Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My 06 STi - USDM Blouch 18G-XT

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2013, 04:41 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 06 STi - USDM Blouch 18G-XT

I have had the car a year now...this is my 3rd wrx, 2nd STi. Im hooked... This is my Daily Driver so I built it for reliability for most part and plan to run close to stock boost only. Even if I got 275-300whp I would be happy because stock power made me plenty content

Recently got OEM replacement motor
Group-N motor/trans/pitch mounts
Gates Kevlar Timing belt kit complete
Cobb AP
Turbo - Blouch 18G-XT 8cm hotside
JE Forged Pistons
ARP headstuds
KillerB Oil Pan
KillerB oil Sump
740cc DW injectors
Invidia Catted DP
Borla twin tip CBE
Perrin Turbo inlet
Cobb SF intake+box
Post MAF Tube
Grimspeed 3port ebcs
perrin turbo blanket
perrin radiator shroud
perrin alt shroud
Gus Struts for Hood
Red Mishimoto hoses
Red Perrin Radiator Hoses to install
Mishimoto Oil Catch can to install
Hella Horn/Subiemod kit to install
RallyArmor UR Mud flaps
RallyArmor 3/8" Front Rally Skid
Rota Torque 18x8.5 wheels - 48 Offset
BFG G-Force T/A tires 235/40/18
Flossy Shift ***** x2 custom. white & black
Holographic Door Lights
New Brake pads + rotors
LED Cree lights and light panels all around
Front Rally Swivel Tow Hook
Rear Godspeed towhook
New exedy stg1 clutch
New OEM radiator
New OEM oil cooler
ATI triple guage pod to install
Prosport oil press, boost, water temp to install
oil sandwich plate for sensors
Tinted Windows
Boss Touch Screen DVD/CD/multi player/screen
Console painted white to match car, vent rings also
Yakima Rack with snowboard holders
Custom chrome STi trunk badge
2011 Red Sti badges front and rear on order
oem rear diffuser on order
20% front/rear light tint films on order
Xenon 8000K HID lo-beams
Xenon 8500K 9005 Crystal Hi-Beams
New Duralast Deep cycle battery
SPT Battery tie down
Fatlace plate frames
Custom black STi decals replaced pink

I want to get the Burn-up front bumper & hood asap. I also need grimspeed tgv delete kit, bored intake manifold with their coating. HiQual top mount IC like AMR or process west

COBB SURGELINE is doing my tuning on Tuesday! I have a lil over 1000 break in miles on new motor.

Last edited by RallySoob; 01 April 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 31 March 2013, 04:58 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

I should replace the struts soon.. looking to get highest quality strut style shocks built I can find... Not trying to get coil overs unless I had 5 grand to spend and I dont. Bilstein? I'll investigate. I also need perrin sways/links etc. Suspension is due for some tlc. Other than that the car is like new again. Powertrain is strong as brand new. Tranny is in great shape it seems. Im happy with it. Interior would be cool to pimp out with black alcantara but thats after performance mods

Last edited by RallySoob; 31 March 2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:24 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good matey.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:24 PM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

Thanks... For what this car has been through it looks daaang good...

And I put my 05' through the ringer even harder...

Last edited by RallySoob; 31 March 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 31 March 2013, 08:39 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Nice
Old 01 April 2013, 12:19 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Looks good mate except for the white dash

Steering wheel is on the wrong side too

Is Perrin stuff overpriced like it is over here? I.e circa £50 for 1 wing stiffi or £40 for a battery clamp?????

Last edited by Peedee; 01 April 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:16 AM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Love the details on your car, great looking dash IMO too.
Old 01 April 2013, 03:38 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by romford-boy
Love the details on your car, great looking dash IMO too.
Thanks guys.. American perrin prices are high and I live less than hour from their plant. American subaru forums suck because the guys are rude to eachother so you have to deal with my left hand drive pics haha

The dash was painted white by the previous owner..a girl lol. Go figure. At first I hated it. Now I like it better than silver. The white on white car is actually appealing to more people than not. It gets compliments

I have nearly 40,000$ usdm into this car now. I paid 20 grand cash for the car then put 18 grand into it this last month with all the motor mods & oem longblick from subaru. But its worth it to me. I cant stand the GR STi so buying new wasnt an option. GD for life!

