Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Custom carbon fibre

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2014, 07:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom carbon fibre

Anyone know if there are any companies out there who make one off custom carbon fibre items... in this case a diffuser.

I know it won't be cheap, but if I have a GRP OEM item to base the 'custom' item on then is it possible and at all economically feasible?
Old 11 June 2014, 08:38 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a chap on here, goes by the username Carben Fibre Creations, something like that Chris.

Friend of mine bought a "CF" rear diffuser off him for his Bugeye. In my honest opinion it was garbage.

It was made from really thin fibreglass, with a quite bad carbon overlay. The weave was all over the place.

Pretty sure McLaren make all their CF stuff in house, maybe try them.
Old 11 June 2014, 09:02 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

There is a lad on the mlr , a proper trader.
I think he's based in South Yorkshire .
If you are not a member I can send him a pm for you if you let me know what you want.....or I could direct him here
Old 11 June 2014, 09:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
There's a chap on here, goes by the username Carben Fibre Creations, something like that Chris.

Friend of mine bought a "CF" rear diffuser off him for his Bugeye. In my honest opinion it was garbage.

It was made from really thin fibreglass, with a quite bad carbon overlay. The weave was all over the place.

Cheers Micky.

Yes I want proper CF not stuff layered on fibreglass.

Basically I have bought a diffuser from a very reputable source but it does not fit (not even close) so was wondering about getting a refund rather than having them make another and letting someone else have a go.
Old 11 June 2014, 09:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
There is a lad on the mlr , a proper trader.
I think he's based in South Yorkshire .
If you are not a member I can send him a pm for you if you let me know what you want.....or I could direct him here
Basically it's something like this:

I have a membership on MLR from ages ago, will sign in and look him up. Any idea of his username?
Old 11 June 2014, 09:23 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Some of his stuff looks ok, start from the end of the thread and work backwards.
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-demo-car.html
Old 11 June 2014, 09:25 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

To make a quality carbon item you will need a good original part to make a mould out of tooling carbon, then from there carbon laid up carefully to give you the quality finish, ideally done with an autoclave.

It will not be cheap for a quality item especially a one off. I know because I have a close involvement in a carbon manufacturer who works with a lot of top motorsport teams.

Stick with fibreglass for a road car
Old 11 June 2014, 09:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
To make a quality carbon item you will need a good original part to make a mould out of tooling carbon, then from there carbon laid up carefully to give you the quality finish, ideally done with an autoclave.

It will not be cheap for a quality item especially a one off. I know because I have a close involvement in a carbon manufacturer who works with a lot of top motorsport teams.

Stick with fibreglass for a road car
Trouble is there is no original part as the original part stops half way down where this one does. That's why I want it, it looks much more aggresive.

You could still use the original part as the basis mind as that dictates how it fits to the car etc. It just needs to be deeper.

When you say not cheap what are you talking? The diffuser in the pic is more than a grand ... and doesn't bloody fit
Old 11 June 2014, 09:39 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Trouble is there is no original part as the original part stops half way down where this one does. That's why I want it, it looks much more aggresive.

You could still use the original part as the basis mind as that dictates how it fits to the car etc. It just needs to be deeper.

When you say not cheap what are you talking? The diffuser in the pic is more than a grand ... and doesn't bloody fit
I don't know what the cost, but I can ask for some contacts of their manufacturer section. The problem you will have is that these manufacturers are very busy making items for the motorsport industry. I am not being awkward it's just the way it is. I'll ask and pm you once I know

Last edited by andy97; 12 June 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11 June 2014, 09:41 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

CarbonGoodies fella , he's a listed trader
Just checked and not online but I have sent him a pm to take a look for you.

Last edited by donny andi; 11 June 2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11 June 2014, 09:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I don't know what the cost, but I can ask for some contacts of there manufacturer section. The problem you will have is that these manufacturers are very busy making items for the motorsport industry. I am not being awkward it's just the way it is. I'll ask and pm you once I know
No worries, it's kind of just an idea right now as I am not convinced the replacement from these people is going to work either so looking for a Plan B.

I know you're not being awkward and I know how busy these people get with motorsport stuff so a long wait wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11 June 2014, 09:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
CarbonGoodies fella , he's a listed trader
Cheers
Old 11 June 2014, 10:11 PM
Carbongoodies
Scooby Newbie

I have been directed here to see if I can help out.

