Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cycling 2 abreast

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2014, 04:42 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default cycling 2 abreast

Whilst cycling with my mate over the weekend I have for the first time received abuse and horn pipping whilst out cycling.

The law is clear that riding two abreast is lawful and regarded safer than single file.

Why can't drivers have some tolerance, wait a few seconds for a safe overtaking moment, instead of harassing, shouting abuse?

Maybe it's time to invest in a go pro and start reporting aggressive abusive drivers?
Old 29 September 2014, 04:49 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's indeed legal

what pisses me off as a driver is cyclists riding just outside of a provided cycle lane or whipping out of it to go wrong side of an island
Old 29 September 2014, 04:51 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

Apparently someone on here got hit by his neighbors car on purpose and the police wouldnt do anything about that so for someone to shout something at you i think you will be wasting your time , cyclists riding 2 abreast holding me up really does my head in though
Old 29 September 2014, 04:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by angel1368
Apparently someone on here got hit by his neighbors car on purpose and the police wouldnt do anything about that so for someone to shout something at you i think you will be wasting your time , cyclists riding 2 abreast holding me up really does my head in though
So would you pip your horn and shout abuse at a rider of a horse?

Or would you slow down keep a safe distance and pass slowly?

Would you pip your horn against a young child and a parent cycling?
Old 29 September 2014, 04:59 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

i dont beep or shout abuse at all mate, i slow right down curse under my breathe then wait till its safe to overtake
Old 29 September 2014, 05:07 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angel1368
i dont beep or shout abuse at all mate, i slow right down curse under my breathe then wait till its safe to overtake
Excellent

I agree it can be frustrating to wait for slower traffic, tolerance is the key for the more vulnerable road users
Old 29 September 2014, 05:16 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It isn't illegal, but it isn't the done thing either.

Plenty of room for both cars and bikes on the road, if they help each other out.

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2014, 05:20 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andy97
So would you pip your horn and shout abuse at a rider of a horse?

Would you pip your horn against a young child and a parent cycling?

Always, and I make sure the anti-lag spits fire and loud explosions from the exhaust as I pass too. Never fails to impress them, especially the horse
Old 29 September 2014, 05:27 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Two abreast is usually fine, it's the 5 abreast that takes the p1ss, as do the two abreast horsey types, oh and clear your **** up after you, you'd expect dog owners to do the same in the park.
Old 29 September 2014, 05:41 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

It's a good job the horn beeper wasn't anywhere near me at the weekend, I did a sportive and there were 358 of us
Old 29 September 2014, 05:57 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
It's a good job the horn beeper wasn't anywhere near me at the weekend, I did a sportive and there were 358 of us
How did you get on?
Old 29 September 2014, 05:58 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Two abreast is usually fine, it's the 5 abreast that takes the p1ss, as do the two abreast horsey types, oh and clear your **** up after you, you'd expect dog owners to do the same in the park.
I always wondered how they can justify 1000£ fine for dog poo on pavement, but a mound of horse crap in the road is fine, surely if a motorbike hit a big pile of poo in the wet it would be dangerous??
Old 29 September 2014, 06:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Whilst its legal, however on some roads its not very considerate either.

Bit like caravaners (or slow drivers) that refuse to pull over to allow faster traffic to pass; despite a huge queue of traffic behind them and safe places to pull over..

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 September 2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 29 September 2014, 06:10 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

It used to be common courtesy when I was training to go single file if traffic was being held up or on narrow roads.
If the group is too large then split up to give cars a gap to get into.
Seems that this is forgotten nowadays as wannabe Wiggos think it should be full peloton style is the only way to go.
Old 29 September 2014, 06:13 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Whilst its legal, however on some roads its not very considerate either.

