Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

pension changes today

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2014, 04:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pension changes today

So you retire with a pot of 100k. Now you can take it all out in one lump sum. What tax do you pay.
Old 19 March 2014, 04:29 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I read this as "typically 20%"

13:27:

Mr Osborne says that if people choose to take their pension pot early, instead of 55%, it will be taxed at a normal marginal tax rate - typically 20%.
Old 19 March 2014, 05:16 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

We are still waiting for guidance on this. Even Osborne realises this one's so big he has to run it past the the pensions industry.

Up 'til now the 55% rate would only apply if:
- you died early - your pension pot would be passed on to your relatives after a 55% tax had been applied.
- You paid in more into your pension pot than the max allowed over your lifetime. The surplus money in your pot over the lifetime allowance is taxed at 55%.

In any case, you'd pay no tax on the first £25,000.

But.. bear in mind: Mr O, has also just put a cap on the size of the UK benefit budget. The plan is that no future chancellor will be able to increase the benefit spend without a vote in parliament. So if you drew all your pension money and blew it, the only benefit you'd get for the rest of you life would be a small pitance share of a fixed benefit budget rather (presumably) than what you'd actually need to live on.
Old 19 March 2014, 05:18 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Fantastic news on pensions. Monumental infact

Well done George O, long overdue, a surprise and finally an end to the daylight robbery and theft from pension providers regarding miserable annuities.You will take out as much as you want and be taxed at your marginal rate be that 20% or 40/45%

Pensions have just come very very attractive for those that have been on the fence about them. Benefit to the government also, the more we withdraw from our pots, the higher their income tax receipts.

Last edited by LEO-RS; 19 March 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 19 March 2014, 05:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

So the 100k you withdraw. Only left with 80k lump sum. Put it in an income paying account and get less than an annuity.
Old 19 March 2014, 05:58 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

An annuity (a guaranteed income for the rest of your life) is very low risk and is guaranteed for as long as you live, so it pays a low rate.

There are mainstream investements that have returned higher income than an annuity or cash but these carry higher risk of losing your lump sum and they aren't guaranteed to continue paying you 'til you die.

It all depends on what you want and how much risk you want to take.

You would need to take advice. I think that's why Osborne is promising 'free' finanacial advice to all retirees. We'll see.

Last edited by SouthWalesSam; 19 March 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 19 March 2014, 06:08 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

But how are you taxed on withdrawing the lump sum, c g t? Then you have an allowance
Old 19 March 2014, 06:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from the annual and lifetime allowances, is there a limit on the proportion of your income you can put into a pension without being taxed?
Old 19 March 2014, 06:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

At LAST us savers get a seriously good budget! Woo hoo!!
Old 19 March 2014, 06:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

As it stands now you can take the first 25% of your pension lump sum tax free. I did it myself two years ago. Don't know whether this will remain though I would hope so.
Old 19 March 2014, 06:23 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Not sure. What are you thinking?
Old 19 March 2014, 06:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Chip, what did you do with the rest?
Old 19 March 2014, 07:20 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by paulr
But how are you taxed on withdrawing the lump sum, c g t? Then you have an allowance
I haven't seen the detailed briefing paper yet but from what I understand [subject to confirmation]:

The first 25% of your pot can be taken tax free. The rest of the money that you withdraw is taxed at the highest rate of tax that you've paid in the tax year you draw the money out:

Basic rate tax payer with £100k pot:
£25k taxed at 0%: £25k - 0 = £25k
£75k taxed at 20%: £75k - £15k = £60k
... giving a total of £85k to invest or spend.

Higher rate taxpayer with £100k pot:
£75k taxed at 40%: £75k - £30k = £45k
... giving total of £70k to invest or spend.

Remember if you invest the money you can still buy an annuity later on if you decide you want the security of an income for life.

Last edited by SouthWalesSam; 19 March 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 19 March 2014, 07:42 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
We are still waiting for guidance on this. Even Osborne realises this one's so big he has to run it past the the pensions industry.

Up 'til now the 55% rate would only apply if:
- you died early - your pension pot would be passed on to your relatives after a 55% tax had been applied.
- You paid in more into your pension pot than the max allowed over your lifetime. The surplus money in your pot over the lifetime allowance is taxed at 55%.

In any case, you'd pay no tax on the first £25,000.

