Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Seriously Unfit

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2014, 09:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously Unfit

Due to the exceptional weather forecast for today I decided to dump the car halfway into work and cycle the rest, just over 10 miles. Don't sound much but I'm realising just how unfit I've become. Need to get back into cycling regularly.

I'm hoping we're going to get a shower installed at work, it's been talked about a few times, if so the aim is to do the whole 20 miles in and get the train home, though eventually aiming for 20 miles in and home again. I used to be able to do those sort of distances but need to build up to it again.

Getting on the bike later for the return trip to the car is going to be interesting. Oh well it's a step in the right direction
Old 16 May 2014, 11:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It'll be better now it's warmed up. ..( and you don't need to wear umpteen layers of very expensive "kit" )
Old 16 May 2014, 11:39 AM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the commute daily on my bike and love it but mine is only 7 miles each way (used to do 15 miles each way) so much cheaper and quicker than the car/public transport (I live in Central London!!) and is nice when the weather is good (if a little sweaty) luckily I already have the shower at work so it makes it nice and easy for me.

I use it as training for triathlons so literally go as fast as I possibly can/safe to do. I doubt it will take you very long before you are back to a decent level of fitness and I always feel so much better/more awake/more energetic when I have biked in. I also do a big ride every other weekend of around 40 to 80 miles to supplement the short distance in the week stuff.

A turbo trainer is a good way of putting some miles in getting to a decent level of fitness without having to leave the house whilst still using your own bike and would definitely help build up to doing the full commute

What type of bike do you have just out of interest?
Old 16 May 2014, 12:26 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robj2502
A turbo trainer is a good way of putting some miles in getting to a decent level of fitness without having to leave the house whilst still using your own bike and would definitely help build up to doing the full commute

What type of bike do you have just out of interest?
Was thinking of getting a turbo trainer at some stage, mainly that if I manage to achieve some level of fitness this summer then I can try to maintain it over the winter.

I have a hybrid bike, this beasty http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/tour/nat...lack-anodized/

Only had it a few months, was mainly a mountain bike nut back in the day but now I have young kids so needed something that would tow the trailer and take a child seat (not both at the same time!). Proper road bike is not so good for those purposes though it would be preferable for longer distance stuff.

Still got the knobblies it came with on though inflated to 70psi (tyre says 80psi max) but if I was going to do more commuting I switch to some thinner and slicker tyres.

Last edited by Graz; 16 May 2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 16 May 2014, 12:37 PM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

the turbo trainer certainly does make it easier during the horrible/cold/wet days of winter to be able to put some miles in safely.

That looks like a nice bike

I have this for my commuter:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tia...gle-exclusive/
Which is excellent value for money considering the spec and have carried out a couple of upgrades and fitted raceguard mudguards to keep the road dirt off me and the bike. I also have a full carbon Ridley that has had a load of upgrades that I use as my race bike.

Haha no I don't think a road bike would like towing a trailer or carrying a child seat!

Changing the tyres to something a little more slick will make quite a big difference and will certainly make it easier.
Old 16 May 2014, 12:52 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Turbo trainers are a must in winter for maintaining a certain level of fitness.
I've also gone to the extent of fitting a wall mounted tv with built in dvd to relieve the boredom.
Old 16 May 2014, 01:08 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Turbo trainers are a must in winter for maintaining a certain level of fitness.
I've also gone to the extent of fitting a wall mounted tv with built in dvd to relieve the boredom.
I have my laptop with iPlayer

Sat in the garage for 60 minutes sweating my nads off; like you I need something to relieve the boredom!

Trending Topics

Old 16 May 2014, 01:15 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Graz
Was thinking of getting a turbo trainer at some stage, mainly that if I manage to achieve some level of fitness this summer then I can try to maintain it over the winter.

I have a hybrid bike, this beasty http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/tour/nat...lack-anodized/

Only had it a few months, was mainly a mountain bike nut back in the day but now I have young kids so needed something that would tow the trailer and take a child seat (not both at the same time!). Proper road bike is not so good for those purposes though it would be preferable for longer distance stuff.

Still got the knobblies it came with on though inflated to 70psi (tyre says 80psi max) but if I was going to do more commuting I switch to some thinner and slicker tyres.
You dont need slicks or super narrow tyres to have decent rolling speed. I use 32mm Schwalbe Marathon plus for my road bike. They roll very well, comfy and extremely unlikely to puncture. I can easily average 19-20mph on the flat with these. Your speed limiting factor once you start to get fitter will be gearing, but I used a mountain bike for over a year and used it to work slightly harder. I only changed to a road bike once I could cycle 60 miles on the mountain bike, comfort is what you need to ensure that you keep riding. So try lots of saddles (personally recommend Adamo Road 2) and only adjust one item on your bike to see if it improves comfort.

edit- i have just fitted some Continental Road king to my mountain bike and these roll very well for a light off road tyre, but dont have the best puncture protection, compared to Schwalbe. If i were commuting I would hate to have a puncture, but I prefer to sacrifice a small speed advantage for puncture protection.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-...29er-mtb-tyre/

Last edited by andy97; 16 May 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 16 May 2014, 02:59 PM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

+1 for Schwalbe tyres I use the Lugano's in 700x23 on both my bikes partly because they are available with different coloured bands (and I am a bit of a tart) and partly because they have very good puncture resistance plus they have been equally good in the wet and dry.

Puncture's whilst riding anywhere is pretty rubbish although especially bad on the commute so I found these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-p...h-tyre-levers/
Which are easy to keep in a bag or pocket as they are so small are super easy to use even when wet/cold
Old 17 May 2014, 08:28 PM
motofox01
Scooby Newbie

Ive got Maxxis (wormdrive) on my marin mtn bike and their good for most trails and all road work as their semi slick.got Schwalbe nobby nic (lol) on my Cube mtn bike and i cant tell much differance to be honest.i use to do 30 mile a night(90% rd) in just over an hour n half.Not been on the bike for about 4 year.We did 16 mile last week in about 3 hour and it nearly killed me lol..so i know how ya feel..