Bit like caravaners (or slow drivers) that refuse to pull over to allow faster traffic to pass; despite a huge queue of traffic behind them and safe places to pull over..
It only is inconsiderate when it's a narrow country lane where there is no room to pass. Roads that have two lanes there is plenty of room to overtake when safe to do so, by moving to the other side, like you would when overtaking another vehicle.
Old 29 September 2014, 06:14 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
oh and clear your **** up after you, you'd expect dog owners to do the same in the park.
Old 29 September 2014, 06:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by riiidaa
it's indeed legal

what pisses me off as a driver is cyclists riding just outside of a provided cycle lane or whipping out of it to go wrong side of an island
I am so totally guilty of not using cycle lanes, they're too narrow, dangerous, badly thought out and full of drains/manhole covers. They also go in meandering routes that have no reference to straight lines or shortest distance between 2 points. I will use them (briefly) if the road they go along is too narrow for a vehicle to safely overtake but will come back out when clear to do so.

If I'm in a 2 lane road, I will ride in the middle of the inside lane - if you want to overtake, move to the outer lane. I refuse to be forced into the curb where it is more dangerous for me.

On the other hand, I am courteous to other road users and will pull over once I've passed a parked vehicle or obstacle. Its not worth getting stressed over a cyclist riding defensively when their average speed is higher than yours anyway.
Old 29 September 2014, 06:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
I always wondered how they can justify 1000£ fine for dog poo on pavement, but a mound of horse crap in the road is fine, surely if a motorbike hit a big pile of poo in the wet it would be dangerous??
Because dog **** is utterly revolting,

whereas horsh1te, if mixed with good quality long grain rice, and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil together with thin slices of parmigiano reggiano makes for a great antipasto
Old 29 September 2014, 07:44 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I've been into cycling for years, but cyclists riding two abreast annoy the hell out of me. It always used to be the case that you moved into single file if you heard a car approaching, or were just riding that way to start with. It seems to be the people new to the sport that do it, and they appear to be the majority now. They are particularly aggressive and they know they can legally do it even though they know it pi55es people off.

Around here (Guildford, surrounding villages, Surrey Hills, Olympic route etc) you can't move for cyclists at the weekend, yet they still persist in their selfsih ways.

All this from an avid cyclist too!
Old 29 September 2014, 07:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Butkus
I've been into cycling for years, but cyclists riding two abreast annoy the hell out of me. It always used to be the case that you moved into single file if you heard a car approaching, or were just riding that way to start with. It seems to be the people new to the sport that do it, and they appear to be the majority now. They are particularly aggressive and they know they can legally do it even though they know it pi55es people off.

Around here (Guildford, surrounding villages, Surrey Hills, Olympic route etc) you can't move for cyclists at the weekend, yet they still persist in their selfsih ways.

I think there is a new-wave of aggressive cyclist these days,

I have a problem with some of them using the bridleway that crosses in front of my driveway...due to the hedgerows its blind to pull on/off. Yet woe betide should I unavoidable cross their path whilst hurtling down at 25mph+ with their go-pro strapped to their head. Of course it all my fault that its impossible for me to see them or react in time.

During the abuse I do remind them its a bridleway not a velodrome track...which pedestrians and dog walkers also use as they tear down there. and is it not wise to slow down before they hit someone (or their dog).

I'm probably on You-Tube somewhere.
Old 29 September 2014, 08:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus

You will have to explain why it annoys you in detail?

Riding 2 abreast is passive defensive.
Riding on country lanes where there is one lane then move into single file. On twin lanes drivers should wait for it to be clear, move over to the other lane and pass carefully. Nobody using the roads has priorty over the other.

Solo riding, I will ride 1m to 1.5m from the kerb to allow me to have a modicum of control to move over if someone tries to pass by too closely. Tolerance and patience is required.
Old 29 September 2014, 08:37 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

I ride solo and usually ride a meter from the curb as drains ect cause problems. I have noticed you either get driver`s passing a car width wide or 2 inches, and I always pull in and wave a car past when safe to do so.
Old 29 September 2014, 08:39 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

You will have to explain why it annoys you in detail?

Riding 2 abreast is passive defensive.
Riding on country lanes where there is one lane then move into single file. On twin lanes drivers should wait for it to be clear, move over to the other lane and pass carefully. Nobody using the roads has priorty over the other.

