Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

driverless cars

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2015, 11:02 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default driverless cars

Just not sure about this.Think it will cost a lot of jobs too ignoring all the other variables
Old 11 February 2015, 11:06 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Just not sure about this.Think it will cost a lot of jobs too ignoring all the other variables
Who knows what time will bring but l would of thought it would be for motorways and would still need a human for B roads etc.
Old 11 February 2015, 11:39 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I can't see it costing too many jobs. Roads need to be built and maintained, cars - whether they are driverless or not, still need to be manufactured and maintained. Might lose a few more traffic cops I suppose
I don't think you will ever see PSV's running driverless without being on a track or other guided roadway, similar for HGV's too IMO.
As for driverless cars, who with an interest in driving would have one? Not I.
Doubtless there will be a chunk of the driving populace who would elect for an easy ride, and as said motorways are a prime candidate for auto driven cars.

Of course it could be made compulsory that we all give up our licences
Old 11 February 2015, 11:48 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if you can get in the car drunk if the car is driving? Supposedly the intelligence system needs work as it cant tell the difference between a rock or a plastic bag so it will drive around both
Old 11 February 2015, 11:53 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I wonder if you can get in the car drunk if the car is driving? Supposedly the intelligence system needs work as it cant tell the difference between a rock or a plastic bag so it will drive around both
If the intelligence system is reworked to enable the car to differentiate between a rock and a bag, how would it cope with a rock in a bag?
Old 11 February 2015, 01:14 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These things will last only until one of them kills a cyclist, drives over a pedestrian or rams another car
Old 11 February 2015, 01:32 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I think we can agree they'll have a few problems.
Off the top of my head..

If you're not driving, can you get on with the being that is? would you argue about road manners like you do with the Missus?
Would you trust it to keep its mouth shut when you take your secretary out in it for a spot of afternoon outsourcing?
What happens if you see a mate and want to nip over for a chat? Would you have to sort its navigation out pronto?
Would it let you park just anywhere like you do now? and run over the Warden's foot when he gets lippy?
Would it clean and polish itself? or throw a wobbly when it's full of lager cans and McDonalds wrappers?
I see they've got them out looking like something Mike Myers would drive. How would you know which one is yours?
What if the Missus finds out about your secretary and goes after you, could it avoid a deliberate ramming?

We need to be told..
Old 11 February 2015, 01:38 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it's common knowledge but trucks have already been out and about on European roads (Germany l think) that are driverless.
At a guess l would of thought that it will allow one man to do more miles, ie the driver has a sleep or break while still covering ground so has the potential for a few of them to compensate for one drivers work buy uping the work load of others hence putting a human out of work.
I would of thought that balance would be met elsewhere though, people to fix them or service them maybe.
Old 11 February 2015, 01:41 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Defiantly not for me thanks. Cruise control was handy on quiet motorways (which is what I had in my old car) but useless on busy motorways and anything else. I don't particularly miss it either has I hardly drive on motorways anyway.

I can't imagine completely driverless cars on smaller A-B roads? Surely it would be motorways only?

Last edited by LSherratt; 11 February 2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11 February 2015, 02:13 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Defiantly not for me thanks. Cruise control was handy on quiet motorways (which is what I had in my old car) but useless on busy motorways and anything else. I don't particularly miss it either has I hardly drive on motorways anyway.

I can't imagine completely driverless cars on smaller A-B roads? Surely it would be motorways only?
Have you tried radar guided cruise control?
Old 11 February 2015, 02:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

More to the point, presumably, driverless cars will mean no more speeding or other traffic offences, how will the Police make up for the lost revenue?
Old 11 February 2015, 04:04 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Swearing in public, fly-tipping, smoking, bad hair, poor choice of clothing. I'm sure they'll find something............

Wall-E probably won't be far wide of the mark tbh.
Old 11 February 2015, 09:13 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Have you tried radar guided cruise control?
No, never even knew something like that existed. I assume it automatically slows you down when it detects a car in front etc? If so then that's actually pretty handy because that's what I hated most about standard cruise control.
Old 11 February 2015, 09:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Who is responsible in an accident, the car maker, software developer, optics designer

You? - even if you are just a passenger, as you are in a bus, taxi etc
Old 12 February 2015, 03:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't see any they'll be enough of them...

