Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSBC. The bank of cheats.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-hide-millions
Old 08 February 2015, 11:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Cue the usual mob to tell us all why the bankers are so wonderful and we shouldn't get on their case
Old 09 February 2015, 07:20 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I rate them (the banks) the same as politicians, and hats not very high. Just another corrupt industry TBH.
Old 09 February 2015, 08:03 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why this is news.

Is it designed to stoke some 'blame the bankers' sentiment again just before Bonus season?
Old 09 February 2015, 08:14 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I rate them (the banks) the same as politicians, and hats not very high. Just another corrupt industry TBH.
As above
Pretty much my feelings. you make a mistake, you pay, they make a mistake you pay.
Old 09 February 2015, 08:31 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
I don't understand why this is news.

Is it designed to stoke some 'blame the bankers' sentiment again just before Bonus season?
Why do you consider it unnewsworthy?
Old 09 February 2015, 08:45 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Is it telling you something you don't already know? If not, it's not news.
Old 09 February 2015, 09:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
Why do you consider it unnewsworthy?
He works in banking?
Old 09 February 2015, 09:13 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Cue the usual mob to tell us all why the bankers are so wonderful and we shouldn't get on their case
Well it is about the only industry we have left (well that and computing), so we probably should cut them some slack.
Old 09 February 2015, 10:39 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

No, I think that you should get on their case. What is wrong is tarring all people who work for banks with the same brush, or saying that no one who works for a bank should get rewarded because of the actions of a few rogue elements.
Old 09 February 2015, 10:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
No, I think that you should get on their case. What is wrong is tarring all people who work for banks with the same brush, or saying that no one who works for a bank should get rewarded because of the actions of a few rogue elements.
Have I done that? Er.... No!

I am referring to a certain number of posters on here who seem to find ways to justify the banking system's actions no matter what they get up to.

The global financial crisis was in no way just the banks' fault, but they sure played their part. Something that certain high level bankers still seem unable to accept.
Old 09 February 2015, 10:51 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I love the press. The way they mix evasion with avoidance.

Tax evasion=illegal

Tax avoidance=legal

The latter was created by government to entice business in the Uk
Old 09 February 2015, 10:55 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

These were the actions of bankers in Switzerland back in 2005-2007 and details a list of tax evaders in a number of European countries that the Swiss facilitated. I assume the tax dodgers needed a more sophisticated system than say bartering for example to evade the payment of tax (hypothetically speaking of course. )
Old 09 February 2015, 11:06 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

He works in banking?
As it happens, I work in the finance industry but I'm just a lackey. This kind of banking has no effect on me financially.

My point though is if say a politician was caught lying or going back in their policy promise, would it be news?! We all know this is what goes on, and nothing will come of attempts to infiltrate the system. One or two people will be arrested (maybe) and nothing will change. To say it isn't news was perhaps an exaggeration, but I don't think it's anywhere near as newsworthy as it's being made out to be, certainly not lead story.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 09 February 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09 February 2015, 11:14 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Have I done that? Er.... No!

I am referring to a certain number of posters on here who seem to find ways to justify the banking system's actions no matter what they get up to.

The global financial crisis was in no way just the banks' fault, but they sure played their part. Something that certain high level bankers still seem unable to accept.
Sorry, I wasn't saying that you were, I just happened to quote your message as a more general thing because some people just say anyone who works for a bank is fiddling this and that etc, as I found out at the pub the other night......
Old 09 February 2015, 11:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

To say it isn't news was perhaps an exaggeration, but I don't think it's anywhere near as newsworthy as it's being made out to be, certainly not lead story.
Fair comment, maybe no football managers had been sacked yesterday
Old 09 February 2015, 11:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Sorry, I wasn't saying that you were, I just happened to quote your message as a more general thing because some people just say anyone who works for a bank is fiddling this and that etc, as I found out at the pub the other night......
No worries
Old 09 February 2015, 11:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
These were the actions of bankers in Switzerland back in 2005-2007 and details a list of tax evaders in a number of European countries that the Swiss facilitated. I assume the tax dodgers needed a more sophisticated system than say bartering for example to evade the payment of tax (hypothetically speaking of course. )
What are you implying there exactly? Serious question btw. Like zip106 the other day, I don't take kindly to inferences about my not paying my fair share of tax so let's hope that wasn't what you meant.
Old 09 February 2015, 11:36 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Apple probably bank with them.
Old 09 February 2015, 11:44 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

TBH if there's a (legal) service available to you to avoid paying taxes, and you are responsible primarily to your shareholders, why wouldn't you take advantage of their services?!

