Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Two near misses in ten seconds.........

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2015, 08:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Two near misses in ten seconds.........

Went out for fish suppers.

On the way home, I'm coming round a roundabout, turning right, lights on, indicating, when a biker pulled out from my left straight across me.

Had to stand the car on it's nose, so I hooted at him....only for the b@stard to give me the finger.

Then, waiting to turn right, traffic lets me across, there's cars waiting to come OUT of the road I'm turning into, and some kid, about 18, on a pushbike, biking along the pavement, straight out between the waiting cars and under my front wheels. AGAIN had to stamp on the brakes and how I missed him I'll never know......

But hey...the motorist would have been at fault for both........
Old 06 February 2015, 08:38 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

I hate cyclists of the machine and manual type.........kunts
Old 06 February 2015, 09:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We've got roundabout near here with 3 exits . Coming this way you stay in near side lane (marked on road ) for first exit and outside lane for straight on or all the way round , back where you've come

Couple weeks back some joker in vw van comes up near side lane and proceeds to go all the way round the outside across traffic , no indicators

Tosser
Old 07 February 2015, 11:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

'Twas the cyclist frightened me most.
He came from between two of a line of waiting cars, all with lights on, facing me.

How I stopped I just dunno.

My eldest would have sun round, or got out and chased him.
Old 07 February 2015, 08:13 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

This is why I drive with dash cams in all my vehicles.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:43 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a day driving in mk they are nutters.
Old 08 February 2015, 01:14 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Dick
Old 08 February 2015, 01:56 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Not all are ***** you **** the shreksta.
Old 08 February 2015, 02:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

But sadly, a larger percentage of both are worse and more arrogant drivers than most car drivers.

Yet they expect, and need, better driving from us........go figure.
Old 08 February 2015, 03:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

A 10 year old kid rode his bike at speed (downhill) straight out from a side turning right in front of my car. Unfortunately there was no way I could avoid hitting him. The bike went under the car but thank god he went over the bonnet and landed on the other side of the road. His bike was well mangled but luckily he just had a scratch on his leg. Whatever happened to cycling proficiency classes at school?
Old 08 February 2015, 04:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
A 10 year old kid rode his bike at speed (downhill) straight out from a side turning right in front of my car. Unfortunately there was no way I could avoid hitting him. The bike went under the car but thank god he went over the bonnet and landed on the other side of the road. His bike was well mangled but luckily he just had a scratch on his leg. Whatever happened to cycling proficiency classes at school?

Had the same happen to me.

Two kids on one BMX blasting down a steep hill on the wrong side of the road and crossing a junction I was turning into. In the split second that I caught them in the corner of my eye and put the anchors on, I saw them both disappear under the bonnet

Luckily they were were thrown away from the bike and out of my path so all that went under the car was the bike. Only damage was a scuff on my freshly painted bumper from the pedals.

They weren't hurt...barring their earholes ( I wasn't a happy chappy )....the bike had no brakes.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 February 2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08 February 2015, 04:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Do pushbikes come without brakes
Old 08 February 2015, 04:43 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Do pushbikes come without brakes
Professional track bikes.
Old 08 February 2015, 04:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ok , bikes sold to be used on the queens highway
Old 08 February 2015, 04:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lol

Not that I'm aware. Unless they've been 'modded' by retards... Or 'sabotaged'.
Old 08 February 2015, 07:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
They were phased out due to H&S, (yes, I'm not kidding...not enough QUALIFIED people to teach them.

And, of course, as bikes became ever more expensive and stealable, security, or lack of it at schools, led to less kids wanting to ride bikes.

And the last thing, kids won't ride a bike others laugh at: a sad testimony to the UK as it is, got to be designer, or nowt
Old 08 February 2015, 10:14 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Originally Posted by alcazar
But sadly, a larger percentage of both are worse and more arrogant drivers than most car drivers.

Yet they expect, and need, better driving from us........go figure.
Complete nonsense clearly written by two of you that have never ridden a motorcycle.

Yes, some bikers clearly should not be on the road, I sometimes shake my head in disbelief at the way some people ride, but they, we, are far more vulnerable than anyone driving a cage. We have to be vigilant and have to have total concentration at all times. In a car, if an animal, or pothole catches us out it is no great drama, but on a bike it can put you on the floor, let alone if someone in a car is daydreaming and pulls out in front of you, or is f*cking about with their stereo and wanders in to your lane.

I've had a woman pull out in front of me, not looking right, and as I've slammed my bikes brakes on she has turned around and seen me, and just stuck her tongue out and carried on pulling out, I've had someone not look in their mirror when I have been filtering in traffic, and they have gone to turn around, and I have had to slam on and ended up keeping myself upright by propping myself up against their drivers door with my knee, and I have had countless car drivers make me slam on, much like you have had to alcazar, although where it has just caused you mental grief by the sound of things, on a bike it hurts if you smack your bolox on the petrol tank.
Old 09 February 2015, 05:36 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bicycles are a nightmare because so many ride on the pavement, and without lights not just kids but adults. Ad a kid I got pulled by the police with a severe reprimand for riding on the pavement. Oh how times have changed.

Several times now when backing off the drive & concentrating on the road for oncoming vehicles a couple of cyclist have nearly run in me!

BTW I take it as they are not insured that one's own insurance would have to pay for any damage incurred, does anyone know the law on this one or had any experience?
Old 09 February 2015, 08:43 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington

Several times now when backing off the drive & concentrating on the road for oncoming vehicles a couple of cyclist have nearly run in me!