Must be some sharing involved, in which case what's missing over a BUS , other than the driver
Old 12 February 2015, 03:37 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
I can't see any they'll be enough of them...

Must be some sharing involved, in which case what's missing over a BUS , other than the driver
No Driver-That would be a plus point to many.

I can see certain benefits, vehicles could lock into convoys on longer journeys. All vehicles would move off from traffic lights simultaneously eliminating lag and therefore congestion. There will many years of further development, but also the human condition of wanting to have control is going to keep rearing it's head.
Old 12 February 2015, 04:02 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
No Driver-That would be a plus point to many.

I can see certain benefits, vehicles could lock into convoys on longer journeys. All vehicles would move off from traffic lights simultaneously eliminating lag and therefore congestion. There will many years of further development, but also the human condition of wanting to have control is going to keep rearing it's head.
Think we really are moving towards Terminator.Funny how so many movies have got it right.machines taking over
Old 12 February 2015, 04:16 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

The talk is about GPS mapping.
This might work if ALL vehicles were equipped AND the mapping was accurate AND all vehicles had laser sensors for 360 degree coverage.

Tell me what happens when one of these deathtraps comes round a corner on a rural road at 60mph and there is a deer in the road?

Or when Thames Water have setup some temporary roadworks and haven't filed the correct paperwork for that day.

And pedestrian crossings?

Bottom line is these things will potter about in confined spaces at 15mph and p~ss everyone off, including those stuck inside them.
Old 12 February 2015, 04:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by c_maguire
This might work if ALL vehicles were equipped AND the mapping was accurate AND all vehicles had laser sensors for 360 degree coverage.

Tell me what happens when one of these deathtraps comes round a corner on a rural road at 60mph and there is a deer in the road?

Or when Thames Water have setup some temporary roadworks and haven't filed the correct paperwork for that day.

Bottom line is these things will potter about in confined spaces at 15mph and p~ss everyone off, including those stuck inside them.
They will become the norm. For safety I believe that the 360° scanning will be able to interpolate collision, braking steering will react quicker than an average driver.

It was quite a few years ago that a bmw went round the top gear circuit as fast as any driven car.

The technology will develop to such a level that people will accept it, it's only a matter of when!
Old 12 February 2015, 05:37 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

But deer aren't always already in the road, the just appear from nowhere and suddenly they are there. I hit one two years back and I don't care how clever the machine might have been the impact was unavoidable, even if the vehicle had stopped absolutely dead, which it physically can't. Children jumping out from behind busses or cars would get a similar clout, and like the deer, they would die.

As I mentioned earlier, these things will be in favour up to the point they kill someone, then they will be gone again.
Old 12 February 2015, 05:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Deer are right c**ts!
Old 12 February 2015, 06:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
But deer aren't always already in the road, the just appear from nowhere and suddenly they are there. I hit one two years back and I don't care how clever the machine might have been the impact was unavoidable, even if the vehicle had stopped absolutely dead, which it physically can't. Children jumping out from behind busses or cars would get a similar clout, and like the deer, they would die.

As I mentioned earlier, these things will be in favour up to the point they kill someone, then they will be gone again.
Accidents will happen, nothing is infallible. But there will be all the necessary information as to what exactly happened stored.
Old 12 February 2015, 06:59 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

This nonsence is at least decades away from being mainstream. The fact a car has lapped the Top Gear track as fast as a human driver is irrelevant, let's see the same car getting through a town with all the variables involved.

Change the deer. Now we are in the town centre travelling at 20mph. A child runs into the road from the left, there are people and street furniture on the pavement and there is a car travelling in the opposite direction. Stopping quick enough to avoid a collision is not possible. What does the 'magic' car do? Mow down the kid, mount the pavement or crash into the oncoming vehicle?

