Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House Prices rocket £7000 in a month...

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2014, 12:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Prices rocket £7000 in a month...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...one-month.html

So the debt-fueled utter madness continues.

The difference to the last Labour fueled houseprice bubble is the average person appears much more clued up and doesn't see this as a good thing anymore, it's growth based purely on debt and cheap credit.

I just don't see how they can continue with this for much longer - where will the required money keep coming from? Reduce interest rates to zero? Even more QE?

They've already effectively let people take their pension money out so they can put this into property and keep it pumped up, and also extended the 'help-to-keep prices up', sorry 'help-to-buy' scheme until 2020.

Is there anyone who still thinks this is a good thing, and actually sustainable?!!...

Last edited by Petem95; 05 June 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05 June 2014, 12:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Nope, but I said 2 years ago it wasn't going to be! The Tory voters on here, however, think otherwise, but that is probably why they vote Tory if you get my drift!
Old 05 June 2014, 12:52 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Nope, but I said 2 years ago it wasn't going to be! The Tory voters on here, however, think otherwise, but that is probably why they vote Tory if you get my drift!
I voted Tory in the last general election as I was believed Osbourne when he said he'd bring in austerity and reduce the national debt. That was a massive lie - national debt has continued increase and shockingly at an even faster rate than under Labour.

All I can say is I won't be repeating the same mistake in next years general election.
Old 05 June 2014, 12:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
I voted Tory in the last general election as I was believed Osbourne when he said he'd bring in austerity and reduce the national debt. That was a massive lie - national debt has continued increase and shockingly at an even faster rate than under Labour.

All I can say is I won't be repeating the same mistake in next years general election.
Yep and this is why I will end up voting UKIP as Labour and the Tories just continually lie. Maybe UKIP will be the same, but definitely a rare case of better the devil you don't know for me!
Old 05 June 2014, 01:05 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Yep and this is why I will end up voting UKIP as Labour and the Tories just continually lie. Maybe UKIP will be the same, but definitely a rare case of better the devil you don't know for me!
I'm going for UKIP too. The others have had their chance and have proven to be liars. They can expect to lose support if they keep treating the voters like fools.

At least UKIP will reduce immigration which reduces pressure on housing demand - that's a key part of the jigsaw for Labour/Tories.
Old 05 June 2014, 01:08 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No, Osborne's pre-election pledge in 2010 was to cut the deficit, not debt, which he as done, by a third since 2010.
Old 05 June 2014, 01:15 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
No, Osborne's pre-election pledge in 2010 was to cut the deficit, not debt, which he as done, by a third since 2010.
It went down from 2010-2012, but since 2013 is increasing again and forecast to continue increasing.
Old 05 June 2014, 01:19 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wooooooohoooooooo i'm considerably richer than I was last month.

Better call the bank and re-mortgage to take advantage of my new found wealth, ferrari or porsche.

Old 05 June 2014, 01:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

But nobody's going to pay that extra 7k....

As far as I can tell
Old 05 June 2014, 01:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

So the debt-fueled utter madness continues.
It's utter madness, however I don't think you can just blame the Tories for the price increases... Ok, they've introduced a load of stupid policy surrounding this (HTB1, HTB2 etc), but nobody has (yet) forced anyone to take on a mortgage - that's all down to people buying houses.

I also don't believe there is a genuine housing shortage in the country, otherwise there'd be a lot more people living on the streets. I think it's an artificial supply issue due to BTL.

I hope prices crash hard all over, especially in London and surrounding areas, and I say that as an "owner" (well, bank owns it, of course, i just pay for the maintenance). If they don't, my kids will be screwed when they grow up.
Old 05 June 2014, 02:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I think it's an artificial supply issue due to BTL.
BTL has certainly inflated prices.

The boom in BTL is one of the most ugly things about modern Britain.

A form of human farming.
Old 05 June 2014, 02:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

British housing in a nutshell:

Your house is worth £7K more. Woohoo. You can sell your poxy 2005 new build 3 bed (one main bedroom, with two tiny box rooms that can barely fit in a single bed) and buy something better....

Oh, no wait, A better house is also £7k more, so you need to max out the mortgage more, but that's no good anyway as you can't sell the current house and 1st time buyers can't afford to get on the ladder which mean those further in teh chain can 't buy your house. Oh dear, what a quandary. .

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 June 2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: 't
Old 05 June 2014, 02:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
BTL has certainly inflated prices.

The boom in BTL is one of the most ugly things about modern Britain.

A form of human farming.
Love your work Tony
Old 05 June 2014, 02:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

It went down from 2010-2012, but since 2013 is increasing again and forecast to continue increasing.
Really? Where did you get that from or did you just make that up? The official forcast is for growth to increase and public borrowing is to go down.
Old 05 June 2014, 03:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
It's utter madness, however I don't think you can just blame the Tories for the price increases... Ok, they've introduced a load of stupid policy surrounding this (HTB1, HTB2 etc), but nobody has (yet) forced anyone to take on a mortgage - that's all down to people buying houses.

I also don't believe there is a genuine housing shortage in the country, otherwise there'd be a lot more people living on the streets. I think it's an artificial supply issue due to BTL.

I hope prices crash hard all over, especially in London and surrounding areas, and I say that as an "owner" (well, bank owns it, of course, i just pay for the maintenance). If they don't, my kids will be screwed when they grow up.