But.. bear in mind: Mr O, has also just put a cap on the size of the UK benefit budget. The plan is that no future chancellor will be able to increase the benefit spend without a vote in parliament. So if you drew all your pension money and blew it, the only benefit you'd get for the rest of you life would be a small pitance share of a fixed benefit budget rather (presumably) than what you'd actually need to live on.

Hi Sam

Is that correct? If I died early would my entire NHS pension pot would be immediately taxed at 55% before being passed onto my wife/kids?

Thanks
Old 19 March 2014, 08:06 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen the detailed briefing paper yet but from what I understand [subject to confirmation]:

The first 25% of your pot can be taken tax free. The rest of the money that you withdraw is taxed at the highest rate of tax that you've paid in the tax year you draw the money out:

Basic rate tax payer with £100k pot:
£75k taxed at 20%: £75k - £15k = £60k
... giving a total of £85k to invest or spend.

Higher rate taxpayer with £100k pot:
£75k taxed at 40%: £75k - £30k = £45k
... giving total of £70k to invest or spend.

Remember if you invest the money you can still buy an annuity later on if you decide you want the security of an income for life.
That doesn't really make sense as if you only had a £100k pot, you're very unlikely to withdraw the whole lot in year 1 to pay the 40% tax. You are taxed as you draw it down and it would make sense even if you did have a substantial pot to drawdown at a rate just below where the 40% band kicks in, 40%+ on the way in, 20% on the way out

Annuities have been legalised theft over the last 5yrs or so in my opinion and I feel sorry for anyone that has had the misfortune of retiring in the last 5-10yrs. £100k buys a £4kpa 3% index linked pension for the remainder of your days, it would take a good 20yrs just to break even and that's ignoring the potential investment returns on the original capital also. Considering the average age for a male is 77 on death, I make that minimum 8yrs short. Awful awful value for saving all your days, even if you do leave 50% to spouse, chances are, you're still not getting anywhere near the value you should.

I wonder if its possible to transfer 'final salary' public sector pensions into this new system? The freedom and flexibility may outweigh the advantage of a public sector pension?

Last edited by LEO-RS; 19 March 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 19 March 2014, 08:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ding

Isn't our pension pot in name only? doesn't the spouse get half of the pension due at the date of retirement.........and the kids get nothing.

Shaun
Old 19 March 2014, 08:39 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Ding

Isn't our pension pot in name only? doesn't the spouse get half of the pension due at the date of retirement.........and the kids get nothing.

Shaun

Shaun, I should know but have to admit I get a bit confused.

I actually thought that each child below the age of 18 gets 1/4 as well
Old 19 March 2014, 08:55 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

life.
So if you are a 40% taxpayer! you should aim to retire in march! then withdraw your money in the new tax year, when in effect you are a zero rate taxpayer.

Still needs clarification I think.

Edit. I get it now. Any money you withdraw is classed as income in that tax year.

Last edited by paulr; 19 March 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 19 March 2014, 09:07 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Apart from the annual and lifetime allowances, is there a limit on the proportion of your income you can put into a pension without being taxed?
Your pensionable income up to a maximum of 40K
Old 19 March 2014, 11:12 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ding

Yep, forgot about dependant children.....1/4 each (maximum of 2) in the 1995 scheme. Still not sure we can take the cash and make a run for it though.

Shaun
Old 20 March 2014, 03:08 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

HELP!!!
I am totally useless with pensions.

Can someone please advise on following:

I have lived for the current tax year in Malaysia and am thus non resident for tax purposes. (will continue to live outwith UK for foreseeable future)
When I lived in UK I was taxed at highest band.

I have various reasonably small pensions in UK which have continued to accrue over the years.
I am NOT reliant on these in future as have a big pension pot from company shares.

Can I now totally cash these pensions in for lump sums and only pay what will probably be lower band tax on overall value? Yes, I am old enough to qualify from that aspect!!

Thanks
Old 20 March 2014, 06:16 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Shaun, I should know but have to admit I get a bit confused.

I actually thought that each child below the age of 18 gets 1/4 as well
There is also an additional provision for death whilst in service, but I don't know what it is - maybe 2 years of pension?
Old 20 March 2014, 06:18 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Still not sure we can take the cash and make a run for it though.

Shaun
I would be extremely surprised if that were the case.
If it were, I think the ink would still be wet on the money as they hand it over - so keep a pair of gloves handy mate
Old 20 March 2014, 07:18 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
There is also an additional provision for death whilst in service, but I don't know what it is - maybe 2 years of pension?

