Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SOMEONE has been telling LIES!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2014, 06:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default SOMEONE has been telling LIES!

The big supermarkets. Yes, YOU, TOSSCO, for one.

If you can afford to knock 20p per litre off fuel, which is MORE THAN SIX TIMES what you reckon you make in profit per litre at the forecourt, then either you lied about that, or, more likely, you have lied about the level of profit in your supermarkets.

Time to dump the big boys, let the discount supermarkets rule, say I.

Down with TOSSCO........
Old 23 March 2014, 06:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is, you HAVE to buy food and you HAVE to buy fuel, so I don't see how dumping them is going to help you?

As much as I hate big companies there is too many people that don't give a toss or better still can't afford to give a toss.

If money was no object and time wasn't as precious, we'd all be shopping in the local high street at the butchers, the bakers and the candlestick makers.

As it is, money is scarce, time is more scarce and convenience rules the day.
Old 23 March 2014, 06:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Boro
The problem is, you HAVE to buy food and you HAVE to buy fuel, so I don't see how dumping them is going to help you?

As much as I hate big companies there is too many people that don't give a toss or better still can't afford to give a toss.

If money was no object and time wasn't as precious, we'd all be shopping in the local high street at the butchers, the bakers and the candlestick makers.

As it is, money is scarce, time is more scarce and convenience rules the day.
too true mate,altho i have no banned buying chicken/eggs from supermarkets as they taste ****e and are over-priced so i visit a local farm every 2 weeks for my eggs/chicken etc

much cheaper and tastes loads better and its an excuse to drive the scoob
Old 23 March 2014, 06:40 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were worried about money you would go to Aldi or Lidl....

Tesco, etc cannot compete with them and they are starting to realise it!
Old 23 March 2014, 06:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The problem here is Tesco sell the cheapest fuel round here.

Boycot Tesco and buy more expensive fuel? Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that.

I don't do any shopping there...Aldi for the main stuff. Makro for the bulk stuff (although Makro aint cheap anymore). Butchers for the Sunday roast .
Old 23 March 2014, 06:49 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The problem here is Tesco sell the cheapest fuel round here.

Boycot Tesco and buy more expensive fuel? Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that.

I don't do any shopping there...Aldi for the main stuff. Makro for the bulk stuff (although Makro aint cheap anymore). Butchers for the Sunday roast .
Makro have gone up alot, but stuff like washing powder is still so much cheaper there!

I do alot of M+E work for Tesco, Aldi, Sainsburys etc, and it is quite amazing what you notice, Aldi and Lidl have it in the bag, no one could ever hope to compete with them
Old 23 March 2014, 06:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

There is one amusing thing about Tesco - the Jeramy Kyle effect it has in there.

I was in there on remeberance Sunday for some reason (milk or mint sauce or somthing I forgot to buy on saturday). Everyone adopted the minutes silence bar one woman who got mouthy and started chuntering about silences wasting her time over dead people etc. Another woman took great exception to this...and smacked her square on in the face. That shut up her - proper blow landed her on her ****....she kept quiet for the rest of the silence.

You'd never get that in Marks and Sparks
Old 23 March 2014, 06:56 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Too true!

I find you definitely get a lower class of people in aldi and lidl.

"when are you going to open another ****ing till, i dont ****ing have all ****ing day to stand here y'know!"

Do these idiots realise Jeremy Kyle will be on +1 on their expensive sky tv set i have paid for? -.-
Old 23 March 2014, 06:56 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

Its up to 20p per ltr if you are a club card user, So spend more in the shop to get more off fuel

Savings of up to 20ppl on Tesco fuel will be available to Clubcard users under a scheme which the retail giant is about to launch nationally, and will run into the summer. Fuel Save has already been trialled in Wales and offers customers 2ppl off a single fuel transaction for each £50 spent in store or online. Savings can be redeemed straight away or accumulated with subsequent spending over a calendar month with a cap on the discount of 20ppl. Savings not used in the first month can be used any time during the subsequent month. - See more at: http://www.forecourttrader.co.uk/new....sHdIAGrf.dpuf
Old 23 March 2014, 07:30 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I have never shopped in Lidl/Aldi. I am a bit of a brand snob when it comes to grub.... is all the food no-name or am I just assuming it is?
Old 23 March 2014, 07:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I ventured into Lidl recently and was rather impressed: it's not cheap tat, it's actually good stuff and much like shopping abroad.

