Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2015, 10:04 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Bye bye diesels

Supreme Court pollution ruling will mean major crackdown on diesel vehicles

Excellent news!

1) The government (whoever they are) will have to face up to yet another rule imposed by Europe that they can do nothing about!

2) We will start getting rid of diesels. I have never owned one and never will, horrible things.

Apparently the first move will be to restrict their use in London.... more good news, life gets even more awkward for people dumb enough to live and work there.

It's a win win
Old 30 April 2015, 10:25 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I know. I've just read it. Gutted, as I'll have to rid my car, and buy a petrol one.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:29 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I know. I've just read it. Gutted, as I'll have to rid my car, and buy a petrol one.
Nah you live in a sensible part of the world so you will get many years grace before having to get rid. TBH though I would start to think about it sooner rather than later as the values will start to drop if any of this comes to fruition obviously.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now as the manufacturers have been spending their time perfecting small petrol engine turbo technology and of course hybrid electric/petrol.

Some of the economy figures on these small petrol engines are astonishing.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Neither of you read this bit, then:

The main culprits are not private cars, but older buses and diesel-powered trucks, which are largely responsible for the UK's polluted cities.
It'll be older taxis too.

And this is about time, when diesel owners have been struggling with EGR and DPF for years, only to see lorries, older taxis and buses belching out fumes.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Nah you live in a sensible part of the world so you will get many years grace before having to get rid. TBH though I would start to think about it sooner rather than later as the values will start to drop if any of this comes to fruition obviously.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now as the manufacturers have been spending their time perfecting small petrol engine turbo technology and of course hybrid electric/petrol.

And also lies.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:34 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
And also lies.
In what way? Not the performance stuff like the A45 AMG where the claims are a bit wild, I am talking about standard fare. My neighbour next door has a new Fiesta with some eco engine in it and he actually sees 60mpg.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Neither of you read this bit, then:

It'll be older taxis too.

And this is about time, when diesel owners have been struggling with EGR and DPF for years, only to see lorries, older taxis and buses belching out fumes.
Want to have a bet that all diesels don't get swept up in the legislation in time?

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2015, 10:37 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

This is partly the reason we opted for a petrol engine over a diesel engine when recently buying a new DS3 for my wife and the same reason I advised my mother to go for a petrol engine in the new Clio she bought only last week....I think the soot chucked has had its day from what I have read/seen recently.

Last edited by jayallen; 30 April 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:42 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Want to have a bet that all diesels don't get swept up in the legislation in time?
Only if 'in time' is considered as decades, rather than years....

Its a European directive and Europe still produces the best diesel engines in the world. Their not going to cripple their own automotive industry, are they

As mentioned, this is targeting buses, lorries and other commercial vehicles.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:47 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

In what way? Not the performance stuff like the A45 AMG where the claims are a bit wild, I am talking about standard fare. My neighbour next door has a new Fiesta with some eco engine in it and he actually sees 60mpg.
I saw 47mpg in my RCZR by just sticking to the speed limits on the motorways and that has 270ps
Old 30 April 2015, 10:54 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Only if 'in time' is considered as decades, rather than years....

Its a European directive and Europe still produces the best diesel engines in the world. Their not going to cripple their own automotive industry, are they

As mentioned, this is targeting buses, lorries and other commercial vehicles.
How can forcing people to change cars be crippling their own automotive industry? Sounds like the perfect way to generate sales to me!
Old 30 April 2015, 10:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I saw 47mpg in my RCZR by just sticking to the speed limits on the motorways and that has 270ps
Exactly, my neighbour has just got rid of a Peugeot diesel and bought this Fiesta, to say he is amazed at how frugal it is is an understatement. On top of that he reckons it drives pretty much as well as the Peugeot which is a surprise to him as he was expecting it to be dog slow.
Old 30 April 2015, 11:05 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Phew! Thank you!

Sure. One article is blaming Gordon Brown for it.
Old 30 April 2015, 11:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think diesels buying has for some time been going down the path of the luxury / performance choice....

Last edited by dpb; 30 April 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 30 April 2015, 12:11 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

How can forcing people to change cars be crippling their own automotive industry? Sounds like the perfect way to generate sales to me!
Because plunging diesel resale values will hit the 2nd hand car industry.

Because the car manufacturers will have spent a fortune on diesel development. All of that funding will have been justified on a ROI calculation, based on estimated sales over the lifespan of that technology. And now they need to plough more money into petrol hybrids etc.

Not to mention the oil industries commitment to diesel production. If their change process incurs cost (to wind down diesel production and increase unleaded production) - which it undoubtedly would - then that cost will be passed onto the consumer as increased fuel prices.... which leads to increase in the price of everything through distribution costs etc, impact on the economy blah blah blah.

Face it, it'll be in London only at worst for the foreseeable future.
Old 30 April 2015, 12:16 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Or potential flipside..... increased demand in unleaded will drive costs up, surplus diesel production will lead to price falling. All the people jumping on the eco-petrol bandwagon find their unleaded cars less cheap to run than your average 50mpg TDI
Old 30 April 2015, 12:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpb
I think diesels buying has for some time been going down the path of the luxury / performance path ....
I totally agree.

