Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday suggestions for August?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2014, 07:43 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holiday suggestions for August?

Looking to go away in the last couple of weeks of August and haven't booked anything yet

Had a big holiday in the Easter holidays so trying not to go mental with this one. It needs to be hot, nice beach and pool, suitable for two small kids, decent food and not loud/overcrowded/chavvy.

Any suggestions?
Old 01 June 2014, 08:01 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A villa in Istria in Croatia just put a hire car into the package as well.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 01 June 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01 June 2014, 09:39 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
A villa in Istria in Croatia just put a hire car into the package as well.

Are you offering?

My wife is never keen on a villa (vs hotel) because being a busy mum and working full time she wants a couple of weeks when she doesn't have to cook, clean etc.

But perhaps we should reconsider it.
Old 01 June 2014, 09:42 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Time get that pinny on Ditchy
Old 01 June 2014, 10:06 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Are you offering?

My wife is never keen on a villa (vs hotel) because being a busy mum and working full time she wants a couple of weeks when she doesn't have to cook, clean etc.

But perhaps we should reconsider it.
You could always help her out couldn't you. We always chose a villa so were not restricted to certain eating times etc and you are not all crammed into one room together. Doesn't work out that much more either depending of course what standard of hotel your intending to stay in.
Old 01 June 2014, 10:38 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

We didn't do that many holidays when our kids were young, but when we did, I never appreciated self-catering villa option. Even when Mister cooked well with great zeal, I just didn't like all that shopping and cooking business in the villa. We did all that back home in our daily lives, anyway.

Hotel family suite is a good idea. And yes, both husband and wife should relax, splash some cash on meals out with kids, and just enjoy. While on holiday, do what you don't do in your regular life; not the same sh7t, another location. Just my view.
Old 01 June 2014, 11:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Throws up the cost though big style , unless you're in some ready made packaged chain environment.

I'd prefer cook home go out couple times a week - somewhere scruffy ( authentic)
Old 01 June 2014, 12:07 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Throws up the cost though big style , unless you're in some ready made packaged chain environment.

I'd prefer cook home go out couple times a week - somewhere scruffy ( authentic)
See, you're taking being on holiday as being at home. The reality is that it's not your home, it's a holiday FGS.

And this is why people earn, you know. I don't mean to say that they earn just to pay for their holidays, but to sometimes relax and enjoy as well. Why be so tight and scrape the barrel if you could afford to splash it, eh? Money comes, money goes. What's the point holding on to every penny and spend half the time doing house work on your holiday, which you already do in abundance; back home??

Mind you, the OP has been on a biggy already this year, so he and his wife might consider a self-catering villa this time, which is fine. I was more talking in general that self-catering holidays are more pain in the @rse than a holiday. More so if you have little ones to look after and entertain. Don't you think that chilling out, seeing places and do activities together with your children without any responsibility of same old shopping, cooking, washing up and bleddy cleaning will be better? Well, I do. I never liked dragging kids out to foreign food stores where I or Mister had to struggle to understand their supplies. Stores' unfamiliar layouts and the writings on the foods did my head in, and poor kids just got carted about in food stores. They never complained, but I bet they got well bored. Then all that currency headache at their paypoints.

Saying that, I'll be fine in Germany in a self-catering villa now, as I'm very efficient in shopping at Aldi and LIDL. I now know exactly where what is, in there.
Old 01 June 2014, 12:08 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
While on holiday, do what you don't do in your regular life; not the same sh7t, another location. Just my view.
I used to spend so much time in hotel rooms working away that's one reason we went for a villa where we eat out nearly every night, get up when we want, not when hotel wants us to eat brekky. Lunch is a simple affair around 4pm, just a baguette etc so hardly haute cuisine. We also have the luxury of a gym, cinema room, pool at 28c and surround ourselves with sheer luxury all for the same cost as staying in a fairly decent hotel inc hire car.

Each to their own I guess but having done both I know which one I prefer.
Old 01 June 2014, 12:10 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Me and the other half have recently been looking for a similar break, just to get away for a while and didn't want to go too far as will probably book a long haul holiday for early next year (Vietnam possibly), anyway, just booked a week in sorrento, Italy during first week of sept. Hotel just outside main town centre so not too busy but within walking distance.

Didn't want a real cheap holiday as they tend to be full of chavs never been before but people who we know who have been said it's nice so fingers crossed.

We don't have kids so just the two of us and was a bit over £800 each, half board.
Old 01 June 2014, 12:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I used to spend so much time in hotel rooms working away that's one reason we went for a villa where we eat out nearly every night, get up when we want, not when hotel wants us to eat brekky. Lunch is a simple affair around 4pm, just a baguette etc so hardly haute cuisine. We also have the luxury of a gym, cinema room, pool at 28c and surround ourselves with sheer luxury all for the same cost as staying in a fairly decent hotel inc hire car.

Each to their own I guess but having done both I know which one I prefer.
Definitely, Chip. As you say, each to their own.
Old 01 June 2014, 12:15 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

My place is still a building site and I don't have any rooms ready yet and my bit is a half finished one bed apartment, there is the 4 berth caravan I used to live in for a few years still out the back though, mind you it would need a bloody good clean first, you offering your mrs for cleaning duty?