Very good fresh produce, excellent bread and pastries, good fresh meat and cured stuff, a better selection of nice French wine than all my nearest big name supermarkets.

I'm not shopping there to be a skinflint, I genuinely think they have something different to offer. Just shop carefully.

But as a bonus, a big shop is always £20 less than expected!
Old 23 March 2014, 07:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bit of an explosion recently

Even the old folk make the trip now, because they believe their shop will be cheaper

Morrisons trying to price match , Hey at least peppers are 3 for a quid now, rather than 80p each.... , for crying out loud they are 98% water

Any chance aldi Lidl garages ?

Last edited by dpb; 23 March 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 23 March 2014, 08:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I have never shopped in Lidl/Aldi. I am a bit of a brand snob when it comes to grub.... is all the food no-name or am I just assuming it is?

I know the manageress in our one local Aldi (there are three equal distances apart ). Wages aren't too bad either if you are prepared to work hard for it.

Anyway, I'm well informed that some of the pre packaged stuff comes from the same places as the other supermarkets. Just in their own Aldi branded packaging, well, sometimes. You see they have had the odd delivery error when some stuff turned up with M&S branded packaging
Old 23 March 2014, 08:13 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

If you can afford to knock 20p per litre off fuel, which is MORE THAN SIX TIMES what you reckon you make in profit per litre at the forecourt, then either you lied about that, or, more likely, you have lied about the level of profit in your supermarkets.

Down with TOSSCO........
I have to say this rant confuses me
Old 23 March 2014, 08:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really. ???!!
Seems pretty standard Jeff territory.

Hate the *******s as well, I only step in there since otherwise it's off to sainsburys 4 mile away for high juice ( not the pretend sugar one )
Old 23 March 2014, 08:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I was shopping in LIDL's 8 years ago and got slated on here by the brand snobs .... now EVERYONE is doing it!!!

Why should Pikies be the only ones to benefit from LIDL's amazing quality food and cheap prices?
Old 23 March 2014, 08:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyway, I'm well informed that some of the pre packaged stuff comes from the same places as the other supermarkets.
My wife worked in the fashion business, she went to quite a few Indonesian factories making Ralph Lauren shirts - one production line bagged and shipped as the official branded real deal - "Genuine"

The other production line, (same factory) out the back door sold as "fakes"

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 23 March 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 23 March 2014, 09:48 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro

Me personally I only use butchers and will not buy beef from a supermarket, the quality in beef between the butcher and the local supermarket up here is night and day.
Old 23 March 2014, 10:12 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

The Aldi special deals are quite good, Compressor, 10m Retractable air hose & some air tools £140
Old 23 March 2014, 10:13 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I sometimes pop into Asda for alcohol because their drinks selection is three times the size as my nearest Tesco and you can tell that the quality of people in Asda is a lot different to Tesco. A lot more foreigners, rough people and benefit claimers that's for sure.

I've also popped into Waitrose and John Lewis and you only need to look at the cars in the car park to judge the people!

I've never been to Aldi or Lidl but I will do at some point.
Old 23 March 2014, 10:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

When we lived in the Docklands we had the choice of Asda or Waitrose (and M&S); the difference in customers was fairly dramatic!
Old 23 March 2014, 10:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
I have to say this rant confuses me
What, that out of all the injustices of the world (of which there are many) we should stand up a revolt for - err cheap petrol (and the return of the curly Wurly)
Old 23 March 2014, 11:03 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I filled up with momentum earlier from 1/8 of a tank to full, and it was only £50! It's dropped 4p a litre. With a few pence extra off a litre I'll be saving a small fortune. I tried our local aldi once, the yum yums were the worst thing I've ever tasted! Stale and bland. I've never been back. Maybe I should give it a second chance, but I save all my clubcard points and use them to buy Christmas prezzies. Can't do that at aldi/lidl.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:17 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can only get fuel for my barge in Tesco and Shell, and I can't say I like either company particularly but have no choice.

