Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

MY99 792 royal sliver 2000 turbo saloon

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2012, 06:32 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 792 royal sliver 2000 turbo saloon

well, after a few months of owning my my98 uk wagon the opertunity came up for me to own what ive always wanted - a saloon!

after looking at a few dogs (and believe me, their are a few out there) i found a guy local to me who needed a swap as his insurance was too high for him (he was 19 and didnt think the scooby through properly) so after a good 45 min looking over and a test drive, an exchange was made for the other halfs fiesta and she was mine

these where when i got her home:-

few specs:-

1999 uk turbo
90,000 genuine miles
full subaru service upto 79K inc new cambelts, pullies etc
792 royal silver
4 POT front brakes
crystal headlights and foglights
HPI clear etc

as with most scoobies that are owned by young drivers, they have their problems - and this one was no exception!!

as you can see, the previous owner was, what can only be described (imo) as a bit of a chav. he added some horrible 17" league alloy wheels. these where immidatly changed over for my 16" WRX alloys

handles much better, and imo, looks much better aswell.

then when the car was home it was a case of problem finding and trying to sort out as much as i could with what i had available to me.

problem number 1 was a boost leak - after a few hours of checking hoses and everywhere i could, my last port of call was the DV that was fitted, so after changing that one back to a standard recirc valve the difference was immidiatly noticable!

she spooled so much better, held boost all through the range and was much happier - so that was one problem sorted

problem number 2 was the engine - or the poor condition it had been allowed to get in. after checking the extencive service history, it had been noted the car had a major service inc cambelt, pullies, idlers etc @ 79K - the current millage is only 90K. the problem is is that the car hasnt had a service or an oil change in the last 11K - so it was booked straight in and EVERYTHING was changed, oil, ALL filters, plugs, leads. also a fellow forum member also discovered that the inner CV had split on the passengers side and was pissing out all over the engine bay. the CV was changed along with the servece, and since its all been done the car is a quiet as a mouse with no nasty knocks, rattle or bangs - another problem solved

then i set about resorting the ol' girl back to what i think is a reasonable car. first job was to remove all the god awfull ICE he's thrown in there, including a strobe light in the intercooler scoop!! so after an afternoon and some help, all this was removed:-

there was also a HUGE sub box in the back aswell, thats now sat in the shed awaiting a hammer so that was a further problem resloved ....

but that then exposed a new problem - the standard subaru wiring for the speakers was comprimised, and as a result i now only have sound coming through the right front and rear speakers, the left side does not work at all - so this is something i am going to have to look into - the only solutuion at this point in time is a complete rewire of the left hand side

problem number 3 - the young'un told me he had removed the vent covers off the bonnet as the engine got "ded 'ot" so it helped cool the engine

as a relust, water has been dripping into the engine bay near to where the alarm siren sits, which led to this...

the bracket holding the alarm has snapped, also i have no audiable sound from it either - when my alarm goes off, the indicators flash but no sound comes from the alarm unit - susspected water ingress. so i now have to find 2 bonnet vent covers.

problem number 4 - during the service my guy pointed out that a 1 way breather pipe was broken - but it had already been superglued back togehter once!

so now a replacment one of these is on the every growing list - and couple this with not having a propper fuel cap made for a not happy scooby - a new fuel cap was sourced and put on within 30 seconds of mr postman handing it to me

the guy has also taken the SUBARU badge off the boot which is bugging me as the back end looks too bare - so a new SUBARU badge is on the list.

but these are small trivial things that arnt urgent (ish) to sort - along the way i did treeat myself to one or 2 things firstly was a standard recirc vlave which was fitted as soon as i picked it up, second of all where these:-

they will be sprayed up to match as soon as i get time.

i have a few plans for her, they are subtle changes but will be enough imo to keep me more than happy. plans are:-

colour code the skirts and rear bumper skirts
V5 / V6 high level rear spoiler
fog light blanks (already got - just need spraying)
STI rear lights
crystal sidelights and indicators (already have crystal front lights and fogs)
rebadge the rear end
POSSIBLE P1 front splitter

and thats about it sorry for the dribble but i like to go into detail lol

any comments and critasisms welcome
Old 26 May 2012, 07:47 PM
Oggy249
Scooby Regular

Hi looks like you know what you want good luck with it and glad you binned them wheels lol
Old 26 May 2012, 08:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice with the wheels, the previous ones were rank
Old 26 May 2012, 11:24 PM
555sport555
Scooby Regular

hopefully i wont get in trouble for this but i MIGHT have a subaru badge going if your intrested.
Old 27 May 2012, 12:17 AM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

might be interested - all depends on cost fella, i havnt got 2 pennies to rub together at the monent as its dreaded car tax this week
Old 27 May 2012, 12:29 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Well done mate nicely de-chavved and bringing nicely back to full health.
Old 27 May 2012, 09:07 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well done fella, nicely de-chavved and a very clean example once you've sorted the niggles out.

My MY99 S-plate wagon is royal silver and looks really nice after a clean, far better than the dull 406 paint I had on a previous Scoob years ago. I managed to pick my example up with 99k, decent service history and some respray work done (not perfect but good) for £1400.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for her? Paintwork looks in good order.
Old 27 May 2012, 12:41 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

cheers guys

she does polish up well (just spent the past 2 hours on her) but i didnt have any TFR so atm the painwork isnt 100% to my liking. ive got some meguires ultimate compound so i'll be cutting her back and starting again from afresh to get the paint shiney again

as i said i swapped the mrs 03 plate fiesta for it, and both cars where advertised at £1500 so i think thats a fair price considering the lowish milage and top notch service history (untill the young'un got it that is)
Old 27 May 2012, 03:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Yes fella, good deal in fairness. By god those wheels were gash lol
Old 27 May 2012, 04:34 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

I have the subaru lettering off my wagon if you want it? Just cover the postage & you and have it?
Old 28 May 2012, 01:10 PM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good so far mate, massive improvement from when you first got it