My type-r

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2009, 03:27 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My type-r

Hi

Ive had this type-R about 6months, its my 1st subaru and this is the 1st picture ive posted, tbh its no different to all the rest, its currently at API having the engine rebuilt, some of you may recall my rolling road disaster a few weeks back, i cant wait to get it back with refreshed engine and a little more power.
http://
Im not 100% exactly sure what model it is as i dont know to much about subarus, ive been told its a v5 as it has the coil pack offcenter, origonally i bought it believing it was a v6, it has wrx decals and STI badges, also has blue seats, i think this makes it a v-limited, can anybody tell me for sure what i have and is it an STI.

All help most welcome

Thanks Tristan
Old 21 December 2009, 03:34 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

hello mate i think yours is a version 6, not 100% but i think the hi level spoiler was only on the v6 and above so unless someone has changed it to a high level. i have a v5 and my had a low level spoiler looks nice tho .....wat happened on the rollin road?
Old 21 December 2009, 03:45 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, ive been told its a v5 due to having the coil pack to one side, so probably had the high level wing added later on, took the car to dyno demon on the wirral, purely to see if the car was running as it should as its a fresh import and hasnt had a remap, turns out it wasnt running right and the fueling was out, and the engine went pop on the rolling road, fairly gutted to say the least, i hadnt counted on having to rebuild the engine so soon, or at all, should have had it remapped straight away, but you live and learn i suppose.

Thanks Tristan
Old 21 December 2009, 03:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Version 6's have the same engines as version 5's but yours is a version 5 limited, the T plate gives that away, also check the seatbelts for the date of manufacture and your chassis number should also tell you that, plus version 6 limiteds have a nice blue surround on the centre console and you need to depress the clutch to start them

Tony
Old 21 December 2009, 03:52 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

looks good anyway, bet you can't wait to get her back!!!!
Old 21 December 2009, 03:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Dont think yours is the first at dd to go pop on their rollers.... do a search over the last couple of weeks in tech general I think....!
You need to run these cars on super (99+ ron fuel) as they are mapped for 100 ron min in japan and their knock correction isnt exactly amazing, plus have a look in the group buys for a ks3 knock sensor, costs just over 200 quid but is well worth it as it makes a nice sound when it detects det in your engine.
If you want an engine builder recommendation in your area then I suggest Prosport in stockport

Tony
Old 21 December 2009, 04:30 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

yeh wouldnt mind it back now really, just for a blast in all this snow!, it does have the blue dash surround and you have to press clutch to start it, so i suppose its a v6 then?, now im getting confused, its allready been recovered to API so i hope its in good hands there. also wouldnt run it on anything other than v-power

Thanks Tristan

Last edited by trio; 21 December 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 21 December 2009, 04:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The wheels are version 6 wheels, still like you say that reg puzzles me too, should be atleast a V or even a W for a MY00 car, so looks like you have a version 6 then
I would say if you need your car on a rolling road next time then use Prosport, and nothing wrong with using API for your engine rebuild, but when you have someone who is more than just a little bit good around the corner, I would use them

Tony
Old 21 December 2009, 04:40 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

API are up there with the best of them you will have no probs with them , as above been a few at DD gone bang, if you live in the North West i too can recommend Pro Sport in stockport had my 6 speed clutch done there , bit closer for you .

Mark
Old 21 December 2009, 04:54 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

thanks for the helpfull info guys, think il stay with API now its been recovered to them, dont really want to be moving it all over the country, to be honest i would be a bit dubious of putting my car on a dyno again, after its costing me mega bucks to fix for the cost of a 35quid rolling road printout, il just leave my power figures to the imagination in the future.

Thanks Tristan
Old 21 December 2009, 07:05 PM
Hellbound
Scooby Newbie

Out of curiosity, whats the ball park figure for the cost of an engine rebuild these days?
Old 21 December 2009, 07:19 PM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

Great car this.

Sorry to hear about your rolling road disaster Tristan, don't let it put you off running it on one again though.

Neil (painter )
Old 21 December 2009, 07:24 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Well the rear spoiler is from a version 6 (the version 5 doesnt have the small lip at the top)
The wheels are the standard version 6 wheels
And the front splitter is the original version 6

Personally I think it looks to be like a version 6 WRC edition

The only way to check for sure is to post the chassis number on here once you get the car back

Anyway it looks a stunning mate!!