Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

best man speach

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2015, 08:17 PM
Matt3579
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best man speach

HELP!! iv got to do a bestman speech on sunday and im really stuck i know there are websites and trust me iv been on all of them, so far this is what iv got

Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. I would first like to thank you all for coming today and helping to make dean and kats day such a memorable and special occasion. Personally, I wish you'd all stayed at home and relieved me of my pre-public speaking anxiety ( got this one of one of the websites)

what do i need to include, i dont want it to be too long as if im talking to more than 2 people i get nervous and iv been really stressed about this any help will be appreciated
Old 16 January 2015, 08:25 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could hand out some random keys to all the grooms mates and during your speech, ask that anyone with a spare key to the brides house hand them in and get all the lads to come up and hand them all over....

Might get a few laughs lol
Old 16 January 2015, 08:29 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Couple of things to remember, everyone there is on your side. Everyone gets nervous to some degree so try not to focus on it in a negative way. If your nervous you are normal, nothing wrong with it.

I have mild social anxienty, doc prescribed me slow release propranolol or something like that for when I have to do presentations or public speaking. It will take the edge off the nerves and prevents the vicious circle of being nervous turning into panic (because you are nervous!). Obviously non medicine treatment is better but there is no time for that as the wedding is so soon.
Old 16 January 2015, 08:46 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

A Pal of mine has done 4 best man speeches for four different grooms (he's a popular bloke), and has recently started blogging about it. Bear with me and I'll find a link for you.
Old 16 January 2015, 08:50 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Mention you shagged his missis , should get the party going
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

bestmanbeacon.com

If you tap it into Google aswell it'll show up his twitter, Facebook etc.

Think you'll find it helpful, hes a very clever chap!

I feel your pain with the speech, I have one to do for a wedding abroad in may, bricking it already.

Good luck
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Thank everyone for coming on your big day.

Compliment the bride and the bridesmaids, tell some amusing stories about the groom, but don't crucify him.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2015, 08:51 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've done one for a guy I'd not known that long; so I played on that aspect.
Everyone is rooting for you; it's a big thing to do but too many nerves do you no favours.
A couple of drinks (but not too many) helps too
Old 16 January 2015, 09:37 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gazney101
You could hand out some random keys to all the grooms mates and during your speech, ask that anyone with a spare key to the brides house hand them in and get all the lads to come up and hand them all over....

Might get a few laughs lol
Old 16 January 2015, 09:51 PM
Matt3579
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Mention you shagged his missis , should get the party going
lol i might avoid that one he is a black belt
Old 17 January 2015, 10:52 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's never as bad as you expect, I did one end of 2013 got quite a few laughs ..

Simple rule, be nice to the bride and **** to the groom and you'll win.
Old 17 January 2015, 12:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Couple of things to remember, everyone there is on your side. Everyone gets nervous to some degree so try not to focus on it in a negative way. If your nervous you are normal, nothing wrong with it.
This^^^

Just make a list and don't forget anyone when doing the thanks.

And on the day, make sure you have your flower/buttonhole, gift, whatever to take with you.
Old 17 January 2015, 06:40 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

I kept my short and to the point. Despite the Hollywood standard, most speeches are forgettable. I work in the industry and hear approximately 160 Best Man speeches a year. I couldn't recall a single one.

I just thanked the caterers, venue, staff and everyone for turning up. The only person that needed to know how much my best mate meant to me was/is my best mate. Not 200 extras. Took less than 5 minutes and I bagged a job off the back of it!

You'll be fine. No one in that room will be more nervous than the bride/groom or any Agoraphobic relatives that have been wheeled out for a day.
Old 17 January 2015, 07:57 PM
Captainfunbags
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 3 time 'Best Manner'

Can be very daunting I have to admit but as others have said people are rooting for you and a few drinks to take the edge off definitely helps.

Maybe involve some of his/your mates to contribute to the stories your telling so as to share the burden, I personally hate the internet 'gags' as they are pretty cliche and doesn't really have the personal touch of telling (embellishing) stories and scrapes you shared or witnessed plus if they are true stories reading something word for word doesn't have to be strictly adhered to.

Some possible ideas:

* Powerpoint presentation with embarrassing pictures/videos from years gone by
* Video messages from people who cant be there or even better from famous people, my mate is a mad Newcastle fan and the best man managed to get Peter Beardsley and Alan Shearer to wish him and his new wife all the best
* Get him and his wife up for a game of Mr & Mrs, minus the Mrs and test him on stuff he should know.

Whatever happens mate good luck and it will be down before you know it then you can enjoy the rest of the celebrations.

Last edited by Captainfunbags; 17 January 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 17 January 2015, 08:23 PM
Matt3579
Scooby Regular

right this is what iv got any comments?

Good afternoon everybody. Im Matt and i'm the best man.

I would like to thank you all for coming today and helping to make dean and Kats day such a memorable and special occasion. Personally, I wish you'd all stayed at home and relieved me of my public speaking anxiety.

I would like to start by reassuring everyone on Kats side what kind of guy Dean really is. Throughout the time i've known Dean I've been able to see that he truly is genuine, kind and abit of a smart **** but You get the idea... he’s alright

some of You may know that Dean and myself are electricians best ones around rye if anyone needs any work done btw which is how we met 2 years ago. i have tought him everything i know which took all morning, he still surprises me with his knowledge

id just like to take the chance to thank the vicor ( MEL ) for the service and the people of the castle for letting us use such a loverly place for such a special day, it wouldnt surprise me if dean walked around the castle with a crown on at some point today
id also like to take the chance to say the bride is looking stunning today aswell as the bridesmaids the ushers are looking pretty smart too

i wonder how many people ended up going to port lympne zoo

i Wish dean and kat the best of luck for the future and if you would all join me and raise a glass to the happy couple

Cheers

sit the f**k down and have some beer! (this line is a note to myself)
Old 17 January 2015, 10:37 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Good afternoon everybody. Im Matt and I have been gifted the honour of being Deans best man.

I along with kat and Dean would like to thank you all for coming today and make this such a memorable and special day. Personally, I wish you'd all stayed at home and relieved me of my public speaking anxiety.

I would like to start by reassuring "the in-laws" what kind of guy Dean really is. All the time i've known Dean I've been able to see that he truly is honest, genuine, kind and abit of a smart **** but You get the idea... he’s alright and lucky because he met Kat.

Some of You may know that Dean and myself are electricians best ones around and if anyone needs any work done btw we are almost as cheap as these suits. We met 2 years ago. I tought him everything he knows, I now know he can wire a plug on his own, he still surprises me with his knowledge he knew plug it in after he wired it and I never even showed him that.

id just like to take the chance to thank the vicor ( MEL ) for the service and the people of the castle for letting us use such a lovely place for such a special day, it wouldn't surprise me if dean walked around the castle with a crown on at some point today, as it probably cost a kings ransom.

id also like to take the time to say the bride and bridesmaids looked stunning today and even the ushers scrubbed up well.

Now without further a due I Wish Kat and Dean the very best of luck for the future and if you would all join me and raise a glass to the happy couple

Cheers

sit the f**k down and have some beer! (this line is a note to myself)

EFA ,,,,some may add or take out but always put the lady first,,,,, good luck It been 29 years since I did it for my brother but breath and talk slowly and you will be fine

Last edited by daviee; 17 January 2015 at 10:38 PM.