Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

small bump, what way to go about it?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2014, 06:27 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default small bump, what way to go about it?

Hi all, I am after some advice please on what to do.

Today I was parked and sitting in my car on the side of the road, when another driver went to park in front of me, but judged it wrong and cut in too much, catching their rear pass door/arch on my front drivers side wing/bumper.

They had a lot more damage to their car, pushing the door in and scrapes along the arch etc, where mine is some paint damage/small dent and I think some broken bumper bits inside as they fell out onto the floor.

we swapped over details and then I had to do the school run.

the question is

1, do I get a few quotes from a body shop on price to fix, and try to settle outside of insurance (then poss fix my self)

2, or just phone my insurance company and let them sort it out.

The thing I am worried about the insurance is, even though the claim will be on their policy, I think it might affect mine in the future.

And my car is a 2003 citroen c5 with 200k on it. it was in good condition, but at a guess it might be written off by the time a bumper/paint etc is claimed for.

bad pic of the damage

thanks
Ian

Old 25 November 2014, 07:13 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I would let insurance deal with it, unless the other driver was completely apologetic. BEWARE people often have convenient memory changing events after leaving the scene, suddenly your car jumped out of its parking space.

Be detailed and clear with description of the accident. Good luck!

I have a claim coming up to 2 years now and still isn't sorted
Old 25 November 2014, 07:22 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I would let insurance deal with it, unless the other driver was completely apologetic. BEWARE people often have convenient memory changing events after leaving the scene, suddenly your car jumped out of its parking space.

Be detailed and clear with description of the accident. Good luck!

I have a claim coming up to 2 years now and still isn't sorted

Thank you andy

The thing I am worried about it that it will affect my insurance, as it still be a claim showing, even though it will be on their insurance.

The other person was very sorry about it. I see them every other day or so, as they are on the school run at another school.

nobody was hurt, and tbh there is not massive amounts of damage to my car, but don't want to be left out of pocket over it.

If the damage happened when I was away, and did not know who done it, then I would just clean it up myself and move on.

thanks
ian
Old 25 November 2014, 07:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

You won't be out of pocket, all of your expenses will be refunded by their insurance, including your excess. The damage done to their car might be too much for them not to go through insurance. If you know them well then speak to them quickly, to see if they are going to contact their insurance. Is it their car or company car, new or an old banger?
Old 25 November 2014, 07:33 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

You won't be out of pocket, all of your expenses will be refunded by their insurance, including your excess. The damage done to their car might be too much for them not to go through insurance. If you know them well then speak to them quickly, to see if they are going to contact their insurance. Is it their car or company car, new or an old banger?

I dont know them at all, I just see them every other day.

there car is a S-Max 2007. I would say it would need a new door skin, and some small repair on the rear arch/bumper paint
Old 25 November 2014, 07:46 PM
Shavnh
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would just stay away from insurance if the other person is happy to pay.

Pocket the cash, t cut the scratches out and leave it at that. Unless you want to paint it but then you have to think if it's worth it or not?

They will probably write it off due to the mileage on the car.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:01 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Take the money if you can forget about the repair it's not really worth it on a 200k mileage car, buy yourself something nice for Xmas...as if you part exchanged it you wouldn't get any less for it for the dent.

Trending Topics

Old 25 November 2014, 09:08 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

so is it worth telling the insurance company to be on the safe side, even if no claim made?

I think it would be best to settle out of it after reading all the above.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

If you can do it with a hand shake between yourselves. Don't ring the insurance.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:37 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Agree. I made the mistake of contacting them in a similar scenario and although no claim was ever made they wanted to increase my premium the following year as my risk rating increased

If you can do it with a hand shake between yourselves. Don't ring the insurance.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:42 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Total loss
Old 25 November 2014, 09:50 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speak to them again tomorrow and find out if they are going through insurance or just give you some cash.

I reported an accident to my insurance, but then the bloke gave me some cash and we didn't go through insurance. I had to tell them I didn't want to claim, after I told them, they informed me that if the other driver changed his mind and decided to make a claim against me for the collision, I would be liable for any solicitors fees or repairs (on their records, the accident event is closed and I didn't want to make a claim for the accident)
Old 25 November 2014, 10:00 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Trouble is, good chance the car will be written off by insurance. Body shops tend to take the **** when insurance claims arise. My wife backed into a citreon ax many years ago, put a golf ball size dent in the wing which probably would have just popped back out (plastic wings) but local citreon garage quoted £1500 for complete front end respray, 4 new wheel trims, wheel alignment etc, so car got written off! Stupid really coz they are just pricing themselves out of the work.

Plenty places like chips away, dent magician etc will probably repair your car for around £100.
Old 25 November 2014, 10:06 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Having said that they might write it off and allow you to buy the car back off the insurance and you could just t cut the scratches out
Old 25 November 2014, 11:10 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Buy Chipex, tidy up, don't worry.
Old 26 November 2014, 05:49 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

I was in contact with the other person today, I am going to get a quote from a body shop, then email it to them, and depending on the cost, They will pay for it outright or go through their insurance.

thanks
ian
Old 26 November 2014, 09:52 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bet bodyshop quote £800+. then other person will say to go through insurance. then car will be a write off and insurance offer you £600 'market value'

get a quote, but say to the other person that you are happy with £300 or so and you'll sort it out yourself

be careful if you go through insurance, if it is a write off, a lot don't let you buy it back