I'll keep this thread up to date so check back in few days. My dyno tuen is at 10am tuesday & i will post the dyno sheets for those interested.

I was stold that it will do 400hp if I pushed big boost but I think I will just do my daily driver map to be 15psi and then race map for 20psi. Economy map has boost cut to bare minimum. Between those 3 maps I can have fun

I will be getting more parts which will require me to re-dyno my car to run them propper.

One thing I am jelous about is your availability of prodrive parts! It seems you guys have access to those parts since many if you have their stuff. They are my favorite. I want their tarmac rally 18" style wheels..GC01 or few others. They make everything tho. Any idea where i can buy their parts?
Old 01 April 2013, 03:39 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

Isnt the real deal WRC SWRT rally cars all left hand drive?
Old 01 April 2013, 05:11 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice car you have there.SJ.
Old 01 April 2013, 06:07 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

Do the New STi's over there all have the 2.0Litre still or have do you guys get to buy the 2.5's now?

I never fully understood why they gave us the better motor. I think it had to do with rally rules on production vehicles or something. My first wrx was an EJ20T and it was really fast. I've seen a guy with an EJ20 road race WRX that redlines at 14,000RPM! But its a race car. I know that motor is just as capable of power but out of the box they are lacking about 40hp and even more trq by comparison
Old 01 April 2013, 08:08 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

The uk Sti from the hawkeye on came with the 2.5 motor, lets just say they ain't the best for tuning unless you upgrade some of the parts such as head bolts and gaskets for a start, then there is the piston issues and the weak liners if pushing for big power, but once done they make for a great road car, just a shame you have to plough money in to them to make them anywhere near as reliable as the newage 2.0 motors, question is do you do it straight away for piece of mind, or do you take the chance and run it in standard form but constantly think about it failing which takes the enjoyment out of driving the car
Old 01 April 2013, 08:18 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

good to know. I had no idea that the uk2.0 motors were built better internally.

I have JE forged pistons, ARP head studs and upgrade head gasket, KillerB +1.3qt oil capacity pan + KillerB sump (USDM Sumps are notorious for snapping in half, mine just did on my last motor). The only issue I did not address was crank bearings and thats because I did not want to split the case on a brand new OEM motor.

The USDM STi also has poor struts. They perform VERY well but they tend to knock after 35K miles or so. Do you guys have that issue also? I want to get upgraded struts asap. Im not sure if I should try to get an STi made strut or go with a different mfger all together. I have a lot of research to do

Is there any USDM parts that you guys would recommend I replace with a UK spec part?
Old 01 April 2013, 10:14 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

We have the same problem with the rear struts here in the UK too. Very annoying!
Old 01 April 2013, 10:22 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

There is a mod that can be done to stop / help the knocking, they fit grease nipples and repack the shocks rather than spending out on new items if you would prefer to stick with oe shocks. Google it may help save some pennies.

And yes the newage 2.0 motors are a hardy unit, very tough if looked after correctly, I'm on a standard 2.0 bottom end running 453bhp and iirc 446(ish) torque, and I ain't shy with the loud pedal when the time permits
Old 01 April 2013, 11:35 AM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

wow that is serious power my friend. That must be a blast to drive. I couldn't fathom that much power myself. How long does a motor built like that tend to last? How much boost?

Im so afraid of breaking mine just cuz I put so much into it and cant really do it again for a while. 90% people shoot for the biggest numbers they can push but from what I hear they aren't getting much milage at all. I drive hard like you do so I hope my car holds up too. I would hope a brand new motor with my mild mods would last like 100K miles. Think its possible? I got 85K miles out of my 05' STi without any motor probs.

I am buying a power train warranty that is 60K miles and/or 5years. Cost like 2200 bucks but it could save me some serious dough if I have any probs. My buddy got same one and they gave him 15 grand to rebuild his wrx powertrain. Then he upgraded big time with the money.

Last edited by RallySoob; 01 April 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01 April 2013, 12:25 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

It was running 2 bar of boost but I've dialled it down a bit now, its running 1.8bar and tails off to 1.65 holding to the redline should I want it to, car is on 80k now and on the original engine, it has had no work done to it, all totally standard apart from the bolt on bits like the turbo, injectors etc, but mechanically all is standard.

