Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do people of Asian origin hardly ever go for walks in the countryside?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2015, 04:08 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people of Asian origin hardly ever go for walks in the countryside?

My wife and I usually walk 10 - 15 miles on our local footpaths, canal towpaths and bridleways each week. It helps keep us fit and we see some wonderful sights and wildlife.

Living in the sticks, and yet only a few miles from a city with a very diverse ethnic population, in the last four years we have met only one Asian couple doing the same thing, and that was a one-off.

We have a Sunday car boot sale in a field nearby all summer, and there are hundreds of Asian origin people there, but they seem to just drive there, shop, and go home.

I'm genuinely interested to know why this is. We live in a beautiful country, and yet these folks seem to be completely missing out on much of it.

I was on the local county access forum (ie a council run meeting, not an internet forum) years back and intended to put it on the agenda to discuss then, but sadly my job changed and I left before I got the chance to do so.

As this is the only internet forum I frequent with a nicely diverse range of people on it, I thought I'd see if anyone can offer any pertinent thoughts.

Thanks folks.
Old 03 April 2015, 05:03 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I love walks, and I do some walks in Summer. Unfortunately, I feel terribly cold in winter, and therefore I do not bother with walks, then. Even in Summer, my Raynaud's limits my long, leisure walks outside. Another reason that has thinned my walks further (if not me ) is other walkers' dogs. People let their fierce dogs off their leash, which doesn't suit me. I'm not comfortable with angry dogs. It annoys me, because it limits my walking expeditions.

My daughter in Anglo-Indian. She's a daily runner and a walker. My son is Anglo-Indian. He's a hobby athlete. Apart from his running, he has his dog that takes him out for very long walks every day.

We do live in a beautiful area of Britain i.e. North Wales. It's a pleasure to do walks around here. You won't see many Asians here on walks, because there aren't many Asians living here.
Old 03 April 2015, 05:22 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

In my experience in built up areas like where I live, or my Dad lives there isn't many places to go for public walks but relatively high levels of Asian population.
Where my mum lives, and my wife's Nan, and the mother-in-law there are quite a few nice places to take the kids out for some fresh air, but the Asian population is either very low or non-existent.
I can only think of the local lakes near me, and yes I'd have to say its not often I would see Asian people there.

As its been said different races tend to stick to their own and don't tend to integrate. Shame, but it's true.
Old 03 April 2015, 06:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think there was an article on countryfile about introducing asian / indian people to country walking... Unless I'm imagining it

I imagine it's same as why african people generally laugh at the keep fit englander weekend cyclist. Back there it's a means of transport and work/everday life without McDonalds is enough to " keep fit "

Last edited by dpb; 03 April 2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 06:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I think there was an article on countryfile about introducing asian / indian people to country walking... Unless I'm imagining it

I imagine it's same as why african people generally laugh at the keep fit englander weekend cyclist. Back there it's a means of transport and work is enough to " keep fit "
You are imagining it wrong, if you think that an intentional leisurely walk is an alien concept for Indians.

Everyone goes out for an evening walk in India, because cool evening walks are just so pleasant there, after a long day under the blazing sun. This 'everyone' includes women as well btw, just in case anyone thinks that women may not be allowed to go for walks there, which is not true. Not just the relief from the heat but also to keep fit, with better digestion of their lovely curry dinners. Life expectancy is still low in India (65, I think), which relates to genetics, diet etc. The kind of fatty foods they eat 3 times a day summons for triple the exercise (that must include cardio) than just one stroll a day, and tbh, that doesn't happen for most adults there, as they seem to get over-occupied with work and eat too much of some very sugary/full fat milky sweets as well as rich curries. Work is not always farming. They do all sorts there like policing, politics, buying and selling gold, silver, other minerals and properties, fixing watches, tailoring clothes, teaching, doctoring, flying planes, fixing cars; running restaurant and shops- all sorts.

