Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Decent Chinese food

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2015, 02:39 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent Chinese food

When I was younger I am sure you used to be able to get decent Chinese food in some restaurants.

These days I have gone right off it as nowhere seems to be any good any longer.

Tonight I went into Manchester to meet some clients and we had a meal in the Chinese quarter in Manchester.

Overpriced, pretty average and served in the usual Chinese restaurant style.... sullen humourless staff.

Every time I say never again and yet some how 12 months on I think 'it may be better this time'... but it never is!
Old 26 February 2015, 05:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a couple of decent ones in my town but they have been there a very long time, couple of restaurants that people have said to me are good were actually crap by comparison.

Unfortunately it's like most things these days, it's all about making money. With the advent of the Chinese Supermarket at lot of the stuff they sell is frozen crap, it's not like when we were lads and they made it all from scratch.
Old 26 February 2015, 07:43 AM
beefoss
Scooby Regular

Proper Chinese food in Bristol by ikea which is also right above a Chinese supermarket. Maybe that's the key to finding quality Chinese food.
Old 26 February 2015, 08:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Alot of Chinese restaurants round here serve sickly sauced mushy slop. The buffet/all you can eat ones are the worst - help yourself type restaurants always remind me of school dinner, dishing up slop from containers of mushy Luke warm food that's been festering for hours (that includes many carverys BTW).

Luckily there is a nearby local Cantonese restaurant that is very very good and fairly priced. You pay twice as much at another restaurant and get worse.
It's nothing special, but it's fresh, well prepared, well cooked and well presented food that tastes good.

I guess its like pubs, curry houses and pizza places - 60% are crap, 35% are average and 5% are really good. And what I do find as well is the more posh/expensive places often aren't as good either.
Old 26 February 2015, 08:15 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

My Mrs has spent a fair amount of time in China and it took here quite some time to be able to eat a small amount of the slop we call "Chinese" food over here.

Which having spent a reasonable amount of time in India myself and seeing some of the crap that gets served in Indian restaurants here I totally understand where she is coming from.

I prefer to eat Thai these days as they seem less corrupted by western tastes and greed, I also like spicy, hot ish food.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still, how was the company F1 - was the Beautiful game on the menu.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:36 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will only get worse when UKIP get rid of all the Chinese people pal....
Old 26 February 2015, 10:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
It will only get worse when UKIP get rid of all the Chinese people pal....
Is that in their manifesto?
Old 26 February 2015, 10:22 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I stopped kidding myself that I'd get good chinese food over a year ago and I have a theory on why:

If you go to a good Indian or a Italian you nearly always find that the owner takes great pride in their restaurant and the food the serve. They invariably try to distance themselves from the competition with signature dishes and different ways of doing things.

However, Chinese restaurants are no longer like this - they are like a solved puzzle or matured market. The owners of Chinese establishments know that if you serve up the usual offerings like everyone else the British appetite for Chinese food is enough to make a healthy profit. With the right location for covers and takeaway, it's pretty much a license to print money without having to try hard. So they don't. I believe that nearly all Chinese restaurants have given up and accepted mediocrity because there is no incentive or need to rise above it.

Chinese food in the UK used to be really good. Now it's just sh*t and it's all the same. You order a 42. get a greasy plate of crap and pay your money. The only way it will change is if you vote with your feet which is why I always choose Indian, Italian, British food first these days.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:25 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Chinese food in the UK used to be really good. Now it's just sh*t and it's all the same. You order a 42. get a greasy plate of crap and pay your money. The only way it will change is if you vote with your feet which is why I always choose Indian, Italian, British food first these days.
That is EXACTLY how I feel about it Prefer Indian (or Pakistani more correctly in my case) food anyway!
Old 26 February 2015, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Had a lovely banquet in Liverpool's Chinese quarter, just before Christmas.

A few years ago, the wife's school did an exchange with some Chinese schools.

Thery took the Chinese staff to a very pricey (for Scunthorpe), Chinese restaurant for a banquet.

The Chinese people were bemused with most of the food, hardly recognising one dish in four.......
Old 26 February 2015, 12:05 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Thai food's rather pleasant.
Old 26 February 2015, 12:36 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

We are lucky, we have an outstanding Chinese takeaway at the top of our road I agree though, before she opened I avoided all the others in the area because they all served the same greasy MSG laden stodge

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Real Thai food is better than pleasant, it's some of the best food in the world
Old 26 February 2015, 12:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

got a cracking chinese restraunt round the corner from my house
Old 26 February 2015, 12:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
When I was younger I am sure you used to be able to get decent Chinese food in some restaurants.

Tonight I went into Manchester to meet some clients and we had a meal in the Chinese quarter in Manchester.

Overpriced, pretty average and served in the usual Chinese restaurant style.... sullen humourless staff.

Every time I say never again and yet some how 12 months on I think 'it may be better this time'... but it never is!
My stomach doesn't respond well to Chinese food, nor do my taste buds. But I continue to eat it to go with family choices.

