Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Suicide in Men- Don't bottle it up

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2015, 12:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suicide in Men- Don't bottle it up

We have had a suicide of a young male neighbour bang in the middle of our locality over the weekend, so one can imagine what it must have been like for everyone in our little village.

I suggest to all men here (as this place has a majority of men) that as the suicide rate in the UK is very high among men in general, that if ever, please do not bottle it up. Instead get help. Talk to your family and friends, see your doctor and access therapies- anything. May your reasons be physical, practical or emotional to feel so low, don't let your low moods beat you. Your life is too precious, and things do get better of you give them time. You leave your family, friends and many other people surviving in a living hell if you escape your life like that.

That was the Valentine's weekend like, this end. Trying to make sense of the happening, and checking with the neighbours if they were alright. A lot of them are still in shock.

Anyway, NEVER give up. Not that you do not know that, but this incident makes it essential for me to say this to all men again.

Last edited by Turbohot; 16 February 2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 16 February 2015, 01:08 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Not that i'm in whitby now but we had one on sunday trying to jump of the main bridge and main road he never did.The cliffs in whitby have had many jumps, now they have put up stickers saying oh just before you end your life call us please samaritans.Sometimes it works but if you want to end your life you will just do that.

Ain't you full of beans today miss swati
Old 16 February 2015, 01:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
Ain't you full of beans today miss swati
Hey, Jamie. There are many suicidal people all over. Either we keep our eyes shut to this fact, or we acknowledge it. This place has had morbid threads before, so this one won't stand out much. This one is for the awareness.
Old 16 February 2015, 01:39 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Not saying it was morbid
Old 16 February 2015, 01:48 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Turbohot
We have had a suicide of a young male neighbour bang in the middle of our locality over the weekend, so one can imagine what it must have been like for everyone our little village.

I suggest to all men here (as this place has a majority of men) that as the suicide rate in the UK is very high among men in general, that if ever, please do not bottle it up. Instead get help. Talk to your family and friends, see your doctor and access therapies- anything. May your reasons be physical, practical or emotional to feel so low, don't let your low moods beat you. Your life is too precious, and things do get better of you give them time. You leave your family, friends and many other people surviving in a living hell if you escape your life like that.

That was the Valentine's weekend like, this end. Trying to make sense of the happening, and checking with the neighbours if they were alright. A lot of them are still in shock.

Anyway, NEVER give up. Not that you do not know that, but this incident makes it essential for me to say this to all men again.

Good call there mate. We're all programmed to just get on with life, but not everybody's that thick. What harm can talking do?
Old 16 February 2015, 01:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A classmate of my daughters, only last week threw himself under a train

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Fune...ail/story.html
Old 16 February 2015, 01:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Good call there mate. We're all programmed to just get on with life, but not everybody's that thick. What harm can talking do?
Correct, Alan. No harm. They must talk if something is bothering them. Macho sayings such as 'Boys don't cry' or 'you're a flippin' puddy cat if you whinge' etc. don't help at all. They're worthless masculine conditions of worth. Boys should cry, if they need to. It's no good letting something just build up and up, and then giving the precious life up like that.
Old 16 February 2015, 02:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
A classmate of my daughters, only last week threw himself under a train

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Fune...ail/story.html

Very unfortunate, hodgy.

In this day and age, a lot of children in general as young as 12 and younger are depressed and even suicidal these days. Many children as young as 12 have attempted suicide already, and some are regularly self-harming to cope with the pressure they're under. Factors can be any, many or all (may they be situational, genetic/biological/physiological, psychological or environmental), but one of the things with males is that they find it difficult to share their troubles among their settings, and if they do, they're told to man up. This starts for them from a very young age, and continues throughout their life.

There should be more Government funded early intervention and prevention measures for mental illness/mental distress, but we, as a society, can help as well, rather than waiting for any other help until it's too late for many. With this high rate of male suicide in the UK, whole society needs to be warned and change the attitude towards what's excepted from/of a man. We need to encourage men to be humans rather than continue to condition them as 'hard men', accept that to ourselves and hearten them to accept it to themselves.
Old 16 February 2015, 10:50 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, Alan. No harm. They must talk if something is bothering them. Macho sayings such as 'Boys don't cry' or 'you're a flippin' puddy cat if you whinge' etc. don't help at all. They're worthless masculine conditions of worth. Boys should cry, if they need to. It's no good letting something just build up and up, and then giving the precious life up like that.
Well said.

Some people can sail through life, genuinely never seeming bothered by what life throws at them, and that is fine, but not everyone is made that way, and there is no shame in that, man or woman. Men should feel free to talk about problems as you say, without fear of what you mention above.

As much as I feel the last part is important, I also feel that those who fit into the former group should not make others feel they are a lesser person if they can't do that, which sadly happens. Maybe better use that 'strength' to support those who need it, rather than belittle or criticise.
Old 16 February 2015, 10:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Macho sayings such as 'Boys don't cry' .
Lol, I cry at the drop of a hat

In fact my wife often says to me, if we are discussing somthing vaguely emotional - often a happy emotional story, usually children involved

"Are you crying"

At which my eldest children start laughing at me

I can cry just listening to music lol
Old 16 February 2015, 11:30 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fact my wife often says to me, if we are discussing somthing vaguely emotional - often a happy emotional story, usually children involved

"Are you crying"

You sound very much like me, takes very little to set me off. Not a problem being emotionally charged until I get mad, then the tears come then as well.