You are right, there is such a provision.

Though I've not read the details, on the face of it these pension changes seem pretty significant.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:00 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I do feel the budget and the governments course of action is a little duplicitous.

On the one hand you've got Auto-Enrollment forcing pretty much everyone into a pension scheme because the state scheme isn't enough.

On the other, the rules on taking pension benefits have been all but removed. There will be pensioners who strip out their pension then end up with nothing. You can't just say tough poop, they will need looking after.

Personally I think the pension relaxation has gone too far.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:55 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Hi Sam

If I died early would my entire NHS pension pot would be immediately taxed at 55% before being passed onto my wife/kids?

Thanks
No.

The changes apply to 'Defined Contribution' schemes only i.e where you pay in £x or y% of your income in regular payments or ad hoc lump sums and end up with you own 'pension pot'.

The changes do not apply to 'Defined Benefits' schemes like the NHS 'final salary' based schemes. These schemes usually have thier own widows and dependants pensions to cover your relatives if you died early. As far as I'm aware the Budget made no changes to these types of pension scheme.

Edit: In fact in the Budget detail there's a proposal to ban people in public sector pension schemes from transferring their pension rights to a Defined Contribution pot and taking advantage of the new changes.

Last edited by SouthWalesSam; 20 March 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 12:07 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Edd... They will still be supported by the benefits system the same way they would be now. They will go from having a private pension income + state pension, to just state pension. The state pension amount being enough to survive on as it is now for many millions of pensioners.

It's your money that you've saved all your life for, why shouldn't you have complete freedom over how it's spent/budgeted for? If you want to blow it all within a year and then live the rest of your days on a sole state pension then so be it but the majority will hopefully be responsible and drip feed from their funds.
Old 20 March 2014, 12:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO-RS
Edd... They will still be supported by the benefits system the same way they would be now. They will go from having a private pension income + state pension, to just state pension. The state pension amount being enough to survive on as it is now for many millions of pensioners.

It's your money that you've saved all your life for, why shouldn't you have complete freedom over how it's spent/budgeted for? If you want to blow it all within a year and then live the rest of your days on a sole state pension then so be it but the majority will hopefully be responsible and drip feed from their funds.
Don't get me wrong those who can budget themselves properly may be better off. If they want, let them have it - but it will cost us all later on.

The whole point of an annuity is to ensure you had a guaranteed income for life - whether it be a little or alot. The rates have been hammered for all sorts of reasons, financial crisis and QE being some of them. But the basic idea to provide an income is sound.

Give folk freedom to take what they want and many will. They will not think about whether the income they take is sustainable. Raising GAD to 150% and maxing income under drawdown pension scheme - its going to run out, plain and simple. Let alone allowing someone with a 100K pension pot to strip it out at 20% over a a few years - then what?

To me, it shows a government trying to make the "now" better and stuff the "tomorrow" so many more people will end up reliant on the state. You could argue that group of people would have ended up on the state anyway so they may as well spend it on beer and bingo.

The whole thing just says don't worry about tomorrow, spend it all now.

Last edited by EddScott; 20 March 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 12:59 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO-RS

I agree pretty much, it will be good for the industry. The companies offering annuities will work harder and offer better rates if they can't force pension savers to take an annuity. Most people who save for a pension will have the save/budget ethic so I doubt many will blow it all away, unless they become terminally ill. Then they should be allowed to pull all their cash if they want.
Old 20 March 2014, 01:59 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The plan is that most people will end up with a pension pot or workplace pension of some sort. Auto-enrolment means that everyone who’s employed will have to start to build a pension pot if their employer doesn’t already have a workplace scheme.

At least now you’ll have a choice over what is best for you. You’ll be able to choose an annuity, or leave your pot invested and take a drip feed income, or a combination of both, or leave your pot to your kids without a mega tax penalty or take a full withdrawal and pay the tax upfront.

Yes, it’s good for the industry but mostly because it encourages people to accumulate a decent pension pot because it’s cheap to put money in (every £100 you put in only costs you £80 or £60 for higher rate taxpayers) and now you’re going to have full choice over how you use it at the other end.

In reality though, from 2015 most people will do what most people do now and buy an annuity. The security of a guaranteed income for life is still going to be the top priority for most people.

Quick Reply: pension changes today