Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Customer return. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2014, 11:45 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customer return. What do you think?

I'd like to think I go a little further than most with customer returns usually, probably further than I need to but just had a return today which I'm not 100% happy about.

30th June 2014. Customer ordered a camera pole.

1st July 2014. Pole received.

27th July 2014. Emailed to say the pole was damaged on arrival 27th July 2014.

14th August 2014. Received back in what I would call USED condition.

I understand sometimes people buy things and don't use them straight away so I am happy that it took almost a month to inform me it was damaged but there's no way it hasn't been used in that time and then it took another 2 weeks to return it.

What would you do? What would you expect as a customer?
Old 14 August 2014, 11:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
I'd like to think I go a little further than most with customer returns usually, probably further than I need to but just had a return today which I'm not 100% happy about.

30th June 2014. Customer ordered a camera pole.

1st July 2014. Pole received.

27th July 2014. Emailed to say the pole was damaged on arrival 27th July 2014.

14th August 2014. Received back in what I would call USED condition.

I understand sometimes people buy things and don't use them straight away so I am happy that it took almost a month to inform me it was damaged but there's no way it hasn't been used in that time and then it took another 2 weeks to return it.

What would you do? What would you expect as a customer?
What are your terms and conditions for returns? If they, like a lot of places, state any faulty items must be returned in 'as new' condition and in the original packaging then tell them to do one would be my advice.

If they are not clear, however, you may have a fight on your hands.

Oh and as for what I would expect as a customer... i can't really answer as what I would expect and what some of the p1ss taking public seem to expect from companies these days are two different things. Put it this way if I used something I wouldn't be sending it back to you and claiming it was damaged on delivery.

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 August 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 14 August 2014, 01:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thought you seven days to inform suppliers it isn't suitable , either way, actually !
Old 14 August 2014, 01:24 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

These are the terms of conditions for returns...

a) Items are able to be returned within 7 days of receipt, in their original packaging, with tags (if applicable) at the buyers cost. You are required to return items using a suitable method of posting that allows proof of delivery.
Old 14 August 2014, 03:26 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

You might want to change your T&C, the law says it is fourteen days now, not seven.
Old 15 August 2014, 03:35 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I would change items are able,to items must be returned.
Old 15 August 2014, 07:24 AM
Ade WRX
Scooby Regular

I'd be inclined to let this one slide as you could have problems with your T's & C's if it was challenged, not specific enough IMO, but then update & improve your returns policy to be more specific that items MUST be in unused condition. Tighten the reigns a bit for future returns. Its tough titty toenails if the buyer doesn't read your returns policy then, its there in black & white.
Old 15 August 2014, 08:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Think I would change items are able,to items must be returned.
Yoda, have you been on the pop?

Originally Posted by Ade WRX
I'd be inclined to let this one slide as you could have problems with your T's & C's if it was challenged, not specific enough IMO, but then update & improve your returns policy to be more specific that items MUST be in unused condition. Tighten the reigns a bit for future returns. Its tough titty toenails if the buyer doesn't read your returns policy then, its there in black & white.
I'd agree with this
Old 15 August 2014, 08:10 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

I'd agree with this

Had a shandy or two..
Old 15 August 2014, 08:44 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f1_fan
Originally Posted by DYK
Had a shandy or two..

Old 16 August 2014, 12:17 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Ade WRX
I too agree with what you are saying, but the issue here isn't just a case of someone wanting to return an item because they've changed their mind about it, regardless of the time scale.

The buyer is claiming that the item has been damaged on delivery, but in Boro's eyes, the item has been used, so I can only assume it's in a condition that is clear to him, wouldn't just have occurred during transit. The fact some time has elapsed would possibly back up the feeling that the item has been used and broken and the customer is trying it on.

To resolve this, you could argue about it, refuse a refund, possibly be able to prove your case, but you have to ask is it really worth it? Is the item of a high enough value that you can't write it off as one of those things? Is it worth losing a customer over?

If it's not really worth the fight and is more just a case of being frustrated, then I would suggest you just refund the cost of the item as a 'gesture of goodwill' on this occasion blah blah blah.

I would amend your terms though, as if it's changed to 14 days, you'll need to change that (although, you'd still be within your rights to refuse to sort this as over 14 days passed before being alerted to the problem). I would also add in that returns must be unused, with original packaging and saleable (from a general point of view)
Old 16 August 2014, 12:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Old 16 August 2014, 09:17 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Customer is taking the **** up to you if you can be arsed to argue with them.
Old 16 August 2014, 11:16 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Surely there are up sides to being a seller/business on the net, perhaps it has give the op a opportunity to make some good money and maybe with out the net he would be working in a job he doesn't like. The downside is here for all to read, the buyer may not of tried it on if it was a face to face sale but it comes with the territory.

I personally don't like buying and selling on the net, as SN will back me up with the many of threads related to online buying/selling issues I would rather do it the old fashioned way where possible.

However, if I did decide to use the net for business then I would try to except the pros and cons of this dog eat dog environment.

In my opinion the buyer is a dishonest person trying it on but that is what the net creates, dishonesty and the opportunity to try it on.
Old 16 August 2014, 12:42 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Ohhhhh Great Warrior...