Possibly strangely though, I very rarely open up to anyone about me stuff, talking wise.
Old 16 February 2015, 11:34 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Talk people, I'm burying one cousin on Wednesday and another on Saturday due to suicide. Brings the total to 5 of my family who've departed this way in 2 years.
Old 17 February 2015, 01:37 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

"Are you crying"

Good on you, hodgy. Express it if you feel it.

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
You sound very much like me, takes very little to set me off. Not a problem being emotionally charged until I get mad, then the tears come then as well.

Possibly strangely though, I very rarely open up to anyone about me stuff, talking wise.
Crying itself is an outlet, so good on you for getting emotional over the things that move you, Lisa. As long as the filling up or crying is not excessive i.e. all the time or most times, it's good to cry. Females are found to be generally more expressive than men with their crying and talking. They seem to access mental health provisions more than males, that's because they have the ability to share their troubles with the professionals. They are differently conditioned to men.

Quite rightly we remain the in-charge of our own, personal stuff, and we will be selective of the people who we open up to. We may rightfully decide not to ever open up about everything. However, if that personal stuff is causing us unbearable emotional pain, it's a good idea to talk it through with someone that we can trust.

A lot of people prefer a complete stranger to open up to, who won't judge them, won't spread their stuff among others, won't ridicule them for their troubles and be there for them at the other end of the phone line. Organisation like CALM, HOPEline (both targeted to young men), Samaritans, Mind (both for anyone) etc. have trained listeners, and it doesn't even cost more than a phone call max. People need to use all that to talk about what's troubling them.

Originally Posted by piehole1983
Talk people, I'm burying one cousin on Wednesday and another on Saturday due to suicide. Brings the total to 5 of my family who've departed this way in 2 years.
Very sorry to hear about your losses to suicide, piehole1983. Yes, talking is important. No one has to suffer in silence.
Old 17 February 2015, 01:54 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
we had one on sunday trying to jump of the main bridge and main road he never did.
Glad that he didn't jump. If you ever see him, congratulate him for facing up to the life rather than giving it up, Jamie.

There's a guy who has written about his experience of jumping off from some serious height with the intention to die. He writes that half way through the jump he wanted to go against the gravity and be pulled back to the platform of life he was leaving behind. He did hit the ground very hard, broke himself quite badly but miraculously survived to pen down his experience. Apparently his story has made a lot of suicidal people think again.
Old 17 February 2015, 08:10 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

https://www.thecalmzone.net/
Old 17 February 2015, 10:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by piehole1983
5 that's crazy, Why?
Old 17 February 2015, 10:51 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
5 that's crazy, Why?
The first one, I've no explanation for as the details of letter left behind was kept secret by her daughter. The rest bar one were a result of the first one happening right up until yesterday morning. It's literally been a case of them killing themselves because they can't live with the previous suicide. The one on its own was an illness that couldn't be cured and they needed a fair amount of care. They thought it would be less of a burden if they were gone, and so they departed. This is what was in the letter left behind.

I was at 3 funerals in 2 weeks when that started in 2012 and now I've got 1 tomorrow of a 45 year old father of 3 and another on Saturday of a 21 year old girl, who's father killed himself in 2012 (it was his birthday on Sunday). We can only assume that's why she did it.
Old 17 February 2015, 10:55 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Good thread Lady.

I know my trade farming has lots of suicides, and l suspect that can extend to all small business with no exceptions being made to any walk of life but I see quite often on telly people talking about lives being lost as a result of social media.
I do wounder if it's getting worse, it should be getting better with people having access to so many others and information although it would seem rather than taking the opportunity of using the net to save lives is used to bully.
Old 17 February 2015, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There should be more Government funded early intervention and prevention measures for mental illness/mental distress, but we, as a society, can help as well, rather than waiting for any other help until it's too late for many. With this high rate of male suicide in the UK, whole society needs to be warned and change the attitude towards what's excepted from/of a man. We need to encourage men to be humans rather than continue to condition them as 'hard men', accept that to ourselves and hearten them to accept it to themselves.
I agree - the level of mental health care and support in the UK is attrocious. Especially adults. Kids seem to get fairly good support once they get on the radar, but to get on the radar usually require a drastic action to get someones attention - suicide being one.

Adults support in many areas is lacking - not suicide in itself, but the in underlying mental health problems that often lead up to it.

Whilst we have a NHS that pays for cosmetic sugery, gastric bands for fatties and pumps out binge drinkers everyweekend we can easily see where money is spent and taking presidence to proper mental health care.
Old 17 February 2015, 07:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
I know my trade farming has lots of suicides

Yes. Researchers put down the presence of psychiatric disorder (mainly a depressive one), relationship problems, isolation, occupational difficulties, physical illness etc. as the reasons for this. Easy access to the methods is classed as an enabling factor.