How long will it run? No idea is the honest answer, I look after it well and what ever it needs it gets really, serviced every 3k miles with new oil and filter to keep her fresh, and to be fair (touch wood ) all is well it pulls like a train from the word go! I'm on a twinscroll setup so makes boost low down and hits hard when its in, I'm on full boost by circa 3200rpm so makes for a real nice road car. If it does go **** up then I'm prepared for that and will have a motor built, but at this moment in time I'm not entertaining that idea unless I need to is the honest answer, however as said if it does shìt it's self then I've had a god dam good run on a oe engine
Old 01 April 2013, 12:54 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Here's a video I found on YouTube showing the grease nipple mod on the rear shocks.

There may be others.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dash is gash.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:42 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks spot on pal
Love it
Old 02 April 2013, 04:09 PM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

My dyno tune appt is 2 hours...wml!
Old 02 April 2013, 04:11 PM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

Thanx for vid fozz!!!!
Old 02 April 2013, 10:04 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks top notch pal, great job
Old 05 April 2013, 02:32 PM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

here is mock up of my gauge cluster...I couldnt wait. I had to see what it looks like. I ordered the carbon face plate for it too. And I am having them instlled the day after they come. Im anxious too see the gauge quality. They are supposed to be higher quality than pro-sport, closer to defi and each has led screen, warning lights, tones and color changing between white/red and both at same time. They all sweep on startup. I hope to make them sweep at same time as oem cluster.

I plan to run 4 gauges more, At least 2 more. Oil temp, A/F ratio, volts, exhaust temp. I want a dual pod pillar mount setup and then the replacement oem gauge cluster housing that has integrated guage pods on the outer most edges as to not obstruct view of stock guage cluster unlike the steering column mounted gauge pods.

Also, I am building 4 new struts soon (these have 107K on them), I might go for half or 3/4 inch drop springs. I want perrin front/rear anti-sway bars in 22mm as well as all the upgraded endlinks/bushings etc. I may get some other bracing to enhance oversteer/minimize under steer. It is time to address the suspension. Every car I have been in that has coil-overs was a very rough ride and I wouldn't want that on my DD. I'm sure some very expensive coilovers would be great but I dont have more than 1-2grand to spend on the 4 struts complete.

Last edited by RallySoob; 05 April 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:48 PM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

310hp/315trq on 18.5psi - mild tune - rich as can be efficiently. on 19.5 I hit 373hp/395trq but didnt want a map that aggressive. Now I knida wish I got a 23 psi map to use just for racing. That would of been tuned for E85 and been like 400HP. Oh well. I'll do it on my next dyno tune after I get headers, tvg delete, intake manifold bored out & coated by GrimmSpeed. I also need that process west top mount intercooler kit. And top feed 1100 DI injectors for that new topfeed intake manifold.

Last edited by RallySoob; 05 April 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:58 PM
RallySoob
Scooby Regular

I have almost 2K miles and I am having so much fun! Its a huge power increase for me and the driving experience is way different when your turbo makes crazy spool sounds all time and the exhaust makes a sound that is so aggressive I'm sure it scares people when I pass by them on the throttle...like a Harley street rod lol. I love this thing. I thought I love the STi before but now I am so estatic I can't explain it. YEARS I drove stock impreza's. Never once did I think I would even have a nice mild build like this let alone a spare LONG Block motor to build anyway I want. Which I kind of want to get rebuilt, race ready for 400whp but even more solid build with lower end and valvetrain/cams like weber 272 or something. I want to get it in my car while my current motor is still healthy so I have a backup after I blow up the race motor. Basically the end goal is to have a race motor and Daily Driver motor both running optimally. Once I dyno the other I will have maps on my tuner to swap motors without having to go back in for a dyno tune each time. I have a friend that owns a shop that does the swaps well and for cheap. I got a quote on the race build for 4300 USD which included everything but cams so its going to be about 6 grand after those and valves/springs/retainers etc.

Last edited by RallySoob; 05 April 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 08:31 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RallySoob

Is that an under door light? How did you do that?
Old 05 April 2013, 08:40 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy them for most cars.
Old 05 April 2013, 08:42 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Led puddle lights on eBay
Old 05 April 2013, 09:50 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Looks great shouldn't you ditch the top mount with that power though?

TX.

Quick Reply: My 06 STi - USDM Blouch 18G-XT