Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

They have learned nothing!

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2015, 08:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They have learned nothing!

Rifkind and Straw have today shown us that despite 15 years of falling public confidence in our politicians following one scandal after another they still do not get it and probably never will!

It has become par for the course for certain posters on this forum to poke fun at UKIP, well all I can say is take a look at the parties YOU are going to be voting for.

Greedy self serving pigs at the trough and you want to give them yet another term!
Old 23 February 2015, 08:13 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

They're politicians, what did you expect?
Old 23 February 2015, 08:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

haha , hook line and sinker

the populace i mean . or some of them

Last edited by dpb; 23 February 2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 23 February 2015, 08:41 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Rifkind and Straw have today shown us that despite 15 years of falling public confidence in our politicians following one scandal after another they still do not get it and probably never will!

It has become par for the course for certain posters on this forum to poke fun at UKIP, well all I can say is take a look at the parties YOU are going to be voting for.

Greedy self serving pigs at the trough and you want to give them yet another term!
Still awaiting someone who will no doubt try and defend them.
Old 23 February 2015, 08:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Still awaiting someone who will no doubt try and defend them.
Yep, I am sure someone will try sooner or later, I am a bit surprised the two above you didn't have a go, but they are obviously not feeling up to the challenge
Old 23 February 2015, 09:19 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Yep, I am sure someone will try sooner or later, I am a bit surprised the two above you didn't have a go, but they are obviously not feeling up to the challenge
It is quite a hard one for anyone to defend, I have at least two in mind who will at least try, won't mention any names for the sake of keeping the peace but I bet you know who they are as well...
Old 23 February 2015, 09:37 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
It is quite a hard one for anyone to defend, I have at least two in mind who will at least try, won't mention any names for the sake of keeping the peace but I bet you know who they are as well...
Yep I sure do We will see if they try
Old 24 February 2015, 05:59 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for these people, having to live on £67,000 a year. just how do they manage?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10064438.html
Old 24 February 2015, 06:22 AM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

What worries me about today's politicians is that to be a leader of one of the main parties all you have to do is to go to Eaton etc and study politics, none of them have ever run a business or even had much real life experience. Years ago and I'm showing my age now but the local Labour MP was an ex shop steward who at least seen and grown up in the real world and the local Tory MP was a business man with experience in managing and making a business profitable and let's get it right this country is one big business!

Last edited by FlatoutDave; 24 February 2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 24 February 2015, 06:35 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlatoutDave
What worries me about today's politicians is that to be a leader of one of the main parties all you have to do is to go to Eaton etc and study politics, none of them have ever run a business or even had much real life experience. Years ago and I'm showing my age now but the local Labour MP was an ex shop steward who at least seen and grown up in the real world and the local Tory MP was a business man with experience in managing and making a business profitable and let's get it right this country is one big business!
Yup, I can go with this, most of these are public school boys who have been born with the silver spoon syndrome and have no ******* clue about the average working man in this country.

Old 24 February 2015, 07:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yep: Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE). Especially at Oxford has a lot to answer for today's politics.

Have a look at the PPE graduates from Oxford and you'll see a lot of familiar names.

It's a sad sorry state of affairs that our country is run by the whimsical notions dreamt up in a lecture room rather than being based on actual personal experience in the real world; We may as well have the lecturers run the country rather than their protégés.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 February 2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 24 February 2015, 08:28 AM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Very well put ALI-B, your spot on.
Old 24 February 2015, 08:37 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As I said in a post a year or two ago - Educated beyond their abilities

A collapse in social mobility, and a rigorous and effective maintenance of the status quo that only benefits those at the top

With the defence of the "asset" class, actual wealth creation and innovation is stifled

I said in a post 4 odd years ago, the to have a decent standard of living in the country you need at least a 100k income (at least) Malcom Rifkin, gets it (those at the top all get it) that why he said he did not have a salary - he knows his 67k salary does not even touch the sides
Old 24 February 2015, 08:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got to maintain the "Status Quo"

If you've got money who needs brains or common sense, the system is set to favour those with money, after all they are the ones who set the system up in the first instance.