Basically, suicide attempter or a doer is taken as someone as a psychiatric disorder patient, because the thought is that no people with right mind make an attempt to kill themselves or kill themselves. What's thought is that people with right mind know how to cope. Even just the suicide contemplators can have a psychiatric disorder label pasted on their head. I disagree with that. Instead, I'd say that no one 'in' right mind does suicide. 'With' has a sense of permanency, and yes, 'with' cases do exist, and they may be at the risk forever and under psychiatric radar for the rest of their life. 'In' cases have a potential to change, if they're still just about surviving. These 'in' cases also exist. Not every farmer is suffering from a psychiatric disorder to be depressed. Most regular people with 'right mind' will experience a quake beneath their feet if they are affected with the reasons stated above. If these reasons are well-attended and helped with, there's a strong possibility to prevent suicides not just with the 'in' ones but also with the 'with' ones. That's regardless of the access to any methods of doing a suicide. But in order to get the reasons attended and helped with, one needs to start talking.

Farmers suicide rates are the highest of any occupation all over the world:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/terezi...b_5610279.html

From the link above:

In the U.S. the rate of farmer suicides is just under two times that of the general population. In the U.K. one farmer a week commits suicide. In China, farmers are killing themselves daily to protest the government taking over their prime agricultural lands for urbanization. In France, a farmer dies by suicide every two days. Australia reports one farmer suicides every four days. India yearly reports more than 17,627 farmer suicides. -- Newsweek 2014
This article mentions of YANA and FCN that can help depressed UK farmers and their families.
Old 17 February 2015, 07:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I agree - the level of mental health care and support in the UK is attrocious. Especially adults. Kids seem to get fairly good support once they get on the radar, but to get on the radar usually require a drastic action to get someones attention - suicide being one.

Adults support in many areas is lacking - not suicide in itself, but the in underlying mental health problems that often lead up to it.
Sure.

Whilst we have a NHS that pays for cosmetic sugery, gastric bands for fatties and pumps out binge drinkers everyweekend we can easily see where money is spent and taking presidence to proper mental health care.
I agree, and meanwhile the things improve with NHS, what the society can do is start changing its attitude towards this 'behaviour' norms for men. Yes, the ones with organic MH issues, males or females, will still need medical and psychiatric attention, but society and the affected group itself can encourage human behaviour in men rather than conditioning males to have tight-lipped, hard-faced and least emotional robo-human behaviour. 'Robo' is to denote a robot. Logic is all good, but it's a logic fail when one goes ahead and kills oneself, leaving devastated people behind; to suffer until they live.
Old 17 February 2015, 07:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

17 thousand ...?

Really ??
Old 17 February 2015, 08:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
17 thousand ...?

Really ??
Apparently 19,000 in 2010.

Apparently 14,000 in 2011.

If one moves further and back a bit, and takes the account of the annual stats for those years and gets an average, over 17,000 might be just about right.

A BBC link related to the problem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21077458
Old 17 February 2015, 08:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

i guess its been a tough few years ,

are they forced to buy gm ? ...

its still banned in Zimbabwe
Old 17 February 2015, 10:30 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

Its a horrible thing suicide more so for the ones left behind.

I am from a small town called Fort William and it seems like its a monthly occurrence for someone I know that has decided the only way out is to commit suicide, its a horrendous situation for any family and friends to deal with.

I have a funeral on Friday to attend for the most recent one, my best mates little cousin and the whole family is in bits over it.
Old 17 February 2015, 10:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thats not Aberdeenshire , is it
Old 17 February 2015, 10:49 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Thats not Aberdeenshire , is it
I live in Aberdeenshire now but I am from Fort William
Old 17 February 2015, 11:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Oh i see, iv only been once when my gran lived in Kilmacolm , probably mid seventies

On our way to Mallaig , awesome

Sorry for your losses

Last edited by dpb; 18 February 2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 18 February 2015, 12:16 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Well l once spoke to a psychiatrist (my mum) and we were talking about people committing suicide. l had said something along the lines of them being weak minded to which see replied by saying, " it can take a huge amount of strength to realise that ending your life is a effective way of ending the pain".
I then said what the hell are you on about for her to say that "who do you think the mad one is, the person living in pain or the person who ends the pain".

It's just my mum putting another spin on things and she is in no way saying taking your life is the answer, but there has been, and will be those of sound mind who take their lives.

(Euthanasia)

Farming on the other hand is mostly due to overload. Farmers often work about 80/90 even more hours a week, and it's that relentless pressure of having to perform 7 days a week with no rest for years some times that does it. Most people get a day off or a weekend to recharge but having the water torture treatment can make your mind explode. It's important to be able to put your troubles to one side for even a short time and free your mind from it all, it's when you're unable to give your mind a rest it goes wrong.
Old 18 February 2015, 12:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's the key, to free your mind

Nothing is that important

Quick Reply: Suicide in Men- Don't bottle it up