That's also why I suggested a car as well, you can have cereals for breakfast chill by your own pool, fire up the bbq on the odd occasion and do some beaches and sight seeing, plenty of restaurants in the tourist areas that are not desperately expensive, hotels are a bit butlins out here unless you get your wedge out.

Google is your friend, and I don't mind showing you a few nice spots for a couple of days, the island of Cres is a favourite of mine but only for a few days as it's a bit small for me but it's close and easy to get to which is why I go there.

It's a great place here, good fresh food and wine etc with very hospitable people that are in close contact with the land and their roots.

I love it, bob dylan is on at the Arena around then too.
Old 01 June 2014, 03:21 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ditchy, I'll bear that in mind.

I have to admit I agree with TH in that my wife is run ragged during the year running around after two kids and holding down a job. I don't want her to have to worry about cooking, cleaning and shopping on holiday. I'm a lazy good for nothing so I'm not going to do it.

On the other hand since I hate crowds and enjoy quiet and privacy a villa would tick those boxes nicely.
Old 01 June 2014, 03:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It's good of you to think about your wife's convenience, Ding.

When both mum and dad have busy jobs, they could do with chilling out on their hols. In reaction, kids will be made up with seeing them well chilled, and they'll benefit with their undivided attention without the mummy one stressing over peeling potatoes while the dad one smokes a big fat cigar in the balcony with a strange looking can of foreign beer . Whatever you two decide, have a good time away with kids.
Old 01 June 2014, 04:44 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same situation Ding - not booked anything yet but need a week away in August.

We've been to Menorca the last two years (Cala Galdana) which we found to be totally devoid of Chavers, hen/stag parties and very family orientated.

Unfortunately too late to book our usual villa, so looking at Tenerife, Playa Blanca etc.
Still struggling to find what looks to be a decent place...

If you find anything at all nice let me know
Old 01 June 2014, 07:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

For an easy family holiday and I don't think you can go wrong with a cheap all inclusive to Egypt. Or Majorca is always good weather and Alcudia is proper family friendly
Old 01 June 2014, 08:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ding , sorted.

Er indoors will love you long time

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p99364.
Old 02 June 2014, 06:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Lol at you lot talking about cooking and cleaning. who the hell cleans a holiday villa?

I prefer my privacy and the problem with "package" holidays for me at least I don't want to be like part of a herd and battle/ que for everything, also you never know what types of people you'll be surrounded by until you get there 5 star or not it's all the same, two weeks of that and i'd need another holiday, it's just posh Butlins to me, the only good thing about those kind of holidays is if there's some fit totty about for ogling and even that's usually vastly out weighed by the number of munters.

But hey if some of you guys want to be sheep and follow the flock fine by me as it means your not where I am.
Old 02 June 2014, 09:40 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Ditch, not going for a villa option doesn't automatically mean that one is left with a package holiday option only. One can book air tickets and hotel independently in a quiet and a bit upmarket place, and still have a peaceful time with family without having to have a holiday in a home from home in some villa.

Also, package holiday doesn't essentially mean following any sheep. families can opt in and out of meals and activities as they like, and they make you packed lunches if you want to go gallivanting. Not all package holidays are like glorified Butlins. Our Egypt 5* one was fantastic. No one was on top of each other, no sheep to follow and plenty of good food. Apart from the locals hassling us for buying their goods we didn't think we did anything substandard from any angle. I think we would still have been moidered to death by the locals if we had holidayed in a villa there.

Not knocking the villa option, it has its charms. Package holiday isn't the only alternative to it.
Old 02 June 2014, 04:34 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I came back from Rhodes last Thursday , would recommend it
Nice peaceful island , holiday village that we stayed in claimed to be 5*..... I wouldn't of said so but very nice.
The kids were never out of the pools etc/small waterpark built in , food was excellent ......beer was ****e
It's the one first choice advertised on tv with the pirate ship etc for the kids
Old 02 June 2014, 05:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you can't go wrong with Greece imo
Old 02 June 2014, 06:18 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks, some good suggestions there.

I'm looking at Greece and the place in Minorca that Zip suggested.

Resort hotels can be as Ditchy describes but that's why I'm very very fussy about which hotel I pick. That doesn't neccasarily mean the most expensive, it just means picking the one that is least likely to be crowded and frequented by people who drink too much.

Anyway, lets see where I end up.
Old 02 June 2014, 06:41 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Ding...
The place I was at was split into two , the 'splash/activity' side and away from that was the 'relax' hotel with the gyms/saunas etc .
Both hotels have the 'swim up' rooms so no messing about for a sun lounger and you just step straight into the pool .

Worth a look online if you get bored for 5 mins
Andi
Old 02 June 2014, 07:14 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Ding...
The place I was at was split into two , the 'splash/activity' side and away from that was the 'relax' hotel with the gyms/saunas etc .
Both hotels have the 'swim up' rooms so no messing about for a sun lounger and you just step straight into the pool .

Worth a look online if you get bored for 5 mins
Andi

I will do Andi, can you give me the name please?