How is the HTB policy stupid? It helped 27000 people with 85% of those first time buyers to get on the housing ladder.
Old 05 June 2014, 03:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

How is the HTB policy stupid? It helped 27000 people with 85% of those first time buyers to get on the housing ladder.
At the expense of taxpayers and FTB'ers who actually bothered to save a deposit.
Old 05 June 2014, 03:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Because the real fix is to get property prices to come down whereas HTB is doing the opposite!
Old 05 June 2014, 03:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
At the expense of taxpayers and FTB'ers who actually bothered to save a deposit.
I think you were one of a number of others on here in the past who has pointed out the Government aren't doing anything to help FTB'ers like yourself. The current Government has introduced a scheme to help people like yourself to get on the housing ladder and yet you still choose to perpetuate the very thing you dispise so much by continuing to rent off private landlords whilst also looking at ways to evade paying your tax.
Old 05 June 2014, 03:44 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Because the real fix is to get property prices to come down whereas HTB is doing the opposite!
HTB has had little if any impact in the overall house price increase. Most of those to took advantage of the scheme were from well past north of London and the southern counties and those that did only made up 4% of total FTB'ers purchases in the UK.

Last edited by jonc; 05 June 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05 June 2014, 03:49 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

HTB has had little if any impact in the overall house price increase. Most of those to took advantage of the scheme were from well past north of London and the southern counties and those that did only make up 3% of total purchases in the UK.
Be that as it may it is certainly not doing anything to pull prices the other way.

Until house price rises stop outstripping wage rises there will be no fix for the housing situation in the UK and even then it will take years if not decades!

The trouble is (as Ali pointed out) everyone thinks if their house is worth £7K more than last year they are somehow better off, where in reality they are no better off than they were unless they want to sell up and live in a tent!

The Tories have been selling this lie since 1979 and it's wearing rather thin!
Old 05 June 2014, 03:50 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cousin has just sold her bungalow for £82,000 over the asking price. Had 4 couples in a bidding war over it!

2 years earlier at £50,000 less that the asking price now, she didn't have a sniff
Old 05 June 2014, 03:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

when capital invests in uneconomically productive asset classes like property, (because they get the best return)

the knock on effect is that economically productive asset classes - like industry (heavy/light/service etc) have to supply ever increasing returns

this can only be done with a relentless downward pressure on costs - and this is most likely labour cost - which are inevitably driven down

so wages go down, real spending power goes down and "growth" is only sustainable by debt

as an addendum

some economist agree that a large part of our "growth" has been the 30 billion injected by PPI claims - wooohoww got a couple of grand lets spunk it on a new car
Old 05 June 2014, 03:58 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Be that as it may it is certainly not doing anything to pull prices the other way.
That's not what HTB is designed to do, it's to help first time buyers buy a home for themselves and as it turns out, with minimal impact to house prices.

Until house price rises stop outstripping wage rises there will be no fix for the housing situation in the UK and even then it will take years if not decades!

The trouble is (as Ali pointed out) everyone thinks if their house is worth £7K more than last year they are somehow better off, where in reality they are no better off than they were unless they want to sell up and live in a tent!

The Tories have been selling this lie since 1979 and it's wearing rather thin!
Ironically, dispite your anti-tory stance, you're most certainly going to benefit from the Tories when you come to sell up right before you move to Australia!
Old 05 June 2014, 04:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cocker
My cousin has just sold her bungalow for £82,000 over the asking price. Had 4 couples in a bidding war over it!

2 years earlier at £50,000 less that the asking price now, she didn't have a sniff
Hang on, her bunglooo has risen in 'value' 130 k in two years
Old 05 June 2014, 04:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Ironically, dispite your anti-tory stance, you're most certainly going to benefit from the Tories when you come to sell up right before you move to Australia!
Actually the biggest rise in the price of my house came under Labour who were no better than the Tories in this respect so if I should thank anyone it should be.... maybe not!

However, sadly Western Aus has an even more out of control property market than here and hence since the time I first seriously started thinking of going I now can get 25% less for my money such have been the rises there
Old 05 June 2014, 04:27 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

since the time I first seriously started thinking of going I now can get 25% less for my money such have been the rises there
Surely not, I thought everything about Oz was just so perfect
Old 05 June 2014, 04:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

The Kimberly probably bit cheaper?
Old 05 June 2014, 04:41 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

They came down!! Massively!!

I filled my boots

Roll on the rise..... Then i'm selling up and fukcing off!
Old 05 June 2014, 04:43 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I think you were one of a number of others on here in the past who has pointed out the Government aren't doing anything to help FTB'ers like yourself. The current Government has introduced a scheme to help people like yourself to get on the housing ladder and yet you still choose to perpetuate the very thing you dispise so much by continuing to rent off private landlords whilst also looking at ways to evade paying your tax.
I'm not a first time buyer with no deposit though.

HTB has increased demand thus increasing prices for people such as myself.

So it's helped some people but hurt others.
Old 05 June 2014, 04:43 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With some of London excepted, things might be calming down a bit already.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba27dc6c-d...#axzz33mORJUEx

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0ED0XQ20140602

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27223041

Banks seem to be taking some responsible action

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...le-house-price

However feel free to ignore any of these facts

Last edited by Dingdongler; 05 June 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: House Prices rocket £7000 in a month...