Sure the odd one or two can climb up the ladder from the outside but they have to "play the game" if they want to stay in the club and you won't get invited in unless you do.

Then you have to go to the right places, lick the right *****, send your kids to the right school.

But hey there is hope for the rest of us, one only has to look at Kate Middleton to realise that, her family are proper "Players" they'd do well in the "Ghetto"
Old 24 February 2015, 08:41 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
As I said in a post a year or two ago - Educated beyond their abilities

A collapse in social mobility, and a rigorous and effective maintenance of the status quo that only benefits those at the top

With the defence of the "asset" class, actual wealth creation and innovation is stifled

I said in a post 4 odd years ago, the to have a decent standard of living in the country you need at least a 100k income (at least) Malcom Rifkin, gets it (those at the top all get it) that why he said he did not have a salary - he knows his 67k salary does not even touch the sides
I think we were separated at birth, must type faster.
Old 24 February 2015, 10:28 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I'm not about to defend sleazy politicians, you shouldn't vote because it just encourages them.
But let's have a look at the process here.
Does anyone else wonder about how many other similar under cover investigations by our caring and public spirited journalists like this are carried out but have no consequence and as such are non-events?
Yet somebody's privacy has still been compromised.
In order to catch one or two prime candidates such as Rifkind and Straw, how many other people from public service must be subject to covert filming?
Now you can argue that people working in the world of public service have to forgo their right to privacy. Is that just and fair?
The point I'm trying to make is that, for example, the police can't (supposedly) tap your phone without showing due reason to do so. Yet it appears that a journalist can set up a 'sting' situation, covertly film the procedure, and post the results for all to see. The reason we don't see the results of the non-events is that they're not news worthy.
You never see any headlines shouting about the times they must interview public servants in a 'sting' scenario and are unable to find some dirty laundry. When was the last time anyone saw news headlines to the effect that Joe Bloggs MP is a thoroughly decent bloke because we couldn't tempt him with generous back hander?
Does this kind of secret activity constitute entrapment? Invasion of privacy? Pre-judgement of guilt?
Do the covert activities of Rebecca Brookes et al ring any bells with any one? There was huge public indignation at journalistic phone tapping of public figures in the name of making column inches.
How is secret filming so different?
And I scarcely dare mention Millie Dowling.
If there's one thing I loathe more than a greedy politician, it's a scum bag journalist.

Last edited by Blue by You; 24 February 2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 24 February 2015, 10:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

For me, it's the other way round: the journo, at least, does try to bring into the public domain stuff like this.

His means reflect how cozy are the politicians with the forces of law and order.

Was watching a VERY young new female candidate on TV last night, and the wife said, "What does SHE know, what can SHE do?"

My answer: "Fill her pockets, just like the rest of them.!
Old 24 February 2015, 11:07 AM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I'm not about to defend sleazy politicians, you shouldn't vote because it just encourages them.
Does anyone else wonder about how many other similar under cover investigations by our caring and public spirited journalists like this are carried out but have no consequence and as such are non-events?
In order to catch one or two prime candidates such as Rifkind and Straw, how many other people from public service must be subject to covert filming?
Now you can argue that people working in the world of public service have to forgo their right to privacy. Is that just and fair?
The point I'm trying to make is that, for example, the police can't (supposedly) tap your phone without showing due reason to do so. Yet it appears that a journalist can set up a 'sting' situation, covertly film the procedure, and post the results for all to see. The reason we don't see the results of the non-events is that they're not news worthy.
You never see any headlines shouting about the times they must interview public servants in a 'sting' scenario and are unable to find some dirty laundry. When was the last time anyone saw news headlines to the effect that Joe Bloggs MP is a thoroughly decent bloke because we couldn't tempt him with generous back hander?
Does this kind of secret activity constitute entrapment? Invasion of privacy? Pre-judgement of guilt?
Do the covert activities of Rebecca Brookes et al ring any bells with any one? There was huge public indignation at journalistic phone tapping of public figures in the name of making column inches.
If there's one thing I loathe more than a greedy politician, it's a scum bag journalist.
There's no privacy in this country anymore for anyone, since 9/11 New York the Governments of the world use scaremongering to convince us that the cameras etc are needed to protect us but do they protect us or just watch and monitor our every move and decision?