Do the majority of my grocery shopping in the local Asian supermarket these days, and the rest at Booths.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:18 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Anyway, I'm well informed that some of the pre packaged stuff comes from the same places as the other supermarkets. Just in their own Aldi branded packaging, well, sometimes. You see they have had the odd delivery error when some stuff turned up with M&S branded packaging
Years ago I worked in Netto, similar set-up to Aldi and Lidl, and we regularly had other shops' branded products sent to us. The outer box would say Netto and when you opened it up it would say anything from Asda to M&S on the actual products.

People are still snobby though even if you explain the above. I tried telling a friend that Netto sugar was much cheaper than what she was paying but she refused to buy it 'as it tastes different'. I knew for a fact we got it direct from Tate & Lyle.

The best thing about Aldi/ Lidl (apart from the Magical Aisle of Mystery) is that it takes minutes to actually do the weekly shop. The other supermarkets are too big and have so many 'offers' that you need a maths degree to figure out.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:58 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for Aldi, I've never been in a Lidl. I filled a basket for less than £20 a while ago, on the whole the food was great.

The stigma of shopping in these places is long gone.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:16 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

20p a litre in a 50 litre fill up is £10 and in a circa £50 quid shop Tesco will make circa 25% so they are up and that's £50 not spent in Asda or Morrison's so its win win and you may go back next week. Clever marketing if you ask me.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:47 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
A lot of what Aldi sell is 'no name', but plenty of it is nice enough and it would appear from this thread that plenty comes from the same suppliers of other retailers. I couldn't do a full shop there only because I am super fussy about some stuff, other people are probably not so bad, so it would suit them fine. I've only ever been to a Lidl quite recently, and they are quite different. They sell a lot more branded stuff than Aldi, but there deals can be quite good. Fresh bread from Lidl is excellent imo. Both shops have the 'nice' bargain bit down the middle where a good deal can often be found if you can be bothered to look.

Originally Posted by pslewis
I was shopping in LIDL's 8 years ago and got slated on here by the brand snobs .... now EVERYONE is doing it!!!

Why should Pikies be the only ones to benefit from LIDL's amazing quality food and cheap prices?
You've got a point. For long enough, people have slated cheap shops, it's amazing how times change. It's not really just brand snobs, it's general snobbery for want of a better word. Some people just don't want to shop somewhere they think a certain type of customer would be. Even where I work, some people held exactly the same opinion (not a supermarket) until times got tighter and people came and realised we were selling the same stuff for a lot less. Now we are at the mercy of even cheaper shops to an extent (to the uninformed eye). That bubble will burst one day....

I've never been loyal to one shop. I go where I think I get the best deals, so long as the cost and time of travelling between doesn't outweigh any potential savings. I'm quite lucky in that quite a lot of shops are easily accessible though.
Old 24 March 2014, 01:01 AM
Lisawrx

Down with TOSSCO........
There of course will be some truth to this. I would guess more profit is made in the stores on food etc. than on the forecourt, hence the offer. After all, a customer would have to spend £500 shopping in order to get the full 20p per litre discount. They've regularly had fuel offers in the past, not sure if you've been able to accumulate so much discount together, but I think last year, we had a few vouchers and it meant we got 15p off per litre. Maybe their advertising has been stronger this time.

Fact is though, people's shopping habits have changed and whilst I don't doubt the big companies have been making bloody good profits for long enough they are running scared and will make sacrifices to ensure custom. Supermarkets have offered the cheapest fuel generally speaking anyway, so they must be sacrificing grocery profits here. Thing is, as has been said, times are tight, so many people will go where they believe they are getting the biggest overall saving.
Old 24 March 2014, 02:03 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Down with TOSSCO........
For the hard of understanding... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Quick Reply: SOMEONE has been telling LIES!