BTW I take it as they are not insured that one's own insurance would have to pay for any damage incurred, does anyone know the law on this one or had any experience?
I've got cycle insurance Tony so can't help I'm afraid.
Old 09 February 2015, 08:51 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Complete nonsense clearly written by two of you that have never ridden a motorcycle.

Yes, some bikers clearly should not be on the road, I sometimes shake my head in disbelief at the way some people ride, but they, we, are far more vulnerable than anyone driving a cage. We have to be vigilant and have to have total concentration at all times. In a car, if an animal, or pothole catches us out it is no great drama, but on a bike it can put you on the floor, let alone if someone in a car is daydreaming and pulls out in front of you, or is f*cking about with their stereo and wanders in to your lane.

I've had a woman pull out in front of me, not looking right, and as I've slammed my bikes brakes on she has turned around and seen me, and just stuck her tongue out and carried on pulling out, I've had someone not look in their mirror when I have been filtering in traffic, and they have gone to turn around, and I have had to slam on and ended up keeping myself upright by propping myself up against their drivers door with my knee, and I have had countless car drivers make me slam on, much like you have had to alcazar, although where it has just caused you mental grief by the sound of things, on a bike it hurts if you smack your bolox on the petrol tank.

To be honest, what do you expect to happen while filtering? Especially past commercial vehicles....

Had some bellend on a motorbike trying to filter at a junction when you can go straight on or left. I indicated left, checking mirrors etc as he cut across from behind me and tried to under take. He ran up the kerb and started giving me verbal. It is the cyclists and motorcyclists duty to take more care, as sometimes it is impossible to see you.

Or how about, wait in the ****ing queue like everyone else, then no one can pull out on you. ****ing idiots the lot of em.

, you are only visible for a split second on a commercial vehicle, even when checking blind spots etc. Especially down the off side. Yet some many idiots try and filter down the offside and complain when large vehicles don't see you....
Old 09 February 2015, 08:56 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

When I drive a car, I drive as if the worst will happen, and drive defensively as a result; a car will pop out of a sideroad, a pedestrian will step into the road between the cars, a car will pull out in front of me at that turning ahead.

From what I've seen of cyclists (in London anyway) their attitude is the complete opposite; absolutely zero effort is made to anticipate the unexpected, filtering through traffic at high speed, high speed past all side roads, near misses at pedestrian crossings, and of course jumping red lights.

THen they b!tch about road safety if 'one of their own' is run down.

They are their own worst enemy.
Old 09 February 2015, 09:39 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington

Reversing onto a road is illegal and extreme caution should be taken by the vehicle user. Priorty is given to the user's on the highway and off road vehicle has to wait for clear road before entering path or road. There is no insurance requirements, but I have cover through my cycling membership

Again complete intolerance to slow or stop for vulnerable road users
Old 09 February 2015, 09:48 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Reversing onto a road is illegal and extreme caution should be taken by the vehicle user. Priorty is given to the user's on the highway and off road vehicle has to wait for clear road before entering path or road. There is no insurance requirements, but I have cover through my cycling membership

Again complete intolerance to slow or stop for vulnerable road users
Behave, you're making stuff up.

Never reverse from a side road into a main road.

TRY to avoid reversing onto a road from a driveway, if possible reverse onto the driveway so as not to reverse out.
Old 09 February 2015, 10:01 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Behave, you're making stuff up.

Never reverse from a side road into a main road.

TRY to avoid reversing onto a road from a driveway, if possible reverse onto the driveway so as not to reverse out.
Highway code states you should reverse into your drive and leave forward. Construction and use legislation states you should not reverse on a road. If you were to have an accident whilst reversing out of your drive. You wouldn't stand an chance and all the blame would be on you. Same if you are hit from behind. The user behind is presumed at fault
Old 09 February 2015, 10:04 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Highway code states you should reverse into your drive and leave forward. Construction and use legislation states you should not reverse on a road. If you were to have an accident whilst reversing out of your drive. You wouldn't stand an chance and all the blame would be on you. Same if you are hit from behind. The user behind is presumed at fault
This is classic cyclist logic - completely disregard common sense that people don't all reverse onto drive ways, and quote the law if involved in an accident. Brilliant, thank you!
Old 09 February 2015, 10:08 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
This is classic cyclist logic - completely disregard common sense that people don't all reverse onto drive ways, and quote the law if involved in an accident. Brilliant, thank you!
So lazy behaviour mitigates ignorance of the rules of driving?
Old 09 February 2015, 10:33 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

So lazy behaviour mitigates ignorance of the rules of driving?
No, but good road sense should be applied, as with all modes of transport, something most cyclists choose to forget, or simply don't have.

If a car pulls out immediately in front of me, they may have been at fault but I still slow down or I'd be in the back of them, something easily avoided.

What good is saying "Told you so" if you're laying in a hospital, or worse.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 09 February 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09 February 2015, 10:44 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
No, but good road sense should be applied, as with all modes of transport, something most cyclists choose to forget, or simply don't have.

If a car pulls out immediately in front of me, they may have been at fault but I still slow down or I'd be in the back of them, something easily avoided.

What good is saying "Told you so" if you're laying in a hospital, or worse.
I dont apply told you so to my own riding. All other users are idiots is my mantra. I expect width and tolerance only. Riding a bike for several weeks will give anyone a better understanding of being a vulnerable road user, not just cyclist's
Old 09 February 2015, 10:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Too true
Old 09 February 2015, 10:57 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I dont apply told you so to my own riding
I don't doubt it, but from witnessing cyclist behaviour daily I sadly cannot say the same about London cyclists as a species.

Quick Reply: Two near misses in ten seconds.........