Notices
Midlands (England) Midlands Meetings & Events

Tamworth, the aftermath!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 01:05 AM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those who attended the meet and several others that didn't, know that I had a slight incident on the hump back bridge.
Those who saw it will recall the car flying through the air Dukes of Hazard style.
The result was that I grounded the front towing hooks, set off the airbags and cracked the windsceen. Now having the airbags go off at nearly 70mph is not my idea of fun.
The car drove perfectly after that so obviously no damage to steering or suspension.
Even the boys in blue turned up, but have not heard from them.
I was fine when the incident occurred, but when I sat down for lunch a few hours later I just began to shake. Still, a few glasses of wine and several beers later that night and I was fine.
When the car was looked at I hadn't just grounded the towing hooks but had pushed them and the front chasis member up. As this is where the airbag sensors are located they deployed the air bags.
Result was an insurance claim as it was nearly £3K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re jig front chasis members, 2 new air bags, new airbag control unit, 2 new sensors and the relevant wiring.
The car is back now and as good as new. Put it through its paces this weekend without the stereo on to check for any unusual noises. Everything OK.
Thankfully I protect my NCB so just had to pay the excess.
Will be resetting the trip on future meets!!!
Many thanks for the help and concern by those present at the meet.
See you all again soon,

Jon
Old 12 March 2001, 06:38 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Jon

I`m very pleased to hear that you and your car have recovered ok. It was very unfortunate, thank god for insurance.

I hope this has not put you off attending any further meets organised by us or anybody else in the future.

When we produce reccy notes on these meets, we do it for two reasons,to assist in the enjoyment of your day and most importantly your saftey. Please (everybody) take note of warnings on reccy sheets, they are there for a reason.

Look forward to seeing you all on the next one.

Paul
Old 12 March 2001, 06:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Jon,

Ouch

Thanks for letting us know how it all ended up, and glad that it wasn't _too_ bad.

Maybe seeya (at a sedate pace!) at the Wales Camping Trip?

mb