Osborne's employment miracle!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2015, 11:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osborne's employment miracle!

UK firms use 1.8m zero-hours contracts, says ONS

What a disgusting nation we have become!
Old 25 February 2015, 12:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

It represents 2% of uk employment. If you don't like the job get another one that suits you for hours/ pay. Nothing really difficult to grasp. My sister has a zero hours contract. She tells them what hours she is prepared to work and takes more work when she wants it.
Old 25 February 2015, 12:35 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 19yr old daughter is in her gap year and is on a zero hours contract.

She regularly works 30 hours a week and will often do more if asked.

OK, at the moment she lives at home so has no regular outgoings like Mortgage, loans, utilities etc so if the hours dried up it wouldn't be a huge problem.

They suit some people but not all.

Last edited by coupe_20vt; 25 February 2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 25 February 2015, 12:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

They are terrible, the two examples above are great until they want you to work less hours than you need to

How long before people wake up and smell the coffee I wonder
Old 25 February 2015, 12:52 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

As I said, they suit some people but not others.
Old 25 February 2015, 12:59 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

If there are not enough hours get a second zero hours job. My mother used to have between 3 and 4 part-time jobs at once and would go from one to another in the same day. It is just a modern version of what the last generation did.
Old 25 February 2015, 02:03 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
If there are not enough hours get a second zero hours job. My mother used to have between 3 and 4 part-time jobs at once and would go from one to another in the same day. It is just a modern version of what the last generation did.
Is that actually possible though? Surely the point of this being a contract is that you're committing to the obligation to be available for work if needed, so even though you might in practice only ever be called on to work in one place at any one time, the fact of committing yourself to potentially be in two at one time would put you in breach?
Old 25 February 2015, 02:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

mmm. i'm not sure on that

but I think some employers are trying to get people to sign "exclusive" Zero contracts

I.e you have to commit to availability - but the employer does not have to commit to any hours

I would imagine it is to stop the above behaviour

all seems so asymmetric to me
Old 25 February 2015, 02:25 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Is that actually possible though? Surely the point of this being a contract is that you're committing to the obligation to be available for work if needed, so even though you might in practice only ever be called on to work in one place at any one time, the fact of committing yourself to potentially be in two at one time would put you in breach?
There was a supreme court case Autoclenz v belcher which as far as I know disallowed employers from barring staff taking a second job- rights to regular working hours.
Old 25 February 2015, 05:42 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

There was a supreme court case Autoclenz v belcher which as far as I know disallowed employers from barring staff taking a second job- rights to regular working hours.
Now I've had time to google:
1. Autoclenz v Belcher deals with employers artificially constructing terms of employment to make it seem that employees are self-employed contractors working for them (as a means of avoiding the usual attendant obligations such as sick pay, holiday pay, etc), when in reality they are just conventional employees.
2. Sports Direct v Zahara deals with employers trying to get out of similar obligations on the basis that zero-hour contracted employees aren't covered by the same employment legislation as conventional employees.
3. With regards to exclusivity clauses specifically, these are due to be banned by law in the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill, which is currently going through its final readings in the Lords.
4. In practice, less than 10% of zero-hour contract employees actually have exclusivity clauses in their contracts.

So that's that then, we can all now go back to watching the footie and raking in the proceeds from our shares and buy-to-let investments
Old 25 February 2015, 05:50 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep! More non-news for the suckers!.
Old 25 February 2015, 06:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

How many of the 'people' posting on this thread thinking these contracts are a good idea are on one themselves?
Old 25 February 2015, 06:45 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

I am not but have family and they're happy to continue in the job, can't be the only person or they wouldn't be so many people actually on these contracts. I haven't worked for years, but then again, I am descended from royalty ) Saves me answering your thread about privacy online safety.
Old 25 February 2015, 09:09 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

