Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving in the Wet on the Motorway

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 07:06 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

What is it with people who think they are invincible on the motorway in the wet. I've only ever seen it this bad a few times, visibility < 100 meters and a road that looked like a river. Did see lots of cars by the side of the road and a few accidents luckily not bad.

You have people who don't put their lights on, people that don't leave a gap, people that cut in front of you, people that tailgate, people that brake going through standing water. The worst though are the HGVs.

And where are the Police stopping people for dangerous driving, not using lights, driving without due car and attention. (They are cleaning up after all the accidents).

Oh and the new driving standards advert on the TV with the motorbike, what a complete and utter pile of s***.

Rant over

Si

[Edited by SiCotty - 6/5/2002 7:27:14 PM]
Old 05 June 2002, 10:05 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Angry

Now although I don't ride a bike I have several friends who do. And since they started I've been far more aware of bikes and riders. I move over for them when they came up behind me. try and keep a lookout for them etc etc...

But in THAT advert you can hear the drivers indicator ticking. If the bike rider cant be bothered to look at what the cars doing. moving over to the right and indicating IMHO he had it coming!

Also many accidents involving bikes are the riders fault. Guy at work hit a car coming out of a side turning. Driver claims didn't see him. Not surprised as at 70 mph in a 30 you come up on things very quickly!!! Also driving along at the weekend had 2 t1ts on 400's, one buzzed passed (and I mean buzzed as in 6" away) me as I was slowing for a Zebra crossing (No light on) and his mate a bit more reserved, still cut me up though, but did't have his light on either. they teach you to have it on so people see you, and to assume that everyone hasn't seen you or is deliberatly trying to kill you.

If you don't help yourself then its inevitable you'll come a cropper!!!

Thanks for reading

Richard
Old 05 June 2002, 10:09 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

"they teach you to have it on so people see you, and to assume that everyone hasn't seen you or is deliberatly trying to kill you."

good advice, and well worth heeding.
Old 06 June 2002, 10:32 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Si, I agree with everything you've said, except that I find drivers of those 'orrible big 4x4s the worst. New millenium Volvo drivers they are.

When conditions are good, very few drivers overtake me, but when they're bad, just about everyone does. A few years riding bikes teaches you a lot!

And what are the police doing about it? Well, I don't want to get into that one but sadly it is this kind of behaviour that makes me uncomfortable about raising the speed limit. Frankly, most drivers (all except us lot, eh ) are irretrievably stupid.

Regards,

Richard.