Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

small boiler recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2015, 09:13 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small boiler recommendations

Im looking to fit a gas boiler in my new garage extension with 2 rads and a sink. Any recommendations for a reasonable small boiler?
£6-700 ish
Old 05 January 2015, 09:25 PM
Scooby Senior

2 Rads, it won't modulate down enough. Can you not take a feed of the existing heating and run it into the garage? you can zone it so it's not on all the time
Old 06 January 2015, 06:32 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
2 Rads, it won't modulate down enough. Can you not take a feed of the existing heating and run it into the garage? you can zone it so it's not on all the time
That was my original plan but I didn't like running the pipes outside due to frost and its quite a complicated route. Considered a thermostat and timer which would turn on for five mins every hour or two so prevent freezing and a two zone system.
Do you mean the return water will be too hot and mess up the boiler? Won't it simply switch off more? Liked the idea of running hot water too which the boiler could do.
Any other good ideas?
Old 06 January 2015, 07:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you wanting to heat water your probably looking at a combi. Problem is most modern combi boilers have a minimum output of around 8Kw for the central heating. SO, yeah, it'll probably cycle, so won't be that efficient. Doubt it'll overheat, but it wouldn't be ideal.

Mines not too happy running the underfloor heating on its own...its about 6Kw loading. So boiler ramps up to 88degree pretty quick and causes it to shut down and start cyling. I've managed to adjust the anti-cycling timer and target temp differential in the installer menu and set teh timer do it only runs with teh rest of the heating to help counteract this. But either way I do have circumstances with a condesing boiler that isn't condensing because its running too hot (so much for underfloor heating being efficient ).

If you forget about instantly heating hot water and just go for a system boiler, then you can have a much smaller ouput boiler: I had a quick look on teh Worcester Bosch site and the Greenstar 12i system boiler has a minimum output of 3kW which would be about that of two large double convector rads (1000mmx500mm).

It could heat a hot water tank, but I'm guessing thats overkill for a garage.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 January 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06 January 2015, 11:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Run the pipes underground and put the thick Climaflex lagging on them. You can stop them freezing by having a frost stat and pipe stat so it fires the boiler and then shuts it off when the return reaches 20 degrees.

Having a boiler cycle is very bad for efficiency.

Ali, 2 words that should solve your problem if the rest of the system is sized properly. Weather compensation. You need to have the flow to be less than 55 degrees ideally for best efficiency.

The thing is, you have a Worcester. It has an aluminium heat exchanger. What does condensate do to an aluminium heat exchanger?
Old 07 January 2015, 06:45 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get some thermostat controlled electric wall heaters and then a under sink water heater for your hot water
Old 07 January 2015, 08:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 500

Ali, 2 words that should solve your problem if the rest of the system is sized properly. Weather compensation. You need to have the flow to be less than 55 degrees ideally for best efficiency.

The thing is, you have a Worcester. It has an aluminium heat exchanger. What does condensate do to an aluminium heat exchanger?
used to have weather compensation an aq6000. Sadly not multi zone which is required. And there is a pipe work and house layout issues that results some rooms being unacceptably cold, and makes it difficult to hydraulically separate without ripping up the entire downstairs flooring. Got a thread on this in DIY.

I used to have a glow worm energy saver 80 that lasted a less than 4yrs 3 of which it gave us Lots of grief, so am fully aware of what damage condensate does. Condensate rots steel in a matter of months - even when it's galvanised. Poor quality stainless has its issues too- especially if it's spot welded.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2015, 08:18 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

maybe look at underfloor heating?
Old 07 January 2015, 10:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mr-c...rs-659-2111000