Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should British and American fighters...

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2015, 10:28 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should British and American fighters...

...be allowed to join the Kurds?
Old 30 January 2015, 10:30 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No whey!
Old 30 January 2015, 10:30 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Sharp!
Old 30 January 2015, 10:34 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Don't milk it.It would only churn up the problem.We could try buttering them up but only if we send in the cream.
Old 30 January 2015, 10:38 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
No whey!
That's milking it!
Old 30 January 2015, 10:44 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
No whey!
Genius!
Old 30 January 2015, 06:50 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Don't milk it.It would only churn up the problem.We could try buttering them up but only if we send in the cream.
lol, your on fire today!
Old 30 January 2015, 06:55 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...90140627860127
Old 31 January 2015, 05:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You bunch of Muffets!
Old 10 February 2015, 09:59 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd bump this thread as it could be interesting. I see there are fighters of different nationalities, faiths and backgrounds going out to stand with the Kurds. So again, it begs the question, should the UK government allow this and if so, should the fighters be allowed to return?

Last edited by JTaylor; 10 February 2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10 February 2015, 10:40 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Their feet aernt even touching the ground , are they ?
Old 10 February 2015, 10:55 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

The difference is whether UK nationals are fighting with a terrorist organisation such as ISIS which must be stopped and is illegal or supporting an already UK backed military force which is therefore perfectly fine.

What I suspect the UK Government doesn't like is UK nationals turning up and being trained by UK forces who are there to train and assist the Peshmerga. That gives the opportunity no matter how small the risk of media outlets having a presence there under the guise of them being there to join the cause. Of course training the Peshmerga is also a legitimate way for the UK Government to have a special forces unit on the ground in Iraq under the pretence of them being there purely in a support capacity.

Edited because my initial response was to say yes they should on the basis the Peshmerga aren't a terrorist organisation. However there is a very big difference between ex UK soldiers turning up to fight and say some spotty teenager who hasn't got a clue what they are doing. On that basis i'd change my response and say no it's not fine because there is no way of vetting who is fine to be there so I can understand there being a blanket ban on UK nationals being present who aren't there in an official military capacity.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 10 February 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10 February 2015, 12:22 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

So it's ok to kill Islamists, but not ok for Islamists to kill non-Islamists?
Old 10 February 2015, 01:25 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What are you on about? If you can't differentiate between someone joining a terrorist organisation and someone wanting to join a multi Government backed military operation fighting against those terrorists then you aren't worth the time in discussing such a topic.
Old 10 February 2015, 01:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you've some responsibility to attempt stopping ultra Islamic people killing anyone, just because they can
Old 10 February 2015, 01:51 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

And to add to my post above where i've said I don't believe it should be allowed is that it can also lead to the presence of mercenary groups being out there. The US has a long history of using such groups, Blackwater being a high profile one and it leads to nothing but trouble as they aren't bound by military conduct/rules/laws/Geneva Convention etc and therefore act outside of the law.
Old 10 February 2015, 01:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
What are you on about? If you can't differentiate between someone joining a terrorist organisation and someone wanting to join a multi Government backed military operation fighting against those terrorists then you aren't worth the time in discussing such a topic.
The Islamists don't consider themselves a terrorist organisation; they're attempting to establish a caliphate. Why is it illegitimate? Who's the arbiter?
Old 10 February 2015, 01:55 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Just read your edits and additions.
Old 10 February 2015, 02:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Blackwater being a high profile one and it leads to nothing but trouble as they aren't bound by military conduct/rules/laws/Geneva Convention etc and therefore act outside of the law.
yes, this was one of the most disturbing facets about the Iraq war - one that is rarely told - and in fact started a recent trend of "privatising" war

the use of private individuals, as you say, outside any judicial oversight, riding around in pickup trucks with M16's shooting up who ever they chose

the arbiters of life and death for many luckless Iraqi's

and now we have programmes like Operation "Gorgon Stare" operating "signature" strikes in Afghanistan from pilotless Drones, flown by people sitting in Kansas - where Artificial Intelligence(computers) can make the final choice between life and death - based on pre-programmed data

amazing to think only 20 years after the original Terminator movie
Old 10 February 2015, 03:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
The Islamists don't consider themselves a terrorist organisation; they're attempting to establish a caliphate. Why is it illegitimate? Who's the arbiter?
International law?
Old 10 February 2015, 04:22 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
yes, this was one of the most disturbing facets about the Iraq war - one that is rarely told - and in fact started a recent trend of "privatising" war

the use of private individuals, as you say, outside any judicial oversight, riding around in pickup trucks with M16's shooting up who ever they chose

the arbiters of life and death for many luckless Iraqi's

and now we have programmes like Operation "Gorgon Stare" operating "signature" strikes in Afghanistan from pilotless Drones, flown by people sitting in Kansas - where Artificial Intelligence(computers) can make the final choice between life and death - based on pre-programmed data

amazing to think only 20 years after the original Terminator movie
They were a law unto themselves in Iraq:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi...Blackwater_USA