I've not read the details of the SwissLeaks but is the implication that it is illegal activity going on? Or just clever avoidance.
Old 09 February 2015, 11:55 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've not read the details of the SwissLeaks but is the implication that it is illegal activity going on? Or just clever avoidance.
illegal - tax evasion
Old 09 February 2015, 12:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

TBH if there's a (legal) service available to you to avoid paying taxes, and you are responsible primarily to your shareholders, why wouldn't you take advantage of their services?!

The majority of these accounts will be legitimate. A minority will be hiding through evasion. What alot of people forget is that Swiss banks guarantee 100% of bank deposits not just the first £85K. So many rich people deposit for the safety alone. There is so much mis information banded around.
Old 09 February 2015, 12:24 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Isnt this what Accountants have done for years ?
Old 09 February 2015, 12:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Isnt this what Accountants have done for years ?
only bent ones
Old 09 February 2015, 12:27 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

What are you implying there exactly? Serious question btw. Like zip106 the other day, I don't take kindly to inferences about my not paying my fair share of tax so let's hope that wasn't what you meant.
Generally you don't take kindly to anything I say and take it as an affront to you personally, but just for clarity, I wasn't implying anything so no need to get so defensive. Batering was raised recently as a hypothetical question to avoid taxation, the Swiss helped people evade tax and therefore thought was relevent in a slightly humorus way hence the smiley. If you thought my comment was some how inscendary I can't help you as you, I and many others appreciate, we don't have to tread on eggshells when posting on this forum. If anyone questions your tax status, just point them to the bartering thread, job done!

So back to the topic, a few Swiss employees with slack governence in the Swiss banking arm of HSBC helps rich Europeans break local tax laws betweeb 2005-2007, but lets give the UK media and a few politicians a chance to politicise it during bonus season as the bankers are due for some more bashing.
Old 09 February 2015, 12:32 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

From my understanding they (HSBC) were complicit in advising and facilitating tax evasion. They weren't operating within the periphery of the law but well beyond it. One employee who questioned the practices was dismissed.
Old 09 February 2015, 12:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Generally you don't take kindly to anything I say and take it as an affront to you personally, but just for clarity, I wasn't implying anything so no need to get so defensive. Batering was raised recently as a hypothetical question to avoid taxation, the Swiss helped people evade tax and therefore thought was relevent in a slightly humorus way hence the smiley. If you thought my comment was some how inscendary I can't help you as you, I and many others appreciate, we don't have to tread on eggshells when posting on this forum. If anyone questions your tax status, just point them to the bartering thread, job done!
Not eggshells no, but equally just because it's a forum on the Internet you can't call someone a tax evader (or a racist or whatever) without some evidence to back that up.

Anyway I will take you on your word so no worries
Old 09 February 2015, 01:00 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

As it stands, there's criminal investigations in France, Belgium, US, Argentina and Switzerland. Currently 1000 (a seventh of the total) accounts are under investigation. There's questions being asked as to why HMRC seem to be slow to react.
Plus what the politicians actually knew over the period this was happening.
Old 09 February 2015, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz
As it stands, there's criminal investigations in France, Belgium, US, Argentina and Switzerland. Currently 1000 (a seventh of the total) accounts are under investigation. There's questions being asked as to why HMRC seem to be slow to react.
For a long time the UK was aware of this and was given lists of those with undeclared savings in Switzerland. The Labour government in power at the time did nothing.

Why has it taken until now for things to start going into swing.

Does Blair have undeclared investments in tax havens? It would explain alot....
Old 09 February 2015, 01:31 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
According to a Labour minister, they knew nothing of it when they were in power as these incidents only came to light in 2010, how convenient.

Quick Reply: HSBC. The bank of cheats.