How would these zero hour contracts stand when it came to getting a mortgage or something, I doubt the bank would be very kind to someone who could not guarantee steady work or income? Or am I mistaken?
Old 25 February 2015, 09:16 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Funny enough, guess what I just found on ITV site.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-...-a-good-thing/
Old 25 February 2015, 09:16 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It represents 2% of uk employment. If you don't like the job get another one that suits you for hours/ pay. Nothing really difficult to grasp. My sister has a zero hours contract. She tells them what hours she is prepared to work and takes more work when she wants it.
I am sure these contracts are good for people who willingly choose them to fit around their lives (kids, not the sole income etc.) not so great for others, many of whom have probably had no choice but to take the jobs, if that was all that was available. It's all well and good saying get another job, but life isn't always as simple as that.
Old 25 February 2015, 09:34 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

[QUO

Our family has never had problems finding work except my brother who has made a life of claiming benefit, he chose that way and has had very little to show for it.
If you are prepared to work, have a modicum of drive and intelligence, work is available. My mother and sister have had a variety of jobs, some quite well paid and some not. If they didn't want to continue in a job they left, but only when they had a new job to go to.
Just for self esteem alone, it is better to work than claim benefits.
Old 25 February 2015, 11:26 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUO

Our family has never had problems finding work except my brother who has made a life of claiming benefit, he chose that way and has had very little to show for it.
If you are prepared to work, have a modicum of drive and intelligence, work is available. My mother and sister have had a variety of jobs, some quite well paid and some not. If they didn't want to continue in a job they left, but only when they had a new job to go to.
Just for self esteem alone, it is better to work than claim benefits.
I'm not saying work isn't available, but for whatever reason, many people are obviously finding all that is available to them, are jobs with zero hour contracts, which aren't always ideal depending upon personal circumstances.

When I started work with my company over 15 years ago, they had part time contracts (I think the lowest was a 9hr week), but full time contracts were also available, and many in between. Those days are long gone, and whilst we at least don't have zero hour contracts, yet, all customer service roles are part time now. This appears to be very common within the retail sector, I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't be shocked if other sectors have moved this way.

Times have changed, and I appreciate you are commenting based upon your experience (or that of family), but clearly that is not the experience of all people out there, otherwise, people who want to work more structured (guaranteed) hours, wouldn't be working in the jobs they are in.

Not everyone is destined for high flying careers, and there will always have to be people working in certain roles, and I just personally feel that it's a bit **** that there will be a lot of people out there that are happy to go out and earn an honest days wage, finding themselves having to take a job on with very little structure or security.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:32 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Funny enough, guess what I just found on ITV site.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-...-a-good-thing/
They should have balanced the vote up by contacting SN
Old 26 February 2015, 08:40 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Out of 100% of Uk employment there are only 2% using zero hours, so it's not like it is a big proportion. I could understand the opinion of others if it was a major problem. There must be many contracted jobs available if people just look for them.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:50 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

here are the official stats - what is interesting is the % increase from 2013, to 2014 - someone better than me can do the math

•Number of people employed on a “zero-hours contract” in their main job was 697,000 for October to December 2014, representing 2.3% of all people in employment. In the same period in 2013, this was 1.9% of all people in employment (586,000).

•The number of people saying they are employed on “zero-hours contracts” depends on whether or not they recognise this term. It is not possible to say how much of the increase between 2013 and 2014 is due to greater recognition rather than new contracts.

•Number of contracts that do not guarantee a minimum number of hours where work was carried out was 1.8 million for the fortnight beginning 11 August 2014. The previously published estimate was 1.4 million for the fortnight beginning 20 January 2014.

•The two estimates of contracts should not be directly compared. They cover different times of year so changes in the numbers may reflect seasonal factors.

•On average, someone on a “zero-hours contract” usually works 25 hours a week.

•Around a third of people on “zero-hours contracts” want more hours, with most wanting them in their current job, compared with 10% of other people in employment.

•People on “zero-hours contracts” are more likely to be women, in full-time education or working part-time. They are also more likely to be aged under 25 or 65 and over.

•Over half of employers in Accommodation and Food Services and a quarter of employers in Education made some use of no guaranteed hours contracts in August 2014

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 26 February 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:36 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

On the Wright Stuff (day time tv) they've had a few phone ins about zero hour contacts and each time the lines are full of people ON zero hour contracts saying how they work great for them.
Some of the people that have phoned in have said they left a full contract job in order to go zero hours for the flexibility and even a increase of hours in some cases.

