Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Red Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2013, 07:41 PM
mike2367
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Lights!

finally got the time to sit down and play with all the LEDs, bulbs and resistors i bought off ebay and im very happy with the result.

i'll be sorting out some hawkeye or JDM speedo dials soon and wanted to change the other lights in the interior to red to match in advance (cant stand the green, reminds me of an old daewoo :P)

changed the ignition barrel light...

ashtray/lighter...

and the most annoying and fiddly bit by far, the HVAC controls (heater etc)

still need to change the the lights to the lower right of the steering wheel (fog lights and headlight adjuster) and the electric window switches in the door but i need to open these up and have a look how they are lit.

thanks, Mike.
Old 05 January 2013, 08:29 PM
samben
Scooby Regular

Looks good matey!

have you just changed the old bulb with a coloured LED and resistor to sort this?

im looking to get my blobeye dials abit brighter and was considering changing the bulbs to LED's

sam
Old 05 January 2013, 08:41 PM
#68 rb5
Scooby Regular

How to would be very helpful. Love the idea of this.
Old 05 January 2013, 08:46 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, I'm think about blue/white for mine
Old 05 January 2013, 08:50 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please teach me how to change the heater controls to red. The green doesn't go with anything in my interior anymore

Wiley
Old 05 January 2013, 09:06 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

The fog/IC switch`s have a small removable bulb in the side of them, The replacements you can get or the ones i found are about 0.5-1mm larger at the end where it goes into the switch so gave them a file down as its a plastic mount, easy job, You still have to remove the green tint/film off the back of the illuminated front part, Not sure on the door switches as mine dont light up
Old 05 January 2013, 09:24 PM
mike2367
Scooby Regular

for all those looking to do the same, i cant take the credit as i followed some how to vids here...

here...

and here...

the ashtray and ignition are just simple bulb swaps (but you do have to get into the steering column cover but that's a doddle), the heater controls involve opening them up and adding some LEDs resistors and a bit of soldering and drilling (this is the scariest part as there isn't a lot of room to get your drill bit in and its milometers from the circuit board, plus i used a dremmel with "dentist" as its slowest speed setting :P).

I bought everything i needed from eBay for about £7 all in (not including tools like the soldering iron etc).

i do love how it looks though, was a bit more of a ball ache than the video made out but that's probably because i'm not experienced with electronics and soldering. would definitely be quicker to do a second time around.

I'm not sure how different it is to do on the older bugeye style heater controls but i remember reading somewhere that its a bit easier, sure there's a similar how to vid knocking around somewhere online.

now to look for decently priced jdm/hawkeye clocks!

thanks, Mike.

Last edited by mike2367; 05 January 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05 January 2013, 09:26 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I went the other way , got green gauges !
Old 05 January 2013, 09:28 PM
mike2367
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
The fog/IC switch`s have a small removable bulb in the side of them, The replacements you can get or the ones i found are about 0.5-1mm larger at the end where it goes into the switch so gave them a file down as its a plastic mount, easy job, You still have to remove the green tint/film off the back of the illuminated front part, Not sure on the door switches as mine dont light up
they might be the same T5 bulbs that go in the ashtray/ignition, hope so as i have 3 more of those, and they are the shorter "flat head" type rarther than the standard dome headed ones.

i'll post up when ive got round to checking them.
Old 05 January 2013, 09:54 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Yeh could be but now come to think of it they could have been T3`s, Small fiddly little *******.
Old 07 January 2013, 06:48 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike2367
for all those looking to do the same, i cant take the credit as i followed some how to vids here...
http://youtu.be/BVjGogk88Vo

here...
http://youtu.be/w8G5jjz3Y74

and here...
http://youtu.be/NYkpNjw1SbI

the ashtray and ignition are just simple bulb swaps (but you do have to get into the steering column cover but that's a doddle), the heater controls involve opening them up and adding some LEDs resistors and a bit of soldering and drilling (this is the scariest part as there isn't a lot of room to get your drill bit in and its milometers from the circuit board, plus i used a dremmel with "dentist" as its slowest speed setting :P).

I bought everything i needed from eBay for about £7 all in (not including tools like the soldering iron etc).

i do love how it looks though, was a bit more of a ball ache than the video made out but that's probably because i'm not experienced with electronics and soldering. would definitely be quicker to do a second time around.

I'm not sure how different it is to do on the older bugeye style heater controls but i remember reading somewhere that its a bit easier, sure there's a similar how to vid knocking around somewhere online.

now to look for decently priced jdm/hawkeye clocks!

thanks, Mike.
very nice m8 i took the short drive to scotland and back 400 mile roundtrip one saturday where a bloke did all this for me

as for your switches down to the right i think he changed the bulbs and scraped off the green backing inside the switch

Old 07 January 2013, 07:26 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

geez the hvac controls are a right faff, my drill would be going straight through to the other side lol, guy in the vid makes it look simples.
Old 07 January 2013, 09:41 PM
samben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I went the other way , got green gauges !
I got the green gauges to match too, its always annoyed me how dim the dashboard dial lights are though.

Hopefully a few green LED's may sort this!
Old 08 January 2013, 01:41 AM
mike2367
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
geez the hvac controls are a right faff, my drill would be going straight through to the other side lol, guy in the vid makes it look simples.
I used a dremmel and im not gonna lie, i was bricking it when i was drilling. One slip and youre going straight through some important component on the circuit board. The slowest speed on my dremmel is something like 2000rpm, so couldnt even start slow with a guide hole.

One thing i'll say, if you attempt this, you will hate the guy on the video by the end, especially the way he says "solder"
Old 08 January 2013, 01:44 AM
mike2367
Scooby Regular

Looks really good that dave.

Dont suppose you know what type of bulbs he used for the switches and windows? Getting conflicting information all over the net.

Cheers. Mike