Like Africans, some of my Caribbean friends also laugh at their own race joggers on Barboados beach. It's hard not to laugh with them.

Last edited by Turbohot; 03 April 2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 07:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Duncan, you're not imagining this bit. I'm sure I've read that myself. It was a long time ago.
Old 03 April 2015, 07:21 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Asian misses has no interest in walking in the lake district or seaside despite living close by in Cumbria

She like all Asians we know would rather trail around shops looking for cheap tat and bargains and trying to find places that sell things as cheap as primark

Take her to black pool and she loves it all the sovernere shops and car boot sales But a walk in the countryside would bore her to tears

Same when ever we go on holiday
New York /Singapore /Niagro falls / Sydney and all the other nice places she trailed around shops instead of the actual tourist places
Old 03 April 2015, 09:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I try - and often fail - to do 10,000 steps a day, working from home that means a twice daily fake commute, I live in town and walk out and back, outside of the centre I'm pretty much on my own, it's shocking how few people walk nowadays.
Old 03 April 2015, 09:35 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Answer; because it's too bloody cold!
Old 03 April 2015, 09:56 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Old 03 April 2015, 10:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Too hot in summer
Old 03 April 2015, 11:04 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

It's because we go for a walk using Google maps that's why.

On a serious note I don't go for walks because I'm scared of being attacked by angry working class/unemployed people who think they can get away with murdering me just because there are no witnesses! Jus kidding..... Her hee

The real reason I don't go for walks in the countryside is because it cold, windy, the scenery is **** (most places), would rather by doing the art of reproduction.
Old 03 April 2015, 11:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Duncan, you're not imagining this bit. I'm sure I've read that myself. It was a long time ago.
I think about 6 months ago, no more than a year
Old 04 April 2015, 12:07 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaid
It's because we go for a walk using Google maps that's why.

On a serious note I don't go for walks because I'm scared of being attacked by angry working class/unemployed people who think they can get away with murdering me just because there are no witnesses! Jus kidding..... Her hee

The real reason I don't go for walks in the countryside is because it cold, windy, the scenery is **** (most places), would rather by doing the art of reproduction.
Oh do stop being so silly.

Asian folk should start doing the whole walking trough countryside thing as at the moment they are leading the race to death via heart disease and diabetes.
Old 04 April 2015, 06:59 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

This is all very interesting, thanks folks.

Can I summarise it so far as the climate doesn't suit, and long working hours often make it impractical (and Mrs Lordharding prefers shopping!)?
Old 04 April 2015, 07:16 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd also add that you don't see many people of Afro Caribbean origin out walking either and that's also probably to do with the cold and most would probably rather stay at home eating chicken and rice drinking rum, smoking weed and ********.

Can't fault em really.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:12 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Do half Asians count ? Ha ! Me and wifey ( white ) go for lots of walks , in worcester and whilst here now on hols in Mauritius ! He hee ! We regular walk along the canal into town then across the race course and along the river to the camp house pub in Grimley ! Drink cloudy thatchers then try and walk back ! 12 miles all round trip . I don't run a corner shop though or the local spar so have plenty of time on my hands !

Maz
Old 04 April 2015, 08:44 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz
Do half Asians count ? Ha ! Me and wifey ( white ) go for lots of walks , in worcester and whilst here now on hols in Mauritius ! He hee ! We regular walk along the canal into town then across the race course and along the river to the camp house pub in Grimley ! Drink cloudy thatchers then try and walk back ! 12 miles all round trip . I don't run a corner shop though or the local spar so have plenty of time on my hands !