I am slightly put off Rhodes because I went there on a massive bender with the lads many years ago. So my memories (all hazy of course) are one of alcohol fueled debauchery. All very well when I was in my young twenties but not something I want to be near at this stage.

I'm sure there are wholesome parts to it as well though!

Cheers
Old 02 June 2014, 07:32 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Ditch, not going for a villa option doesn't automatically mean that one is left with a package holiday option only. One can book air tickets and hotel independently in a quiet and a bit upmarket place, and still have a peaceful time with family without having to have a holiday in a home from home in some villa.

Also, package holiday doesn't essentially mean following any sheep. families can opt in and out of meals and activities as they like, and they make you packed lunches if you want to go gallivanting. Not all package holidays are like glorified Butlins. Our Egypt 5* one was fantastic. No one was on top of each other, no sheep to follow and plenty of good food. Apart from the locals hassling us for buying their goods we didn't think we did anything substandard from any angle. I think we would still have been moidered to death by the locals if we had holidayed in a villa there.

Not knocking the villa option, it has its charms. Package holiday isn't the only alternative to it.
Being married to a tour guide for 15yrs i've seen the holiday scene from every possible angle. Ultimately it's about horses for courses, I prefer hard core rustic / going native when I travel, i've done the champagne charlie thing and it's not my style I find it boring, i'm a get down and dirty kind of guy and like it best when i'm roughing it, don't get me wrong I like my creature comforts but I get bored of sitting on a beach or by a pool in half a day, I like to soak up the culture, food, drink and sights of the places I visit along with some action and entertainment. Being pampered/catered for is embarrassing for me and I generally prefer to eat off the street or in local eateries.

I guess i'd say i'm more of a traveller than a holiday maker.
Old 02 June 2014, 07:33 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I will do Andi, can you give me the name please?

I am slightly put off Rhodes because I went there on a massive bender with the lads many years ago. So my memories (all hazy of course) are one of alcohol fueled debauchery. All very well when I was in my young twenties but not something I want to be near at this stage.

I'm sure there are wholesome parts to it as well though!

Cheers
I assume that was faleraki (sp)
We was further down the coast....holiday village kolymbia
Old 02 June 2014, 07:37 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Always loved Italy for going on holiday somewhere not to far(7 night holiday). Been to Sorrento in Naples a couple of times with my missus and young son, and the weather in August is usually very nice/hot.

We usually stop at the All inclusive resort Mar Hotel Alimuri, they run a shuttle bus to Sorrento town centre every 15 mins from the hotel, The food for a all inclusive is brilliant(ive been to spain and the all inclusives are usually crap) the bar had Peroni beer on the pull(my favorite beer) its never over crowded and defiantly not chavvy most there where family's, and best of all its not that expensive holiday!!

The pool area was good and you got served drinks all day while lounging by the pool.
Bay of Naples is a beautiful part of the world, and ive been to many parts of the world, and for a quick get-away this is one of my favorites!!

Hotel we stopped at!!
http://www.alimuri.com/

http://www.sorrentotourism.com/en/

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 02 June 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02 June 2014, 07:56 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=scoobyboy1;11441606]Always loved Italy for going on holiday somewhere not to far(7 night holiday). Been to Sorrento in Naples a couple of times with my missus and young son, and the weather in August is usually very nice/hot.

We usually stop at the All inclusive resort Mar Hotel Alimuri, they run a shuttle bus to Sorrento town centre every 15 mins from the hotel, The food for a all inclusive is brilliant(ive been to spain and the all inclusives are usually crap) the bar had Peroni beer on the pull(my favorite beer) its never over crowded and defiantly not chavvy most there where family's, and best of all its not that expensive holiday!!

The pool area was good and you got served drinks all day while lounging by the pool.
Bay of Naples is a beautiful part of the world, and ive been to many parts of the world, and for a quick get-away this is one of my favorites!!

Hotel we stopped at!!
http://www.alimuri.com/

Sorrento looks gorgeous, I've never been and would love to go. The problem is the beach looks quite pebbly and so wouldn't be that user friendly for my kids.
Old 02 June 2014, 08:13 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

There was a sand beech 200 meters down the road the pebble beech was the one in front of the hotel, I said exactly the same before I went, as I usually love the white sandy beeches of the Caribbean, usually the first thing on my holiday wish list, but we stopped by the pool most the time !!!

Last time I went my son was 4 years old, and we took my niece who was 13 years old at the time, and they both loved it!!
Old 03 June 2014, 07:32 AM
fawor
BANNED

Thanks, some good suggestions there.

I'm looking at Greece and the place in Minorca that Zip suggested.

Resort hotels can be as Ditchy describes but that's why I'm very very fussy about which hotel I pick. That doesn't neccasarily mean the most expensive, it just means picking the one that is least likely to be crowded and frequented by people who drink too much.

Anyway, lets see where I end up.
Corfu Aigos Georgias Aquis Sandy beach resort 4*,all inclusive plus hotel bar 30m from a beach.
3 big pools one for kids. Sand on the beach to.

Last edited by fawor; 03 June 2014 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Holiday suggestions for August?