The company/people who sell/design these vehicles will be sued out of existance at the first sign of trouble. Or the state will when they have to insure the exercise because no-one else will.

This is a pointless idea on every level.
Old 12 February 2015, 07:05 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

This nonsence is at least decades away from being mainstream. The fact a car has lapped the Top Gear track as fast as a human driver is irrelevant, let's see the same car getting through a town with all the variables involved.

Change the deer. Now we are in the town centre travelling at 20mph. A child runs into the road from the left, there are people and street furniture on the pavement and there is a car travelling in the opposite direction. Stopping quick enough to avoid a collision is not possible. What does the 'magic' car do? Mow down the kid, mount the pavement or crash into the oncoming vehicle?

The company/people who sell/design these vehicles will be sued out of existance at the first sign of trouble. Or the state will when they have to insure the exercise because no-one else will.

This is a pointless idea on every level.
The scenario in town would probably lead to an collision either with a driver or not. The party at fault is the child regrettably. Data will be recorded as to what happened. The auto vehicle be adhering to all the required speed and safety protocols. Safer environment for the majority. Given the pace of tech , I doubt this is decades away.
Old 12 February 2015, 07:09 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

No,cars should always be ready to brake and driving at the appropriate speed.Children are children

Driver/driverless car at fault
Old 12 February 2015, 07:35 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

The scenario in town would probably lead to an collision either with a driver or not. The party at fault is the child regrettably. Data will be recorded as to what happened. The auto vehicle be adhering to all the required speed and safety protocols. Safer environment for the majority. Given the pace of tech , I doubt this is decades away.
Data recorded? Regrettable? If a human driver mows down a child that jumps out into the road, the child is most likely killed and the driver is reduced to a mental wreck, probably forever. Sympathy goes to the parents, the lost child of course but also to the shattered driver. How would we feel if a supposedly infallible robot car killed the child though? I can imagine the sledgehammers coming out.
Old 12 February 2015, 07:40 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Data recorded? Regrettable? If a human driver mows down a child that jumps out into the road, the child is most likely killed and the driver is reduced to a mental wreck, probably forever. Sympathy goes to the parents, the lost child of course but also to the shattered driver. How would we feel if a supposedly infallible robot car killed the child though? I can imagine the sledgehammers coming out.
Nothing is infallible. Do you ride in lifts or only walk upstairs? Many people use lifts everyday and have embraced non human tech. Rarely accidents happen but people still continue to use lifts. It will be the same for driverless vehicles
Old 12 February 2015, 07:56 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

There's already lots of cars out there on the roads of the uk that will break much faster than a human can if a deer or child jumps out it the road. Don't quote me but l think NCAP already test for it and have done for a while.

But the town arguments are probably best left for another day, the technology of "driverless" will be first used on motorways. I should think that you will get yourself onto the motorway, and much the same as cruise control now you will push a button and off you go.

Right now as I've said we already have and use the technology on uk roads. Radar cruise control, automatic breaking systems, and the same space awareness technology that is used in auto park like is seen in things like even KIAs will all be setup to work together.

They could do it tomorrow I'm sure, it's just a case of test test and more tests.
And it will be safer than letting x amount of people have control. I'm not a big fan of tech and no doubt it can go wrong but it won't go wrong as often as people do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ems-rated.html
Old 12 February 2015, 08:07 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Nothing is infallible. Do you ride in lifts or only walk upstairs? Many people use lifts everyday and have embraced non human tech. Rarely accidents happen but people still continue to use lifts. It will be the same for driverless vehicles

Lifts and moving staircases are machines, not robots. They only go up or down and they are stuffed with safety features. Complex robots are employed of course, and many are used in car construction. But they operate within very tight parameters and don't go wandering around the workspace by themselves looking for something to do. Driverless cars would be an entirely different type of robot. Unconstrained, they would be construed as having a will of their own. They and their manufacturers rightly would be held responsible for any deaths or serious accidents that they were involved in.
Old 12 February 2015, 08:16 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

For a petrol head, driverless cars are like sex without actually doing any pumping or ejaculating! 'Taint happening!

Quick Reply: driverless cars