(Just what ive seen)

My opinion is that people are choosing to take them over benefits which is a good thing and has helped in the early stages of the down turn but l worry that some employers maybe taking advantage now.
I also think it is another attempt to attack government by people who are not on zero hours contracts, much the same as when people attack the government on behalf of disabled people who could be quietly happy.

The waters get muddy and it's often difficult to get a good understanding of the situation due to people bitching that aren't involved. I'd love to see a poll by ONLY people on zero hours contracts and see what their opinions are.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:52 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
I'd love to see a poll by ONLY people on zero hours contracts and see what their opinions are.
Not quite, but more relevant.... obviously these people didn't ring up the Wright Stuff

A survey conducted by Survation for the Fawcett Society looks at women on low-paid zero hours contracts.

We found that:

14% of women who are on the lowest pay are also on zero hours contracts. Nearly a third (32%) of low-paid women in London are on a zero hours contract
Two fifths of women on low-paid zero hours contracts told us it was the only work they could find
Almost half of these women (48%) don’t work the number of hours they would like
61% of women on low-paid zero hours contracts feel that they may miss out on future work if they turn down a shift
A new poll of low-paid women has found that 14% are on a zero hours contract – defined as a contract that requires the worker to be available for work whenever required by the employer, even when there is no guarantee that any work will be provided to them. This figure is almost a third among low-paid women in London.

The results suggest that low pay and zero hours contracts may go hand in hand. In February, our poll of people in employment found that 5% were on zero hours contracts. Women on low pay are therefore almost three times as likely to be on such an unpredictable contract than the workforce as a whole.

We asked respondents the main reason for them being on zero hours contracts. Only a quarter said they wanted such a contract. 40% said it was the only work they could find.

We also asked women on low-paid zero hours contracts whether the shifts/hours they get are more or less than they would like. Over half (52%) said the number of shifts/hours they get is ‘about right’, 20% get more than they want and 28% get less than they want.

Worryingly, 61% of women on low-paid zero hours contracts feel that if they turn down a shift, either they may be less likely to be offered further shifts or they may be offered no further work at all.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:48 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
How many of the 'people' posting on this thread thinking these contracts are a good idea are on one themselves?
My daughter think's they're a great idea. But I guess that doesn't count does it
Old 26 February 2015, 02:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
My daughter think's they're a great idea. But I guess that doesn't count does it

is that her main source of income?

is she a student? married? etc
Old 26 February 2015, 02:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

UK firms use 1.8m zero-hours contracts, says ONS

What a disgusting nation we have become!
How does this make us 'a disgusting nation'?

Why would you even say that?
Old 26 February 2015, 02:31 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

It represents 2% of uk employment.
I think it's a higher percentage than that. 1.8M represented as 2% would mean 100% is 90M which is more than the entire population of the UK. I know it probably equates to a minority figure still, so totally get your point, unless I've missed something obvious......in which case I'll take my flaming like a candle.

EDIT. So yeah about that candle......read the article and see what they are on about. The 1.8M figure takes into account of multiple jobs per person. Flame away

Last edited by daveyj; 26 February 2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 05:21 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj
I think it's a higher percentage than that. 1.8M represented as 2% would mean 100% is 90M which is more than the entire population of the UK. I know it probably equates to a minority figure still, so totally get your point, unless I've missed something obvious......in which case I'll take my flaming like a candle.

EDIT. So yeah about that candle......read the article and see what they are on about. The 1.8M figure takes into account of multiple jobs per person. Flame away
Yep, according to the Independent's front page today, it's 0.8 million actual people.
Old 26 February 2015, 11:17 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

More jobs created in the uk than the rest of Europe put together they say, can't all be zero hours contracts.
I also spent 10mins looking through a jobs site clicking on random jobs, about 20/25 and none was zero hours. Small scale l know but that's what l found.
Old 26 February 2015, 11:23 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Not quite, but more relevant.... obviously these people didn't ring up the Wright Stuff
If you note they mention women alot which rings true with this thread and makes up most of the zero hours contracts. Apparently it's young woman (mid twenties) either in second education or mum's.
Seems like it's at least creating jobs for young people and giving mum's the flexibility to work round school times.

Quick Reply: Osborne's employment miracle!