Diesel vehicles are here to stay, they're just looking to get rid of the old vehicles.
Old 30 April 2015, 12:42 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're driving any car in London you better have a good reason as it's ****ing insanity, get a push bike.
Old 30 April 2015, 12:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Because plunging diesel resale values will hit the 2nd hand car industry.

Because the car manufacturers will have spent a fortune on diesel development. All of that funding will have been justified on a ROI calculation, based on estimated sales over the lifespan of that technology. And now they need to plough more money into petrol hybrids etc.

Not to mention the oil industries commitment to diesel production. If their change process incurs cost (to wind down diesel production and increase unleaded production) - which it undoubtedly would - then that cost will be passed onto the consumer as increased fuel prices.... which leads to increase in the price of everything through distribution costs etc, impact on the economy blah blah blah.

Face it, it'll be in London only at worst for the foreseeable future.
Car manufacturers have spent a fortune on petrol engine development and hybrid development, phasing out diesels somewhat will not bother them one bit.

Increased fuel prices.... when did that bother anyone?

It's the perfect opportunity to earn more money as a fuel company and more tax as a government. It will be happening soon. Boris has already mentioned levying a £10 charge on diesels cars entering London!

The pollution argument is perfect for all concerned!
Old 30 April 2015, 01:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

More petrol/hybrid/electric cars will be needed, more research, increased demand and in the long term profits surely.

But it's strange that there are not any diesel/hybrid cars about or being developed. I wonder why?
Old 30 April 2015, 01:34 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take a guess that this is the first step to getting rid of all petrol and diesel cars ,suerly the future is electric cars
Old 30 April 2015, 01:44 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

But it's strange that there are not any diesel/hybrid cars about or being developed. I wonder why?
Maybe because although a diesel engine may have lower CO2 emissions than a petrol engine, it emits higher amounts of deadly pollutants including nitrogen dioxide and sooty particulate matter.

It was the tax breaks the last Labour government offered that made buying a diesel a better option than petrol even though they were warned of the public health issues.....Did they listen? do they ever? lol
Old 30 April 2015, 01:45 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH I would happily change back to Petrol or even consider a hybrid / full electric car if I could get somewhere in the region of the same MPG from it and it looked nice and was near equal.
Don't get me wrong I drive a VX Insignia which is supposed to be not the worse car out there, but not the likes of BMW, Mercedes etc.

Just to add, I pay £30 in car tax because it's the 163bhp not the 140 which is zero so I doubt it's that dirty lol.

the traveling to London well I am happy to jump on the train if I have meetings so it should be ok lol...I have never loved London ;-)
Old 30 April 2015, 01:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Supreme Court pollution ruling will mean major crackdown on diesel vehicles

Excellent news!

1) The government (whoever they are) will have to face up to yet another rule imposed by Europe that they can do nothing about!

2) We will start getting rid of diesels. I have never owned one and never will, horrible things.

Apparently the first move will be to restrict their use in London.... more good news, life gets even more awkward for people dumb enough to live and work there.

It's a win win

IMO the main problem with diesel emission is buses!!!

The amount of "ENVIRO 400"double deckers I see round here spewing out excessive smoke is beggars belief.

Why is a bus called Enviro? I think it probably imples its EU4 or EU5 compliant? These are clearly not; from particulate alone, let alone NOx.

And I know why too: You see one of our workshop guy used to be a HGV mechanic, and some of his old work mates still work in the sector, along with some working for bus operators.

What is actually happening is buses are being fitted with devices which bypass the "adblu" system. These would nomrally restrict power if the adblu bottle is empty or the system is malfunctioning. Some of the newer fleet has start-stop systems...they cause nothing but problems with excessive breakdowns (think its on the new Mercedes busses), so guess what? The start-stop has been deactivated too. God knows what they are doing to the DPFs and EGR.

Other smaller operators are running aincient buses that pre date EU4, even EU3, if it were London they'd be banned!

So why aren't bus operators, or even any other HGV operator being held to task? I know its happening.

Also last year, alot of emissions issues in the UK was actually blown in from north Africa....yet we the UK was penalised for it, how can that be our fault?
Old 30 April 2015, 02:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

UK government loses a lot of tax too, as diesel is usually 26p per gallon more tax than petrol.

Watch petrol prices start to fly again.....
Old 30 April 2015, 02:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gary77
i would take a guess that this is the first step to getting rid of all petrol and diesel cars ,suerly the future is electric cars

They have a HELL of a way to go, with stupidly small ranges, virtually NO top up stations outside the bigger cities and a battery life of 5-10 years....after which you are into £5000-£8000 to replace them.

Not in my lifetime.........which, thankfully, if this is the way we are being forced, is rather shorter than most on here.
Old 30 April 2015, 02:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Who said they were forcing people change cars?

This is nothing to do with cars, the article is about lorries and buses. Although admittedly the attention grabbing headline does say 'vehicles'

Last edited by Martin2005; 30 April 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 30 April 2015, 02:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Hellfire.........I agree with martin again.
Off for a lie down.............
Old 30 April 2015, 02:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Hellfire.........I agree with martin again.
Off for a lie down.............
Please don't agree with me, I have to start questioning myself again
Old 30 April 2015, 03:59 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Only the 4.2tdi left as we have moved all other vehicles back to petrol over the years. I'll keep the q7 until hydrogen really becomes common place.

Quick Reply: Bye bye diesels