Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

pic request- carbon roof

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2012, 05:27 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pic request- carbon roof

Hi folks, anyone here able to share a few pictures off there carbon or just plain black gloss vinyl wrapped roof / spoiler, silver car here which I think would look great with the gloss black roof / tp[ part off spoiler just looking for a bit off feedback first.

how difficult is it to get a decent diy finish with this wrap on a car roof ( sunroof fitted ) also any recommended vinyls to look for ?

cheers
Old 18 December 2012, 10:08 AM
Blitzer09
Scooby Newbie

There ya go dude
Old 18 December 2012, 06:37 PM
bigSi
Scooby Regular

Heres my gloss black roof, just had a full respray and went for a painted gloss black roof.

And this is my spoiler before i got my respray... i wrapped it matt black.

I do this for a living as i have a signs/ graphics shop... for best finsh always use a hairdryer to manipulate round corners and bends so you dont have creases all over it!

I done my spoiler with sign vinyl as its better quality than vinyl wrap, but the propper vinyl wrap material is a lot easier to work with and can be re-positioned if you lay it wrong, so i suggest you use that for your first time~!

This is just a matter of opinion and im not knocking anyone!!! but i personally dont like the carbon fiber copy stuff, iv done countless customers interior parts, spoilers, mirrors etc and it always looks really cheap and doesnt look anything like real carbon fiber, it looks more like rubber! if your going to do it i personally recomend matt black because it gives a lovley finish and stays looking nice no matter how long its on. gloss black vinyl scratches really bad when washed and youl end up with swirls all over it, hence why i opted for gloss black paint on my roof rather than vinyl! plus paint always gives a propper deep shine, gloss vinyl doesnt and dulls over time as it scratches.
Old 18 December 2012, 08:29 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks so much guys, great pics and some very useful info , bit wiser now !!
Old 18 December 2012, 08:46 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

Here's mine,it's matt black though

Old 18 December 2012, 08:49 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres my roof,its the same colour of the rest of my car without any fake crap stuck to it

Old 18 December 2012, 08:57 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

have a look here ...
http://www.pwpro.co.uk/cars/vinyl-wrapping
Old 18 December 2012, 08:57 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Or you just put the real deal on Tubs

Old 18 December 2012, 08:58 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Or you just put the real deal on Tubs

real is the only other option, sticky back plastic is for kids
Old 18 December 2012, 09:06 PM
bigSi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
real is the only other option, sticky back plastic is for kids

See this is EXACTLY what i mean about the horrible so called carbon fiber vinyl, it looks absolutly NOTHING like this, this looks beautiful!
I agree 100% if your gonna go the Carbon route do the real deal or nothing at all.

Top job mate that looks the dogs Ballzzzz
Old 18 December 2012, 09:40 PM
mazmike
BANNED

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
heres my roof,its the same colour of the rest of my car without any fake crap stuck to it

LOL
Old 19 December 2012, 05:31 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigSi
Heres my gloss black roof, just had a full respray and went for a painted gloss black roof.

And this is my spoiler before i got my respray... i wrapped it matt black.

I do this for a living as i have a signs/ graphics shop... for best finsh always use a hairdryer to manipulate round corners and bends so you dont have creases all over it!

I done my spoiler with sign vinyl as its better quality than vinyl wrap, but the propper vinyl wrap material is a lot easier to work with and can be re-positioned if you lay it wrong, so i suggest you use that for your first time~!

This is just a matter of opinion and im not knocking anyone!!! but i personally dont like the carbon fiber copy stuff, iv done countless customers interior parts, spoilers, mirrors etc and it always looks really cheap and doesnt look anything like real carbon fiber, it looks more like rubber! if your going to do it i personally recomend matt black because it gives a lovley finish and stays looking nice no matter how long its on. gloss black vinyl scratches really bad when washed and youl end up with swirls all over it, hence why i opted for gloss black paint on my roof rather than vinyl! plus paint always gives a propper deep shine, gloss vinyl doesnt and dulls over time as it scratches.
Further to your excellent advice above just wonder if you could advise just what matt black wrap would you advise to go for ? plenty on eBay but a bit unsure whats best for DIY etc ?! The car I will be carrying it out on actually has a very small roof area anyway and a factory fit sunroof so overall area requiring the wrap is fairly small.

From your own personal experience can acceptable results be achieved by a novice via DIY ?

Just wonder if a nice quality heavy weave matt black carbon look vinyl is available ? Just a bit unsure if its going to be plain matt black or matt black carbon effect vinyl I decide to go for, seen some lovely examples off both via google images and just a bit unsure !! Appreciatte what you say re your own personal findings off carbon effect vinyl but again due to the very small area requiring wrapped think I could possibly get away with it.

Thanks again for your excellent advice,
John
Old 19 December 2012, 05:53 PM
bigSi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Further to your excellent advice above just wonder if you could advise just what matt black wrap would you advise to go for ? plenty on eBay but a bit unsure whats best for DIY etc ?! The car I will be carrying it out on actually has a very small roof area anyway and a factory fit sunroof so overall area requiring the wrap is fairly small.

From your own personal experience can acceptable results be achieved by a novice via DIY ?

Just wonder if a nice quality heavy weave matt black carbon look vinyl is available ? Just a bit unsure if its going to be plain matt black or matt black carbon effect vinyl I decide to go for, seen some lovely examples off both via google images and just a bit unsure !! Appreciatte what you say re your own personal findings off carbon effect vinyl but again due to the very small area requiring wrapped think I could possibly get away with it.

Thanks again for your excellent advice,
John
If your going to go for a propper wrap material they're all pretty much the same, the only difference is the grading (thickness) but as its for a roof i personally would go for the cheappest one as the cheapest are usually the thinnest and easier to work with. i would also suggest you go for a wrinkle/bubble free material wherever possible especially being a novice as its hard to get a perfect finish without any bubbles with normal wrap.

When it comes to fitting, there are actually 2 methods, Wet application or dry application. i suggest you do a wet application, its where you use a soapy solution and squirt the sticky side of the vinyl before laying it on the roof, this way it will slide around and you can position it exactly where you need to without fear of it sticking before your ready. When you've got it in the perfect place you just start to squeege the water out from the middle of the roof outwards, it will then stick to the roof and the adhesive will dry out leaving you with a perfect bubble free finish aswell if you take your time and do it right!