I was in one Chinese over the weekend with my family. I felt very lousy with stomach upset that night back home, and that continued for another day. That's one Chinese where the Chinese staff have risen below their nature of remaining stern, a they do smile to you. The other one which I prefer is more expensive, gives me less stomach ache, but the staff is very robotic with no hospitality manners. I prefer eating in the second one, if I have to eat Chinese. We also get take away from this second one sometimes, because that way, we don't have to see their stern faces; as if to say to us- "Why the fvvk are you here, and don't bother coming back here".

Not sure what Chinese Quarters restaurants are like, as I can't remember eating in one. I have eaten on big Chinese restaurants, including the ones that kick you out after two hours of you being there. I'm not keen on any large restaurants tbh- may they be Italian, Mexican, Chinese or Indian or whatever. Largeness, to me, screams out greed of the restaurant owner; more that the service to cater for larger number thus better accessibility/availability. I prefer small to medium restaurants where you don't have to queue like an idiot. I don't even like Pizza Express (they do pizza to my standards, although not as good as proper Italians-run Italians) on busy nights, because I can't be @rsed with waiting to sit there. In the biggest and the most popular Indian around us, they also get too busy sometimes, but they have a palace-like large bus shelter inside, under which you could sit, eat your Bombay mix and have a drink while you're waiting and listening to some calming Sitar music on their stereo. They don't kick you out until you kick yourself out.

So, yes, back to the main thing, I occasionally will go to Chinese, even if they don't smile to me. I'm kind of desensitised to their dry behaviour now, after years of knowing that most Chinese restaurant staff are stern-faced; may it be a language thing or a cultural one. Food wise, yes, if it's an overpriced sh7t, I don't think I want to go back to that place. I don't think that it would have improved in next six months. What I do notice is that whenever I've gone after such restaurants' management has changed, it's either improved or gone downhill. So, I suggest you try it again when they're under different management. Until then, I wouldn't go back unless they put the banners up, saying that they have improved. There's no guarantee that they would have changed, but at least you've given them a chance.
Old 26 February 2015, 12:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor

Yes, I'll eat Thai any time.

Not keen on any noodle things from any cuisine apart from sivayi from Eid cooked as kheer, but my favourite is their green Thai fish curry with their rice. I love their wontons as well. They know how to use lemongrass, sesame seeds and coconut cream in combination very well in their cooking. Their pastry is always so elegantly delicate that it makes me launch about our ghastly British pork pies all over the place to destroy them.
Old 26 February 2015, 12:46 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The "Chinese" food you get here is NOT Chinese. What you find in most takeaways and restaurants is watered down for western palates, you will not find chicken curry or sweet and sour pork ***** in a proper Chinese establishement! If you go to a Chinese restaurant and don't see any Chinese in there eating, then there's a reason for that.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
The "Chinese" food you get here is NOT Chinese. What you find in most takeaways and restaurants is watered down for western palates, you will not find chicken curry or sweet and sour pork ***** in a proper Chinese establishement! If you go to a Chinese restaurant and don't see any Chinese in there eating, then there's a reason for that.
OK, but we have a Sushi bar in Chester. I've seen many Japanese looking people eating in there. Shame that Sushi doesn't appeal to me to the point that I'd spend 20 quid on a rice wrapped with some fish skin, or I'd give it a try.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
My stomach doesn't respond well to Chinese food, nor do my taste buds. But I continue to eat it to go with family choices.

I was in one Chinese over the weekend with my family. I felt very lousy with stomach upset that night back home, and that continued for another day. That's one Chinese where the Chinese staff have risen below their nature of remaining stern, a they do smile to you. The other one which I prefer is more expensive, gives me less stomach ache, but the staff is very robotic with no hospitality manners. I prefer eating in the second one, if I have to eat Chinese. We also get take away from this second one sometimes, because that way, we don't have to see their stern faces; as if to say to us- "Why the fvvk are you here, and don't bother coming back here".

Not sure what Chinese Quarters restaurants are like, as I can't remember eating in one. I have eaten on big Chinese restaurants, including the ones that kick you out after two hours of you being there. I'm not keen on any large restaurants tbh- may they be Italian, Mexican, Chinese or Indian or whatever. Largeness, to me, screams out greed of the restaurant owner; more that the service to cater for larger number thus better accessibility/availability. I prefer small to medium restaurants where you don't have to queue like an idiot. I don't even like Pizza Express (they do pizza to my standards, although not as good as proper Italians-run Italians) on busy nights, because I can't be @rsed with waiting to sit there. In the biggest and the most popular Indian around us, they also get too busy sometimes, but they have a palace-like large bus shelter inside, under which you could sit, eat your Bombay mix and have a drink while you're waiting and listening to some calming Sitar music on their stereo. They don't kick you out until you kick yourself out.

