Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UPVC patio door expert?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2014, 01:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPVC patio door expert?

Anyone on here in Manchester/Lancs area who knows how to install UPVC patio doors.... I have a problem on an installation of a Synseal door that I could do with some (paid) help with.

TIA
Old 08 December 2014, 04:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i work for synseal if that helps
Old 08 December 2014, 04:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
i work for synseal if that helps
**** me, it's a Synseal door!

OK here's the deal.

Ordered this 1800 wide patio door off a company that shall remain nameless and it arrived OK (a bit of scrape damage to the bottom, but other than that OK).

I had a local guy fit it under my watchful eye .... he has fitted plenty before so I wasn't too worried, but all the same I kept an eye on proceedings.

The first issue he found was the lock plate had been fitted to the frame but with the wrong length of screws i.e. they weren't into the metal. He had some screws so no worries, but the alarm bells were ringing.

We inspected the rest of the door and it seemed OK. Now we both read the supplied installation instructions several times which said to remove both the fixed sash and the sliding sash before installing the frame.

To be fair to him he said he thought that was wrong, but we both mulled it over and decided they must know their doors.

Anyway once the frame was in we could not get the fixed sash back in so he had to remove the frame and do what he originally thought which was to leave the fixed sash so it could slide in the frame but not remove it completely.

Once it was back in we both checked everything was square and he glazed the fixed sash and and reinstalled the sliding sash and glazed that too.

Trouble is the bloody thing won't close properly. If you adjust it so it slides nicely the lock plate needs to be moved higher than the maximum height adjustment allows and if you drop it so the locks will engage the door won't slide.

To cap all that the handle will not fit the door without machining the door casing further. It's not out by a millimetre, but by more like 10mm.

Trouble is the door needs to be sorted as the plasterers are here next Monday so I don't have time to argue the toss with the supplier (who claims it is all down to poor installation) right now. I even asked him to send me someone out and I would pay for their time if it proved to be an installation issue, but no dice.

If I didn't have the time constraint I would get embroiled in the legalities and sale of goods act, but right now I need the damn thing sorting and will have to do the legalities later!

So if you know of a installer in this area who can sort it I am more than happy to pay for their time to do so!

The most annoying thing is I found instructions for a Synseal door online which said to not remove the fixed sash. Looking again at the instructions I have I think they are for a different door.

Last edited by f1_fan; 08 December 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08 December 2014, 10:25 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

http://www.south-cheshire-conservato...ies-altrincham

these guys only deal with synseal stuff , they will be able to sort it or tell you if its a fault with the door
Old 08 December 2014, 10:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
http://www.south-cheshire-conservato...ies-altrincham

these guys only deal with synseal stuff , they will be able to sort it or tell you if its a fault with the door
Cheers, much appreciated