Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Some Pics Of A Run To North Wales

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2010, 10:02 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Pics Of A Run To North Wales

Just thought I would post up some pics of a run up to North Wales that myself and four other members (Blue Dragoon, WRX-STI, MP24 and Catalunya 172 but he had to pull out due to a suspected bottom end failure) of South Wales Scooby's did last Saturday.

We started from Merthyr Tydfil and went through Brecon, Builth Wells, Rhyader, the Elan Valley, Aberyswyth, Machynlleth, Dolgellau, Blaenau Festiniog, Betws-Y-Coed, Snowdonia and finally Llanberis.

We did not get many photo chances due to the driving rain and mist seeming to cover the whole route, it was only when we parked up in Llanberis for a meal and a chat did the sun show itself.

Some pics of the drive out of Llanberis, some very nice scenery up there but the road conditions left quite a lot to be desired.

After coming back down the west coast I decided to take a break and see if I could get some decent shots against the setting sun, not sure what to think of them really.

I know the car is filthy dirty but having just covered around 400 miles I didn't have time to clean it.

I would recommend these roads and route to anyone wanting a nice drive out in God's country but I would hope that you would have better weather.
Old 24 August 2010, 10:12 PM
Ricerocket0_1
Scooby Regular

Fantastic.........a run I do regular in my Subaru. The out laws live in Tenby, Pembrokeshire and I do the run from Blackpool. I alternate the root for the spectacular view's across Wales.
Old 24 August 2010, 10:36 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Nice snaps ty, car dont look too dirty in the pics considering the 400 mile jaunt.
Old 24 August 2010, 10:49 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ricerocket0_1
Fantastic.........a run I do regular in my Subaru. The out laws live in Tenby, Pembrokeshire and I do the run from Blackpool. I alternate the root for the spectacular view's across Wales.
Some great roads you must drive on regularly, spectacular views all the way. It's jusy a pity that some of the roads in North Wales could do with seeing some new tarmac being laid.

Originally Posted by Cd09
Nice snaps ty, car dont look too dirty in the pics considering the 400 mile jaunt.
That must have been the driving rain cleaning the car for me, it does need a good clean though and in the inner arches are covered in cow dung/mud due to a short cut that I took between Newquay and Llandysul.

I did plan on stopping just before Aberaeron in a cliff top layby to take some pics with Cardigan Bay as a backdrop but the poxy layby was full on 'newage' travellers.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:08 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a good day out. I was up that way about 3-weeks ago staying in Llanwrst (my folks have a caravan there). Went across to Caernarfon and stuck behind a bus on the Llanberis pass

The A5 was clear when I came back though
Old 25 August 2010, 10:27 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Some good shots there...

I recently had a similar strip with a mate in his 350Z. We went from London to North Wales where we took in the EVO triangle, A5 pass from Bangor to Bets-y-Coed amongst others. The A5 pass is simply epic when passing between the mountains... Stunning views!

Did you venture as far as Bangor? There are a couple of nice long tunnels between Conwy and Bangor

I'm heading back to Pembroke in a few weeks for a family venture. Unfortunately it looks like being M4 all the way . Any suggestions for good roads in S.Wales?

Last edited by rossi_p; 25 August 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:57 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Looks like a good day out. I was up that way about 3-weeks ago staying in Llanwrst (my folks have a caravan there). Went across to Caernarfon and stuck behind a bus on the Llanberis pass

The A5 was clear when I came back though
It was a good day out except for the weather and the occasional flat cap driver in the way , it was just a pity that the best stretch of road on the drive - the Mountain road between the Elan Valley and Aberystwyth was so bloody wet and misty.

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Some good shots there...

I recently had a similar strip with a mate in his 350Z. We went from London to North Wales where we took in the EVO triangle, A5 pass from Bangor to Bets-y-Coed amongst others. The A5 pass is simply epic when passing between the mountains... Stunning views!

Did you venture as far as Bangor? There are a couple of nice long tunnels between Conwy and Bangor

I'm heading back to Pembroke in a few weeks for a family venture. Unfortunately it looks like being M4 all the way . Any suggestions for good roads in S.Wales?
We stopped an Llanberis for a meal break and when we left it was 5.20pm and two of the members were starting work at 6.00pm so we decided at that point to head back.

I did the Evo triangle twice last year plus another fairly unknown road called the Twin Lakes which was even better, it was like a 5 mile tarmac rally stage.

Unfortunately the road to Pembroke is going to be a boring one as there is only one road to go on really - head for Tenby and just follow the signs for Pembroke.

If you are down in the Pembrokeshire area for a couple of days try the B4329 from Haverfordwest to Cardigan road, when you get to the top of the Preseli Mountain Range park up and have a look at the views.
Old 25 August 2010, 12:12 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I did the Evo triangle twice last year plus another fairly unknown road called the Twin Lakes which was even better, it was like a 5 mile tarmac rally stage.

Unfortunately the road to Pembroke is going to be a boring one as there is only one road to go on really - head for Tenby and just follow the signs for Pembroke.

If you are down in the Pembrokeshire area for a couple of days try the B4329 from Haverfordwest to Cardigan road, when you get to the top of the Preseli Mountain Range park up and have a look at the views.
Will look up the Twin Lakes to see if it worth a drive from Pembroke... sounds fantastic as well.

Had a feeling it was going to be like that. Might take a (long) detour up the A470, A40 and back down the A483 to stace off some of the boredom.

I'll be therefor a few days so will take a tour to the Preseli Mountain Range as suggested - thanks for the pointer
Old 25 August 2010, 12:22 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Will look up the Twin Lakes to see if it worth a drive from Pembroke... sounds fantastic as well.

Had a feeling it was going to be like that. Might take a (long) detour up the A470, A40 and back down the A483 to stace off some of the boredom.

I'll be therefor a few days so will take a tour to the Preseli Mountain Range as suggested - thanks for the pointer
Just a word of warning - the Twin Lakes road is off the Evo Triangle not in Pembrokeshire.
Old 25 August 2010, 03:00 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Some good shots there...

Rossi

I live down in pembs theres quite a few nice roads, try going down to castle martin to bosherston and freshwater west, thier nice beaches as well. If you get lost give me a shout
Old 25 August 2010, 03:47 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Just a word of warning - the Twin Lakes road is off the Evo Triangle not in Pembrokeshire.
Cheers! That's if I get really bored.. I am with the missus parents after all

Originally Posted by Cd09
Rossi

I live down in pembs theres quite a few nice roads, try going down to castle martin to bosherston and freshwater west, thier nice beaches as well. If you get lost give me a shout
Thanks very much fella much appreciated, will get Googling...

Was also thinking of trying the Black Mountain Pass...
Old 25 August 2010, 05:11 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Was also thinking of trying the Black Mountain Pass...
I might know that road just a little...
Old 25 August 2010, 08:26 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

2am -Abergavenny -Brecon - Llandovery - down to M4 past Dan can bog off caves.

Very fast run.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:06 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
2am -Abergavenny -Brecon - Llandovery - down to M4 past Dan can bog off caves.

Very fast run.
If you come down to Ystalafera you can pick up the a4069 and go over the Black Mountains road.

From there head through Llangadog then Llandeilo down to Carmarthen, then onwards to Tenby.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:16 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

some stunning shots there matey , very nice
Old 28 August 2010, 07:49 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygreg
some stunning shots there matey , very nice
Thanks.