So, yes, back to the main thing, I occasionally will go to Chinese, even if they don't smile to me. I'm kind of desensitised to their dry behaviour now, after years of knowing that most Chinese restaurant staff are stern-faced; may it be a language thing or a cultural one. Food wise, yes, if it's an overpriced sh7t, I don't think I want to go back to that place. I don't think that it would have improved in next six months. What I do notice is that whenever I've gone after such restaurants' management has changed, it's either improved or gone downhill. So, I suggest you try it again when they're under different management. Until then, I wouldn't go back unless they put the banners up, saying that they have improved. There's no guarantee that they would have changed, but at least you've given them a chance.
Yes that's a spot on observation especially the bit in bold

To be honest I think I'm done with it, most of it is overpriced poor quality rubbish IMO, much like their country's manufacturing come to that
Old 26 February 2015, 01:52 PM
peter a
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I stopped kidding myself that I'd get good chinese food over a year ago and I have a theory on why:

If you go to a good Indian or a Italian you nearly always find that the owner takes great pride in their restaurant and the food the serve. They invariably try to distance themselves from the competition with signature dishes and different ways of doing things.

However, Chinese restaurants are no longer like this - they are like a solved puzzle or matured market. The owners of Chinese establishments know that if you serve up the usual offerings like everyone else the British appetite for Chinese food is enough to make a healthy profit. With the right location for covers and takeaway, it's pretty much a license to print money without having to try hard. So they don't. I believe that nearly all Chinese restaurants have given up and accepted mediocrity because there is no incentive or need to rise above it.

Go and eat at Hakkasan, Oh my go its good, bloody expensive though.
http://hakkasan.com/, it's awesome.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:57 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
got a cracking chinese restraunt round the corner from my house
It's not the white post one is it?

Edit to add; I hope it's not the one in Calvo cos that's one of the ones that someone told me was good and it's shoit.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 February 2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

long way for some grub

from scotland anyway
Old 26 February 2015, 02:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

That is so true of any restaurant and is a good tip when travelling around the world too.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:12 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a place in Preston called Tang that's very pleasant, and I know a place in Leamington Spa called the Phoenix which is also good.

But as the OP says a lot of Chinese restaurants and takeaways serve quite poor food these days.
Old 26 February 2015, 03:08 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
OK, but we have a Sushi bar in Chester. I've seen many Japanese looking people eating in there. Shame that Sushi doesn't appeal to me to the point that I'd spend 20 quid on a rice wrapped with some fish skin, or I'd give it a try.
It's usually wrapped in seaweed! Sushi uses expensive ingredients and the prices reflect this. Raw fish is an acquired taste, but whatever you try, avoid sea urchin.....
Old 26 February 2015, 03:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

If you go to a Chinese restaurant and don't see any Chinese in there eating, then there's a reason for that.
Yep, I've found a great one near me that is full of Chinese people.

Slowly working my way through the Dim Sum lunch menu.
Old 26 February 2015, 04:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Havnt you got to make sure the sea urchin is moving ?
Old 26 February 2015, 05:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It's usually wrapped in seaweed! Sushi uses expensive ingredients and the prices reflect this. Raw fish is an acquired taste, but whatever you try, avoid sea urchin.....

Ok, and doesn't matter how expensive the ingredients are. If you don't like something, you won't eat it, even if it's made of diamonds and gold.

However, I don't mind Sushi that much tbh. I will go and eat it with Japanese people in that Chester Sushi Bar. That place looks so fast food like that it puts me off. I wish it were more ethnic to look at. Anyway, I must give it a go, and report back.
Old 26 February 2015, 07:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I will eat anything, so I'll try anything at least once. Sushi is fine by me - neighbour (Japanease) made me some and it was superb. Never had anything close from a UK restaurant.

I love Thai food - spent some time over there many years ago. Only one Thai restaurant round here and thats more of a pseudo Thai as I suspect its ran by Chinese....last time I had a good Thai was when I visiting Nottingham on a errand and stopped in for some lunch....bit of a jaunt for a good meal though.

Going to have a Chinese takeaway tonight, not from my usual Cantonese, but the local take away - he's good and consistant but not your best nor authentic - but he does a good chow mein and generous portions its is freshly prepared and its far better than your usual sickly slop. We fix his cars so when I'm not in a fussy mood I'll throw some business his way. He does a belly buster special which is wrong on so many levels, but after skipping lunch and drinking a few pints in the evening, nothing else satisfies the hunger.
Old 27 February 2015, 01:09 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Yea I think its went downhill as well chris.

couple of good take aways in aberdeen where I live which are still pretty good but only one or two of them I still would order from now.

Thai food on the other hand seems to really of taken off up here with loads of restaurants opened up and serving amazing food,
there is even two burger vans that have been converted into thai take aways
in the industrail areas which are meant to be good,,,, think I am going to one tomorrow for lunch

Beef Pad thai noodles are amazing
and for a main the Beef penang curry is absolutely tastey
if you have not been for proper thai food you should give that a try as
for me chinese has taken a back seat and eat alot more thai food now as its so much better

Hows your kitchen coming along by the way

Quick Reply: Decent Chinese food