Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fallen for a scam

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2015, 05:01 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fallen for a scam

Just been reading this over on Pistonheads.

Originally Posted by tjob
Hello chaps,

Long story: I had an email enquiry from a guy wanting his M3 detailing, few emails back and forwards and his email signature had his Instagram and twitter, as you do I went on for a prod around to see what's what. Turns out he is a Forex trader (foreign exchange stock broker essentially), and offers managed accounts etc.

So after I said I wasn't willing to travel 200 miles to detail his car, conversation turned to his company and what could he do with just a couple hundred quid of mine in a managed account, letting him trade my cash and then I can withdraw at any point. Now I'm totally new to the stock market side of things, but he seemed to know what he was talking about, provided me proof of clients accounts he manages, print screens of him sending people money & visa versa. He gave me his address(es) and a photo of his driving licence. I dug far into his Twitter and facebook etc and everything tied up, so figured Id give it a go, and sent £350. Not a huge amount, but he stated this was his minimum account deposit and for me, it was a tester really to see if it's all legit, I would perhaps put more in ONCE he has proved he is worth it.

So, daily contact was fine, updating me on how he's made £80 for me, then £110 the next day, so I then asked if I could withdraw it. Bit of profit, and proves he can be trusted.

Turns out there was a 30 day minimum account period, funny, never told me that and it doesn't state that on the website, and I specifically asked if I could take money out as and when with no notice period.

Anyway, contact became scarce, I'd get a blunt reply '£1245', no details, just an account balance.

Got bored of being ignored and waited out the 30 days. No answer, got to 39 days and eventually he replies saying he's had a kid, bla bla, I can see that's all 'true' from his social media, but really I didn't care too much, he has my money and it takes 2 minutes to do a BACS transfer.

He then basically tells me it takes 6 days to withdraw the funds from his trading account, but given this was now somewhere around boxing day, all the 'working days' gave him time. money never arrived.

So the other day I just sent him a message saying I'll come collect cash from you, in London. He instantly replies giving some excuse, he'll transfer it etc. no sign of money. So this is when I did what I should of done from the start and really dig.

Although I already have his address, I can see where he has uploaded his Instagram photos from and they match his address, but I've found his parents on facebook, his dad's company and address, his mums cleaning business details, his previous employers details, a local car dealer who happen to have his car for sale there, and a whole load of other seemingly random, but useful information.

I decided to ring his dad, who was in shock when I explained the situation - he wasn't aware at all of this 'investment' company, and said he owed him a fair chunk of money but he would try get him to get in touch with me to explain himself. Apparently they hadn't spoken for months, he moved out and they haven't even seen their 1 week old grandchild yet. I apologise for getting him involved and that's that. But, quick check on Facebook and they were together on the 28th December and 10th december (at least then anyway, tagged together on Facebook), so I called him back and cornered him on this info. He told me to email him for any further communication. Won't be bothering. He did however tell me where he used to work etc, so he seemed to not really care what he told me, but still lied about some stuff...

So I called his previous employers, main dealer car garages x3, and a local bodyshop. Lads at the bodyshop didn't like him at all and gladly confirmed the number I had for him was correct and his only current number.

So the result of this is still that he has my £350 and although he's blocked me on all social media and phone, I can still see what he's posting (he's not the brightest spark)

So what would you do? I have his address which he freely gave me, and a load of other addresses related to him, but I'm not really wanting to knock on his door to find out who's where.

Do I just report this to the online fraud people?

Short story - Foolishly gave a random man £350 and he won't give it back but I now have a lot of totally random and pointless informtation about him to make me feel better about the situation*
Bloody scammers. Anyone remember the Hightee Buttzlaff thread over here? Maybe we could offer some help on the Pistonheads thread.
Old 07 January 2015, 05:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mugg
Old 07 January 2015, 05:31 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If you know his address I'd be tempted to post a formal letter offering him the chance to pay up, or you'll be taking legal action. Advise you have a record of all correspondence.
Old 07 January 2015, 05:40 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Well! Fancy trusting a BMW driver.

Old 07 January 2015, 05:45 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops
Old 07 January 2015, 06:58 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For £350 I'd be visiting and with a few lads too boot! I'd be requesting expenses too.
Old 07 January 2015, 07:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like how he says the scammer is not the brightest right at the end. Err look in the mirror.

Some people are so greedy and want to make fast easy money that they hand some random bloke a wad of cash, then start bleating when he does one.

Expensive lesson.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2015, 07:37 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Mugg
he should look more carefully at what he's doing.

Last edited by wrx300scooby; 07 January 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07 January 2015, 08:17 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Surely the emails etc they exchanged created some sort of contract so he has a recourse to chase the money back. I don't know the actual legalities on this but it sounds right to me lol.
Old 08 January 2015, 04:05 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I had this a couple of weeks ago.
A guy tried to scam for me a car deposit. Turns out the car wasnt his to sell, he managed to get a lot of information from the owner that had it advertised elsewhere & passed it off as his own.
Smelt a rat when he was pushing for a deposit & for it to be transferred into an account that wasnt "his"
Just strung him along for a bit but passed his information onto the original owner.
Desperate men do desperate things
Old 09 January 2015, 05:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I like how he says the scammer is not the brightest right at the end. Err look in the mirror.

Some people are so greedy and want to make fast easy money that they hand some random bloke a wad of cash, then start bleating when he does one.

Expensive lesson.
Sorry, but totally agree. Pure greed.