TV programme, it was said that a cat has 6 times more powerful vision than that of a human.
Seen those contact lenses and they are very freaky.

So it's nothing to do with bad eyesight then.
Old 03 May 2015, 01:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Seen those contact lenses and they are very freaky.

So it's nothing to do with bad eyesight then.
I know! A few rockers friends of mine wore them, but one in particular, who wasn't a friend but just a regular, had this whole mysterious image thing going. He wore one glass eye and one cat's eye. Obviously black clothes under his black cloak. He had long salt n' peppa hair touching his bum. He wasn't very tall, and walked with a limp, and with the support of a walking stick in his left hand. He NEVER smiled. He just stood at one spot and stared at you if you were dancing or whatever. Very creepy yet theatrical, as it gave me some ideas for my theatre show.
Old 03 May 2015, 10:41 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I won't have a cat because they upset the balance of nature here IMO and I don't need one as I have Western whip snakes which are much more efficient at getting to where the mice live and also eat the Nose Horned vipers, I also don't like flies and mosquitos but the frogs, birds, bats and lizards take care of them, if I had a cat it would kill everything that moves on the ground and leave me with all manner of flying insects and Nose horned Vipers like most of my neighbours.

I thought I was about to last night but it somehow managed to go under the car and not get caught by the wheels, I was only doing maybe 10mph as it's a spot that's 3m wide between 2 houses where they seem to congregate.
Try going faster. That should stop the buggers upsetting the balance of nature
Old 04 May 2015, 12:09 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Cats are lovely. They are great friends to humans. They should be respected, cuddled and cared for.

Yes, they sit in the middle of the road like some daft fluffy binters sometimes, but you can always beep, and they run off. That's all you need to do.
Old 04 May 2015, 12:22 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
They're vision close up is a actually poor IIRC, they're far away vision is seemingly quite good.
Only bad within a foot or so.

I have noticed they wait til the last minute though. They must think a car is a predator and it might not see them if they stay still but when the car gets closer the cat flees.

My 27lb cat doesn't move for anything.
Old 04 May 2015, 08:07 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Only bad within a foot or so.

I have noticed they wait til the last minute though. They must think a car is a predator and it might not see them if they stay still but when the car gets closer the cat flees.

My 27lb cat doesn't move for anything.
Unless the fridge door is getting opened