Maz

You sound like a coconut mate

Seriously though apart from the health benefits (which can be achieved in other ways) what's the point? What's so fascinating about canals and towpaths? And the wildlife in this country is hardly inspiring, it's not as though you're going to come across a herd of elephants, rhino etc
Old 04 April 2015, 08:59 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Coconut ? Ha ! Depends where you live I suppose ! If you plan the walk out well enough via pub and shops to keep her in doors happy then it's good for me ! Don't see it as a healthy option really going to the pub but I do enjoy getting out and going on longwalks !
Old 04 April 2015, 09:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

Seriously though apart from the health benefits (which can be achieved in other ways) what's the point? What's so fascinating about canals and towpaths? And the wildlife in this country is hardly inspiring, it's not as though you're going to come across a herd of elephants, rhino etc
Its a good point. If you don't live in the almost deserted areas of Wales and Scotland (or the Lakes), the English countryside is well, mostly just a load of farmland.

There's nothing natural about farmland. To all intents, its just an outdoor factory

Of course we have the national parks which "shouldn't" be farmland I've walked through Northumberland, Kielder is a load of pine trees (planted by man and a man-made lake...and a s**t load of hungry midges. Exmore is aload of rolling hills and farmland, and racist locals (racist against "townies" - seriously! ) Peak district is more hilly a tad more natural terrain, if you ignore the millstones...still lots farmland.

And well, 2hours on a plane gets me to places untouched by man without being stuck behind a slow, meandering caravan for 50miles.

I have the Malverns on my doorstep....but I wouldn't dare try going anywhere near there on this weekend. You wouldn't get near it for all the caravanners clogging up the roads! So that just leave the local fields and bridal and tow paths.....skipping over other people's dog and horse s**t and making sure the dog doesn't run off after a rabbit.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 April 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04 April 2015, 10:05 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Health on it's own is reason enough, but you also get to places if you don't walk in circles and if you open your eyes you'll see plenty of things.
Old 04 April 2015, 11:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Air is generally cleaner as well

Course you could just put an extraction system in your basement, ride your treadmill, whilst looking at the serengetti onto telly
Old 04 April 2015, 11:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

you could order some elephant dung from the zoo ,leave it in the corner for extra authenticty
Old 04 April 2015, 04:35 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Strange thread!

Can't imagine anyone doesn't like a good walk.Not dependant on if you are from Bombay or Hannoi!
Old 04 April 2015, 06:04 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

You townies haven't a clue about the countryside and wildlife! Plus it smells fresh, let's keep it that way.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:06 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
You townies haven't a clue about the countryside and wildlife! Plus it smells fresh, let's keep it that way.

It's not about me not having a clue or not appreciating fresh air, I hate pollution. There are some areas of real natural beauty in the UK but in the time it would take me to get there I could hop on a plane and go somewhere beautiful AND warm.

The general UK countryside is just boring fields, canal paths and pubs that serve crappy food. If your idea of a good time is to wander through muddy fields and stare at dirty canal water then knock yourself out mate.

Btw, finally rigged up the GJD kit you recommended. Having a few issues with it at present, but it's probably the fault of the sparky

Last edited by Dingdongler; 04 April 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:39 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Lol, have to agree ! Lived in brum and moved to present location 15 years ago and wouldn't change it for the world each to their own I guess . Depends on what you are used to . Yes you can fly out and in a couple of hours be in Spain blah blah blah, but add the parking or the taxi fair and the 1 or 2 hour check in time to that then is it really 2 hours ? Lots of great places in the uk
Old 04 April 2015, 09:20 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'd also add that you don't see many people of Afro Caribbean origin out walking either and that's also probably to do with the cold and most would probably rather stay at home eating chicken and rice drinking rum, smoking weed and ********.

Can't fault em really.
Sounds like a damned good idea to me lol
Old 04 April 2015, 09:21 PM
Lisawrx

I'm not Asian, but I'm not all that much of a fan of countryside walks. I do, however, love going up the coast and having a nice walk there. I love the seaside.
Old 04 April 2015, 09:43 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Cutting my grass today and a couple an Asian woman and white male walked past with their dog and seen them a few times!

Quick Reply: Why do people of Asian origin hardly ever go for walks in the countryside?