Solo riding, I will ride 1m to 1.5m from the kerb to allow me to have a modicum of control to move over if someone tries to pass by too closely. Tolerance and patience is required.
I'm a keen cylist but have almost given up road riding as it has become too dangerous. As both a cyclist and car driver it really annoys the hell out of me to read this 'I know my rights' attitude, and for non cycling drivers it's a certain wind up. 1,500kg car v 8kg bike and rider = no contest, and many annual cyclist deaths and serious injuries prove that point all to clearly.
Old 29 September 2014, 08:46 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Because dog **** is utterly revolting,

whereas horsh1te, if mixed with good quality long grain rice, and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil together with thin slices of parmigiano reggiano makes for a great antipasto
Plenty of shjt in Cambridge for you to come and eat
Old 29 September 2014, 08:53 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Whilst cycling with my mate over the weekend I have for the first time received abuse and horn pipping whilst out cycling.

The law is clear that riding two abreast is lawful and regarded safer than single file.

Why can't drivers have some tolerance, wait a few seconds for a safe overtaking moment, instead of harassing, shouting abuse?

Maybe it's time to invest in a go pro and start reporting aggressive abusive drivers?
A slight annoyance if you drive around a country bend fast but I have noticed this riding style has got very common recently.
Old 29 September 2014, 09:00 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Didn't you realise some people in cars mainly just don't like being delayed,got to get to tesco or asda,collect the kids from school,or take them to football practice etc,100mph or nothing.And b0ll0cks if that green light go to red,two abreast cyclists,grandma driving at 40mph on a B road,and speeds up to 50mph in a 30 zone
Old 29 September 2014, 09:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
A slight annoyance if you drive around a country bend fast but I have noticed this riding style has got very common recently.
Probably as a consequence of driving standards you advocate
Old 29 September 2014, 09:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
I'm a keen cylist but have almost given up road riding as it has become too dangerous. As both a cyclist and car driver it really annoys the hell out of me to read this 'I know my rights' attitude, and for non cycling drivers it's a certain wind up. 1,500kg car v 8kg bike and rider = no contest, and many annual cyclist deaths and serious injuries prove that point all to clearly.
Serious educational campaign to highlight the vulnerability of riders, horse riders motor scooters etc. Also presumed liability might just help.
Old 29 September 2014, 09:13 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

This is really straight forward. The purpose of the horn in your vehicle is to warn others of your vehicles presence. Cyclists get two short blasts in close succession (one long beep sounds aggressive). Cyclists move into single file, and car passes. A wave from the driver shows some appreciation.

After the second repetition of the two short beep technique, the dirty diesel gets dropped to second gear and wide open throttle on the way by, leaving the two wheeled twosome to avoid or enter the soot cloud.

BTW - I am a cyclist, I refuse to cycle when roads are busy I start out at 5AM and aim to be home before 8AM on a weekend morning; I detest cyclists who cycle two wide, especially when it is two middle-aged track-suit wearing lard arsed blokes who struggle to keep their £59 mountain bike rolling in a straight line at 10mph.
Old 29 September 2014, 09:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
This is really straight forward. The purpose of the horn in your vehicle is to warn others of your vehicles presence. Cyclists get two short blasts in close succession (one long beep sounds aggressive). Cyclists move into single file, and car passes. A wave from the driver shows some appreciation.

After the second repetition of the two short beep technique, the dirty diesel gets dropped to second gear and wide open throttle on the way by, leaving the two wheeled twosome to avoid or enter the soot cloud.

BTW - I am a cyclist, I refuse to cycle when roads are busy I start out at 5AM and aim to be home before 8AM on a weekend morning; I detest cyclists who cycle two wide, especially when it is two middle-aged track-suit wearing lard arsed blokes who struggle to keep their £59 mountain bike rolling in a straight line at 10mph.
The problem is you wouldn't do that to a horse rider in case you spooked the horse, so why would you do it to a cyclist who you can't predict their actions of being surprised by a horn blast. They could fall off into your path.

Quick Reply: cycling 2 abreast