Ok anything is possible but it all depends on budgets as custom items are generally eye wateringly expensive.

I have a few manufacturers who are able to do what you need who are all based in the UK.

If you would like to send me an email with some details on what you are wanting I can see what I can do for you mate:

sales@carbongoodies.co.uk

If this breaks any forum rules then please let me know and I will delete this post, I've just been directed here by a member.

Cheers

Rick
Old 11 June 2014, 10:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rick, you have email.
Old 12 June 2014, 08:23 PM
CarBen Fibre Creations
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Thanks mate

We make all our carbon wet layup because dry carbon is very expensive, you'll find this is the case for all carbon companies who market to 'modded cars' Seibon, Carbon Creations and 90% off the stuff from Japan & China. Race cars are different its all dry carbon but this is a lot more expensive, if you wanted something in dry carbon I can do that for you just drop me a PM or email. An example of price would be a bonnet for instance Usually £450-£500 in wet lay carbon however in dry carbon you'll be looking at £800-£900 plus you have to cost in the moulding process which is usually around the same price.

Like I said I can do dry carbon we just dont advertise it because no one is interested in paying twice the amount of money when its mainly for a cosmetic mod on a road car.

If you would like a quote for the diffuser you have email me some photos with dimensions and i'll see what I can do.

Can I ask why you want it in dry carbon?
Old 13 June 2014, 10:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CarBen Fibre Creations
Thanks mate

We make all our carbon wet layup because dry carbon is very expensive, you'll find this is the case for all carbon companies who market to 'modded cars' Seibon, Carbon Creations and 90% off the stuff from Japan & China. Race cars are different its all dry carbon but this is a lot more expensive, if you wanted something in dry carbon I can do that for you just drop me a PM or email. An example of price would be a bonnet for instance Usually £450-£500 in wet lay carbon however in dry carbon you'll be looking at £800-£900 plus you have to cost in the moulding process which is usually around the same price.

Like I said I can do dry carbon we just dont advertise it because no one is interested in paying twice the amount of money when its mainly for a cosmetic mod on a road car.

If you would like a quote for the diffuser you have email me some photos with dimensions and i'll see what I can do.

Can I ask why you want it in dry carbon?
I don't think I specified it should be done in dry carbon, but what I will say is I want it to be a perfect job as it's a quality car and the rest of it is pretty much immaculate now.

The diffuser in the image above is what I have purchased and it retails for around £1200. It is quite thin and very light, but very strong so I would imagine it's dry carbon yes?

The finish is absolutely beautiful, but it is mis-manufactured size wise by nearly 40mm in width which I find staggering for an ISO accredited manufacturer.

Anyway I have the current GRP OEM Mercedes diffuser which could be used as a guide for the part of the diffuser that fits to the car, but the diffuser needs to be deeper for the look I am after.

Carbongoodies is putting me in touch with a manufacturer and I think it will come down to price.

I will put together some pics and an email for you and you can give me an estimate if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers,

f1
Old 13 June 2014, 12:25 PM
CarBen Fibre Creations
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I don't think I specified it should be done in dry carbon, but what I will say is I want it to be a perfect job as it's a quality car and the rest of it is pretty much immaculate now.

The diffuser in the image above is what I have purchased and it retails for around £1200. It is quite thin and very light, but very strong so I would imagine it's dry carbon yes?

The finish is absolutely beautiful, but it is mis-manufactured size wise by nearly 40mm in width which I find staggering for an ISO accredited manufacturer.

Anyway I have the current GRP OEM Mercedes diffuser which could be used as a guide for the part of the diffuser that fits to the car, but the diffuser needs to be deeper for the look I am after.

Carbongoodies is putting me in touch with a manufacturer and I think it will come down to price.

I will put together some pics and an email for you and you can give me an estimate if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers,

f1

Yes by the sound of it it'll be dry carbon, I would expect it to be the higest quality for that type of car.

With you saying you didnt want fibreglass coated with carbon the only other option is dry carbon really. I can get you a quote for GRP/Carbon mix and also dry carbon if you'd like? You will need to supply a part to us that you are 100% happy with fitment that way we can mould and replicate for you, can you modify the one you have to suit your needs?