Last edited by FlatoutDave; 24 February 2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:08 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

How do you rationalise this...
Originally Posted by alcazar
For me, it's the other way round: the journo, at least, does try to bring into the public domain stuff like this.
With this...
The public probably does have a right to know.
But at what price?
Old 24 February 2015, 11:10 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

There's no privacy in this country anymore, since 9/11 New York the Governments of the world use scaremongering to convince us that the cameras etc are needed to protect us but do they protect us or just watch and monitor our every move and decision.
And that makes it ok for a salaried journalist to act in the same way?
At least governments are elected bodies acting on behalf of even a slightly suspicious electorate.
Who grants journalists the right?
Old 24 February 2015, 11:15 AM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

And that makes it ok for a salaried journalist to act in the same way?
At least governments are elected bodies acting on behalf of even a slightly suspicious electorate.
Who grants journalists the right?
I agree journalists take the ****! The phone hacking proved that, it's all about selling papers etc. But don't you think that we are all now living under big brother?
Old 24 February 2015, 11:16 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

His means reflect how cozy are the politicians with the forces of law and order.

Was watching a VERY young new female candidate on TV last night, and the wife said, "What does SHE know, what can SHE do?"

My answer: "Fill her pockets, just like the rest of them.!
That is fine, but it is the methods used by the journalists that is in question. I'm in two minds, it may be wrong, but it takes this to expose the wrongs of politicians too.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:26 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I agree journalists take the ****! The phone hacking proved that, it's all about selling papers etc. But don't you think that we are all now living under big brother?
Unfortunately you are right about BB.
However in both cases I believe it is the system that permits both kinds of transgression to happen.
Politicians know that they are permitted under certain conditions to have other sources of income, but there don't appear to be sufficiently robust controls in place to ensure those conditions are adherred to.
Journalists are allowed to conduct covert operations without seeking the agreement of the Judiciary. (BTW I don't think the fundamental pre-requisite of free speech would be necessarily compromised if the Judiciary were consulted on such matters).
Old 24 February 2015, 11:29 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Honestly, I dont vote as I truly believe they are all the same.

Just out for their own gains.

I am sure not all are like that but I can be sure that I know what human nature is like. So yes, the majority dont really give two monkeys.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:34 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's a tough choice between the scum that are the press and the scum that are the politicians, but they both deserve everything they get so f**k them!
Old 24 February 2015, 11:36 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DoZZa
Honestly, I dont vote as I truly believe they are all the same.

Just out for their own gains.

I am sure not all are like that but I can be sure that I know what human nature is like. So yes, the majority dont really give two monkeys.
I am convinced that, just by the law of averages, there are some really good and well intentioned politicians around. However their genuine efforts are swamped by the needs of the Party and greater political ambition.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:37 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's a tough choice between the scum that are the press and the scum that are the politicians, but they both deserve everything they get so f**k them!
Can't really argue with that
Old 24 February 2015, 12:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Can't really argue with that
Old 24 February 2015, 12:06 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

But it's so easy. Even the BBC have been getting in on the act.
Old 24 February 2015, 12:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

There's no privacy in this country anymore for anyone, since 9/11 New York the Governments of the world use scaremongering to convince us that the cameras etc are needed to protect us but do they protect us or just watch and monitor our every move and decision?

the rise in CCTV usage in the UK predates 911, it saw massive growth in the 80's and 90's - to the point that by the 00's the UK population was the most surveilled on earth.

it can't all be blamed on 911 - not in the UK at least

Quick Reply: They have learned nothing!