Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Built in appliances - ovens etc.

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2014, 11:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built in appliances - ovens etc.

The last time I did a kitchen Stoves, Bosch, Neff, AEG and Miele were the top brands of built in oven etc.

Who makes the best appliances these days? Particularly built in ovens and microwaves?
Old 20 December 2014, 11:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Mods, can you move this to NSR, I was having a senior moment
Old 21 December 2014, 12:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Muppet

I've just kitted the kitchen out with Siemens and Liebherr (all built in). Early days, but its mostly so far so good, except the bank balance.

The gas hob kick out miles more heat than the Rangemaster I used to have. Pyrolytic oven does what it says on the tin - except the glass and racks.

Just don't try to align a compact oven next to a normal oven by using a warming drawer underneath to get the same overall height. It looks good in the brochure and the technical drawings say it'll work, but it doesn't work so well in real life (by about 10mm) - I had to make custom brushed steel spacers to get it to look right (the Siemen's spacer doesn't work either) . I'd imagine its the same for Neff and Bosch too and they are dimensionally identical.

I had a play with the Miele ovens in the shop, and the switchgear didn't feel that good, (well, compared to their washing machines at least). It was a low-end model though. Having said that the low-end Siemens switch gear feels cheaper to the high-end models too.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 21 December 2014, 01:05 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Muppet

I've just kitted the kitchen out with Siemens and Liebherr (all built in). Early days, but its mostly so far so good, except the bank balance.

The gas hob kick out miles more heat than the Rangemaster I used to have. Pyrolytic oven does what it says on the tin - except the glass and racks.

Just don't try to align a compact oven next to a normal oven by using a warming drawer underneath to get the same overall height. It looks good in the brochure and the technical drawings say it'll work, but it doesn't work so well in real life (by about 10mm) - I had to make custom brushed steel spacers to get it to look right (the Siemen's spacer doesn't work either) . I'd imagine its the same for Neff and Bosch too and they are dimensionally identical.

I had a play with the Miele ovens in the shop, and the switchgear didn't feel that good, (well, compared to their washing machines at least). It was a low-end model though. Having said that the low-end Siemens switch gear feels cheaper to the high-end models too.
What does Pyrolytic mean

And in terms of "badge" engineering of these products who are the base manufactures, I assume miele make there own, but Siemens bosch smegg are all made by the same people?
Old 21 December 2014, 01:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Muppet

Yes muppetry indeed

Cheers for the heads up on Siemens, hadn't considered them.

I think Miele are the best for dishwashers and non cooking appliances in general, but like you I wondered about the switchgear on the ovens I tried.
Old 21 December 2014, 01:16 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
What does Pyrolytic mean

And in terms of "badge" engineering of these products who are the base manufactures, I assume miele make there own, but Siemens bosch smegg are all made by the same people?
Pyrolytic basically means heating the oven up to 500 degrees approx. to burn off the dirt.
Old 21 December 2014, 01:25 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Pyrolytic basically means heating the oven up to 500 degrees approx. to burn off the dirt.
Ah ok, "self cleaning" in other words

Does this work actually work, or is it marketing spin , excuse the ignorance, my wife deals with this stuff
Old 21 December 2014, 01:53 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Ah ok, "self cleaning" in other words

Does this work actually work, or is it marketing spin , excuse the ignorance, my wife deals with this stuff
From what I have read and what Ali says above yes it does to a good extent, but as Ali said the glass/racks still need manual intervention.
Old 21 December 2014, 11:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yep as above, used the pyrolytic function for a "quick clean" (it also has more intensive modes ) as some grease had condensed on the interior walls. It will also clean enamel coated trays/shelves. It gave off a fair bit of smoke, not sure if that's because it was the first time it had been used at that kind of temperature, so keep the kitchen extractor turned on. Afterwards all that was left was some fine ash at the bottom.

Just need to do the racks and glass, which you'd have to do anyway with a normal oven. Next time I may clean the glass first before using the pyrolytic as grease maybe less baked-on. Otherwise I'm impressed, well as impressed I could ever get about an oven. I've had ovens with Catalytic liners before, and they work well, but pyrolytic is definitely better.

Siemens, Neff and Bosch are all one of teh same (BSH group). and I looked at all of them. They all do a a low-end, mid range and top-end model under each brand, which are all similar when comparing like for like specs.

The exception is Neff is the only BSH brand have slide-away front doors, but thats not available on pyrolytic models. I chose the Siemens because the style was more to my taste (prefer the black glass to the brushed steel). Otherwise it'd have been the same spec Neff. Web prices were not too different between each brand once I totaled together all the appliances, and a local retailer priced matched it.

Siemens stuff I have does have a 5yr warranty...I could be mistaken but I didn't see that on the Neff brochures for the equivalent models

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 21 December 2014, 02:19 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I've got Neff built-in appliences in my kitchen, but can't say I'm exactly blown away by them. The microwave has packed in again (not really good enough for an item retailing at almost £400) and one of the buttons on the oven has broken.

As mentioned Neff, Bosch and Siemens are the same firm - I think I'd be looking at what SMEG or AEG have to offer.
Old 21 December 2014, 04:32 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

If Smeg's fridges are anything to go by I'd avoid them.....
Old 21 December 2014, 04:55 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you tell me who supplies IKEA, they have a five year warranty so can't be that poor a make.
I'm looking at getting one of their kitchens, done a fair bit of research and they seem to come out with good reviews overall.
Old 21 December 2014, 05:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Petem95
I've got Neff built-in appliences in my kitchen, but can't say I'm exactly blown away by them. The microwave has packed in again (not really good enough for an item retailing at almost £400) and one of the buttons on the oven has broken.

As mentioned Neff, Bosch and Siemens are the same firm - I think I'd be looking at what SMEG or AEG have to offer.

Not good to hear. I will say that fro me trawling the showrooms that there is a big difference in quality between the Classixx vs Logixx, iQ300 vs iQ700 and Series 3 and Series 7 etc.

Classixx, iQ300 and Series 3 definitely feels cheaper and a lesser product, just from opening the door or using the controls. Weather that means its more or less prone to failing I can't say. However, we are talking over £500 difference in price from the base model to the top-end, one should expect the latter to be more reliable than the former.

Time will tell, the Siemens built in combi microwave cost me best part of £600. So I bloody well hope it'll last longer than the warranty period LOL
Old 21 December 2014, 05:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Can you tell me who supplies IKEA, they have a five year warranty so can't be that poor a make.
I'm looking at getting one of their kitchens, done a fair bit of research and they seem to come out with good reviews overall.
Used to be Electrolux, but I'm sure they have changed now. Don't know who to though
Old 21 December 2014, 07:28 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Well timed thread Just bought a new kitchen from Howdens (delivered yesterday) and replacing pretty much all of the appliances. Will be after build-under double oven, 5 burner gas hob, hood, integrated dishwasher (full width), american style fridge freezer. Would be nice if the oven/hob/hood was all branded the same from a looks point of view but not sure what to go with.

Been hunting online (currys, AO.com etc) and some review sites and it definitely seems like one brand is good in one area (e.g. Miele for washing machines) but poor in another.

I'm surprised to see Beko getting a lot of positive reviews for their price - I assumed they were toss, but is that not the case anymore?!