They allegedly don't exist any more due to the rebranding and company takeover but there have been suggestions 'Blackwater' is operating in Ukraine since the Russian invasion.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 10 February 2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10 February 2015, 04:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
International law?
Islam's been around 1400 years, Geneva convention 150, why should the latter take precedent?
Old 10 February 2015, 04:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Islam's been around 1400 years, Geneva convention 150, why should the latter take precedent?
Do you really need me to answer that?
Old 10 February 2015, 05:04 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Do you really need me to answer that?
No, it was blatantly rhetorical, but these are the kind of questions I'd be asking if I were an Islamist: "Why shouldn't we seek to restore the caliphate"?
Old 10 February 2015, 05:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They were a law unto themselves in Iraq:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi...Blackwater_USA

They allegedly don't exist any more due to the rebranding and company takeover but there have been suggestions 'Blackwater' is operating in Ukraine since the Russian invasion.
yes, I posted on the sheer abhorrence of mercenaries on another thread

I quoted the famous photographer Don Mccullin (responsible for some of the most haunting images ever)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...r+don+mccullin

who whilst photographing white South African Mercenaries in the Biafran war, asked them "Why" - and they simply said "because they like killing blacks"

they really did unleash the "dogs of war" on the Iraqi people
Old 11 February 2015, 12:41 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

If a Christian went out there to defend Christianity and Christians, would he or she be an extremist?
Old 11 February 2015, 12:55 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

If a Christian went out there to defend Christianity and Christians, would he or she be an extremist?
OK you're just not getting the point are you?

Here's an example:

Scene A - Christian knocks on door holding a copy of the bible and a load of leaflets telling you about the coming of Christ and could talk the hind legs off a donkey. You shut the door saying no thanks and they walk off to the next house.

Scene B - Christian knocks on door holding a machete, an orange jumpsuit and a video camera. You open the door, say no thanks he comes in and cuts your head off and posts the footage on youtube telling the World about the coming of Christ.

Now which one of those would the majority of the World's population deem to be extremist?

It's not about what faith someone is it's about their actions in how they go about defending their faith. Brutally murdering innocent people as you rampage across 2 countries to setup a caliphate is not acceptable under any faith or any international laws.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 11 February 2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11 February 2015, 12:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Um, let me think.

Obviously, if they take extreme measures to defend their Christianity e.g. by flying planes into the mosques to demolish the buildings and to kill thousands of people, beheading non-Christians left right and in centre and kidnapping the live ones for ransom etc. and then killing them as well if their conditions aren't met.
Old 11 February 2015, 01:15 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

OK you're just not getting the point are you?

Here's an example:

Scene A - Christian knocks on door holding a copy of the bible and a load of leaflets telling you about the coming of Christ and could talk the hind legs off a donkey. You shut the door saying no thanks and they walk off to the next house.

Scene B - Christian knocks on door holding a machete, an orange jumpsuit and a video camera. You open the door, say no thanks he comes in and cuts your head off and posts the footage on youtube telling the World about the coming of Christ.

Now which one of those would the majority of the World's population deem to be extremist?

It's not about what faith someone is it's about their actions in how they go about defending their faith. Brutally murdering innocent people as you rampage across 2 countries to setup a caliphate is not acceptable under any faith or any international laws.
Are you sure? Upon what are you basing that assertion?
Old 11 February 2015, 01:29 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Um, let me think.

Obviously, if they take extreme measures to defend their Christianity e.g. by flying planes into the mosques to demolish the buildings and to kill thousands of people, beheading non-Christians left right and in centre and kidnapping the live ones for ransom etc. and then killing them as well if their conditions aren't met.
Did Christ set an example that would give a mandate for these kinds of measures?

Quick Reply: Should British and American fighters...