my idiots guide to fitting a Sun Strip + Logo

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2011, 11:28 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default my idiots guide to fitting a Sun Strip + Logo

Though I'd share with you on Sn too

Ok Ok, after how sunny it was going to the NBO9, I decided that the 330s needed a sun strip.
Whilst at the NBO, there was a company selling a sun strip + any logo for £10. WINNER

Yesterday (Tuesday) I started fitting it. Here is my idiots guide to fitting a sun strip on your car.

TOOLS NEEDED:
soapy/water in a spray bottle.
tape measure.
a plastic credit card.
sharp Stanley blade.
soft cloth.
some tape (to allow lining up of the S/S)

1. Clean front window glass well and dry off, measure thete depth of your sun strip (6"). On either side of the windscreen line up and mark with tape on the inside of your window the 6" depth. I lined up the sun strip on the glass, used tape to hold it in place to see how it lined up across the glass. Being inside the car you can then use bits of tape to follow the line of the sun strip to give you a guide line when fitting.

2. Remove the S/S and spray the soapy water over the top part of the windscreen.

3. Peel the backing carefully off the S/S bit by bit and apply to the glass. Keeping the glass and the S/S wet using the soapy water. The soapy water allows you to slide the SS in place and line up with the tape marks.

4. Once you feel its in place, from the centre down use the credit card to express the water from under the SS, this then makes the SS stick. with care slowly work towards the edges of the glass, lightly pressing it into the edge. On either side use the credit card as a 'straight edge' to cut the vinyl into the sides of the window glass. use the soft cloth to dry off the water around the edges.

5. Along the top trim off the excess vinyl using the same method (using the credit card as a protection 'straight edge' when cutting)

6. When all trimmed, dry off any water and re squeegee any last soapy water bubbles from under the SS. dry off again with soft cloth. make sure all edges are trimmed and stuck down.

7. NEXT DAY: once SS is all dry you can now apply the logo knowing that the SS will not slip. using the soapy water method again (so you can slide it about) Line up where you want the logo to go, I've allowed 1" up from the bottom of the sun strip. use some tape to hold in place, stand back and make sure it's where you want it to go.

8. Once in place and your happy, Use the credit card and express the air/soapy water bubbles from under the top application tape. Dry any water off from around the logo... then VERY carefully peel off the top application tape, use the credit card to hold down the logo as you guide and peel off the top holding tape layer, doing it this way allows you to keep the Logo in place without pulling it up as you pull the holding/application take. When the application tape has been removed you can carefully dry off the logo and check to see if you need to press any water bubbles out that might still be showing.

9. Stand back and admire your handy work.. then clean the rest of the windscreen from all the water runs.

10. all clean.

I think I've covered it all, any questions.. just ask
Old 29 June 2011, 11:41 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bygones

Do you have one with ROD on one side and BRIT on the other?
Soz, 70's thing!
Old 29 June 2011, 11:43 PM
scotty44
Scooby Regular

Nice write up SK

Just 3 things....
1 : Soapy water - only use 2 or 3 drops of washing up liquid (baby shampoo my fav) or you will make bubbles/foam, the liquid breaks the water down into smaller drop's, to much liquid will make a foam
2 : If your using a credit card make sure you wrap it in a paper towel or fold some masking tape around the edge or you will mark the vinyl
3 : £10 , think I need to up my prices up to match that
Old 30 June 2011, 12:24 AM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

I thought sun strip went on the inside of the glass ? remember the ones you used to get from local car shops came rolled up for about a quid ?
I had a dark blue tint one I had it for years, and you could just peel it off when selling the car. Then a bit of hot breath and it was back on your new motor
Old 30 June 2011, 12:44 AM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default tacky!

Favourite one driving around Penzance in mid 1970's

TAX IN POST
Old 30 June 2011, 06:56 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Slugmeister
Do you have one with ROD on one side and BRIT on the other?
Soz, 70's thing!
don't talk so stupid, you wouldn't have said that to Peta, Richard or Colin. lol
They serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by scotty44
Nice write up SK

Just 3 things....
1 : Soapy water - only use 2 or 3 drops of washing up liquid (baby shampoo my fav) or you will make bubbles/foam, the liquid breaks the water down into smaller drop's, to much liquid will make a foam
2 : If your using a credit card make sure you wrap it in a paper towel or fold some masking tape around the edge or you will mark the vinyl
3 : £10 , think I need to up my prices up to match that
yep, just a few drops to make the water sopay.. i used a bit of TurtleWax car shampoo.
True about the credit card thing, make sure its a 'clean' edge. I wrapped some soft cloth arundthe edge. But Black vinyl does mark easy anyway, just be careful Wiper blades over it cause marks too.

Originally Posted by wr pete
I thought sun strip went on the inside of the glass ? remember the ones you used to get from local car shops came rolled up for about a quid ?
I had a dark blue tint one I had it for years, and you could just peel it off when selling the car. Then a bit of hot breath and it was back on your new motor
LoL, what about the Green ones tha say.. ' Isle of Man TT racing
'
Old 01 July 2011, 06:45 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I thought they were meant to go on the inside

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2011, 07:17 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

^^^
I'll let you do that write up
Old 01 July 2011, 07:28 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty44
Nice write up SK

Just 3 things....
Agreed baby shampoo is best, although a drop of Fairy Lipsquid is fine!
I use a rubber edged tile grouter from B&Q instead of a cc, pretty much like a mini squeegee. I use the corner of the cc for marking where to trim the vinyl though

Originally Posted by wr pete
I thought sun strip went on the inside of the glass ?
Originally Posted by greatgonzo
I thought they were meant to go on the inside
They can, infact mine is, albeit a plain one. Saves wearing the wiper blades out.
Bear in mind if doing an internal one with logo that a) the logo is cut out reversed (back to front) and b) the logo goes on before the sunstrip!!